Menu

Is this a recent trend, or have I just missed out?

Suzanne in ABQ

Last week, late afternoon, I got a hankering for ice cream.  I stopped at the Baskin Robbins and got my single scoop of rocky road in a sugar cone.

I realized I wouldn't be able to drive my stick shift and eat ice cream at the same time, so I was sitting in my car, enjoying my indulgence.  (I seriously haven't done that in years).

Okay, as I was sitting there (total of about 10 minutes), no less than five women went in to BR, by themselves, and came out with their ice cream.  

I thought that was interesting.

Then, this weekend, I took my mom for some ice cream (totally different place -- this one is a mom/pop soft serve place out here in the country), and the same thing happened.  Several unaccompanied women came in for their late afternoon/early evening snack.

Is this common?  I'm thinking I'll ask the ice cream servers if this happens regularly.  Are women all over the country popping into their local ice cream parlor at the end of the day for a little treat?  Or was this just a chance occurrence?

Wow, yesterday I really wanted some ice cream and if I'd had the opportunity, I would have slipped into a BR and gotten a cone.  Now I really want one!  And it's only 8 am!

My guess?   They are either women with kids who want to get something just for themselves, so they don't have to buy one for everyone.  Or, they are people who are supposed to be "dieting" and don't want to eat in front of their families.   (I have done both.) 

Or, women like ice cream.  :001_smile:

Most ice cream shops aren't open around here during this time of year.  Really it's probably the last thing on earth I want to eat right now because it's so dang cold. 

I did my food shopping on Saturday.  Before coming home I had to go to a meeting so the groceries sat in the car for 2 hours.  My milk froze!

So while you enjoy your cozy temperatures, think of us poor clucks freezing our @$$ off here!  :laugh:

I think it's a thing. For several weeks running, I went through the Dairy Queen drive through to get a blizzard after I finished cleaning a house. Just a little energy pick me up;) most of the time, I had a woman by herself in line directly in front of or behind me.

Huh.  I like ice cream year 'round.   It was about 22* yesterday when I was craving ice cream.   There is one regional chain that closes in the winter but I know Baskin Robbins is open. 

*Not cold enough to freeze milk in the car!  Yikes!

Yeah I'm pulling her leg.  I'm sure plenty of people eat ice cream around here during winter.

But right about now 22 sounds balmy to me. 

Huh.  I like ice cream year 'round.   It was about 22* yesterday when I was craving ice cream.   There is one regional chain that closes in the winter but I know Baskin Robbins is open. 

*Not cold enough to freeze milk in the car!  Yikes!

Me too! In fact, when it is cold, I think, "Hmm...cold...oh, ice cream!!" And the advantage is that you don't have to eat it too fast because of its melting on you.

I don't get it. What the new thing? I see individuals getting ice cream all the time. Men, women, young, old... *shrug*

Usually those who dine in are with someone, but individuals buying ice cream to go or sitting in their car with it isn't even slightly unusual here and hasn't been since I was a kid.

The old original Ben and Jerry's used to offer a penny off per cone per degree below zero. It was located in a college town in Vermont. When the temp dipped to 20 below or lower, there would be lines out the door for those cheaper than normal cones, temperature was no object.

Our local gelato place offers a percent off for each degree it is below freezing. It's a popular place to be when the temperature is 18 below! :)