Menu

For those taking Natural Calm...

mlktwins

I am trying to take Natural Calm regularly, but I don't like the taste.  I have only tried it in hot drinks and I can manage it with a certain tea and sugar.  I'd like to try it in a cold drink.  I know I have to activate it with little hot water before adding the cold drink.

I'm looking for ideas though.  How do you take your Natural Calm?

I take "magnesium serene", because my local store carries it. I take the berry flavour because that is what I grabbed off the shelf, lol.

I like the taste just fine.  Maybe try a different brand than Natural Calm?

I just take 1 tsp in warm water and drink it down. Sometimes I top it off with a little cold water if I want more to drink or it is too hot. That is about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Magnesium-Serene-Flavor/dp/B003552WT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421452754&sr=8-1&keywords=magnesium+serene

I take magnesium citrate in capsules http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Veg-capsules-120-Count/dp/B0014M1VII/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421510389&sr=8-2&keywords=now+magnesium+citrate (One capsule is about 160 mg, which is perfect for my needs)  It also comes in soft gels and tablets.

My non-pill-swallowing kids get the powder version, which has nothing else in it http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Powder-Ounces/dp/B004189JCW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421510497&sr=8-3&keywords=now+magnesium+citrate I mix it with water and apple juice or a little sugar (if I do water and sugar, I use about twice as much measured sugar as mag citrate powder).  The flavor is naturally citrus-like.

I have bought several flavors of Natural Calm over the years.  Mostly, my kids don't care for the flavors (cherry being the better one).  The measured dosing of Calm is different - requires way more - than for the Now mag citrate powder.

FWIW, I never heard that the Calm powder needs to be activated by hot water.

Hi all!  I tried to post earlier, but couldn't from my laptop.  My 8 oz bottle does not have a flavor -- it is bitter though.  I'm about half way through and want to finish what I have.  I think I'll just try it in oj.

It does help relax me and has gotten rid of headaches.  I'm not taking it regularly though and want to give it a good try.

As for activating it for cold drinks, this is off the Natural Calm website:

I live in a place that is very hot. Do I have to drink it as a hot beverage?
No - put the Natural Calm powder in a cup and put one ounce of boiling water. After it finishes efflorescing (bubbling / fizzing) then add cold water.

Thanks so much for the information.  I'm going to look up the links later tonight and do a little research :-).

I put the raspberry lemon kind in very cold water with no problems at all. That's the only way I can tolerate it, actually. I don't really like juice or soda--I'm pretty much strictly a water person--and I hate fake sweeteners, even stevia. I put the Natural Calm in freezing cold water from my fridge, and it dissolves well enough for me to drink it with no issues. It's still not my favorite thing, but I can get it down!

I take magnesium citrate in capsules http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Veg-capsules-120-Count/dp/B0014M1VII/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421510389&sr=8-2&keywords=now+magnesium+citrate (One capsule is about 160 mg, which is perfect for my needs)  It also comes in soft gels and tablets.

My non-pill-swallowing kids get the powder version, which has nothing else in it http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Powder-Ounces/dp/B004189JCW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421510497&sr=8-3&keywords=now+magnesium+citrate I mix it with water and apple juice or a little sugar (if I do water and sugar, I use about twice as much measured sugar as mag citrate powder).  The flavor is naturally citrus-like.

I have bought several flavors of Natural Calm over the years.  Mostly, my kids don't care for the flavors (cherry being the better one).  The measured dosing of Calm is different - requires way more - than for the Now mag citrate powder.

FWIW, I never heard that the Calm powder needs to be activated by hot water.

Does the capsule help with sleep? I was thinking of switching from the powder to a capsule dose, this very one in fact, but while most of the reviews for the powder mention it helps with sleep, I am only seeing restless legs etc in the reviews for the capsules.

I know there is prob no difference, but I hate to get a whole bottle of capsules only to find that in capsule form it's not helpful for falling asleep.

This has been so fantastic for falling asleep, that I don't want to mess with it, lol.

Does the capsule help with sleep? I was thinking of switching from the powder to a capsule dose, this very one in fact, but while most of the reviews for the powder mention it helps with sleep, I am only seeing restless legs etc in the reviews for the capsules.

I know there is prob no difference, but I hate to get a whole bottle of capsules only to find that in capsule form it's not helpful for falling asleep.

This has been so fantastic for falling asleep, that I don't want to mess with it, lol.

:lurk5:  DH has been having trouble staying asleep at night, and I know he won't drink the Natural Calm. I'd like to get him some magnesium caps, or maybe the oil someone mentioned above.

:lurk5:  DH has been having trouble staying asleep at night, and I know he won't drink the Natural Calm. I'd like to get him some magnesium caps, or maybe the oil someone mentioned above.

I didn't think my DH would drink it either.  But I mixed some of the lemon into some ice tea for him and he said it wasn't bad.  He would never drink it in just water.