Menu

Ignore this thread!

Now I'm off for a hive scan, then reading, then working out, then the whole kids thing happens. Hasta la pasta!

I thought this was a hive scam.  I didn't know what scams we could perpetrate on the hive, like recommending bad writing programs and waiting for people to fail or something.  There are always the posts with sports scores....

Once in a while I pull out my "emergency cell phone", a 2002 Nokia pre-paid thing, and people are not sure what it is..."is that a walkie-talkie"?

I don't have the energy or budget to keep up. Dh has an iPhone because his work pays for it. I feel I can get by with my home phone and email for a while yet.

I think having hard copies of books is very important, you know, because of the impending apocalypse and whatnot. :D

I know, right?  I'm all about the apocalypse!

At an antique store, I showed two young girls how to use a manual typewriter that was in one of the booths. They were totally stunned.

Little dd has an electric typewriter from the early 60's that my mother used in college.  She loves it.  I had to order a ribbon for it recently, and they still make them!

Every morning I read the threads that look interesting from the past 24 hours and take notes on anything good. I've got some real gems saved up.

You are a more organized young lad than I.

• Like 1

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Oh, I should mention that we have the cheapest possible phones. We, no make that Matt, wanted smart phones for the sake of what he could do with it. We had no reason to get the best or most expensive.

My dh is an early adopter of all technology.  He is way into his Iphone 6.  I think it is big and clunky.  Ain't nobody got time for that.

• Like 4

I should probably get over it and have you all over to a metope. Hi, Chrome? Which do you think is more likely to be a word I would use, meetup (granted, needs a hyphen, but still) or metope? What the heck is a metope?

• In classical architecture, a metope (μετόπη) is a rectangular architectural element that fills the space between two triglyphs in a Doric frieze, which is a decorative band of alternating triglyphs and metopes above the architrave of a building of the Doric order.

• Ah yes. Let's have a metope.

This made me laugh. Apparently Chrome identifies you as a classical educator.
  • Like 3

I'm only annoying if I've had too much coffee. Then I can't seem to stop talking.

Also, I'm bringing back the sexy.  (Because I just like the sound of that.)

In unrelated, actual homeschooling news, I planned a kick butt summer of the first ten chapters of my BFF's book History of the Ancient World combined with The Greenleaf Guide to Ancient Literature (covering Gilgamesh, Genesis, and Daniel, and The Odyssey) and supplemented with The Great Courses lectures on The Odyssey.  Boom.  I sound so intellectual.  The boys will hate me.

• Like 7

In unrelated, actual homeschooling news, I planned a kick butt summer of the first ten chapters of my BFF's book History of the Ancient World combined with The Greenleaf Guide to Ancient Literature (covering Gilgamesh, Genesis, and Daniel, and The Odyssey) and supplemented with The Great Courses lectures on The Odyssey.  Boom.  I sound so intellectual.  The boys will hate me.

Quoting myself to say that I made a syllabus myself because I live to make up syllabi.  I also live to alter and cobble together resources.  No, really, I live for this.  It feeds my soul.

• Like 2

I'm young and ugly. And fat.

I don't think you are ugly, and you are much less fat than you have been in the past.  Let's look in the mirror and say some affirmations this morning.  No one was improved by running themselves down in this manner!

Also, you will not appreciate your beauty until menopause rips it out of your wrinkly, liver-spotted hands!  (I don't really have liver spots.  I just enjoy being dramatic, and I like using commas in a series.)

• Like 5

You need Nan's Ativan, Tex.

I should start slow with Xanax.  Work my way up and all.

But, but, but!!!  You should see what I did with the SL Core 100.  Ripped that sucker up until you could not recognize it.  Shared it far and wide.  I am almost famous for my deconstructed SL Core 100.  You'll just have to trust me on that. :hat:   Best.time.ever.

• Like 4

If there were a dislike button, I would have clicked it for this post. This makes me sad. Don't talk about yourself like that! Please.

I don't think I'm ugly. It was a joke about not getting beauty sleep. I'm gorgeous! I am a little fat though.

• Like 5

I never thought of you as annoying. I'd love to meet you.

You know how people post about their annoying, obsessive, over-explaining, over-literal ASD, flaky ADHD kids? That is me. I interrupt (but apologize) because I literally cannot hear people's post-pause breath to speak, over my own thoughts. At least I know I do it, so I wait a really long time before talking. Until I forget that I am supposed to be listening and not thinking, and then I interrupt and apologize. I know this is bad because people post about their irritation at this exact behavior.

But I do try. And I have friends so it must be working okay.

• Like 4

We just had a Wasp Emergency.

I heard it buzzing at the window behind me, and one of the children identified it so we all ran away fast.  Two or more of the children shrieked like an arm was cut off, and then three went into the pantry and one went into the bathroom, leaving me to fight it with a flyswatter thrown to me by ds12 before he fled into the pantry.  It swooped down on my head, but I evaded it with my ninja middle aged mom wasp maneuvers.  Then the children came out of hiding, ds12 located the wasp at the window and trapped it with a flyswatter while I came up and finished it off by repeatedly hitting it with another flyswatter and then smashing it with two kleenexes.  Dh came downstairs from his office and hollered at us because we made too much noise.  

Now they are all going bowling.  

UGH.  The hospice nurse just called, and I got the incorrect information from someone and did not send Nan's hospice notebook with her.  Too many cooks!  Also, she did not sleep all night.  

• Like 4

You know how people post about their annoying, obsessive, over-explaining, over-literal ASD, flaky ADHD kids? That is me. I interrupt (but apologize) because I literally cannot hear people's post-pause breath to speak, over my own thoughts. At least I know I do it, so I wait a really long time before talking. Until I forget that I am supposed to be listening and not thinking, and then I interrupt and apologize. I know this is bad because people post about their irritation at this exact behavior.

But I do try. And I have friends so it must be working okay.

We all do something. I'm quite annoying, though you'd never grasp that from my posts. ;)

• Like 6

I think DS gave me his cold.  I feel horrible.  On the bright side, I bought some new clothes during the Memorial Day sales this weekend and I feel very pretty at work today, even if I do feel like poop on the inside. 

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure I have some sort of undiagnosed disorder. I don't always catch on to facial expressions, and sometimes people's humorous comments zoom right over my head.

But I am still loveable...I think... :blink:

• Like 8

Somewhere between PMS, kids up too early and being cranky, not working out, not sleeping, not eating well, feeling really fat lately, and husband being a jerk these last few days I just broke down crying getting a snack ready for the kids. They both came to me, hugged me, tickled me and told me really bad jokes until I felt better. They're so sweet sometimes.

• Like 5

I'm pretty sure I have some sort of undiagnosed disorder. I don't always catch on to facial expressions, and sometimes people's humorous comments zoom right over my head.

Very much so, as long as you're not giving wet kisses.

• Like 3

Hey! That's the little smiley that I most identify with!  We're twins! So I must be lovable, too! (Because you most certainly are, Your Majesty!)

• Like 3

Ooh, I want to diagnose you!  Let's start with a full psychosocial history...

Nevermind, this might take awhile.  I think you are within the norm.  <insert stamp of approval>

• Like 3

Somewhere between PMS, kids up too early and being cranky, not working out, not sleeping, not eating well, feeling really fat lately, and husband being a jerk these last few days I just broke down crying getting a snack ready for the kids. They both came to me, hugged me, tickled me and told me really bad jokes until I felt better. They're so sweet sometimes.

Aww.

BTW...I noticed your age. My second oldest kid is YOUR AGE. Yes, I have one older than you. And a few younger. When I started reading these boards you were probably in the eighth grade!!! Yipes.

• Like 6

Aww.

BTW...I noticed your age. My second oldest kid is YOUR AGE. Yes, I have one older than you. And a few younger. When I started reading these boards you were probably in the eighth grade!!! Yipes.

:lol: I didn't know the board was that old. How old is it?

I decided to homeschool when I was 17, started researching it when John was 2ish, and stumbled across this board over and over. I started to get to know several of the members so I searched their posts for answers. I finally joined and found out that most of my favorite people were dead or left. That was pleasant.

• Like 2

I decided to homeschool when I was 17, started researching it when John was 2ish, and stumbled across this board over and over. I started to get to know several of the members so I searched their posts for answers. I finally joined and found out that most of my favorite people were dead or left. That was pleasant.

:scared:

Is there an "unfriend" button on this thing?!?

No, you are confused and misremembering.  I am neither dead nor left.

(I have lost some friends while here, though.  RIP, Kay.   :grouphug: )

• Like 5

A lot of the threads I used to look at were older. I didn't know about newer curricula until I joined. I didn't even know about SWBs new stuff because I'd read an older version of TWTM. I also never read the chat board until I joined.

"Off topic", but I just have to lament. 

I am potty-training a very stubborn child right now.
She held it for 4 hours this morning, refusing to go on the potty (something she CAN and DID do all day yesterday). Then, when the last timer went off, she stood up and peed all over the floor. 

Cuss...cuss...cuss (in my head, not at her. She got sweet reminders of what to do.) 

I think I am training my child to be like Pavlov's dogs....only she pees at the bell instead of salivating.  :huh:

• Like 3

"Off topic", but I just have to lament. 

I am potty-training a very stubborn child right now.

She held it for 4 hours this morning, refusing to go on the potty (something she CAN and DID do all day yesterday). Then, when the last timer went off, she stood up and peed all over the floor. 

Cuss...cuss...cuss (in my head, not at her. She got sweet reminders of what to do.) 

I think I am training my child to be like Pavlov's dogs....only she pees at the bell instead of salivating.  :huh:

1. You're not allowed to go off topic here. There are RULES!

2. Awesome name!

3. I have no idea how to potty train a child. None. I taught John how to use the potty, gave him cool Cars underwear, and told him he had to use the potty from now on or his pants will get wet/dirty and it would be gross. He was 2 and never had an accident. Now she's 2 and won't use the potty. She doesn't get it and I have no clue what to do.

• Like 3

1. You're not allowed to go off topic here. There are RULES!

2. Awesome name!

3. I have no idea how to potty train a child. None. I taught John how to use the potty, gave him cool Cars underwear, and told him he had to use the potty from now on or his pants will get wet/dirty and it would be gross. He was 2 and never had an accident. Now she's 2 and won't use the potty. She doesn't get it and I have no clue what to do.

Seriously?  I must have missed that page.  :wacko:

• Like 3

THERE IS A TOPIC??? :willy_nilly:

My girls potty trained easy and before they turned three.  My boys were hard, hard, hard.  They were more like 3 1/2.

Kid #1 (girl) - Mostly was willing to wear cute undies so went to the potty.  She was going between mine and my ex's house, which made the process more drawn out.  Too many cooks and all.  She continued to wet a little bit here and there even after she was in undies for a long time.  Also, I still remember the time when she was four and pooped in her pants in public because she did not tell me she had to go.  Ewwww.

Kid #2 (boy) - He is my ASD kid and was generally delayed in everything. Essentially, the special needs preschool aide trained him.  I heart her for that.  He went to preschool at age 3 in diapers and she did something magical and after awhile he was not in diapers.  She was a sweet grandma type lady so it worked.

Kid #3 (boy) - My most stubborn child in all areas.  Refused to potty train.  Got a terrible bleeding diaper rash at the age of 3 1/2 so I stayed at home with him and let him run around nakey.  Told him that he needed to potty in the toilet since he had no diaper.  He was unwilling to pee and poop and have it run down his legs.  Two days later, he was potty trained and never looked back.

Kid #4 (girl) - At about 2 1/2, I gave her some cute undies.  I don't remember the rest.  I think she potty-trained herself.

I bribed when needed, but mostly I didn't worry about it.  It happened when it happened.  No one will mail you or your kid a medal or anything.  :D

• Like 3

Potty training. Done with that!

A couple of my kids were done by age 2, a couple when they were 3, and a couple not until they were 4.5. My silent mantra was "please be potty trained before you leave for college, please be potty trained before you leave for college, please be..."

• Like 8