• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

He usually buys all his own clothes; I'm not normally involved at all. AT ALL. He has no church clothes and would like me to help him pick out something. Because church.

Okay, help.  I get this. I pictured you going to the store alone and buying his clothes for him without him present for some reason.

• Like 1

Okay, help.  I get this. I pictured you going to the store alone and buying his clothes for him without him present for some reason.

Listen, I have a friend who used to set her dh's clothes out each night so he could get dressed in the morning. On Sundays, they wore matching colors to church. :blink:

• Like 1

And a Happy Reformation Day!

Martin Luther was dh's (Great x 15?) Grandfather. So Reformation Day gets a little attention here between the pumpkin carving, costume accessorizing, and candy eating.

That is SO COOL.

I have some.... shall we say interesting ancestors, but Martin Luther tops 'em all.  

• Like 1

Listen, I have a friend who used to set her dh's clothes out each night so he could get dressed in the morning. On Sundays, they wore matching colors to church. :blink:

I once read a story about a man who was color-blind, so his wife marked his clothes a certain way so he could always put something together that matched. He went to some men's conference or other and there was a "competition" of the best dressed. He won.

• Like 2

Well, I did add "or something like that." My memory may not serve me very well on the "bathing children" habits of others...

No.  You pretty much got it right, Renai.   :lol:

Tonight, for example, is weekly Bath Night.  BUT kids are hiking right now, and we are going to a party immediately after hike, so that will interfere with Bath Night.  I'd like to think Bath Night will happen tomorrow night, instead, but we shall see.   I'm secretly hoping dh just takes them all swimming after church (which involves a shampoo and shower afterward in the locker room).  

Good news is that Ds8 did shower himself yesterday though... 

And ds1 had a blowout requiring a bath 2 days ago....

And the girls are not the stinky or greasy-haired sort anyway....

And  I shower daily and always have because I am CRANKY without my shower...

So we muddle along just fine.   :laugh:

• Like 3

No.  You pretty much got it right, Renai.   :lol:

Tonight, for example, is weekly Bath Night.  BUT kids are hiking right now, and we are going to a party immediately after hike, so that will interfere with Bath Night.  I'd like to think Bath Night will happen tomorrow night, instead, but we shall see.   I'm secretly hoping dh just takes them all swimming after church (which involves a shampoo and shower afterward in the locker room).  

Good news is that Ds8 did shower himself yesterday though... 

And ds1 had a blowout requiring a bath 2 days ago....

And the girls are not the stinky or greasy-haired sort anyway....

And  I shower daily and always have because I am CRANKY without my shower...

So we muddle along just fine.   :laugh:

Wait. I thought it was a requirement to bathe before church. That's why traditionally baths were on Saturdays.  :svengo: Quackers, I'm speechless.

• Like 1

I really, really love my small town, but there is no Indian food, and this saddens me greatly at the moment on this cool, rainy day.

Yummmmmm....Dh and I adore Indian food.  I used to make my own, before kids.  But it's time consuming so it hasn't happened in a while.  There's a fabulous Indian restaurant in Salem we like to go to (the machli masala is to die for), but we can't go right now.  Because Salem in October.  

Bathing and church:  I have vacillated my whole life between being Presbyterian and some sort of Baptist, depending on what was available, etc.  Currently in a Presbyterian phase.  We go, we sit in our pew, we leave.  If we smell very much no one knows it.  (frozen chosen)

I see it similar to Ducklings, if 5 out of 7 people have bathed within the last 2 days, we are mostly clean, right?

• Like 3

Wait. I thought it was a requirement to bathe before church. That's why traditionally baths were on Saturdays.  :svengo: Quackers, I'm speechless.

Well, that's why I wash ds1's head under the kitchen faucet as we rush out the door Sunday mornings.  So the nursery ladies think he smells lovely.  

But nobody else's head is in danger of being sniffed, and the good Lord takes the rest of us Just As We Are.  Grace, and all that.  It's the insides that count.   :Angel_anim:

My mother would probably be appalled, though.  Especially if she saw me wearing jeans to church.  (They are nice jeans, btw, always with my best blouses and scarves and lip-gloss and leather booties, so don't think too badly of me.  We all look much better than we do on weekdays. But I've rebelled against dresses and skirts for the very practical reasons that a) it's COLD most of the year,  and b) I'm the Mommy now, and I do whatever I want to.)

• Like 4

Bathing and church:  I have vacillated my whole life between being Presbyterian and some sort of Baptist, depending on what was available, etc.  Currently in a Presbyterian phase.  We go, we sit in our pew, we leave.  If we smell very much no one knows it.  (frozen chosen)

I see it similar to Ducklings, if 5 out of 7 people have bathed within the last 2 days, we are mostly clean, right?

Hear, Hear!

:cheers2:

Now, if there was a denomination that sported immersion baptism on a weekly basis, that'd kill two birds with one stone.  I suppose the theological issues surrounding that might be a bit problematic, but on non-sacramental levels, I do find the the thought of it somewhat appealing...

• Like 2

Hear, Hear!

Now, if there was a denomination that sported immersion baptism on a weekly basis, that'd kill two birds with one stone.  I suppose the theological issues surrounding that might be a bit problematic, but on non-sacramental levels, I do find the the thought of it somewhat appealing...

Shall We Gather At the River?  :lol:

• Like 2

Addendum to yesterday's whine:

The bucket of our tractor holds A LOT of dirt.  The area that I excavated for drainage was composed of mostly clay soil.  Clay is very heavy.  I am very sore. Poop aerobics in the pouring rain pushing the wheelbarrow through the mud was particularly yucky challenging today.

End of addendum.

Thank you again for listening.

Off for a hot (daily) shower. Amen.

• Like 4

I can't believe you guys are still at it. No, no, no. I can believe it. I can believe it. Ya'll are hard core!

I dropped out a while back. Couldn't keep up! And then I had to teach myself how to knit so I could knit DS a chain mail hood for his St. George costume for school. He wore it yesterday, but his appreciation of it was in no means proportional to the amount of work I put into it. It wasn't even in the same galaxy of proportionality. But now I know now I know how to knit. And that's something!

Eta: I tried to attach a picture of the chain mail, but it didn't work.

Why, hello there! You've been missed. Congrats on knitting. I crochet. I tried knitting, once, and it didn't turn out so well. I also started my hand at Tunisian crochet. I'll be picking it back up once a graduate (one more week!).

• Like 3

Eeeeeeek!  :001_tt1: :biggrinjester:  :coolgleamA:  :grouphug: 

I'm more like  :lol: . I've been involved in her crushes before. One, kid I really liked and he was respectful and all. Then he decided to try being gay for a while. It's a thing at her old school. It became weird for her when the guy he dated was her other good friend. I was like, whatever. He decided he liked girls better. By then, she decided she wasn't interested.

She is officially allowed to date now that she's 16. But, she has no interest which is a good thing for her. Her crush is too old for her (right now in this stage of her life) anyway. And she acts so 12. Really. Dh doesn't think she's ready either. But I don't think he'll ever think she is. I just sit back and laugh, and talk about cute guys with her, how they're everywhere, and one cannot fall for every cute, muscular, honey-dipped honey dip that crosses her path. Which she doesn't. But, it's good to mention.

I remember talking to my mom about my crushes, too.

• Like 6

I've killed off the world twice now - once with a virilent bacteria and once with a virus.  It makes me happy.  

And yes, I'm still talking about my game.  I get to learn neat things about vectors and transmission methods and resistance to cures and lethal symptoms.

Thus ends my educational post of the day.  

• Like 6

I don't understand why bathing them every day is not normal. It takes 5 minutes. It's also a great way to change the situation. Baths typically take place when they're not getting along or wining. After a bath everyone is in a good mood.

Also, their glands should regulate based on exposure. Spotty baths mean dry skin while daily baths mean hydrated skin.

Nothing in my house takes less than 20 minutes of clearly explaining the why, the how, etc. followed by an argument. Not dinner. Not play time. Nothing. If it comes out of my mouth, it is argued with by at least one of them. Maybe dessert would be an exception but even then they will occasionally try to say they wanted something else. Of course at that point they are asked to leave the table and no dessert for you if you aren't happy with it to the point of whining (not just "I thought we were having pie" but "I wanted pie, not ice cream!").

I would say about 80% of my interactions with my children are me walking away to remain calm; asking them to do the same thing again; explaining consequences of not doing it; providing incentives; demanding in a loud voice if it's non-negotiable such as going to school so I can work so we can, you know, eat, that they do it. 

5 minutes. I have never, ever done anything with my kids in five minutes. Battle: 15 - 30 minutes. Dragging out: 10-15 minutes or if I scream or force them (carry them) possibly less. Doing something other than what I asked: about 5-10 minutes. I.e. coming to the table and laying under it instead of sitting down to dinner. Actual thing, including talking the whole time: about 30 minutes.

5 minutes. LOL. Nope. Every time. We have stopped actually asking them to do things to avoid this. We just sit down and yell dinner and if they don't come, sorry, Charlie. Baths are required once a week, and brushing teeth, once a day, and homework, when assigned. If you get a packet you do the whole packet immediately to minimize arguments. I would say we spend about 8 hours per week with me basically trying to get them to do things without any form of violence (verbal or physical). Sometimes I yell. :(

I think when DD1 was 3 and DD2 was 1, I eliminated 100% of non-necessary activities, including toenail clipping (I wait until they are crying from scratching themselves or tear one, because otherwise, they will object and it wastes an hour of my life), exercise / crafts with mom (all outsourced to people for whom they behave like angels, so I just have to argue about getting them in the car and they usually don't argue too much because they want to see friends), tooth-brushing in the morning (because we would not be able to homeschool or public or private school, we would just scream all day, no, nothing works, I can give you the list of parenting books I have tried, they figure out the method and then find a way to make it work against me).

Nope. A bath? No, no, no. DD2 likes it but I will not add anything unnecessary to our routine. My life is finally at a point where they are mostly eating, exercising, and getting an education. I think I would not have been able to get a master's degree if we added baths in there. 

This isn't a vent. It's for all the people with kids like mine... so they will know they are not alone.

• Like 1

Hear, Hear!

Now, if there was a denomination that sported immersion baptism on a weekly basis, that'd kill two birds with one stone. I suppose the theological issues surrounding that might be a bit problematic, but on non-sacramental levels, I do find the the thought of it somewhat appealing...

Maybe they could include bubbles!

• Like 3

Nothing in my house takes less than 20 minutes of clearly explaining the why, the how, etc. followed by an argument. Not dinner. Not play time. Nothing. If it comes out of my mouth, it is argued with by at least one of them. Maybe dessert would be an exception but even then they will occasionally try to say they wanted something else. Of course at that point they are asked to leave the table and no dessert for you if you aren't happy with it to the point of whining (not just "I thought we were having pie" but "I wanted pie, not ice cream!").

I would say about 80% of my interactions with my children are me walking away to remain calm; asking them to do the same thing again; explaining consequences of not doing it; providing incentives; demanding in a loud voice if it's non-negotiable such as going to school so I can work so we can, you know, eat, that they do it.

5 minutes. I have never, ever done anything with my kids in five minutes. Battle: 15 - 30 minutes. Dragging out: 10-15 minutes or if I scream or force them (carry them) possibly less. Doing something other than what I asked: about 5-10 minutes. I.e. coming to the table and laying under it instead of sitting down to dinner. Actual thing, including talking the whole time: about 30 minutes.

5 minutes. LOL. Nope. Every time. We have stopped actually asking them to do things to avoid this. We just sit down and yell dinner and if they don't come, sorry, Charlie. Baths are required once a week, and brushing teeth, once a day, and homework, when assigned. If you get a packet you do the whole packet immediately to minimize arguments. I would say we spend about 8 hours per week with me basically trying to get them to do things without any form of violence (verbal or physical). Sometimes I yell. :(

I think when DD1 was 3 and DD2 was 1, I eliminated 100% of non-necessary activities, including toenail clipping (I wait until they are crying from scratching themselves or tear one, because otherwise, they will object and it wastes an hour of my life), exercise / crafts with mom (all outsourced to people for whom they behave like angels, so I just have to argue about getting them in the car and they usually don't argue too much because they want to see friends), tooth-brushing in the morning (because we would not be able to homeschool or public or private school, we would just scream all day, no, nothing works, I can give you the list of parenting books I have tried, they figure out the method and then find a way to make it work against me).

Nope. A bath? No, no, no. DD2 likes it but I will not add anything unnecessary to our routine. My life is finally at a point where they are mostly eating, exercising, and getting an education. I think I would not have been able to get a master's degree if we added baths in there.

This isn't a vent. It's for all the people with kids like mine... so they will know they are not alone.

Maybe if you took them outside and hosed them down it would solve both the bathing problem and the attitude problem? Kidding. Sort of... But I'm sorry you yell. I do too.

• Like 5

Wear a mask and a biohazard suit and you'll probably be ok.

Better yet, build yourself an underground bunker. You'll be all set.

WheeeeeHeeeeee! Another Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue posting forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

This is the thread that never ends...

• Like 5