• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I played the part of fun mom last night and made Gingerbread Hexenhaus with the kids. (What's a Hexenhaus? hexenhaus pictures) )  Triangles are so much easier to work with than rectangles.

My creamy potato & leek soup recipe is Emeril's without the white wine (I just use more broth). http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/potato-and-leek-soup-recipe2.html

My broth based soup recipe is one of those "pinch of this and that" style recipes...

Cook the bacon (diced) and render the fat down.

Set the bacon aside.

Cook leek or white onion and garlic in the bacon fat.  Dump the contents of the skillet into the bottom of your stockpot.

Add chicken broth/base + water (I use the powdered base from Costco--Orrington Farm's chicken).

Add diced potatoes.

Toss in your spices: I use white pepper, sage, thyme, rosemary, a bit of parsley, and usually 3 bay leaves

Sometimes I add julienned carrot, most of the time I don't.

Cook it for at least an hour until the potatoes are soft. Top with bacon. Eat it. Don't both pureeing it because nobody ain't got time for that.

• Like 8

Good Morning.

I have an important PSA:  Today is NATIONAL BROWNIE DAY!!!

My grade 7 baking class (aka dd11) will be participating.  Oooh.  And I think that we have vanilla ice cream left from our root beer floats last week.  And Hershey's dark chocolate syrup.  And whipped cream!!

Guess what I might be having for with lunch today??

• Like 10

Tex,

I almost forgot.   :hurray:  on finding the key.  I had to hunt for dd5's extra bi-focals* the other day and couldn't find them.  After a full day (and dd5 falling off of at least one chair), dh found them in a drawer in the cabinet in our closet.

I had looked everywhere I could think of, but none of those places were the right ones.  I need a better hiding spot...

*The only explanation I got for the mangled glasses was "She was in a box and she fell over." :glare:  I was too afraid to ask any questions.  :laugh:

• Like 4

So, today, I have to go downtown and get a new ID so I can write tickets for people who park illegally in handicapped spaces. I've been deputized for over a year and have not written a single ticket. I'm such a slacker.

I have been taking a boatload of NatureThroid since September? and I am feeling way better than I have in a long time. I think Hashimoto and I are giving each other a good fight.

Mr. Ellie is taking off work tomorrow so we can go to Fredericksburg. It isn't the first time we've been there, and we'll just walk around and look in the shops we've looked in before, but it's a nice little staycation. :-)

We have friends coming over Saturday for our annual Christmas Dinner. I'll be going through my favorite cookbooks looking for recipes to wow us all. The following Saturday we've invited lots of people over for a Christmas potluck dinner and ornament exchange. I feel compelled to do things like this to justify having bought all that Christmas china and decorating the house such that it looks like an explosion in a Christmas factory. :laugh:

I wish all my ITT peeps lived close enough to join in the fun.

• Like 11

So, today, I have to go downtown and get a new ID so I can write tickets for people who park illegally in handicapped spaces. I've been deputized for over a year and have not written a single ticket. I'm such a slacker.

I have been taking a boatload of NatureThroid since September? and I am feeling way better than I have in a long time. I think Hashimoto and I are giving each other a good fight.

Mr. Ellie is taking off work tomorrow so we can go to Fredericksburg. It isn't the first time we've been there, and we'll just walk around and look in the shops we've looked in before, but it's a nice little staycation. :-)

We have friends coming over Saturday for our annual Christmas Dinner. I'll be going through my favorite cookbooks looking for recipes to wow us all. The following Saturday we've invited lots of people over for a Christmas potluck dinner and ornament exchange. I feel compelled to do things like this to justify having bought all that Christmas china and decorating the house such that it looks like an explosion in a Christmas factory. :laugh:

Hahahha ITT peeps :)

Dat was cute,

And natural thyroid. I should try it. Mil has been saying for awhile.

My thyroid just keeps getting worse. Ugh

Ellie Re you on va?

I was born in mary Washington hsop :)

Edited by Kat w

Me too. I even love that yellow squash casserole with the cracker topping.

I forgot about putting it in a casserr.

I usuly cook in in the pan with olive oil and garlic and sprinkle asiavo cheese on it while its still warm.

I love casserles tho. Ones I can freeze and cook later :)

They r good raw too. I tell my kids they r lime...chips! Lol

Yea. ..they dint see the correlation :)

Raw green beans a good finger food too

• Like 1

Hahahha ITT peeps :)

Dat was cute,

And natural thyroid. I should try it. Mil has been saying for awhile.

My thyroid just keeps getting worse. Ugh

Ellie Re you on va?

I was born in mary Washington hsop :)

Yes, you should try natural thyroid. Most people feel better on it. The problem is that so many doctors refuse to prescribe it, or refuse to prescribe it in a high enough dosage to actually make their patients feel better. :cursing:

No, I'm not in Virginia currently. I was born at the Portsmouth Naval Hospital in Norfolk, though, and I have ancestors on my father's side in Williamsburg pre-Revolutionary War. I am truly a Virginian:

To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign country and a Benediction from Above.

On my mother's side, I have ancestors on the Outer Banks of North Carolina in the early 1700s, and so I am also truly a Tar Heel. :001_smile:

• Like 4

Tex,

I almost forgot.   :hurray:  on finding the key.  I had to hunt for dd5's extra bi-focals* the other day and couldn't find them.  After a full day (and dd5 falling off of at least one chair), dh found them in a drawer in the cabinet in our closet.

I had looked everywhere I could think of, but none of those places were the right ones.  I need a better hiding spot...

*The only explanation I got for the mangled glasses was "She was in a box and she fell over." :glare:  I was too afraid to ask any questions.  :laugh:

:lol: I hide things really well, too.  For safe keeping and all. :mellow:   It was in the second spot I looked, though I had moved the box it was in, and I at first couldn't recall the spot I moved it to. :lol:

• Like 4

Ellie is the po po! :hat:  :lol:  :gnorsi:

• Like 9

Woke up late and had a hard morning. Matt set the kids room to too hot and they woke up sick. :( They've sine had breakfast and are now watching Frozen and playing with Legos.

The "package" was a certified letter from the IRS. :glare:. Remember how I said we are behind on bills? Well the letter said that if we didn't pay in full in the next 60 days they would withhold it from our federal return. I read it as we're going to take it from the method you planned to pay with anyway, so feel free to skip the next two payments. Okay. That works.

Mary was pushing her popper around "fukuuming." She wouldn't say it in front of the camera. John was appalled.

• Like 4

Does this sort of thing happen to you?  I was in the parking lot of a store yesterday.  I got out just as the person in the car next to me got out.  Our eyes met so I nodded and smiled.  She said "Hi" so I responded with a "Hi, how are you?"  And she started to tell me.  In detail!  I don't mind really but I had no context for her problems.  I just listened and said "I hope it works out" and walked on.  My kids were snorting and saying "do you know her?"  Well, no.  But this happens to me all . the . time. 

• Like 5

Does this sort of thing happen to you?  I was in the parking lot of a store yesterday.  I got out just as the person in the car next to me got out.  Our eyes met so I nodded and smiled.  She said "Hi" so I responded with a "Hi, how are you?"  And she started to tell me.  In detail!  I don't mind really but I had no context for her problems.  I just listened and said "I hope it works out" and walked on.  My kids were snorting and saying "do you know her?"  Well, no.  But this happens to me all . the . time. 

Yes.  One time in the line at Old Navy a lady told me her boyfriend problems.  She was middle aged and crying.  I told her maybe that guy was not the one for her.  I hope it worked out well for her.  She was in distress.

People sense when someone is not judgmental.  

• Like 5

We had a similar meteorologist experience a few years ago.....  We were living in Kansas City and Katie Horner was on the air talking about the severe weather.  Which, admittedly, sometimes is severe and sometimes people do die.  But she was all, "People are going to die tonight".... She became known as Tornado Katie and drinking games were made about her weather forecasts.

To her credit, people do become blasé about tornadoes in the Midwest, and her advice to take storms seriously is good advice.

• Like 7

We had a similar meteorologist experience a few years ago.....  We were living in Kansas City and Katie Horner was on the air talking about the severe weather.  Which, admittedly, sometimes is severe and sometimes people do die.  But she was all, "People are going to die tonight".... She became known as Tornado Katie and drinking games were made about her weather forecasts.

To her credit, people do become blasé about tornadoes in the Midwest, and her advice to take storms seriously is good advice.

Somebody watched my link. :laugh:

I thought she took it all in stride as good fun.  Nice lady.

We are walking around quoting her here.  My boys fail to see the humor, but little dd and I love it.

It is the same here in Texas with tornadoes and flooding.  Every time people wash away in deep water and die because they refuse to not drive into high waters.  A few miles from me, an older lady did this a few weeks ago, and a lady sheriff's deputy followed her in the water and tried to save her, endangering herself.  The deputy was found several hours later downstream clinging to a tree, but she could have been killed.  The older lady died.  100% preventable.  What a horrible way to die.  How awful to endanger the first responders trying to help you.

• Like 4

Good Tuesday Morning! 

Mark - how was the MRI ?  How are you?

Renai, I say take the gift back now while you can and buy yourself something instead, wrap it, put it under the tree.  If he didn't mind giving it to singer, he certainly won't mind that you "gave" it to yourself instead.  About wrapping paper, I would like to find some that doesn't rip so easily.  And, regarding your family tree, I remember the frustrating response from Soc. Sec. too.  So wish there was another way! 

Dawn, glad you are getting pain relief soon.  They should have taken care of that immediately!

Ducklings, keep cooking!

Slache, keep eating!

Tex, way to go locating the key!  I would have failed. 

Ikslo, which movie?

Tsuga, everything's better on the grill, right?

Krissi, meant to tell you the other day that your Booyah Christmas songs are nicely done.

Jean, way to go getting your treadmill walk in!

Susan, brain dead Tuesday!  Your last one before Christmas?

Kat w, Welcome!

Ellie, so glad you're here to kiss boo-boos and threaten violence where needed!

Hope everyone has a good day.  :)

ETA:  This Booyah is in honor of Krissi and her cool Christmas Booyah songs. 

Lynn is AWESOME. 

• Like 8

Ok, Slache, talk me through putting up a profile pic.

I have a mac, but I'm willing to buy a PC. ;)

My problem is that I have to resize stuff, and I'm too technophobe to find a tutorial to do it.

You can resize on sites like photobucket.  Free and so easy even I can do it.  It sometimes takes several tries to get it the right size, but it does work.

Woke up late and had a hard morning. Matt set the kids room to too hot and they woke up sick. :( They've sine had breakfast and are now watching Frozen and playing with Legos.

The "package" was a certified letter from the IRS. :glare:. Remember how I said we are behind on bills? Well the letter said that if we didn't pay in full in the next 60 days they would withhold it from our federal return. I read it as we're going to take it from the method you planned to pay with anyway, so feel free to skip the next two payments. Okay. That works.

Mary was pushing her popper around "fukuuming." She wouldn't say it in front of the camera. John was appalled.

I like Mary.

(Not the IRS. )

• Like 3

Ok, Slache, talk me through putting up a profile pic.

I have a mac, but I'm willing to buy a PC. ;)

My problem is that I have to resize stuff, and I'm too technophobe to find a tutorial to do it.

You can do it at picmonkey without creating an account. You don't have to buy a PC, but I'm secretly judging you for owning a Mac.

I own both, if that helps. I hate windows8 with a passion and even ubuntu can be a pain in the butt. I puffy heart love my mac.

I reformat my computers to 7. Pastor hated his new one. I asked if I could reformat it to 7 and he said no. I did it behind his back and now he loves it. I also gave him chrome. "Firefox is so easy to use now!" You're welcome. Give me a raise.

• Like 3

Only since Junie arrived.

And I'm the President too. 

Everybody should be required to watch your link.  Nobody's taking this thread seriously today.  

Thank you for the reminder. :laugh:

I agree that everyone should have to watch it. :hat: No one should be able to read further in the thread until they watch it.  It's only about two minutes, and it is kid friendly.

• Like 2