Menu

What is a "MILF"?

Hot Lava Mama

Just checking in this morning to say I'm still LOLing about this.

I tried to tell DH about it and I couldn't even talk.

Did she know what it meant?

Who knows? But I haven't heard her say it lately. She has no kids but she has nephews. Maybe one of them heard her and told her what it meant. 

• Like 1

Well, I know that "MIL" is Mother-in-law, but I'm not sure what the "F" stands for.....maybe "first"?

I wish I were still this innocent.  ;)    It's wonderful. 

Unfortunately, I had a kid in the school system for awhile.  I know things now I wish I'd never learned. 

• Like 4

I find the whole thing to be insulting on so many levels.  First of all, just because I am looking good, it doesn't mean I am trolling for the attention of, well, anyone. And objectification of anyone is just not ok.

And then this is the whole 'wow, she's given birth to another human being, but still sexually attractive...how is that possible?" that just burns my butt. First of all, how else did the whole becoming a mother thing happen?  And the constant division of women into two groups, virgins and whores, 'mom's and 'milfs', good girls and bad... Nope. I just reject it outright.

So, it isn't just that it is tacky, that bothers me. It is that it is demeaning to women.

I saw Pamela Druckerman on a French talk show discussing how there is no French equivalent of MILF. (Check out the discussion at 13:40 if you'd like to hear MILF pronounced with a French accent. :) )

And then just today (!), I was reading her book "Bringing Up Bébé" and she says the same thing. I'll try to quote a bit:

When I tell her about the expression "MILF" ("Mom I'd like to f---"), she thinks it's hilarious. There's no French-language equivalent. In France, there's no a priori reason why a woman wouldn't be sexy just because she happens to have children. It's not uncommon to hear a Frenchman say that being a mother gives a woman an appealing air of plentitude (happiness and fulness of spirit).

• Like 6

Guest submarines

Other people's [cat]. According to Urban Dictionary:

"It is asking the listener if he/she is willing to have s*xual relations with a person who is known to already have a boyfriend or girlfriend."

I kept staring at the [cat]. But finally figured it out. OPP has been forever associated for me with "Ontario Provincial Police" so it wasn't an easy switch. :lol:

• Like 6

I kept staring at the [cat]. But finally figured it out. OPP has been forever associated for me with "Ontario Provincial Police" so it wasn't an easy switch. :lol:

I always associate it with my university's little blue and white maintenance vehicles that said "Office of the Physical Plant," OPP in big letters.

• Like 1

I saw Pamela Druckerman on a French talk show discussing how there is no French equivalent of MILF. (Check out the discussion at 13:40 if you'd like to hear MILF pronounced with a French accent. :) )

And then just today (!), I was reading her book "Bringing Up Bébé" and she says the same thing. I'll try to quote a bit:

When I tell her about the expression "MILF" ("Mom I'd like to f---"), she thinks it's hilarious. There's no French-language equivalent. In France, there's no a priori reason why a woman wouldn't be sexy just because she happens to have children. It's not uncommon to hear a Frenchman say that being a mother gives a woman an appealing air of plentitude (happiness and fulness of spirit).

I wonder if it is more about age than children? Americans are so obsessed with youth, people are surprised when a 30-something is sexy?

Well, in the original reference on American Pie, it was teenagers talking about this one mom being a 'MILF'.    Less to do with being obsessed with youth and more to do with thinking so-and-so's mom is super hot and you'd have tEA with her.  As a teenager.

I'm not sure why one of the PPs thinks it would have gone over the heads of the intended audience... it's spelled out pretty explicitly and I can't really imagine anyone not getting it.  :lol:

• Like 1

Well, in the original reference on American Pie, it was teenagers talking about this one mom being a 'MILF'.    Less to do with being obsessed with youth and more to do with thinking so-and-so's mom is super hot and you'd have tEA with her.  As a teenager.

I'm not sure why one of the PPs thinks it would have gone over the heads of the intended audience... it's spelled out pretty explicitly and I can't really imagine anyone not getting it.   :lol:

No, the target audience for American Pie would have been preteens at the time OPP was popular (and therefore presumably not the target audience for that song). References to "another name for a kitty cat" likely wouldn't have made sense to many of them. Me included.

Omgosh. This thread reminded me of the time our new pastor was being announced at church. The woman talked about his education, etc. and ended with, "He's got a lot of meat under his belt." IN CHURCH! I almost died.

I don't get it. Does this mean he has a big thing?

No, the target audience for American Pie would have been preteens at the time OPP was popular (and therefore presumably not the target audience for that song). References to "another name for a kitty cat" likely wouldn't have made sense to many of them. Me included.

Oh I see.  I thought you were talking about the MILF/movie references, not the song thing.  I've never heard the song, so what you are saying is definitely true!  :lol:  

My Dad thought LOL meant "lots of love". He was very confused when his truck driver buddy texted it to him!!

So did my friend's mom.... And she had to be gently told that it's not appropriate to put it after sad news. Her husband's funeral arrangements! True story!

• Like 1

Omgosh. This thread reminded me of the time our new pastor was being announced at church. The woman talked about his education, etc. and ended with, "He's got a lot of meat under his belt." IN CHURCH! I almost died.

Too funny!!!

How did everyone keep it together?

I wish I were still this innocent. ;) It's wonderful.

Unfortunately, I had a kid in the school system for awhile. I know things now I wish I'd never learned.

I found out what it meant 12 yrs ago, when my dd then 15 worked at Hungry Jacks. Ummm... the manager (married) called me that. And my dd had the embarrassing part of having to explain it to me!

I was speechless and cringed everytime afterwards when I picked her up.

My dd was doing a certificate in retail, and she won the states Best of the Best award. So, I didn't say or do anything then. I wish I did now though! The slime bag got away with it!

I worked at an accounting firm in college, and we would have lunches with payroll company representatives. One time the regular sales rep brought a guy from another business to sell our firm on it. She introduced him and said "he has a nice package I think you would like." We laughed for days.

• Like 5

Actually, I was lying here.

Around that time, my family used to watch Are You Being Served? (British comedy) together. Most of it totally went over my brother and my heads. There was one character who constantly talked about her cat, using the former common name that starts with a P and now has other meanings. My dad had to explain what it meant to stop me from calling our cats p*ssy all the time.

So I would probably have got it if I'd ever listened closely enough to catch that line.