Menu

Exercise Thread ~ February 1st - 7th

Negin

Confession: I have never played tennis in my life.

I played a bit when we lived in Hong Kong but hand-eye coordination (any kind of coordination, actually) is not my strong suit.  Plus, I had my first attack of tachycardia on a hot and humid day on the tennis court, and scared myself a bit.  It turned out to be benign, but that took years to work out....

Short moderate walk before work then a longer fast walk this afternoon.  Up to 14,000 steps for the day and close to six miles.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a 30 min cardio/kettlebell interval workout at Fitnessblender. Then I did a 15 min Tracy Anderson ab workout.  And now I am going to rest, lol.

Negin, how are you like your Classical Stretch? 

I am so impressed with everyone and your steps! I bet I hardly move all day, lol.

I decided to get a jawbone maybe next month. In March the Apple Watch comes out,and that will prob sync to the health app on iphone. There is speculation that will make the cost of other monitors to drop. Everything I see about the apple watch says that it will cost waaaaay more than I am willing to pay, so I will hold out for another month and get a cheaper jawbone monitor.  Plus, the apple watch is supposed to beep or something if you get an email or whatever.  Yuck! I already have a phone. I don't need anything else help people contact me.

A nasty cold, complete with postnasal drip has knocked me out.  Workouts all week have felt off, and I figured out why when I woke up this morning feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. 

Might get to the gym tomorrow...might not.  All our kids are grown so I have the luxury to take a day or two to do nothing when I get sick. I'm making up for all those days I 'worked' sick while I was raising kids. 

Nothing for the past few days. In the small amount of spare time that I have, I've been busy making our travel arrangements for the summer. It's a lot to do. I wish I had more time. Hopefully it'll all be sorted out by next week. :)

Negin, how are you like your Classical Stretch? 

Loving them so far. 

I'm alive! I feel like I've been drunk for a week. The only thing I've done lately is tetris and play on the hive. Yesterday was the first day I've done housework in a week, and after looking in my bullet journal (just started this) I know I haven't had a decent workout in 2 weeks. Oi. I'll do some light yoga later and maybe some cardio tomorrow. Maybe. I'll start a real workout week next week. Right now I'm going to go have some hummus and *not* throw it up. Life is good.  :coolgleamA:

Lovely short walk in the sunshine before work, then a brisk walk in the dark afterwards.  13,000 steps walked and the equivalent of 53 flights of stairs climbed (mostly walking up and down hills).  Drank two litres of water at work.  Hmm...  Feel a bit bloated, but maybe I'll get used to it.

Hobbes and his dad are going away for a few days tomorrow, so I have plans for big walks with the dog..... and nice visits to tea shops.

Wintermom, I am seriously jealous!

The tennis is my method of surviving this awful cold throughout this winter.  It's also fun to play in the spring, summer and fall, of course, but in the winter it's truly delightful.  :001_smile:  And the wine afterward could be classified as anti-freeze for the drive home. ;)

Tennis on Thursday was great! Looking forward to this evening tennis and wine!! :hurray:

Funny to think of playing tennis in icy air while I'm doing yoga in crazy heat...

The yoga sounds lovely and warm!

Thank goodness the air is heated in the teniis dome. I can wear shorts and t-shirt. It's only when going back outside again that the icy air hits you! 

The wine after tennis was great last night.  The tennis itself wasn't as fun as my partner and I didn't play too well together for the mixed doubles. I played a lot better in the ladies doubles. Sadly, one of the ladies got hit in the eye with a ball and had to go get checked out at the hospital. Hope she's alright. That's the only scary side of tennis.

Something like a seven mile walk today at a deliberately moderate speed.  Somehow I seem to have got my heart going though, according to my Fitbit.  Some of the walk was on the beach, so maybe ploughing through the sand was harder work than I thought.  Definitely good for the soul.  20,000 steps today. 

My boots seem to have split.  Oh well - I've used them pretty hard.

Let's see, Thursday night I threw in an hour yoga class. I swear it was all chaturangas and one leg sun salutations. Friday I just felt off. I hadn't had a rest day in awhile so I took one except for a quick mile sprint ( needed to pick up my car from the garage before it closed for the weekend). I had planned to do a 5 mile chilly chili run today but dd seems to have another MRSA skin infection so we went to the open ped office. On a Saturday. Ugh. I did get in a 4 mile run later. I had to send the 16 yo to her basketball tourney in MI with a team mate. I am not so secretly glad I'm not sitting in a gym though I miss seeing her play.

2 hour open mat.  We sparred for 3 minutes with 1 minute breaks in a round robin of 4 of us - times 3.  My partners were all men and over 6 feet tall the lightest of which outweighed me by a minimum of 50 lbs. It was exhausting and I got my butt kicked- or to be more accurate I kept dropping my front guard and getting punched in the head.  To be fair a woman my size, who kept her guard up, would have kicked my rear too.  Maybe that will teach me something...

I worked on a kick against a bag for a long time and had a lightbulb moment where I finally understood what the kick is supposed to be doing and where the power is supposed to come from.  Now to internalize that.

30 minutes of jujitsu against the coach. Last time I tapped out was from sheer exhaustion- I wasn't pinned; I just didn't have anything left in me to keep going.  Which brings me to a little bit of info for any of y'all who are also into martial arts.  According to him all my distance running doesn't do me any real good in sparring or grappling; I should be concentrating on sprinting and things like burpees with short rests.  Along with strength work, of course.

I plan on a long slow run (I know, silly as I should be sprinting but darn it- i like long slow runs) as soon as the huge plate of sautéed spinach with garlic and cream cheese digests a bit:)

Tennis was much better tonight! We won our ladies doubles match, but lost the mixed doubles. The mixed was really, really fun and intense. I wish I had some wine at home here to celebrate with. ;)

One more tennis match scheduled for tomorrow evening. Singles against my dh. I so want to beat him!!  :smash:   I guess I could use the raquet directly on his body if the tennis outcome doesn't go quite right for me.  :lol: