• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Good Morning everyone!!!!!!

Dd16 and I are going to the dentist for cleaning this morning. We have to be there at 9 a.m. It takes 45 minutes to get there. It takes 45 minutes to an hour to get anywhere from here. But that's the price we pay to live in the country. Then dd will have to be taken to school because band practice. That is another 30 minutes in the opposite direction. Friday we have nothing to do which is good because we are way behind in our homeschool stuff for the week. Saturday we will be going to Franklin, Indiana for Semi-State competition. It is near Indy and about a 2 1/2 hour drive. We are very hopeful we will make it to state this year. Dd gets teary eyed talking about it. Our band program is relatively new. About 8-10 years old I think. When ds20 started it was just started a year or two prior. So that is my rambling thoughts for this morning.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Jean, I am glad you figured out the med situation. I was worried. I hate you forgot your meds but glad the high sugar problem was solved.

Lynn, have a good day.

• Like 4

Well. . . .I just discovered when I went to take my evening meds that in the midst of Urn-gate I had forgotten to take my morning meds including my diabetic ones. No wonder my bloodsugar went out of control. No kicking me please, I'm kicking myself hard enough.

I'm sorry. I hope today is better.

• Like 1

I don't understand why bathing them every day is not normal. It takes 5 minutes. It's also a great way to change the situation. Baths typically take place when they're not getting along or wining. After a bath everyone is in a good mood.

Also, their glands should regulate based on exposure. Spotty baths mean dry skin while daily baths mean hydrated skin.

• Like 2

I don't understand why bathing them every day is not normal. It takes 5 minutes. It's also a great way to change the situation. Baths typically take place when they're not getting along or wining. After a bath everyone is in a good mood.

Also, their glands should regulate based on exposure. Spotty baths mean dry skin while daily baths mean hydrated skin.

Mine gets a bath or shower every day, too.  He's an only, but still.   When he was younger her would literally cry if he didn't get to take a bath.  He would spend and hour or more in the tub playing.  Even now, he'll jump in the shower on his own just to take a shower.  Last week dinner was ready and he didn't come down, and where did I find him?  In the shower.

ETA:  He takes baths just to get me to read history to him.  While he's in the tub.

• Like 2

My younger kids get a traditional Saturday night bath, unless they are in particular need of one. I had the same when growing up. I am pretty sure more exposure to soap and hot water leads to dryer skin - that's what our dermatologist told us.

• Like 4

I ran for the first time in a week after overcoming great resistance.  The whole run was quite pathetic, but at least I did it.  And while I was running (y'all will love this), 7yodd called me on my cell to tell me she couldn't find any underwear.  It was in a basket of unfolded (mostly) socks. 

#thestruggleisreal

I told her next time, don't call me while I'm running unless the house is on fire.  (Ended up walking over a minute as a result.  And overcame even more resistance to start running again.)

• Like 8

I ran for the first time in a week after overcoming great resistance. The whole run was quite pathetic, but at least I did it. And while I was running (y'all will love this), 7yodd called me on my cell to tell me she couldn't find any underwear. It was in a basket of unfolded (mostly) socks.

#thestruggleisreal

I told her next time, don't call me while I'm running unless the house is on fire. (Ended up walking over a minute as a result. And overcame even more resistance to start running again.)

While I had my brief affair with running my husband called me every time a car honked to make sure I was okay. Really?

• Like 6

My younger kids get a traditional Saturday night bath, unless they are in particular need of one. I had the same when growing up. I am pretty sure more exposure to soap and hot water leads to dryer skin - that's what our dermatologist told us.

It has to do with removing the lipids, natural oils and good bacteria from the skin. And yes, it's the soap and hot water. However, soaking in tepid water for about 20 minutes will hydrate the skin, so there's that. But, that's not a quick 5 minutes that is hydrating the skin.

• Like 5

Renai, I want something like the Sonlight collections in Spanish. Do you have any recommendations? They can be translated, but traditional Spanish children's stories would be so cool.

I wish. I've looked for something like that since Oldest was 4. There even used to be a great online (and on-the-ground) bookstore which was such a wonderful resource, and now is no longer open. A good place to start is actually Scholastic reading club, those flyers with inexpensive books. One of the flyers is Club Leo and they sell both translated and traditional books. I'll give more resources when I get back.

• Like 1

Well. . . .I just discovered when I went to take my evening meds that in the midst of Urn-gate I had forgotten to take my morning meds including my diabetic ones.  No wonder my bloodsugar went out of control.  No kicking me please, I'm kicking myself hard enough.  

We need a better med reminder plan.  I shall put my best people on it.

Re: baths.  I think I understand why Slache gives her kids daily baths.  Mine all had eczema when they were little so they got a fairly frequent long soak followed by a lathering up with coconut oil.  When the eczema dropped off, the baths dropped off.  

I ran for the first time in a week after overcoming great resistance.  The whole run was quite pathetic, but at least I did it.  And while I was running (y'all will love this), 7yodd called me on my cell to tell me she couldn't find any underwear.  It was in a basket of unfolded (mostly) socks. 

#thestruggleisreal

I told her next time, don't call me while I'm running unless the house is on fire.  (Ended up walking over a minute as a result.  And overcame even more resistance to start running again.)

You and I are also in parallel universes.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

I don't think I quite followed that. But, can you get up to 2000 words tonight? Wait, what time zone are you in?

I probably got up to 1800 before I just had to go to sleep. I used to be able to start writing around midnight and work until sunrise. Those days were long ago. This is just warm up work. Next week, I can't let it wait that late, because NaNo novel writing starts on Sunday. Thank goodness dreadful daylight savings time is coming to an end. I can hardly wait!

I think I'm getting the disease process down, and it seems to fit with the overreaching theme of the story, so I'm happy.

When it comes to baths for children and adults, I am for every day bathing. Because stink. And greasy hair.

In the summer we could easily be in the shower two to three times a day. Because ticks. It's a scary, buggy, dirty world out here.

• Like 5

I probably got up to 1800 before I just had to go to sleep. I used to be able to start writing around midnight and work until sunrise. Those days were long ago. This is just warm up work. Next week, I can't let it wait that late, because NaNo novel writing starts on Sunday. Thank goodness dreadful daylight savings time is coming to an end. I can hardly wait!

I think I'm getting the disease process down, and it seems to fit with the overreaching theme of the story, so I'm happy.

When it comes to baths for children and adults, I am for every day bathing. Because stink. And greasy hair.

In the summer we could easily be in the shower two to three times a day. Because ticks. It's a scary, buggy, dirty world out here.

My 13-year-old is, likewise, obsessing over gearing up for NaNoWriMo.  For the month of November, writing time will be the carrot to get the schoolwork done.  I look forward to a VERY productive month. (insert evil laugh here)

Oh, and ditto on the summer bathing.  We are quite filthy.  Because dirt.  And animal hair.  And lake.  And horse poop.  And bugs. And...

• Like 3

I feel I should qualify my children's bathing practices.  (Because I know you are all dying to know.)

Everyone: Saturday night (or Saturday showers with shampoo at the gym, should they swim.)

Un-potty-trained children:  Any other occasion upon which a bath is--ahem-- necessary. 

Baby needs:  daily if a skin condition requires it (seborrheic dermatitis for one of my children) 

Summer (which around here is about 2.5 months long):  Whenever dirt makes it necessary.  Usually just involves a quick hose down in the shower without shampooing so I don't really count it as a bath but I guess to some it is.  I will say this: if we lived in a humid climate, daily bathing might be more important.  I bathed twice daily during summers when we were in NC before kids were born.  

Winter:  DRY SKIN!  And snow. So we really don't need more than once-a-week baths.  

I would love to know, Slache, how you pull it off in 5 minutes??  Any tips?  I wish I could streamline things so it wasn't such a process, but with 5 bodies, 1 bath, and 2 who still scream bloody-murder at the thought of a hair-washing, it's a bit of a commitment around here.  Ds8 can shower himself now, which helps tremendously.  But again, 1 bathroom.  So any daily showerers (is that a word?) would have to compete with dh and me, and deal with a hot water tank that can only last through two showers.

And no, I will not share my shower time with dh.  In case you were wondering.   :lol:

Now, for your entertainment: Kramer cutting down on his shower time. 

• Like 4

I feel I should qualify my children's bathing practices.  (Because I know you are all dying to know.)

Everyone: Saturday night (or Saturday showers with shampoo at the gym, should they swim.)

Un-potty-trained children:  Any other occasion upon which a bath is--ahem-- necessary. 

Baby needs:  daily if a skin condition requires it (seborrheic dermatitis for one of my children) 

Summer (which around here is about 2.5 months long):  Whenever dirt makes it necessary.  Usually just involves a quick hose down in the shower without shampooing so I don't really count it as a bath but I guess to some it is.  I will say this: if we lived in a humid climate, daily bathing might be more important.  I bathed twice daily during summers when we were in NC before kids were born.  

Winter:  DRY SKIN!  And snow. So we really don't need more than once-a-week baths.  

I would love to know, Slache, how you pull it off in 5 minutes??  Any tips?  I wish I could streamline things so it wasn't such a process, but with 5 bodies, 1 bath, and 2 who still scream bloody-murder at the thought of a hair-washing, it's a bit of a commitment around here.  Ds8 can shower himself now, which helps tremendously.  But again, 1 bathroom.  So any daily showerers (is that a word?) would have to compete with dh and me, and deal with a hot water tank that can only last through two showers.

And no, I will not share my shower time with dh.  In case you were wondering.   :lol:

Now, for your entertainment: Kramer cutting down on his shower time. 

That is the stuff of nightmares.

Reminder for Renai:  Ducky needs a medal.

• Like 3

Anything that is done everyday will go without complaint and be speedy. Other things we do in this house everyday include me picking up every surface and wiping it down, Matt doing the dishes, and the kids putting every single toy away. We do it everyday so it's not a big deal.

I nakedify one child and walk them to the bathroom, gently toss it in the tub, turn the shower on, put enough soap in my hands for the whole body, start on the hair and work my way down to the feet, rinse, and towel dry. While I'm towel drying them I tell the other one to nakedify themself. Repeat. Baths are allowed if there is time. This takes place between the rinse and the towel drying.

The above paragraph is no longer true because John bathes himself, but that's how I did it when I bathed them both. I would just repeat the sequence with more kids. Mary needs an adult to get her diaper on and off, but both kids can dress and undress themselves.

I brush their teeth immediately after being towel dried. It takes the next one a few minutes to get their clothes off so it works.

I really mean what I say about something done every day goes without complaint. Remember that when you get a new kitten. Every time I get a new kitten I bathe it every day for the first two weeks and they are good for baths for the rest of their lives.

• Like 5

I would love to know, Slache, how you pull it off in 5 minutes?? Any tips? I wish I could streamline things so it wasn't such a process,

My younger girls bathe together until they are about 8 or wanting to shower themselves. So for a while there would be 3 girls in the tub (2yo, 4yo, 7yo) and they would get shampooed, rinced, and dried in about 10 minutes or less, though we usually let them splash around for a little while. The shampoo also served as bath soap.

#confessingmyredneckways

• Like 3

Quackers, I could bathe all of your children in less than 40 minutes. If you want them bathed everyday try it for two weeks. At the end of the two weeks it will be a functioning system. And I've lived in a building with 40 adults and 1 shower so don't give me your excuses.

• Like 2

My younger girls bathe together until they are about 8 or wanting to shower themselves. So for a while there would be 3 girls in the tub (2yo, 4yo, 7yo) and they would get shampooed, rinced, and dried in about 10 minutes or less, though we usually let them splash around for a little while. The shampoo also served as bath soap.

#confessingmyredneckways

Brilliant!

• Like 1

We are back from the dentist. Dd16 is perfect. No cavities. I, on the other hand, am not perfect, as you all already know.:D I will have to have some work done, but that is the result of neglecting dental check-ups while pregnant, nursing, taking care of everyone else but myself. It is not too bad, but still.

Our bathing practices (since you all are dying to know) are every other day. Except summer, we bathe/shower everyday because playing in dirt, garden, etc. We have well water with a spring and catch water from the roof when it rains. So we save water where we can so we can be creative with water conservation.:D

• Like 4

Quackers, I could bathe all of your children in less than 40 minutes. 

Yay!  Be here at 6:30pm sharp.  Don't be late; we have the Hobbit to read after bathing is done.   :hurray:

Actually, we do manage to get all three girls bathed (sharing the bath) in about 30 minutes total from bath-filling to bath-draining and bath clean-up and hair brushing (which I still need to do for them.)  Showering Slache- style would be wonderful, but sensory issues get in the way of that.  Bathing and swimming they love so complaining hasn't been the issue, but shower nozzles? Terror.  So we bathe them instead. Ds8 takes another 15 minutes total to do all shower-related activities on his own. Ds1 has major sensory issues regardless of how often I bathe him; he'll outgrow it at age 3.1 and not a moment sooner, if he is like the rest of his siblings and cousins.  So he gets his own bath in the sink right now where I can manage his needs best.  That's another 10.  

So I could maybe do it all in about 40 minutes daily. But it's 40 minutes daily I can't use for other wonderfully bonding sorts of things (like bedtime reading, which can't be done while I bathe them because all 7 of us couldn't possibly fit in the tiny bathroom even if we wanted to.) And I guess since they don't need it daily (usually), I haven't felt compelled to work out a daily system.  Now teeth:  that's another story.  They need that daily and they need it done well, so we still do ALL their teeth, including flossing, and will continue to do so until each has all their adult sealants.  It's a 30+ minute process total over 5 children, but something we felt we needed to prioritize. 

I totally get how bathing children can be a wonderful expression of love, though.  One of my little Voyagers has a rough background, but a church member / neighbor has stepped in to fill in the gap when it comes to her needs: spiritually, emotionally and physically in terms of hygiene.  She's blossomed under such love.   :wub:

Costume parade is calling!  Thankfully, I don't have to dress up myself for this one.   :auto:

• Like 4

Whoa.

I don't even think my kids have been bathed every week.

I think it would give them dry skin. I shower most days but not every day. 

As little ones it was recommended to us by the dermatologist to only bath them ever 2-3 days in the colder weather due to excema and dry skin.  In the summer they got it more because they got dirtier and the air wasn't so dry.  As preteens/teens they are required to bathe/shower daily due to BO, but my 8 year old usually only does 2-3 times a week and Fridays are hair washing days because of all the crap in her hair for dance class.

• Like 2

Same here.  Also less bodies but same issue of 1 hot water tank and lots of people.  NOrmally it is spread out as people get up and mobile so the hot water is fine.  Today we had an appt out of the home, littlest bathed last night.  ANd then 4 of us showered this am.  In order to make the kids faster I told them to shower like a spider just walked onto the curtain.  Fastest showers yet.  My own is fast if I am not shaving my legs.  I like to eek every last minute of sleep out in the am so I am used to a 5 minute shower.  My oldest 3 feel the need to have a 30 minute shower though.  Again 1 bathroom, and 1 hot water tank.  A 30 minute shower drains the whole thing of hot water.

• Like 4

So I got to order glasses for my oldest today.  His first pair, he has declared me an unfit mother for causing undo torture to him.  I declared him an unfit son for causing undo torture to my bank account.  Even with the student discount they gave me and the bit of coverage on his dad's medical plan I still had to pay $170 out of pocket today.  They look really good on him though.  Harley davidson, half rimmed, transition lenses, and they make him look older.  WOuld have looked better if he has shaved today and had his hair trimmed, but that is not happening yet. (I am saving the hair cut until the weekend right before Remembrance day (Nov 11) both oldest kids are in the flag party with the cadets for the march up to the cenotaph so he needs a fresh hair cut for that day (and he will be very clean shaven with his new glasses).  Have to wait 7-10 days to pick them up. 

• Like 7

I'm disappointed that I don't have a low grade fever. It would have explained the headache, chills and general crappy feeling.

Oh, Jean. I hope you feel better soon! Glucose issues?

I just realized that I never turned the oven on an hour ago. Think if I cook the casserole at 500* it will be OK in 45 minutes?

Oh, Jean. I hope you feel better soon! Glucose issues?

I just realized that I never turned the oven on an hour ago. Think if I cook the casserole at 500* it will be OK in 45 minutes?

I think I am fighting something.  But it isn't a normal cold or flu - no sneezing, congestion.  No fever.  No tummy problems.  Just a continuation of that swollen throat that I get a couple of times a month for no apparent reason and coughing and a headache.  I'm sort of functional but not fully functional.  My sugars today are better but I've had to fight for it because sugars naturally go up when you are fighting something.  Anyway. . .  not really anything worth whining too much over (I've had much much worse) but I'm whining a bit anyway.  

• Like 1