• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

So glad to hear this.  DD 13 loooooves Legos.  And anything piratical.

ETA:  OMW, 2 BooyAs in one night!

BOOYA

And again the song, started by Renai and magnified by Susan:

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue posting forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

This is the thread that never ends..

If only I had read the words to the song before my first post on this thread a week ago...

• Like 1

If I'm pregnant with a girl and we're assuming I already have everything I need then I want...

Brand new soft blankets and towels.

Brand new pretty girly bottles.

A new pretty (but practical) outfit.

A splurge item I have yet to get because we couldn't afford it before.

My favorite go to baby items for purchase are...

Aden + Anai blankets.

Wabanub (pacifier attached to beanie so they can corral them in the crib at a younger age).

Itzbeen timer.

• Like 1

Good morning!

We are waiting for the rains to come. Dd17 has a dentist appointment and is worried about driving through the deluge, so I may take her. (I was so sure we were done with appointments! Ha!)

Dawn - I sure hope dd feels better soon!

I am glad I have no reason to buy Legos at this time in my life. :D

• Like 5

Dawn, hope she feels better soon and you enjoy a relaxing, laid back kind of day.

Susan, driving dd sounds like a good idea.  Looking forward to a stay-at-home day soon!  (I might actually slip out to Kohls this afternoon to exchange a shirt and use Kohls cash for a Christmas present.  That sounds like such a crazy thing to do in the middle of the week!)

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Btw - a PSA for Lego shoppers - the time to order Legos is now.  Dh told me a while back that Lego shortages are predicted this Christmas.  When I shopped last night, one item was out of stock with an expected ship date of Nov 30.  Another item was sold out. 

Thank you.  I remember reading this, too, but I had forgotten.

• Like 3

So much sickness starting to go around. I hope everyone feels better.

:iagree:

Dd16 has been sick. She got it at public school. It was so bad there that they were talking about shutting the school down. But they haven't, of course. Then Susan and her dd, I think Lynn's ds, and more from ITT.

:grouphug: to all

• Like 2

Thank you.  I remember reading this, too, but I had forgotten.

This happens a lot of years. I'd say every year but I'm sure there's exceptions here and there.

I would predict that it will be especially hard to find things this year because of Star Wars being released just before Christmas. Even non Star Wars sets will sell out just because people will want to buy more than one thing.

We already bought our LEGO Star Wars Advent calendar while we were in Florida because by the time we got back here two days after Halloween we knew they'd be gone.

• Like 2

Comparing sets in the lego catalog - the star wars sets are really disappointing, imho.  Maybe it has always been this way.  But there's such a huge price difference compared to other sets - and nothing very enticing in the way of mini-figs or other accessories.  I chose one star wars set but only one because I though they were pathetic and over priced, (more over priced than usual?)

• Like 3

Comparing sets in the lego catalog - the star wars sets are really disappointing, imho.  Maybe it has always been this way.  But there's such a huge price difference compared to other sets - and nothing very enticing in the way of mini-figs or other accessories.  I chose one star wars set but only one because I though they were pathetic and over priced, (more over priced than usual?)

I'm biased because I'm a huge LEGO fan, but typically the Star Wars sets have more custom pieces (different screen printing or a few small "it can only be this thing" pieces but fewer huge "this one piece is basically half the model" pieces, which makes the price a little higher. They also tend to have more pieces overall.

There are quite a few LEGO Star Wars sets with a wide array of minifigs but they tend to be the smaller sets and the figures are more generic characters like battle droids or stormtroopers. For "face" characters they always split them up in order to make more sets appeal to buyers. They are a business in the end (but truly one of the more ethical ones in my opinion.)

A good set for a lot of face character heroes is the new Episode 7 Millenium Falcon set, but it'll set you back $150. It comes with practically all of the heroes, though, including the two new protagonists, Han Solo, Chewy (my favorite obviously) and that new BB-8 droid that everybody seems to love. But yeah: expensive.

The reason for the price is the quality of the plastic and the tight engineering specs on each block. Blocks from a set you buy today will still fit blocks you might have saved from your childhood in the 70s/80s, because they are just amazing at getting the fit exactly right year after year. It's harder than it sounds. ;-)

If you're shopping online it's likely that you're only seeing a portion of the product line because they will sometimes not show sold out stuff. Toys R Us in our area has a pretty great selection (even better than our local LEGO Store.)

• Like 2

You are so radical! :D

My wife is addicted to Kohl's cash, Kohl's charge incentives, and Kohl's discounts. I mean, when I say addicted I mean like $50/month, but boy is she into the bargain shopping.

If it's not clearance, it's not really on sale. I'm just sayin'. The "original price" is always baloney and the "discount" is fictional.

Gripe gripe gripe.

• Like 5

My wife is addicted to Kohl's cash, Kohl's charge incentives, and Kohl's discounts. I mean, when I say addicted I mean like $50/month, but boy is she into the bargain shopping.

If it's not clearance, it's not really on sale. I'm just sayin'. The "original price" is always baloney and the "discount" is fictional.

Gripe gripe gripe.

The Kohl's clearance racks are some of the best deals around! You really have to go often and look through everything, but it can be worth it when you find what you need.

I laugh at their regular prices on packages of underwear. I mean really - there is a Walmart right next door!

I'm biased because I'm a huge LEGO fan, but typically the Star Wars sets have more custom pieces (different screen printing or a few small "it can only be this thing" pieces but fewer huge "this one piece is basically half the model" pieces, which makes the price a little higher. They also tend to have more pieces overall.

There are quite a few LEGO Star Wars sets with a wide array of minifigs but they tend to be the smaller sets and the figures are more generic characters like battle droids or stormtroopers. For "face" characters they always split them up in order to make more sets appeal to buyers. They are a business in the end (but truly one of the more ethical ones in my opinion.)

A good set for a lot of face character heroes is the new Episode 7 Millenium Falcon set, but it'll set you back $150. It comes with practically all of the heroes, though, including the two new protagonists, Han Solo, Chewy (my favorite obviously) and that new BB-8 droid that everybody seems to love. But yeah: expensive.

The reason for the price is the quality of the plastic and the tight engineering specs on each block. Blocks from a set you buy today will still fit blocks you might have saved from your childhood in the 70s/80s, because they are just amazing at getting the fit exactly right year after year. It's harder than it sounds. ;-)

If you're shopping online it's likely that you're only seeing a portion of the product line because they will sometimes not show sold out stuff. Toys R Us in our area has a pretty great selection (even better than our local LEGO Store.)

Ds15 is a huge fan of the Star Wars Legos.  He has quite a collection by now.  He got the Millenium Falcon a few years ago.  He would have never asked for it (because frugal) but I knew about how much money his aunt was spending for Christmas, so I snuck it onto his Christmas list before I emailed it.

He loves the smaller sets that include the stormtroopers and battle droids.  He already has these sets, but he requested more so that he can have epic battles.

• Like 1

Ds15 is a huge fan of the Star Wars Legos.  He has quite a collection by now.  He got the Millenium Falcon a few years ago.  He would have never asked for it (because frugal) but I knew about how much money his aunt was spending for Christmas, so I snuck it onto his Christmas list before I emailed it.

He loves the smaller sets that include the stormtroopers and battle droids.  He already has these sets, but he requested more so that he can have epic battles.

Just FYI, the Millenium Falcon set now is a new one, with the new movie characters, and new appearance of the Falcon so that it's in synch with thew new movie... just sayin' ;-D

Just FYI, the Millenium Falcon set now is a new one, with the new movie characters, and new appearance of the Falcon so that it's in synch with thew new movie... just sayin' ;-D

He hasn't mentioned the new Millenium Falcon, but I know that he knows about it.  It took him a long time to compose his Christmas list because he studied each set carefully.

He was appalled (and pleased at the same time) that he got everything on his list last year.  It made it more difficult to make his list this year because he doesn't like people spending that much money.

• Like 2

My boys don't have Lego sets of any sort. I have this sort of phobia of toys that involve small pieces.  :willy_nilly:

It's okay. They get to play with those sort of things at Nana's house. :D

Ds15 has a lot of Legos, but they are not allowed out of his room.

The Lego clutter is contained.

• Like 1

He hasn't mentioned the new Millenium Falcon, but I know that he knows about it.  It took him a long time to compose his Christmas list because he studied each set carefully.

He was appalled (and pleased at the same time) that he got everything on his list last year.  It made it more difficult to make his list this year because he doesn't like people spending that much money.

My daughters are crazy spoiled. I mean, they don't have high expectations and ask for specific things, but if their loot is not up to snuff they will definitely notice. This is mostly my fault. When I was a single dad I'd shop clearance tables all over town just to make sure that my oldest had a big pile under the tree because my grandparents would lavish gifts on her cousins, but ignore her (because I was persona non grata for various family political reasons.) As I started to do better and better in my career I increased the prices of the gifts without reducing the quantity, because for awhile I still had that idea in my head (from my family) that a big pile was important and a demonstration of love, regard, etc.

So now they just sort of expect it. They won't complain, but they would be disappointed. Parenting fail, there. :-P

My boys don't have Lego sets of any sort. I have this sort of phobia of toys that involve small pieces.  :willy_nilly:

It's okay. They get to play with those sort of things at Nana's house. :D

!!!!!! UNFIT MOTHER !!!!!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 5

There's a non Lego Millennium Falcon at Costco that flies.

Yeah, it's neat, but it's a styrofoam bodied quad copter which means it has huge holes in it for the thrusters that sort of make it only look like the Falcon from the side. And if you crash it more than a couple times (almost inevitable when learning to fly a quadcopter especially if there's a breeze) it will likely be done for.

Not that I haven't been tempted. :)

Yeah, it's neat, but it's a styrofoam bodied quad copter which means it has huge holes in it for the thrusters that sort of make it only look like the Falcon from the side. And if you crash it more than a couple times (almost inevitable when learning to fly a quadcopter especially if there's a breeze) it will likely be done for.

Not that I haven't been tempted. :)

I don't care. I've only seen the first one and Lynn yelled at me for calling it A New Hope, so I won't be watching the rest.

• Like 1

The Lego clutter is contained.

It's the fact that it "exists" if you know what I mean...

I'm this way about anything with "pieces". Even puzzles now, I can't have them out, even if the pieces are neatly in their box and covered. They are there, and they are staring at me! I used to really like puzzles. I just can't take the separated look anymore. I still keep a few around and get them out at times to give myself a little immersion treatment- see if I can stand it-it's a no-go.

• Like 1

My daughters are crazy spoiled. I mean, they don't have high expectations and ask for specific things, but if their loot is not up to snuff they will definitely notice. This is mostly my fault. When I was a single dad I'd shop clearance tables all over town just to make sure that my oldest had a big pile under the tree because my grandparents would lavish gifts on her cousins, but ignore her (because I was persona non grata for various family political reasons.) As I started to do better and better in my career I increased the prices of the gifts without reducing the quantity, because for awhile I still had that idea in my head (from my family) that a big pile was important and a demonstration of love, regard, etc.

So now they just sort of expect it. They won't complain, but they would be disappointed. Parenting fail, there. :-P

Huge pile of presents here, too.  Because that's how I was raised.  When my parents didn't have a lot of income, they would wrap up everything:  markers, socks, etc. just to have a huge pile of presents.

I kind of do the same thing, because it's how I know Christmas morning.

• Like 2

I don't care. I've only seen the first one and Lynn yelled at me for calling it A New Hope, so I won't be watching the rest.

While I sympathize with "The Star Wars" purists, the truth is that you really can't help but call it "A New Hope" or "Episode IV" if you want anybody to know what you're talking about with 6 movies and dozens of other properties on television and video game systems which are also called "Star Wars"...

• Like 1

If it's any consolation, Lynn will probably yell at me for saying that the Expanded Universe is and always was all garbage and I'm glad that Disney declared it all non-canonical.

Of course, it would only be consolation if you had any idea what I was talking about. ;-)

• Like 3

It's the fact that it "exists" if you know what I mean...

I'm this way about anything with "pieces". Even puzzles now, I can't have them out, even if the pieces are neatly in their box and covered. They are there, and they are staring at me! I used to really like puzzles. I just can't take the separated look anymore. I still keep a few around and get them out at times to give myself a little immersion treatment- see if I can stand it-it's a no-go.

It's not the pieces or clutter that bother me so much. 

However, for me it's the noise.  All the noise, noise, noise, noise, noise! said Junie in her best Grinch voice.

• Like 5

It's not the pieces or clutter that bother me so much. 

However, for me it's the noise.  All the noise, noise, noise, noise, noise! said Junie in her best Grinch voice.

I only get this upset about drinking glasses that get left on the kitchen table or living room end tables after the drinker has finished. Makes me homicidal.

This and the fact that my oldest has no neatness instinct or even much common sense and will frequently stack all of her art and schoolwork on her desk from SMALLEST to LARGEST creating a teetering pile ready to topple over onto the first person to walk by. And she PERSISTS in doing this DAY after DAY for YEARS despite my cajoling, punishing, pleading, threatening, crying... D-:

• Like 2

After the first four kids, my stuff was thrashed and no one (except dh and I) were excited that we were having a 5th.

So, your best gift, imho, is genuine excitement if you can muster it!

My kids want lego advent calendars.  I just have a hard time coughing up $80 for an advent calendar, especially since we already have an extensive figurine collection. If it they really HAD to have it, I'd go for it, but the reality is that when we go to the store, one ds jumps all over the nerf guns and the other wants something else. So, I'm a mean mom, especially since everyone wants their OWN calendar. 

If it's any consolation, Lynn will probably yell at me for saying that the Expanded Universe is and always was all garbage and I'm glad that Disney declared it all non-canonical.

Of course, it would only be consolation if you had any idea what I was talking about. ;-)

The first (newer) 3 movies?

Eta: I'm all better now. Sorry. I freaked out.

I just woke up so sick. Diarrhea, vomiting, cramping, migraine, bloody nose, I'm shaking, I think I had one of those mild seizures I have once every few years, I'm hot and cold and tingly. This sucks so much. I've felt so good for days!

I just woke up so sick. Diarrhea, vomiting, cramping, migraine, bloody nose, I'm shaking, I think I had one of those mild seizures I have once every few years, I'm hot and cold and tingly. This sucks so much. I've felt so good for days!

:(

Seizures of any kind suck. Are you on any kind of anti-convulsant? I used to get grand mals as a child which were ruled medication related. Then I went 23 years without one.

A little over a year ago I suddenly had 3 around sunrise while lying in bed next to my wife. They were so strong they fractured my spine in 3 places. Still hasn't healed quite right. 

Be careful out there.

It is impossible to outgrow LEGO. Even once you're done using them to construct fantastic adventures between warring factions (and I weep for your soul when this happens), you can move onto bona fide engineering projects and incorporate servos, electronics, sensors, etc and make actual working gadgets.

I've also seen them used to frame silicone molds for casting parts or sculpture, as art themselves, and so on.

Outgrow LEGO. Pah.

• Like 2

The first (newer) 3 movies?

No, those are the prequels, and they're pretty bad too but we all just sort of have to live with them.

The Expanded Universe (EU) refers to the endless stream of Star Wars pulp novels that were written from the late 70s through around 2013 or so when Disney declared it all not canon. They range from barely competent to truly terrible. It can also refer to any Star Wars content found in role playing games, video games, and such.

• Like 1

After the first four kids, my stuff was thrashed and no one (except dh and I) were excited that we were having a 5th.

So, your best gift, imho, is genuine excitement if you can muster it!

My kids want lego advent calendars.  I just have a hard time coughing up $80 for an advent calendar, especially since we already have an extensive figurine collection. If it they really HAD to have it, I'd go for it, but the reality is that when we go to the store, one ds jumps all over the nerf guns and the other wants something else. So, I'm a mean mom, especially since everyone wants their OWN calendar. 

If you're seeing them for $80 then people are scalping. The retail price is $30-40 depending on whether it's LEGO, LEGO City, or LEGO Star Wars. Prices at $80 are usually found on sites that let third parties sell things like Amazon and Ebay, etc. Often they'll create their own listing to fool your search results and keep you from seeing the real price. They put in their own phony MSRP and everything. Careful out there.

I saw some at Target recently. There may be some left.

EDIT - OH THEY WANT THEIR OWN. OHHHHH.

EDIT PART DEUX - Han shot first

• Like 2

:(

Seizures of any kind suck. Are you on any kind of anti-convulsant? I used to get grand mals as a child which were ruled medication related. Then I went 23 years without one.

A little over a year ago I suddenly had 3 around sunrise while lying in bed next to my wife. They were so strong they fractured my spine in 3 places. Still hasn't healed quite right.

Be careful out there.

Mine aren't like that at all. No meds. Mine are harmless. Harmless seizures, isn't that nice? I become dizzy, and have weird sensations like my skin isn't attached, just sitting on me. It's why was hot and cold and tingly. It took months to figure out what it was. I had them a lot as a teen, but hardly ever now.