Menu

Burnt out and lost on spelling

My DS7 recently finished LOE C and we moved right into Essentials. But neither one of us is enjoying it. I think its part spring fever/burn-out, part burn-out on this particular program, and part that he might not really be ready for Essentials. I'm ditching it, and we will focus on copywork and phonics games for the rest of the year. It was borrowed for a month so we could try it out, so I'm not sweating a money loss.

But next year... What's your spelling suggestion for a 7yr old, who's NOT a natural speller, doesn't have a great visual memory, and is still building up his writing stamina (he does 12-15 words of copy work at a time, but any more = tears).

1. Continue into Essentials at 1/2 time. Upside- we know and are used to LOE, and we have all the parts. Downside- after A-C we are a bit LOE burnt out, and while it taught him to READ beautifully, he's always confused as to how to use the rules to SPELL. This might be developemental, or he may need more practice, or it may just not be a great fit.

2. Switch to Apples and Pears. Upside- I've heard great things about this for non-visual kids. Downside- maybe too much writing?

3. Spend 2nd grade (age 7/8) on copywork and keeping up phonics with the LOE game book once or twice a week and start a spelling program in 3rd. Upside- it's easy and gentle, and will give him time to build visual memory and writing stamina. Downside- maybe this isn't "enough"?

4. ???

I tried to make WRTR work and I just can't make it work. I need a very clear daily "do this" program, and my kiddo needs more "fun" than a list of words to write down together. It would take a LOT to make me buy AAS at this point. I've already invested in an expensive phonics program (LOE) and I'm not thrilled to buy another. I skipped LOE D for reasons :). The reading is a bit below him and we've always skilled the comprehension/grammar, so it wasn't worth it.

How about R&S Spelling? It's open and go and doesn't require too much writing. They emphasize phonics. My younger son is a little older then yours, but has the same issues--great reader but it doesn't crossover into spelling & problems with stamina.  I let spelling go for awhile, but found that it was affecting how much he wanted to write--he got really anxious after awhile when he didn't know how to spell a word. Right now, he's in ps, and they don't do much spelling, so it's been great for afterschooling. He does a page per day and completes it very happily.

• Like 1

Apples and pears has worked great for my younger daughter who is a terrible speller. But I didn't start it until she was in 4th grade. I really don't know if she'd be so successful if we had started it in 2nd grade or whether her success is because she's now (in 5th grade) at a point of academic maturity where she is ready to learn and aware of her spelling. You might keep that in mind.

• Like 1

2. Switch to Apples and Pears. Upside- I've heard great things about this for non-visual kids. Downside- maybe too much writing?

I LOVE Apples and Pears spelling.  If by fall the writing is a bit too much then have him do just 1/2 (or even 1/3) of a level a day which would really cut down on the amount of writing per day.  If he can handle more, you can increase it later to 1 level a day.

• Like 3

I really didn't like the idea of waiting until 3rd grade, but I think there is a lot of wisdom in it. Listen to Ellie. :-) 

With my 2nd, I started sporadic spelling after age 8. She is 26 lessons into Sequential Spelling (she's a patterns girl) and now rarely makes mistakes. She just had to learn to notice letters.

My son is having a spelling sabbatical right now. He's 10 and will probably do the adult version of Sequential Spelling when dd8 finishes her current level. Both these kids are voracious readers.

With my 3rd, I correct things she habitually spells wrong (do, does, write) but will probably hold off until she is 8, too. 

• Like 2

I started Apples and Pears older. It really helped my weak visual memory for spelling child.

How is his reading? I really don't think you need to focus on spelling at his age.

If you really want to do spelling, I'd consider working through Apples and Pears very slowly.

• Like 2

My daughter is only six and a half, I bought Apples and Pears thinking we would just take it slow. It really wasn't sticking. I guess we are on spelling sabbatical too. (Love that) I'm trying to tell myself that it's ok to wait until she is a rock solid reader. I think there is a lot of wisdom in Ellie's waiting approach. My oldest didn't have any spelling stick with her until last year (third grade). We tried AAS, LoE Essentials, Sequential spelling and Apples and Pears. I don't think her sudden ability has a whole lot to do with the program we are using (we saw good results with SS and A&P) but more to do with timing.

My DS7 recently finished LOE C and we moved right into Essentials. But neither one of us is enjoying it. I think its part spring fever/burn-out, part burn-out on this particular program, and part that he might not really be ready for Essentials. I'm ditching it, and we will focus on copywork and phonics games for the rest of the year. It was borrowed for a month so we could try it out, so I'm not sweating a money loss.

But next year... What's your spelling suggestion for a 7yr old, who's NOT a natural speller, doesn't have a great visual memory, and is still building up his writing stamina (he does 12-15 words of copy work at a time, but any more = tears).

1. Continue into Essentials at 1/2 time. Upside- we know and are used to LOE, and we have all the parts. Downside- after A-C we are a bit LOE burnt out, and while it taught him to READ beautifully, he's always confused as to how to use the rules to SPELL. This might be developemental, or he may need more practice, or it may just not be a great fit.

3. Spend 2nd grade (age 7/8) on copywork and keeping up phonics with the LOE game book once or twice a week and start a spelling program in 3rd. Upside- it's easy and gentle, and will give him time to build visual memory and writing stamina. Downside- maybe this isn't "enough"?

4. ???

I tried to make WRTR work and I just can't make it work. I need a very clear daily "do this" program, and my kiddo needs more "fun" than a list of words to write down together. It would take a LOT to make me buy AAS at this point. I've already invested in an expensive phonics program (LOE) and I'm not thrilled to buy another. I skipped LOE D for reasons :). The reading is a bit below him and we've always skilled the comprehension/grammar, so it wasn't worth it.

Option #3.  Honestly, he sounds very normal.   I wouldn't sweat it.  

Just read, read, and read some more. My oldest and middle child are not natural spellers. It really didn't click until 6th or 7th grade. I had them do copy work (favorite book, poetry book, etc). All my children are very good readers. Youngest is a natural speller, but his sisters are not. Their spelling dramatically improved by itself. Once they can type their work I make them type all their papers. Spell check is a big help not only to spell correctly but also to notice if you keep making the same spelling mistake over and over how you should spell a word. :)

TBH, I'd wait too. I didn't wait with my oldest and felt like she was moving along fine. But nothing really stuck. Miraculously, this year (3rd grade/8) spelling is sticking. It's not perfect, but it's not a worry of mine.

My 7yo is doing Essentials, but for the reading help, not the spelling.

If LOE isn't working, and you've been working the program to the best of your ability, please don't waste $/time/your DS7's enthusiasm on another Spalding Spin-Off.  Hunter hinted at what I think...Spalding is just not the best fit for young children.  

You can take words from his copywork and use those for spelling lessons.  

"The moon has a face like the clock in the hall,

she shines on thieves on the garden wall."

Put moon on the board, and play around with exchanging the first sound (soon, spoon, noon) and the last sound (mood, food, ...good - What!  That makes a different sound! Let's think of more "oo" sound words.)

Do the same with face, clock, hall/wall, shines, thieves, and garden.

Then copy the passage.

Another day, ask him to spell the spelling words aloud to you from his visual memory. "Close your eyes and try to see the words in your mind's eye."  If he cannot see the word, let him look at it (Put it on a 3x5 card.).  Turn the card over and try to visualize the word again.  Do this with all of the words.

After he can visualize all of the words and spell them aloud to you with confidence, and only after that, dictate the passage for him to write.

This process may take a whole week to get through 2 lines of a poem.  Slow and steady wins the race.  He will remember the words well, AND he will gain skill in working his visual memory so the progress will be exponential moving forward.  It is time-consuming and teacher-intensive, but definitely less so than Spalding.

I have something in the works that might be a good fit. It will be up for sale (digital form only right now) next week if all goes well.  It's the old 1919 Pearson Spelling Grade 2 reformatted and supplemented with phonogram work.  My lessons are not fun and do not include games.  They are short and sweet and leave time for something like Happy Phonics.

• Like 2

We have been successful with spelling in two ways:

1) I have been extremely happy with Sequential Spelling.

Dd8 (just turned 8yo, 2nd grade) has had many tears over spelling until we transitioned to this system.

--Sequential Spelling presents words in "word families."
Words this week:
show

low

blow

blower

stove

rove

Jove

grove

Each day for the rest of the week, different versions of these words and word families will be used.
showing

lowly

blowing

slowly

droves

roving

strove

clover

Disclaimer #1: Sequential Spelling has 25 words/day.  However, there is no law that says you cannot divide the lists in half according the amount of writing your child can do.

--In Sequential Spelling, you correct each word as you go along.  DO NOT wait to the end of the test to correct the words.  In this way, you can say, "You know how to spell 'show.'  'Low' is from the same word family.  Can you write it?"

From the Teacher's Manual:
The most common mistake made in teaching Sequential Spelling is to give the entire test and then correct it.  Students must self correct after each word, not at the end of the test.\

2) Kids are not going to learn to spell unless they do un-spelling-oriented writing. <-----my opinion

Dd writes 3 sentences in a spiral notebook every day using these Journal Prompts.

Disclaimer #2 You can also get this book from Amazon.

Disclaimer #3 There are many choices for Journal prompt books.

When she writes, I go away from her.  She sounds out the words as well as she can.  Yes, this is "inventive spelling."  *gak*  It forces her to apply the phonics she has learned, right or wrong.

Once the page is full, I mark the words that need to be fixed.  On a separate day (with no writing and no emotional attachments), we look them up in either a children's word book like this one or this one.   We also discuss punctuation, capitalization, and other grammar as it applies to the sentences.  If it is in neither of those, I find the page in the big dictionary that it will be on, and she finds the word.
Disclaimer #4: You don't need to purchase these specific dictionary books; You probably have easy/beginner dictionaries already on your bookshelf.

If the word is in neither of those, I find the page in the big dictionary that it will be on, and she finds the word.

• Like 1