Menu

Dental retainers.....special cleaner or not?

Tap

Did you buy/use the special cleaners for your family's  retainers?  DD16 was given a couple packs of Retainer Brite for hers by the orthodontist, but I don't know if it is really necessary to buy it or not.  I had Invisalign and we were just told to brush it well, give it a light bleach soak periodically (a couple drops in a cup of water) and call it good.

I was always told to use Polident from time to time by my ortho way back when.  Had a chance to sample one of the special cleaners.....guess what? It was made by the Efferdent people.

It did work well, though.  I normally brush my bite guard with my toothbrush every night....but then about every two weeks, I use this.  

My dd uses just a tiny drop of dish soap (no abrasive beads or anything like that in it) on hers when washing/brushing it. It's what the people at the ortho place recommended & seems to work well (over a year now...). She has the clear plastic type retainer.

Both ds and dd were told to brush their retainers each time they wore them. 

Interesting note - ortho had a fit when ds told him he was using denture cleaner on them. Ds had noticed build-up and we thought that would help. Ds was told the cleaner breaks down the retainers over time (he has the standard plastic with metal wire type)

Dd has the newer all plastic ones that fit over the teeth and he told her just to brush them.

• Like 1