Menu

Ignore this thread!

My kids eat paper, it seems. Not literally, but the way they turn into zombies "must.have.paper" when we're out of paper... it's quite something. Who knew paper was so addictive?

I did! I limit them to 10 pieces a day which makes them take their drawing more seriously. When they had unlimited paper they would literally draw a line on a piece of paper and throw it away. I found a stack of like 200 pieces of paper each with a line on them. Some people say I'm mean but I think it's better for them.

• Like 1

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Matt and I were married in November of 2006. He had 2 desktops, a laptop and an extra hard drive, all for different reasons. I didn't want that many computers so I bought him one new computer that did everything the 3 did combined. Almost exactly 11 years later that computer is going to the dump. RIP.

• Like 2

We can eat inside our Sonic. There's only like 2 tables and I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually do it, but it is an option.

Ours has a whole bunch of tables inside. 

Matt and I were married in November of 2006. He had 2 desktops, a laptop and an extra hard drive, all for different reasons. I didn't want that many computers so I bought him one new computer that did everything the 3 did combined. Almost exactly 11 years later that computer is going to the dump. RIP.

I'm just glad that the 3(+?) CRT monitors stayed in Texas when we moved to NY.

• Like 1

I have made meat pies, but not empanadas. The ones I did were more of a traditional Scottish meat pie. I would at least do one or two tonight to see what that GF crust does. How long will your GF dough hold? Mine is generally good for about 24 hours. Once baked, the quality degrades pretty quickly, so I would bake them tomorrow. The filling I think you could do anytime. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

I am supposed to feed the children tonight. I don't wanna.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I'm glad my two are old enough to mostly feed themselves. I plain won't cook tonight. I cooked and did dishes for almost two days straight and I'm done.

I love cooking, but enough is enough.

• Like 2

I got more stuff done, including cleaning out under the chaise lounge ( :w00t: ), and dusting and vacuuming the main living areas.  Tomorrow I'll focus on the kitchen and clean the kitchen bathroom.  SO nice not to have to cram it all into one day.  

Some day I'm going to work on our bedroom and bathroom.   :svengo:

• Like 5

Oh I made the most colossal mess ever on the deck while trying to fill my bird feeders.  One bird feeder had the bottom come out after I had filled it all up and the bird food went cascading everywhere.  And the other one was just me half missing the opening.  Cuz graceful.  Don't tell dh.  Hopefully he won't look out the window. 

• Like 4

DH and I took a walk. We’re still talking about that house. The one I like. The old one. Sigh. We (actually he) overthinks things. It’s a nice day for a walk. Very warm. I have the windows open. And it’s the end of November.

I’m making turkey tetrazzini for dinner. I make it once a year. The day after Thanksgiving.

• Like 4

Has anyone made empanada?  (Latino meat pies).  Should I make them today for tomorrow?  Or just the dough?  Or the filling?  Or both?  Assemble them but bake them tomorrow?  Do it all tomorrow?  It's basically a gf pie crust with a ground beef/ veg. mixture inside that's folded over and crimped and baked.

So, there are various styles of empanadas.  If I were you, I'd make the filling and the dough separately today, but not assemble or bake them. Are you baking? Or are you deep fat frying them and them keeping them warm in the oven?

My Colombian friend's empanada recipe....it's not written well, but the ratios are right. I make either beef or chicken  and use the mixture of onions/tomatoes/rice/potatoes with either.

Dough ingredients:

7 cups of P.A.N flour (you can find it at Walmart, HEB, next to GOYA products in the international food section)

6 cups of warm water 

1/8 cup of butter (dissolved in the warm water)

2 tablespoons of salt (depending on how salty you like them)

1 tablespoon of Sazón Goya (the one that says "coriander and annatto")

Filling Ingredients:

6 Medium russets potatoes

2 cups of rice

1 1/2 lb ground beef

1 1/2 lb chicken breast tenders

4 Green onions 

6 Bulb onions 

10 Tomatoes 

3 Tablespoons of Triguisar (found at any Latin store. It is basically a mix of Cumin, salt, garlic, pepper)

Mix the P.A.N with warm water that has the butter dissolved in it. Then add salt, and the Sazón Goya. Knead the dough. 

In a separate pan cook the ground beef only with salt and Triguisar or the ingredients that make Triguisar. No need to use oil. 

Cook the chicken in water with salt and Triguisar. 

Boil the potatoes and smash them or use instant mash potatoes. 

Cook the rice

Make the mixture: dice the onions in small pieces, and the tomatoes too. Fry them in olive oil and add Triguisar 

Mix the mixture in the cooked ground beef and then mix it with the mashed potatoes and rice. 

Form about 1/2 cup of dough into a ball and then flatten it.  Put about 1/8 a cup of mixture inside, and then fold the dough over to make a half circle.  Use a small bowl to press out a half circle around the dough with the mixture inside.  Fry in olive oil or vegetable oil and enjoy!

Dipping sauce:

1 chile serrano cut in small pieces 

Salt

4 cups of room temperature water

Bulb and green Onions

Cilantro

Mash the Serrano with salt, add the water. Cut the onions in very small pieces and put them in the water. Cut cilantro and put it in the water too. Mix it all and enjoy!

• Like 1

Our printer says we're low on C, Y, and M (some have been low longer than others). So, now I get to decide if I want to buy some really cheap knockoff as a lightning deal on Amazon, or if I want to spend $$$ on the real stuff. The knockoff is about $40 for C, Y, M, and B altogether (before the lightning deal... I don't know how much cheaper it's still going to get). The real deal is about $56 each. BUT, the knockoff has some bad reviews saying that they leaked all over the printer, and a picture comparing the color quality to the real thing, and it's quite a difference. But, it also has a lot of good reviews, and for most of the stuff I print it doesn't need to be true to color. Decisions, decisions. 

Do you belong to amazon pantry? The pantry prices are WAY cheaper than regular amazon.  I paid $20 for all three a while ago....

My friend adopted my plant babies today.  She has a degree in horticulture and the magic touch.  My tropicals aren't happy at my house in the winter.  I don't have enough shelter to leave them outside--I live on a high hill that gets all of the wind-- and they aren't happy inside my house.  She has a much more sheltered backyard.  I'm going to miss talking to them in the morning.

• Like 2

So, there are various styles of empanadas. If I were you, I'd make the filling and the dough separately today, but not assemble or bake them. Are you baking? Or are you deep fat frying them and them keeping them warm in the oven?

My Colombian friend's empanada recipe....it's not written well, but the ratios are right. I make either beef or chicken and use the mixture of onions/tomatoes/rice/potatoes with either.

Dough ingredients:

7 cups of P.A.N flour (you can find it at Walmart, HEB, next to GOYA products in the international food section)

6 cups of warm water

1/8 cup of butter (dissolved in the warm water)

2 tablespoons of salt (depending on how salty you like them)

1 tablespoon of Sazón Goya (the one that says "coriander and annatto")

Filling Ingredients:

6 Medium russets potatoes

2 cups of rice

1 1/2 lb ground beef

1 1/2 lb chicken breast tenders

4 Green onions

6 Bulb onions

10 Tomatoes

3 Tablespoons of Triguisar (found at any Latin store. It is basically a mix of Cumin, salt, garlic, pepper)

Mix the P.A.N with warm water that has the butter dissolved in it. Then add salt, and the Sazón Goya. Knead the dough.

In a separate pan cook the ground beef only with salt and Triguisar or the ingredients that make Triguisar. No need to use oil.

Cook the chicken in water with salt and Triguisar.

Boil the potatoes and smash them or use instant mash potatoes.

Cook the rice

Make the mixture: dice the onions in small pieces, and the tomatoes too. Fry them in olive oil and add Triguisar

Mix the mixture in the cooked ground beef and then mix it with the mashed potatoes and rice.

Form about 1/2 cup of dough into a ball and then flatten it. Put about 1/8 a cup of mixture inside, and then fold the dough over to make a half circle. Use a small bowl to press out a half circle around the dough with the mixture inside. Fry in olive oil or vegetable oil and enjoy!

Dipping sauce:

1 chile serrano cut in small pieces

Salt

4 cups of room temperature water

Bulb and green Onions

Cilantro

Mash the Serrano with salt, add the water. Cut the onions in very small pieces and put them in the water. Cut cilantro and put it in the water too. Mix it all and enjoy!

Nice recipe. It has some similarities to my Filipino one. Ground beef, peas, carrots, potatoes and raisins in a tomato sauce. My dough will be gluten free though so I am experimenting with that.