• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

So I have been watching mama cat and our foster kittens on the website to see when they are adopted.  Two kittens were adopted, but mama cat's photo disappeared.  So I looked on a FB page, and they euthanized her. :sad:   I cried.  I contacted my friend who works there, and she doesn't know for sure but thinks mama got a cold so they put her down.  She was mad.

I had made myself a deal that if Phoebe got adopted before Marley, I would go back for Marley.  Well, Phoebe is gone, so I went back for Marley.  My heart has been aching for her.  The kids don't know yet.  

Not everything in life has to make sense.

• Like 6

Re. home ec. My kids have been assigned a slot cooking once a week at times. And we've done units on healthy eating, balanced diets etc. and they've had to produce a meal plan that includes vegetables! My kids are also considerably older than yours are!

John makes stir fry. He's so proud.

• Like 2

((hugs)) texasmama. Sorry about the mama cat, but enjoy the new addition to your family!

Speaking of cats, anyone have good advice on how to deal with some major hair mats on a chicken cat that would probably not survive even the sound of a razor, forget actually using on on him? Using scissors might be a challenge, too.

((hugs)) texasmama. Sorry about the mama cat, but enjoy the new addition to your family!

Speaking of cats, anyone have good advice on how to deal with some major hair mats on a chicken cat that would probably not survive even the sound of a razor, forget actually using on on him? Using scissors might be a challenge, too.

I would wrap the cat in a towel, leaving the area of the mat(s) open.  I would make sure I got scissors with a blunt tip -  you can get some specifically for grooming that are curved and blunt.  Then I would cut the mat a bit at a time.  How long I worked on it would depend on the cat.  I might just do it a couple of minutes a day or I might try to get it all done at once - it sort of depends on which the cat would tolerate better.  

• Like 1

Take it to a vet or groomer. Cat's skin is extremely thin and people tend to accidentally land their cats in the er.

So I have been watching mama cat and our foster kittens on the website to see when they are adopted.  Two kittens were adopted, but mama cat's photo disappeared.  So I looked on a FB page, and they euthanized her. :sad:   I cried.  I contacted my friend who works there, and she doesn't know for sure but thinks mama got a cold so they put her down.  She was mad.

I had made myself a deal that if Phoebe got adopted before Marley, I would go back for Marley.  Well, Phoebe is gone, so I went back for Marley.  My heart has been aching for her.  The kids don't know yet.  

Not everything in life has to make sense.

:(   :grouphug:

Home from work.  We now have 9 cute chicks, 1 died as it was hatching, 16 that have not started yet.

Dinner is in the oven (lemon dill salmon, asparagus and baby potatoes)

Tortoises are getting moved right now, then time to turn their normal home into a temporary brooder.  

Won't be online much tonight, must catch up on school work, final is tomorrow.

I'm glad you specified what you had for dinner, as that sentence coming right after the hatching chicks...well, you know.

• Like 5

This.

And this.

And then there's the fact that I'm insecure about salmon. Just never as delightfully flaky as I'd like it to be.  Plus the fact that the last time I made salmon, the salmon decided to grow wings and fly off of dh's plate while I passed it to him.  (he politely scraped it off the dirty floor and ate it with a smile anyway.)

So next time, a swap.  Your kids pop on over here for sandwiches, while the mommies enjoy salmon at your place.  I'll be there at 9.  

Dh doesn't like salmon either. I guess I like any fish because I can't remember what salmon tastes like. Well, except in salmon patties, which funny enough, dh likes.

• Like 1

Gonna be a long day, work 9-6, licensing is coming to do our renewal at the after school care, and while we do the right things it is still nerve wracking until she signs on the dotted line..  while dinner cooks I need to wrap up a couple small things in my class and then write my final exam.  Once I make it through today I will have no more school until sept, and only 5 days left until sept at the afterschool care.  My chaotic schedule is starting to wind down which is a good thing

I know the woes of licensing. Try going through a school accreditation - that's a zinger.

Well, my week break from class will be over and I start back on Sunday. Surprise of all surprise, in my last class I expected a B and got an A!

This summer school job ends on June 26, we take dd to her dance intensive on June 28 which she'll return from the end of July, and I'll be taking classes from two different schools until the end of July. Thankfully, I'll only have to do the two schools and work thing for two weeks total - last week and next week. I then apply for my bilingual and TESOL endorsements for my teaching license, why? I don't know. Since I'm not planning to work in the classroom next year, but still need to renew my license. I'll have a reprieve of only attending one school (instead of two), and finish my Master's in November.

This is definitely the least busy year I've ever had. It makes me happy.

• Like 5

Donuts were YUM.  Though I had to go to two separate places for chocolate munchkins because the first one was out of them (donut holes, for those of you not in New England.)  

Now, to math!

btw -- I LOVE CUISINAIRE RODS.    LOVE LOVE LOVE.  Wish I'd bought these years ago!  Ds FINALLY gets math!   

I ordered the small group size of rods and have been using them with the summer school students. The kids I have will be going into 1st grade.

• Like 1

I mean you put sweeping and moping in the lesson plans for the kids to "learn". My son is 4 and he picks up, loads the dishwasher and washing machine, and mops. It's awesome.

Eta: He's huge. I'm not sure all 4 year olds can do all of that.

Did you mean sweeping and the "lack of" moping? That would be a great character plan.

• Like 1

I know the woes of licensing. Try going through a school accreditation - that's a zinger.

Well, my week break from class will be over and I start back on Sunday. Surprise of all surprise, in my last class I expected a B and got an A!

This summer school job ends on June 26, we take dd to her dance intensive on June 28 which she'll return from the end of July, and I'll be taking classes from two different schools until the end of July. Thankfully, I'll only have to do the two schools and work thing for two weeks total - last week and next week. I then apply for my bilingual and TESOL endorsements for my teaching license, why? I don't know. Since I'm not planning to work in the classroom next year, but still need to renew my license. I'll have a reprieve of only attending one school (instead of two), and finish my Master's in November.

This is definitely the least busy year I've ever had. It makes me happy.

2016 is your year of rest.

• Like 2

I cut Marley's nails so she doesn't claw stuff.  I also tried to brush the uncivilized dog a bit with the furminator.  She jumped on me.  Then I got her some new water, and when I moved the hose two large toads jumped out.  It's a jungle out there.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 5

I love DD chocolate munchkins!  (I assume you went to DD?)

So do we.  Except we had to go to two DDs to get chocolates.  I know the market is unpredictable, but really? You're a donut shop for pete's sake.  Run out of donuts???? At 10am, no less?????   :toetap05:

Thankfully there are at least 6 DDs within a ten-minute drive of my house, so the second one I went to was out of everything but chocolate. 

Go figure.  Tummies were happy so no complaints.  

• Like 3

I mean you put sweeping and moping in the lesson plans for the kids to "learn". My son is 4 and he picks up, loads the dishwasher and washing machine, and mops. It's awesome.

Eta: He's huge. I'm not sure all 4 year olds can do all of that.

Chores are definitely awesome.

And I'm probably an academic slacker (actually, I know I am) but I cancelled school for two months last year just to teach chores.  Best, most sanity-saving thing I ever did.  

• Like 2

Chores are definitely awesome.

And I'm probably an academic slacker (actually, I know I am) but I cancelled school for two months last year just to teach chores.  Best, most sanity-saving thing I ever did.  

Wow!  I'm in awe of you!

I'm bad at enforcing things I don't really want to do either. 

• Like 3

Okay, Dr. ITT, diagnose this:

I'm 39 and have suddenly started having hot flashes.  About 6-12 times a day (including waking me at night).  

Is this just symptoms of early menopause, or should I try to get my thyroid checked?  I'm concerned I'll potentially waste a $20 copay plus my hubby's time off to watch the kids, only to have the doctor say, "Honey, you're OLD.  Of course it's menopause. Go home."  

Be brutally honest, dear friends.

{Never mind. Just lie and tell me of course it isn't menopause because after all I'm a hot babe barely out of my twenties and still have decades of child-bearing years ahead of me.}

• Like 1

Okay, Dr. ITT, diagnose this:

I'm 39 and have suddenly started having hot flashes.  About 6-12 times a day (including waking me at night).  

Is this just symptoms of early menopause, or should I try to get my thyroid checked?  I'm concerned I'll potentially waste a $20 copay plus my hubby's time off to watch the kids, only to have the doctor say, "Honey, you're OLD.  Of course it's menopause. Go home."  

Be brutally honest, dear friends.

{Never mind. Just lie and tell me of course it isn't menopause because after all I'm a hot babe barely out of my twenties and still have decades of child-bearing years ahead of me.}

You are in perimenopause.  Save the $20 and babysitting time. You are in good company.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 1

This is the halau I want to join:

This reminds me of some military chants I'd hear back in the day.

#armybrattinessshowing

ETA: Well check that out - BOOYA!!

This is the thread that never ends,

it just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting, not knowing what it was.

And we'll continue posting forever just because

This is the thread that never ends...

• Like 3