Menu

I have no words...

creekland

All I can say is this makes me shudder - as the parent of college students, as a mom, and as an American.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/11/north-carolina-man-charged-in-shooting-death-three-people/

:grouphug:  to the families and friends for whom this is very personal.

And may there be NO copycats looking for ??? (revenge? "justice?" their moment of "fame?")

Those poor students.  Our world has lost out.

It may be a copycat retaliation for the young American woman who was kidnapped leaving a Doctors without Borders hospital in Syria, held captive, and then announced dead yesterday.

May we all educate our children on the concept of the 'other' and support a good education for all so that we can live in peace.

This is what I'm guessing.  I just can't understand how anyone can believe that MORE killing - esp of those who go out there and volunteer to assist those who need it - is an ok response.  If they are upset at the original killing (as is natural), how does MORE killing of the innocents make it all ok?  It's a concept I don't get.

Whoa.

I would urge holding off on any conjecture right now.  Especially of the Fox News variety.

As far as I know, neither the Chapel Hill PD or the university have made any statements concerning motive.

I'm not saying it won't ultimately be determined to be a hate crime as described in the article.  But at this point that piece is nothing but speculation.

'Eye for an eye' is part of Islamic Law...he probably does not feel they are innocents, but are spreading their beliefs. Perhaps he feels he is sending a message in their language.

He seemed to hate all religions according to his page, and I would think particularly this one given what I've read about him.  When people start to feel like the law and the leaders are not meting out justice, those on the fringe start to feel compelled to act.  It happens in all sorts of groups of people.

Eye for an eye and meeting strength with strength (or fighting fire with fire) DOES seem to be the language radicals speak.  I think either things get taken care of by law, or vigilantes will come out of the woodwork more.

'Eye for an eye' is part of Islamic Law...he probably does not feel they are innocents, but are spreading their beliefs. Perhaps he feels he is sending a message in their language.

Um, not only Islamic Law.

It can be found in the Bible, the Torah and the Code of Hammurabi.  FYI.

And actually, from what I have read, "an eye for an eye" was historically a great reform.  It meant "ONLY one eye for an eye" so it was kind of like modern Tort reform.  You couldn't go overboard and kill the other person if you lost your eye...you were limited to what the law saw as reasonable damages for the loss you suffered.  Interesting.

CNN is reporting that an ongoing dispute over a parking space may have been an issue.  That's not the first report I've heard or read about an ongoing dispute between these neighbors.  I'm heading off for an appointment now so don't have time to hunt for and post supporting links.  Sorry!

Have friends who know the family.  It is very heartbreaking.  I was up very late last night after I found out.  They weren't reporting that they were Muslim kids last night...or that it was a hate crime.  Yet, it was.  The two girls wore hijab.  The husband and wife were married just in December.  He was in dental school, she just got in.  Her sister was an artist.  One family lost two daughters, I'm not sure if they have any other children.  

They were shot execution style.  In the head.

There has been speculation about revenge for Kayla...of course, Kayla and Deah were both trying to help Syrian Refugees, but why should that matter? Deah helped the homeless in Raleigh too.

Of course, films like "American Sniper" play a part as well. These kids were executed.  

I'm angry and sad and heartbroken over this.  Really hard to look at a picture of Yusor dancing with her Dad or hear from his family that Deah's last text was to his Mom "I love you Mama." https://www.facebook.com/ourthreewinners?fref=nf

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/02/11/reports-3-young-muslims-slain-in-chapel-hill-shooting-n-c-man-charged/  The overt motive was a dispute over parking. Parking spaces.  The three victims were all young, full of potential, and philanthropists. The organization supporting dental care they supported has already exceeded its online fundraising goal. You can contribute here if you are so inclined: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/syrian-dental-relief/206249  And there is a Facebook page honoring the lives of the three young victims here: https://www.facebook.com/ourthreewinners?sk=posts%2F503580046446633%3A0&app_data&pnref=story

However, given the gunman's social media postings, people are speculating on the hate-crime aspects of it: From the Guardian : http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/11/north-carolina-shooting-three-dead He had a quote by Dawkins posted on his Facebook page claiming disrespect for Abrahamic religions and linking them to 9-11. Article from the Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/chapel-hill-shooting-craig-stephen-hicks-condemned-all-religions-on-facebook-prior-to-muslim-massmurder-arrest-10038126.html  He self-identified as an atheist and anti-theist and one of his last 3 posts was "a picture from United Atheists of America asking “why radical Christians and radical Muslims are so opposed to each others’ influence when they agree about so many ideological issuesâ€.  So there reason to wonder about the extent to which his anti-religious beliefs factored into ratcheting up a dispute over parking spaces to execution-style murders. It's interesting to me that UK papers are the ones carrying these quotes. US news sources are refraining.

As people explore the connection between his beliefs and his actions, I think  it's critically important that the larger ideological community of which violent people are a part be respected when it condemns the violence by people espousing the same views. That is the best way to shut the connection between belief and violence down, imo. So I respect the right of any in the New Atheist movement, or any who wouldn't self-identify as part of that movement, but who do share his atheist or anti-theist beliefs to say that he was acting outside the bounds of that community's values, just as I respect the rights of Muslims to say that ISIS acts outside of the values of their community, and the rights of Christians to say that The Lord's Resistance Army, KKK, or the Norwegian shooter acted outside the values of Christianity.

I call BS on the parking spot being the sole reason. It's nice for people to think that all the anti-Muslim crap in the media doesn't have an effect, but it does.  It's nice for the media to think that two hours of Bradley Cooper dehumanizing Muslims and shooting them....and being an "American Hero" won't have an effect, but it does.  We saw it very visibly in anti-Muslim social media triple after the movie came out.

This guy hated Muslims and he killed a Muslim family, two of which were very visibly Muslim (wore hijab). It is far more than just a parking spot.  

Would the media give a Muslim guy the same credit? If a Deah had posted about how much he hated Americans or Atheists or whatever...and he had shot this guy, would it be about the parking space or about his faith/beliefs?

Sorry about the rant, but this really hurts.  A lot.

I call BS on the parking spot being the sole reason. It's nice for people to think that all the anti-Muslim crap in the media doesn't have an effect, but it does.  It's nice for the media to think that two hours of Bradley Cooper dehumanizing Muslims and shooting them....and being an "American Hero" won't have an effect, but it does.  We saw it very visibly in anti-Muslim social media triple after the movie came out.

This guy hated Muslims and he killed a Muslim family, two of which were very visibly Muslim (wore hijab). It is far more than just a parking spot.  

Would the media give a Muslim guy the same credit? If a Deah had posted about how much he hated Americans or Atheists or whatever...and he had shot this guy, would it be about the parking space or about his faith/beliefs?

Sorry about the rant, but this really hurts.  A lot.

I agree with you 100%.

The next excuse is going to be "nut-job who got hold of a gun".

I find the parking lot excuse hard to accept - gunning down 3 lives for it??

ETA: The victims' family says that this was a hate crime and that he had talked to them on earlier occasions with a gun in his belt:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/02/11/5508121/victims-father-says-chapel-hill.html#.VNuQgsaTRAs

Wow. Parking is really bad in Chapel Hill, but that's crazy.

I guess... From what I'm reading, it sounds like the issue was really the parking space, but surely the man's biases played a part in how he dealt with them in the days leading up to this violence, perhaps preventing him from trying to reach a solution, assuming the worst of the people he eventually killed, feeding into his anger about unrelated world issues... But maybe, when it's about parking, you just have to say, you know, he snapped. It's like road rage.

I call BS on the parking spot being the sole reason.

I don't believe anyone is saying or implying that the parking space issue is likely the only motive.  But it does sort of negate the idea that it was some sort of spur of the moment revenge act.

Just as an FYI for anyone interested --

Statement from UNC Chancellor Folt

Statement from the Dean of the School of Dentistry