Menu

Ignore this thread!

I followed instructions and have been ignoring this thread & doing fun dog things instead. We've had some gorgeous sunny days here, beautiful dog walks by the ocean, saw 2 bald eagles this morning, took Daisy to vet for old dog check up (tried to just ignore the size of the vet bill  :ohmy: ), groomed the dogs on the deck, dremelled 12 paws....

now I have to decide whether to wash the floor or purge my nightstand and the floor of my closet; decisions, decisions.

Awwww, you have a Daisy, too.  Do you use the dremel on their nails to file them down?  Daisy is a chicken when it comes to nail trimming.  I might be able to wrangle one or two before I give up.  I am taking her for her shots next month and will have her nails trimmed then.  I know the dremel would scare her to death, too.  Such a scaredy.  I've never cut them in the quick.

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Awwww, you have a Daisy, too.  Do you use the dremel on their nails to file them down?  Daisy is a chicken when it comes to nail trimming.  I might be able to wrangle one or two before I give up.  I am taking her for her shots next month and will have her nails trimmed then.  I know the dremel would scare her to death, too.  Such a scaredy.  I've never cut them in the quick.

Awww another Daisy! Ours gets called Miss Daisy & Lazy Daisy & Daze :)

Yup, I prefer to use a dremel as I think it hurts less - esp on really large paws/nails - & there's less danger of going too short.  I spend a lot of time desensitizing/counter conditioning & prepping them for it. It's HIGHLY  rewarded in this house & while they're learning, I do it frequently but for short periods.  My guys now come running when they see me pulling out the dremel case. I then actually had to spend a significant time training everyone to wait their $%^&* turn because they kept trying to butt in & have it be their turn now LOL. "MOM! I want to be next!!!!"

I desentize them to the dremel & its sound separately. 

Look at dremel, click/treat (C/T).

Dremel near you c/t

my hand near your foot c/t

my hand with dremel near your foot c/t

dremel far away from you but on for a split second (c/t)

dremel closer to  you (c/t)

dremel close to you while my hand is on your foot (c/t)

dremel off but tapping your nail (c/t)

dremel on & off for a split second tapping your nail (c/t)

etc etc

First sessions that might be it. A few hours later or next day, do it again, right from beginning. Early days you might only do one nail. Quit while you're ahead - preferably not having them squirm away so don't get greedy thinking oh she's fine, I'll do one more. Only do it if you'd bet a $100 she won't squirm. (I failed that several times LOL.)

I do anchor the toe carefully in my hand while using the tool in the other hand & I think eventually they realize it feels like a nice massage.  (yes, both my hands are occupies so I use my foot to click LOL. Then I put the tool down, pop a treat in their mouth, pick up tool again.)  Once I've done the desensitization protocol I don't bother clicking but I do reward heavily. There's a little bowl with tons of teensy tiny but amazingly rewarding treats & in early days or with tense dogs - like my mom's cavalier who I was petsitting in March - there are big rewards for each nail.)

I'd start with this:

https://youtu.be/LHgBvnQ71ss

& then

Nice short nails are very important. it can really affect their gate, structure and joint function. My old guys with arthritis really need to 'feel' the ground. 

Some motivation for it: Cutting your dog's nails - how important is it really?

• Like 1

Yup, I prefer to use a dremel as I think it hurts less - esp on really large paws/nails - & there's less danger of going too short.  I spend a lot of time desensitizing/counter conditioning & prepping them for it. It's HIGHLY  rewarded in this house & while they're learning, I do it frequently but for short periods.  My guys now come running when they see me pulling out the dremel case. I then actually had to spend a significant time training everyone to wait their $%^&* turn because they kept trying to butt in & have it be their turn now LOL. "MOM! I want to be next!!!!"

Dremel near you c/t

etc etc

First sessions that might be it. A few hours later or next day, do it again, right from beginning. Early days you might only do one nail. Quit while you're ahead - preferably not having them squirm away so don't get greedy thinking oh she's fine, I'll do one more. Only do it if you'd bet a $100 she won't squirm. (I failed that several times LOL.)

I do anchor the toe carefully in my hand while using the tool in the other hand & I think eventually they realize it feels like a nice massage.  (yes, both my hands are occupies so I use my foot to click LOL. Then I put the tool down, pop a treat in their mouth, pick up tool again.)  Once I've done the desensitization protocol I don't bother clicking but I do reward heavily. There's a little bowl with tons of teensy tiny but amazingly rewarding treats & in early days or with tense dogs - like my mom's cavalier who I was petsitting in March - there are big rewards for each nail.)

I'd start with this:

& then

https://youtu.be/7cq5X8aV95E

Nice short nails are very important. it can really affect their gate, structure and joint function. My old guys with arthritis really need to 'feel' the ground. 

Are you in Canada?  I want you to come train my dog!  If you visit Texas and train my dog, you can stay with me and I will show you the sights.  :D

I will check out the videos.

She is just scared, you know?  I think in her heart, she wants to cooperate.  She is better with brushing now, though it is still not her favorite.  I use the Shedmaster when she is blowing her coat.  (Shhhh, don't tell, but we have had her for a year, and I have never bathed her.  She is not stinky, either.  Just a little doggy smell but not bad at all.  She is self-cleaning. :) )

Oh yeah I'm coming one day. You promised to teach me to be Texan somewhere in the early pages of this thread and I'm signed up for an intensive seminar. I better screen shoot that in case this thread starts breaking the board and gets deleted. :D

My Daisy is self cleaning too. Plus I live in the rainforest so she has regular showers whether she wants them or not lol.

• Like 2

Oh yeah I'm coming one day. You promised to teach me to be Texan somewhere in the early pages of this thread and I'm signed up for an intensive seminar. I better screen shoot that in case this thread starts breaking the board and gets deleted. :D

My Daisy is self cleaning too. Plus I live in the rainforest so she has regular showers whether she wants them or not lol.

It's a deal!  I will turn you into a Texan, and you will turn my dog into a civilized being.   :D

Love me a self-cleaning dog because this one has just enough anxiety and is large enough such that she would not be manageable inside bathing, and someone would have to hold her while I tried to bathe her with a garden hose outside.  It seems so very not worth it. Even when she rolls in the dirty water and mud, she goes into her crate gross and comes out in the morning clean.  I think there is a rinse and spin cycle in there.  I did read that the Pyr hair sheds dirt, and that ha been my experience.  I've been around some stinky, gross dogs in my time, and she is not one of them.

• Like 3

Dremel near you c/t

etc etc

I'd start with this:

& then

I'm willing to pay someone $5 to cut my puppehs' nails (when puppehs actually live here, which at the moment they don't), but you have almost convinced me that I could do it without either of us experiencing permanent injury.

This is completely off topic, but I've been thinking about it and I think the alligator was less like 12 feet more like 8-10 feet.

I'm still cool though.

Carry on.

8, 10, 12 feet.....doesn't matter it is still an ALLIGATOR.

You're super cool. Just my thoughts.

Little ds6 lost his first baby tooth tonight. Little dd6 lost her first tooth last week. It kinda makes me sad.:( They aren't babies anymore. Haven't been for a while, of course, but losing teeth makes me realize how big they are. Although to save time, when I want both of them, I still say, "Babies", rather than their names. I am lazy.:)

• Like 3

8, 10, 12 feet.....doesn't matter it is still an ALLIGATOR.

You're super cool. Just my thoughts.

Little ds6 lost his first baby tooth tonight. Little dd6 lost her first tooth last week. It kinda makes me sad. :( They aren't babies anymore. Haven't been for a while, of course, but losing teeth makes me realize how big they are. Although to save time, when I want both of them, I still say, "Babies", rather than their names. I am lazy. :)

I say bubbies. And I cry on their birthdays, but not while they can see. I'm really pathetic. I'm going to be *so* annoying when they're older.

• Like 3

I'm willing to pay someone $5 to cut my puppehs' nails (when puppehs actually live here, which at the moment they don't), but you have almost convinced me that I could do it without either of us experiencing permanent injury.

you can!

I've only had 1 injury to a dog - I once got too close to Darwin's beautiful foot feathering & wrapped a couple strands of hair around the dremel. EEEEEEK. It's like an evil epilady then...   Now I'm more careful about wetting the fur a bit to stop fly aways from getting close to the dremel shaft.

& I routinely hit my own thumb nail with the dremel because it's how I hold their toe & nail.. .So I give myself weird gougy marks but they don't hurt.

It's not the $ so much as I prefer to teach my animals to accept all handling & husbandry. Ear checks, eye checks, shots etc can all be conditioned to be tolerated or actually looked forward to experiences. I dislike if we have to pin or push an animal into anything. I prefer to get their cooperation.  It's just part of what we do - come lie down between my legs & let me poke around your feet, kwim? 

(also, there are only about 2 groomers in the world that I'd trust. Lots of groomers are the muzzle & pin them down & terrorize the dog into submission. Vet techs will often trim nails routinely when an animal is under general anesthetic for any surgery -  which sounds good in theory but my cat came back with a hugely infected toenail; they'd cut way  too short & twisted her poor nail right off the toe bed. Ticked me off no end...)

• Like 1

you can!

I've only had 1 injury to a dog - I once got too close to Darwin's beautiful foot feathering & wrapped a couple strands of hair around the dremel. EEEEEEK. It's like an evil epilady then... Now I'm more careful about wetting the fur a bit to stop fly aways from getting close to the dremel shaft.

& I routinely hit my own thumb nail with the dremel because it's how I hold their toe & nail.. .So I give myself weird gougy marks but they don't hurt.

It's not the $ so much as I prefer to teach my animals to accept all handling & husbandry. Ear checks, eye checks, shots etc can all be conditioned to be tolerated or actually looked forward to experiences. I dislike if we have to pin or push an animal into anything. I prefer to get their cooperation. It's just part of what we do - come lie down between my legs & let me poke around your feet, kwim?

(also, there are only about 2 groomers in the world that I'd trust. Lots of groomers are the muzzle & pin them down & terrorize the dog into submission. Vet techs will often trim nails routinely when an animal is under general anesthetic for any surgery - which sounds good in theory but my cat came back with a hugely infected toenail; they'd cut way too short & twisted her poor nail right off the toe bed. Ticked me off no end...)

I was a groomer for several years and each dog is different so even with practice and training there was a chance to misjudge and clip too short. If you have the patience it is so much better to do your own dog's nails because you will be familiar with any little quirks.

Tonight's hula, which has nothing to do with grooming dogs or anything. ::big grin::

The Merrie Monarch Festival is held each year in Hilo, Hawaii, the weekend after Easter. Halau (hula school) come from all over the world to compete in two categories:  kahiko (ancient style hula, with only hand-held, percussion implements) and auana (modern hula, with more modern instruments such as piano, guitar and ukelele). I would *love* to go there some day. Tickets go on sale December 26, and there is a limited number available.

This number is kahiko. The halau is from Oakland, California, and it sometimes has up to a year-long waiting list. FYI. :-)

• Like 3

Good morning! I'm celebrating spring break here today. I'm going to do absolutely NOTHING! My MIL invited my kids over, so now it's just little old me. I could use this as an excellent opportunity to clean up around the house, but I'm not going to. I'm going to sip this delicious cup of coffee, hang out around the forums, and maybe...maybe...trim my dogs nails.  You've inspired me.

ETA: Oxford Comma.  ;)

• Like 5

I say bubbies. And I cry on their birthdays, but not while they can see. I'm really pathetic. I'm going to be *so* annoying when they're older.

I'm pretty sure your oldest, at age 4, is already old enough that you're already annoying. (How did I manage to use "already" twice in the same sentence??)

I'm pretty sure your oldest, at age 4, is already old enough that you're already annoying. (How did I manage to use "already" twice in the same sentence??)

No. I'm AWESOME at this age. We sword fight, we make funny faces, we crawl around and bark at dogs. I'm just concerned that when he's a teenager I'm going to reminisce about when he was a boy and cry in front of his girlfriend.

• Like 2

Ok, so in the interest of culinary amusement, I have included links to:

1) my beautiful (ahem) bundt cake with its infamous fancy pan:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7087442_865_015467238

2) How I shamelessly used frosting to distract everyone from noticing that the cake was split in half:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7087442_865_015467321

3) And, as an added bonus (and because I am a little proud of how it turned out), the final Easter table. (The lighting is crummy for photos and I didn't have everything out yet, but it is what it is:-):

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7087442_865_015468595

Sorry they are links, I couldn't get photos to attach, so I just used a public link on my sugarsync account (like Dropbox). You don't have to download anything. Just clicking on the link should pop up a small version of the pic.

Oh, and we had mimosas too. I self-medicated with those. :lol:

• Like 2

Ok, so in the interest of culinary amusement, I have included links to:

my beautiful (ahem) bundt cake with its infamous fancy pan:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7087442_865_015467238

How I shamelessly used frosting to distract everyone from noticing that the cake was split in half:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7087442_865_015467321

3) And, as an added bonus (and because I am a little proud of how it turned out), the final Easter table. (The lighting is crummy for photos and I didn't have everything out yet, but it is what it is:-):

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7087442_865_015468595

Sorry they are links, I couldn't get photos to attach, so I just used a public link on my sugarsync account (like Dropbox).

Oh, and we had mimosas too. I self-medicated with those. :lol:

Nice save!

Happy Spring Break to everyone on break right now!  We are back north again.  House is undergoing some demolition, so we are refugees at the moment, schooling wherever anyone will let us in.   

It's cold.  Dd6 wants to know why I ever brought her back to winter.  

I'm sorta wondering the same thing?   :confused1:  

Send me some sunshine, you Texans and Californians! 

• Like 2

33 pages?  We've got this, girls.  Piece of cake.  

Pun intended?

Happy Spring Break to everyone on break right now!  We are back north again.  House is undergoing some demolition, so we are refugees at the moment, schooling wherever anyone will let us in.   

We had thunder and lightning with terrible winds last night. Loved it! Between the lunar eclipse, Easter, and the storm my husband was half expecting the rapture. In the morning he said "Well I guess the rapture didn't happen." I came back with "You don't know that."  :lol:

• Like 5

No. I'm AWESOME at this age. We sword fight, we make funny faces, we crawl around and bark at dogs. I'm just concerned that when he's a teenager I'm going to reminisce about when he was a boy and cry in front of his girlfriend.

Nah. If you're awesome at this age, you're going to rock the teenage years. After all, tots and teens have the same mentality. (re-check the ages of my kids - I'm in the grip of it!) You'll just have to make sure not to be cooler than yur son. That can mess up your son's social life  :laugh: .

Nah. If you're awesome at this age, you're going to rock the teenage years. After all, tots and teens have the same mentality. (re-check the ages of my kids - I'm in the grip of it!) You'll just have to make sure not to be cooler than yur son. That can mess up your son's social life  :laugh: .

I used to bring uncool to an entirely new level. When I went to my high school reunion people wouldn't even make eye contact with me because I was such an outcast. Then I got chatty with the bartender and we started talking about my hitchhiking around the country/playing keep away with a bear/white water rafting type of adventures and suddenly I was the coolest person there. *And* I was hot. Now I think I'm someone that used to be cool but is now just a mom. I don't know. I think he'll be OK. I seem to be coming full circle with the really uncool thing though. I'm pretty sure the excitement level in my "top of page" posts is a little sad.

• Like 2

It's been snowing here since the wee hours.  Two weeks ago we went on a bike ride during 70 degree weather.  Ahh, the joys of Spring.

Pun intended?

We had thunder and lightning with terrible winds last night. Loved it! Between the lunar eclipse, Easter, and the storm my husband was half expecting the rapture. In the morning he said "Well I guess the rapture didn't happen." I came back with "You don't know that."  :lol:

That was cold, sister, cold.  And awesome.

• Like 1

Happy Spring Break to everyone on break right now! We are back north again. House is undergoing some demolition, so we are refugees at the moment, schooling wherever anyone will let us in.

It's cold. Dd6 wants to know why I ever brought her back to winter.

I'm sorta wondering the same thing? :confused1:

I'll trade.....I have a dd5 keeps asking when we are going back to Maryland so she can have snow. I guess she wasn't made for Southern California warm sunny weather all year.

• Like 1

Pun intended?

:smilielol5:

Pun intended?

:rofl:

I used to bring uncool to an entirely new level. When I went to my high school reunion people wouldn't even make eye contact with me because I was such an outcast. Then I got chatty with the bartender and we started talking about my hitchhiking around the country/playing keep away with a bear/white water rafting type of adventures and suddenly I was the coolest person there. *And* I was hot. Now I think I'm someone that used to be cool but is now just a mom. I don't know. I think he'll be OK. I seem to be coming full circle with the really uncool thing though. I'm pretty sure the excitement level in my "top of page" posts is a little sad.

My daughter keeps saying I'm cooler than her. I'm not sure how. I'm just really immature for my age. I think it has something to do with having worked with preschool kids for so long. I don't want to grow up.

I don't try to be cool - or uncool for that matter. I'm just weird, and allow it to hang out. That, and I actually like teens. I used to work in a high-security juvenile prison for 10-19 year old boys. I liked the job. It made me want to work with younger ones.

• Like 1

I'll trade.....I have a dd5 keeps asking when we are going back to Maryland so she can have snow. I guess she wasn't made for Southern California warm sunny weather all year.

It's warm here now. At the moment. We still won't plant until around May 15, because the chance of snow is a real possibility until about Mother's Day.  :huh:

• Like 1