Menu

Weight Watchers Day 1 - Bleh. :(

shinyhappypeople

How long does it take to adjust to eating like this? Was it worth it?

I'm fairly miserable.  I'm hungry.  I've been hungry all day.  No meal has left me satisfied for more than 30 minutes or so.  And yes, I realize I can have all the fruits and veg I want, but I did that and I'm STILL hungry (hunger pangs) and I don't want a (&*^&% plant, I want something that's actually filling.  I get 26 points, plus the weekly points.  I've used up my points for today, dipped 3 pts into the weekly allotment as well.  

I only (only?!) have 25 lb. to lose and I'll be at my goal weight and won't have to freak out about whether or not to get cheese on my sandwich at Subway.  (Oh my gosh, cheese sounds so good.  I have some sliced cheddar in the fridge and now I can't stop thinking about it.)  

It gets easier, right? 

No matter what diet style you choose, it takes more than a day to get past the cravings, eating habits and feeling eh.

I felt horrible the entire time I was on WW, and had to make a different choice, but it works well for millions.

Hang in there and good job on choosing health!

I've done several permutations of WW--not recently.

Do you know about the 1 point options? There are tons of things you can eat (that are not fruits and vegs) for one point. Some are not healthful foods (like frozen Coolwhip on graham crackers), but some are.

I would suggest that, if you are truly hungry, you will be able to fill up on fruits and vegs, you just don't want to. There's more to hunger than feeling full, IOW. That's the hard part. It's a decision to let yourself feel a little discomfort and not "panic."

It's a battle for me. I empathize. :grouphug:

It got easier for me. Overeating was what got me overweight in the first place so learning to eat less was an adjustment. But I persevered and met my goal. At the end, I figured I lost on average one pound per week. The first week was tough but once I got used to eating less and got used to tracking points, it all became easier. I met my goal in October 2012 and have stayed on maintenance and have even lost more than my goal weight. Some people say tracking is hard but I don't find it to be so, I have the online tools and calculating points and entering them in just take no time at all. I also eat alot of the same foods so I have those memorized.

I do think Weight Watchers is a good program. It's easy and it works, or at least it did for me. I like it because I can eat whatever I want to eat as long as it's a reasonable portion. I could never follow an eating plan that deprived me of foods I like. Anyway, I hope you give it a good try, at least 2 or 3 weeks.

One thing I found when I did WW in the past is that I would often use one or two points many times because I was still hungry in the afternoon or end of the day.  What worked far better in terms of hunger was to have more of a mini-meal.  So rather than munching my way through cheese sticks galore or counting out chips...I'd have half of a turkey sandwich, an egg on whole grain toast, etc.  Some of the frozen meals were even 4-5 points, so I'd go for one of those.  (I realize points have changed, so that may not be the case.)

I'd also try and divide my points roughly up for the day.  So for 26 points, I'd probably go for 6 points for breakfast, 7 points for lunch, and 7 points for dinner, and then have either one six point snack/mini-meal or two three point snacks.  

Two things that help me (and I'm not on WW) -

*if I'm hungry, but I'm not hungry enough to eat x, y, or z (usually some version of veg or air popped popcorn), then I'm actually not that hungry. When I'm really hungry, those things sound really good to me.

*FIBER - aside from keeping you regular, it also helps you feel full and takes a lot longer for your body to digest. So, in other words, you're fuller longer. Intact whole grains, potatoes, squashes, etc.

Hang in there! :)

Thanks :)  I feel less hungry this morning than I did last night.  The hunger pangs are gone.  I ended up watching TV and distracting myself from my cravings.

Things I learned about myself from yesterday:  26 points is not a lot of food.   I need to start STRONG in the morning and have a potato or something that I *know* will make me full for breakfast.  That should help the whole day go  better.  Also, the weekly points are there for a reason.

WIsh me luck...

And, so naturally, I did the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I said I would do in the previous post. :)

(If you knew me IRL you wouldn't be surprised)

I'm going to try eating zero points all morning (so, nothing but fruits and veggies) and save up my points for a bigger lunch and dinner.  I wasn't feeling hungry at all this morning, but then I ate a banana and my body was like, "Oh my gosh, FOOOOOOD!  FEEEEED MEEEEE!"  So, I had another fruit serving and I'm feeling fine.

Thanks :)  I feel less hungry this morning than I did last night.  The hunger pangs are gone.  I ended up watching TV and distracting myself from my cravings.

Things I learned about myself from yesterday:  26 points is not a lot of food.   I need to start STRONG in the morning and have a potato or something that I *know* will make me full for breakfast.  That should help the whole day go  better.  Also, the weekly points are there for a reason.

WIsh me luck...

Things that help me - 

--Find veggies I like, and eat them at every meal.

--Make every point count.  (Except a little chocolate!)

--Eat real food, not processed stuff.  There is more fiber, and better flavor.

--Protein at every meal.

--Divide my points through the day.

--The lowest point food is not always the best choice.   Hearty meals are good.  Something like a nice piece of salmon with lots of veggies can be more filling than a bunch of low-point fluff.

--Whole grains are more filling, so brown rice, whole wheat bread, etc.

--Watch glycemic index, to keep blood sugar on an even keel.

--Minimize added sugars.

--Be active in little ways.

--Use my Active Link to keep accurate track of Activity Points.

--If I have a day when I just seem to need more food, eat it, track it, and feel no guilt.  It usually balances out the next day.  

--Have a long-term outlook.  I can't sustain starving myself.  I need to eat quality, fiber-rich, delicious food - just 500 calories less of it each day.  Over time, this is sustainable and produces a slow-but-steady weight loss.

Protein makes you feel full longer. I've lost a lot of weight with calorie counting. I focused on getting lots of protein to help feel full. I would do a yogurt shake for breakfast with high protein yogurt and a salad for lunch with lots of turkey or chicken and boiled eggs. If I wanted seconds, I picked protein (eat extra chicken or meatloaf or whatever) instead of the carb option (breadsticks or potatoes). It gave me more bang for my buck with not eating too many calories and managing to not starve.

Losing weight is hard.