• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I have braved the stores that sell food today in search of tart cherries suitable for making cherry pie. There were none to be had. I could go to the AFSA, but I'm not that brave.

So I put cherry pie on my Christmas "must make" list and might just make a blackberry cobbler for Thanksgiving. :drool5: Cheaper and goes great with ice cream or whipped cream.

• Like 2

I have braved the stores that sell food today in search of tart cherries suitable for making cherry pie. There were none to be had. I could go to the AFSA, but I'm not that brave.

So I put cherry pie on my Christmas "must make" list and might just make a blackberry cobbler for Thanksgiving. :drool5: Cheaper and goes great with ice cream or whipped cream.

Are cherries even in season?  Here they are only in season for the summer months.  I would have to get canned cherry filling at this time of year. 

• Like 1

Are cherries even in season?  Here they are only in season for the summer months.  I would have to get canned cherry filling at this time of year. 

They are never in season here. No such thing as fresh tart cherries in this part of the world, ever. 

I have seriously considered trying to grow my own trees.

We can buy sweet cherries in the summer, and I have made sweet cherry pie, but it's not my favorite. That's why I was looking for just jarred or canned cherries, and not the pie filling. 

They have plenty of pie filling, but I don't care for it. Mostly too sweet, and not clean tasting.

• Like 1

:smilielol5: I'm sorry-this just made me laugh aloud. Seriously, who taught them how to sell???

To be fair this is the store that has JUST reopened after massive Harvey damage, and they had a lot of new things dumped on them all at once, things that had trickled in while they were closed.  Plus they have a store with a new layout, but built on a slab meant for the old layout, so there are work-arounds that make their systems a little flaky to deal with.  Everyone is coming up to speed in a hurry, too, because their annual reviews are also coming due.

The young man in question continued on to explain about the rewards program without even taking a breath, so my puzzled expression didn't last long.  He was very nice and clearly didn't mean the statement to sound like a dig, so I just moved on.  But I did find it amusing, and had to share here.   :laugh:

• Like 2

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Monday before Thanksgiving!!!ðŸ—🗠We are doing 2 days of school this week because we need to. #keeppluggingaway.

Us, too.  We edumacated ourselves yesterday and will do so today and Tuesday.

We just had a week off recently, though, so it's not so bad.

• Like 2

They are never in season here. No such thing as fresh tart cherries in this part of the world, ever. 

I have seriously considered trying to grow my own trees.

We can buy sweet cherries in the summer, and I have made sweet cherry pie, but it's not my favorite. That's why I was looking for just jarred or canned cherries, and not the pie filling. 

They have plenty of pie filling, but I don't care for it. Mostly too sweet, and not clean tasting.

How about frozen cherries?  Are they any good?

• Like 1

They're crafting. My children are desperately deprived because we don't do macaroni style crafts so MIL week is always craft week. She brought a dollar store turkey thing that I'm going to throw away as soon as she leaves, a Frozen thing Mary will probably have to be buried with, and a tie dye kit.

:grouphug:

I hate junky crafts.

• Like 4

How about frozen cherries?  Are they any good?

Sadly, they had no frozen tart cherries, or I would have tried that. But they tend to have texture problems and get a little muddy in flavor, too. 

I found cherries on the Amazon, but at 30$ for enough of the really good kind, I'm not sure it's worth it.  :sad: Maybe they will go on sale soon, and I can get some.

Have you tried the European aisle? I recall seeing jarred cherries there, but I'm not 100% sure if they were tart... I think they were though. 

• Like 1

It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. I can make a knock-your-socks off blackberry cobbler that's going to look like pie--delicate thin crust, crispy and delicious with melting blackberries, picked locally at their prime and frozen immediately. So it will all be good.

• Like 2

Have you tried the European aisle? I recall seeing jarred cherries there, but I'm not 100% sure if they were tart... I think they were though. 

I'd have to drive two hours one way to the nearest place with a European aisle. 

However, I am due to work there at the end of this week. I will have a good scout around while I'm there.

• Like 2

I thought of something I needed to add to my to do list so I went to my planner and picked up a pen. Now I can't remember what I wanted to write down before I forgot.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

:grouphug:   Welcome to my reality.

• Like 2

I thought of something I needed to add to my to do list so I went to my planner and picked up a pen. Now I can't remember what I wanted to write down before I forgot.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

We’ll send you a personal assistant from the ITT Island who specializes in mind-reading.

Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

:grouphug:

I hate junky crafts.

Yo tambien. My children are certainly not lacking for creative outlets. As long as she doesn't pull out geography tests I won't complain. I know she's unhappy about the fact that Mary can't read but she doesn't say anything to us.

I am almost through the laundry chores today. I normally do linens on Sunday, but I forgot. 

I do not like this laundry chore,

When I forget it seems like more,

As if at night, whilst I slept,

Little brownies slipt and crept,

To the hampers and crammed them stuft,

Then added sheets and blankets fluft,

Until the danged thing overflowed:

Mount Washmore set to explode.

• Like 6

I am almost through the laundry chores today. I normally do linens on Sunday, but I forgot. 

I do not like this laundry chore,

When I forget it seems like more,

As if at night, whilst I slept,

Little brownies slipt and crept,

To the hampers and crammed them stuft,

Then added sheets and blankets fluft,

Until the danged thing overflowed:

Mount Washmore set to explode.

Argh!

• Like 1

I have folded and put away laundry. Put the kids to various projects. Assisted with music practice. Put soup in the IP (Krissi's potato soup!). Put all bathroom rugs and shower curtains in the washer. Edited & printed dd8's music. Cut/paste/copied other kids' orchestra music. I need to wipe out the oven a bit and then start the self cleaning cycle before we leave for music lessons and choir. The stove is in desperate need of scrubbing but I think I will have dd11 do that to help pay for her violin repair.

• Like 4

No poo yet. What if he just holds it for days and then the moment my back is turned I find him grouched over something that looks like it must’ve come out of a grizzly bear? I’m afeard.

Someone else finished off the brownies. 😢

I remember potty training DS. He was still in a pull-up and every time he had to poop he’s hide in the corner of the closet and squat and poop in his pull-up. One day, I caught him doing it and I grabbed him and ran to the bathroom with him and ripped off the pull-up and plunked him on the potty and he pooped in there and I gave him his reward and then he pooped in the potty.
  • Like 4

Edpo:

Ugh... I'm having one of those weeks (I'm including the ending of last week) where I'm like "maybe Celery should repeat a grade", but I know that in reality it'd probably make more sense to wait until 8th grade and then decide if I want to do grade 8a and grade 8b or something. Of course, I also don't know what the school district would say... they can decline letting me let him repeat a grade... not sure what would happen if they did that, since it's up to me whether I graduate him or not... so, if they were to refuse to let him do 8th grade twice, would I just submit IHIPs for 9th grade while doing 8th grade again at home, and then just graduate him a year after the school district thinks he should be done (still reporting only 4 years of high school to colleges, since in *my* school he'd have done only 4 years of high school, since the school district isn't the graduating authority?). Probably something that belongs on, I dunno, Gen Ed or the high school board or something? He's just so 2E, and his struggles with writing, paying attention, and other ASD stuff are sometimes just driving me batty, and with a late August birthday it wouldn't be crazy at all for him to repeat a grade at some point (if he doesn't repeat a grade, he'd graduate at 17 because of that late summer birthday). 

Yo tambien. My children are certainly not lacking for creative outlets. As long as she doesn't pull out geography tests I won't complain. I know she's unhappy about the fact that Mary can't read but she doesn't say anything to us.

Mary's 4?  :confused1:  Is MIL overachiever?

I never potty trained my kids. I have easy kids. So far.

MIL wants to do things and I don't wanna do things but she wants me to do the things. Bah humbug.

Aren't you convalescing? Maybe MIL and kids can do things while you nap.

I remember potty training DS. He was still in a pull-up and every time he had to poop he’s hide in the corner of the closet and squat and poop in his pull-up. One day, I caught him doing it and I grabbed him and ran to the bathroom with him and ripped off the pull-up and plunked him on the potty and he pooped in there and I gave him his reward and then he pooped in the potty.

My DS wouldn't go on the potty until some punk toddler told him he was a baby for still wearing pull ups. I vote hire a 3yr old to call him a baby.  :hat:

• Like 5