Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW2

Robin M

I always wanted to learn sign language because it seems so expressive to me.  I think it is probably an illusion, because I live in a clan who is really sensitive to tone of voice (another language of the heart?) and we all have to be really careful not to yell and we all have to listen to what somebody SOUNDS like rather than what they say, because despite being alarmingly straight forward, all the nuances are in the tone.  

Signed languages are only as expressive as the person using them, just like spoken languages. Extroverts can learn greater signing skills than introverts. I had the best receptive skills in my class, but the extroverts ended up with better productive skills in the end, even though I was more technically correct than one of them. Fun stuff. :)

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nan, this kind of conversation is best had in front of a fire, n'est ce pas? ;) But I shall try and meet you in the most uncomplicated way I can. Not so easy for this air-fire being, as water-earth Eliana aptly described me...

Shukriyya - If you want a discussion of what language of the heart might look like, read Drawing on the Artist Within.  The author explains her search for a universal visual language with which we are all born which can be used to express emotions, among other things.  Interestingly, when I was at the science museum drawing the tortoise yesterday, I was coopted to take part in an experiment having to do with sounds associated with sights across cultures.  They couldn't have picked a more interested participant lol.

I shall look this up when I'm done with Zentangles (is one ever really done with them? they are soo satisfying and content-making). It seems that you think this is better than her original? Robyn, are you interested in switching to this instead of the original or do you want to stay the course?

Language of the heart?  Shukriyya, if you asked my family, they would say that it sounds like ummmmm to them lol.  When it is important and I have to consult my heart, I stare into space and say ummmm (to keep anyone from talking to me) and after a bit, I know the answer.  I can't vocalize the reasons until they bubble up, usually about 24 or 48 hrs. later.  When they do, they arrive all nicely reasoned and super important and everyone says, "Oh wow, you are right."  It is annoying only to be able to tell people "because I want to" or "because I don't want to" or "because I don't think that is a good idea" meanwhile, but the big lesson of my thirties was to learn to trust that.  I was brought up that one had to supply logical reasons (one of which could be "because I can't deal with it right now") for everything.  It took awhile for me to learn that I HAVE logical reasons, really good ones, which can't be put into words. 

This is quite helpful, actually. And makes me think of the Sanskrit word 'Om' which sounds a lot like 'ummm', or even 'amen' if you drop in deep enough. Which is, of course, its own prayer. And if sound is form (which it is really, at least that's been my experience) how lovely to imagine the sound of 'ummm' literally shaping sinew and synapse. Next time I say 'ummm' I'm going to allow that this is my heart offering its own prayer that will hopefully river its way up through all the thought forms that might potentially be in the way though I like to imagine the heart's 'umm' dancing with the mind's thoughts to bring about the foundling of 'aha' or 'yes'. There's nothing like consenting to the heart, a kind of giddy, terrifying rush, particularly when that 'yes' is actually an ongoing, reciprocal conversation with the unknown.

Life with teenages when you are built this way is really really not fun.  Sigh.  Dancers speak a language of the heart.  So do musicians.  (My husband and I made a really fun discovery when we were 16: I picked songs for the music and ignored the words, he picked songs for the words and ignored the music, and yet we still picked the same songs.)  I always wanted to learn sign language because it seems so expressive to me.  I think it is probably an illusion, because I live in a clan who is really sensitive to tone of voice (another language of the heart?) and we all have to be really careful not to yell and we all have to listen to what somebody SOUNDS like rather than what they say, because despite being alarmingly straight forward, all the nuances are in the tone. 

Yes, yes! The heart is multilingual.

Shukriyya, have you read The Five Love Languages of Children?  I think it has some useful, if somewhat limited, ideas.  What about dreams?  Doesn't psychology say that they are a language?  I've never been too sure about that, but certainly, one thinks while one is asleep.  I wake up with the solutions to a problem or a question all the time.  Or they pop into my head when I haven't been thinking about them, in which case, I think I must have been thinking about them in the background, without words.

I skimmed 'The Five Love Languages' several years ago. Gleaned what I felt was relevant and composted the rest. I haven't seen the one for children though. As for dreams, well tomes and tomes have been written about them, haven't they? Years ago I had an experience before falling asleep where it became vividly apparent to me that for each breath one took there was a corresponding dream-visual and that dreams were really a record of the quality of one's breath over the course of the night. I'm not sure that's true. But then again I'm not sure it's not true, iykwim.

And to keep things somewhat bookish...I finished 'Solstice Wood' early this morning. The ending was very satisfying and the way the characters and plot gathered in complexity was very much a mirror of the theme of weaving, stitching, holding and dispersing. I liked it well enough to reserve the book that precedes it, 'Winter Rose'. My current question though is whether to plunge into 'Ahab's Wife' or skiff along with 'The Steerswoman' both of which have been reviled by several of my dear BaW friends, which intrigues the contrarian in me :lol:

We bought new pens and pencils yesterday, so will start our zentangling today!

It's always best to begin new projects with new stationary. It creates atmosphere.  :thumbup1:

I hope we can get the therapeutic/grounding effect groove going. We need something like that to be an antidote to another thing.

Awhile back, we were talking about the book of illustrations, one a page, that someone published for Moby Dick and talking about how we might do something like that.  A bunch of us are working on zentangles and I'm working on (or trying to - really slow progress) a picture-a-page project.  I know some people have talked about having a common book.  If you want to learn to draw, may I suggest Draw Squad if you want to draw imaginary things, or Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain if you want to learn to draw things you are looking at?  For most people (there Creekland, I qualified it lol) it is just a matter of practice.  Fill three sketch pads and you will find you are able to draw fairly well. : )  Anyway, I would be interested in looking at those journal entries.  Do you have a link?  Or will a search pull up what you are talking about?

Nan

ETA - After investigating a bit, I think you might like Draw Squad or one of the zentangles books. : )

Nan,

Were you able to find it googling? This is the homepage of the blog. They're also on facebook. I also found a related group that seems to be working in conjunction with but separately from the DLP group, if anyone would be interested: Documented Faith. It's fascinating but I'm not even sure where to start. Small, I guess. :)

Thanks for the book recommendations; I think I have all that you mentioned lying around here somewhere. I have delusions that if I only own the art books and the art supplies that someday I will become artistic.  :lol:  That's definitely going on my goals list--a little time drawing each day. Thanks for the encouragement.

(I just had a thought that maybe this is all off topic...sorry everyone!!)

(I just had a thought that maybe this is all off topic...sorry everyone!!)

Not off topic.  I just read a drawing book and am in the middle of another and we've been talking about a third and a number of people are doing either zentangles books or the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book together (or are planning to do it later).  Definitely about books. : )

Nan

We bought new pens and pencils yesterday, so will start our zentangling today!

It's always best to begin new projects with new stationary. It creates atmosphere.  :thumbup1:

I hope we can get the therapeutic/grounding effect groove going. We need something like that to be an antidote to another thing.

Rosie, if you find you aren't getting anywhere with the new paper, try using scrap paper.  Sometimes it is easier to work on scrap paper.  It doesn't seem as important so you feel more free to either begin or finish or try new things.  White-fright is very real.  Skipping around in a notebook can help with this, too.  I find this sort of thing really grounding.  I hope you do, to.  And fun.  And easy.  You can put on an audiobook if you need something to keep part of your mind occupied while the other part does its thing.

Nan

Nan, this kind of conversation is best had in front of a fire, n'est pas? ;) But I shall try and meet you in the most uncomplicated way I can. Not so easy for this air-fire being, as water-earth Eliana aptly described me...

I shall look this up when I'm done with Zentangles (is one ever really done with them? they are soo satisfying and content-making). It seems that you think this is better than her original? Robyn, are you interested in switching to this instead of the original or do you want to stay the course?

This is quite helpful, actually. And makes me think of the Sanskrit word 'Om' which sounds a lot like 'ummm', or even 'amen' if you drop in deep enough. Which is, of course, its own prayer. And if sound is form (which it is really, at least that's been my experience) how lovely to imagine the sound of 'ummm' literally shaping sinew and synapse. Next time I say 'ummm' I'm going to allow that this is my heart offering its own prayer that will hopefully river its way up through all the thought forms that might potentially be in the way though I like to imagine the heart's 'umm' dancing with the mind's thoughts to bring about the foundling of 'aha' or 'yes'. There's nothing like consenting to the heart, a kind of giddy, terrifying rush, particularly when that 'yes' is actually an ongoing, reciprocal conversation with the unknown.

Yes, yes! The heart is multilingual.

I skimmed 'The Five Love Languages' several years ago. Gleaned what I felt was relevant and composted the rest. I haven't seen the one for children though. As for dreams, well tomes and tomes have been written about them, haven't they? Years ago I had an experience before falling asleep where it became vividly apparent to me that for each breath one took there was a corresponding dream-visual and that dreams were really a record of the quality of one's breath over the course of the night. I'm not sure that's true. But then again I'm not sure it's not true, iykwim.

And to keep things somewhat bookish...I finished 'Solstice Wood' early this morning. The ending was very satisfying and the way the characters and plot gathered in complexity was very much a mirror of the theme of weaving, stitching, holding and dispersing. I liked it well enough to reserve the book that precedes it, 'Winter Rose'. My current question though is whether to plunge into 'Ahab's Wife' or skiff along with 'The Steerswoman' both of which have been reviled by several of my dear BaW friends, which intrigues the contrarian in me :lol:

Well, *I* am in front of a fire.  The kettle is on.  Where are you?  I agree this is not the best medium for this sort of thing. : )

If you are air-fire, and Eliana is water-earth, what am I?  How do you know which you are?  Have you read Troubled Waters?

I hope I never am done with zentangles.  I have been making something like them since middle school and haven't finished yet...

Ommm/Ummm/Amen.  Now there is an intersting thought.  I can tell you the ummm is important.  I say it to myself, sometimes, even if nobody is around and I want to think.  I say Hmmmm, too, when I am surprised by something in a noticing sort of way and am processing.  I didn't realize it was anything other than a way of indicating to other people that one needs time to think.  I know other languages have the same sort of wait-a-moment (mmoomment?) sound.  The French one isn't an Om, is it?  I wish I could remember what the Japanese one is.  I will have to investigate.  Maybe it is a slow exhale thing rather than an actual vowel-em thing?  I like the shaping idea.  It doesn't really feel like that to me, more like a way to help me go glassy-eyed and a way to pass the time I need, but who knows?

I don't think you want to switch books.  DotRSB is a drawing textbook.  The book I'm reading is not.  It has drawing assignments in it, but if you want to learn to draw, you want the first book.  The one I am reading is something different, more a description of her efforts to figure out how to teach creativity.  It doesn't say anything about creativity I haven't discovered for myself, but I am enjoying reading it for the information about drawing as a language.  It is full of interesting quotes, as well, and I am enjoying hearing about her journey.

I just mentioned Five Love Languages because the author says there are five languages of love.  It isn't a particularly deep book and a quick skim of what the five and how much pain mismatches can cause pretty much covers it.  The part I found useful wasn't the languages part but the idea that there could be a mismatch.  I think you are better off reading one of your other books?

Ayup... probably too much has been written about dreams lol.  I dreamed last night that I found the cat actually IN the toilet drinking out of it.  She isn't a kitty who drinks from the toilet unless desperate.  I don't think I want to know what that dream means lol.  My husband changes his breathing when he is having a nightmare so I will wake him up, which makes me think perhaps his dreams, at least, last longer than a breath.  It is an intriguing idea, though.  One I will have to think about.  So much is linked to breath...

Does Winter Rose precede Solstice Wood?  It's been awhile since I read that one.  I thought it was a fairytale one.  And I thought it was the one I didn't like as well.  I could be wrong, though.  I'm glad you liked Solstice Wood.  Which did you like better, SW or SKoFT?  And why?

Nan

Sophia, thank you for that link. I spent some time with it on my phone and will revisit it on my laptop. For now Zentangles are feeding my need to put something on paper that isn't words but I do love the aspiration behind this project.

Rosie, hope you find the zentangles fun. In my limited experience of oh, less than a week, ;) it seems that if you show up at the page the rest takes care of itself with no need for cultivating any groove whatsoever. Something about the absorption of them and the satisfaction of seeing something really lovely taking place. Today as I was driving I noticed a leafless, grey tree with a beautiful spread of branches and I thought, hmm, I could make that into a zentangle.

Well, *I* am in front of a fire.  The kettle is on.  Where are you?  I agree this is not the best medium for this sort of thing. : )

If you are air-fire, and Eliana is water-earth, what am I?  How do you know which you are?  Have you read Troubled Waters?

I hope I never am done with zentangles.  I have been making something like them since middle school and haven't finished yet...

Ommm/Ummm/Amen.  Now there is an intersting thought.  I can tell you the ummm is important.  I say it to myself, sometimes, even if nobody is around and I want to think.  I say Hmmmm, too, when I am surprised by something in a noticing sort of way and am processing.  I didn't realize it was anything other than a way of indicating to other people that one needs time to think.  I know other languages have the same sort of wait-a-moment (mmoomment?) sound.  The French one isn't an Om, is it?  I wish I could remember what the Japanese one is.  I will have to investigate.  Maybe it is a slow exhale thing rather than an actual vowel-em thing?  I like the shaping idea.  It doesn't really feel like that to me, more like a way to help me go glassy-eyed and a way to pass the time I need, but who knows?

I don't think you want to switch books.  DotRSB is a drawing textbook.  The book I'm reading is not.  It has drawing assignments in it, but if you want to learn to draw, you want the first book.  The one I am reading is something different, more a description of her efforts to figure out how to teach creativity.  It doesn't say anything about creativity I haven't discovered for myself, but I am enjoying reading it for the information about drawing as a language.  It is full of interesting quotes, as well, and I am enjoying hearing about her journey.

I just mentioned Five Love Languages because the author says there are five languages of love.  It isn't a particularly deep book and a quick skim of what the five and how much pain mismatches can cause pretty much covers it.  The part I found useful wasn't the languages part but the idea that there could be a mismatch.  I think you are better off reading one of your other books?

Ayup... probably too much has been written about dreams lol.  I dreamed last night that I found the cat actually IN the toilet drinking out of it.  She isn't a kitty who drinks from the toilet unless desperate.  I don't think I want to know what that dream means lol.  My husband changes his breathing when he is having a nightmare so I will wake him up, which makes me think perhaps his dreams, at least, last longer than a breath.  It is an intriguing idea, though.  One I will have to think about.  So much is linked to breath...

Does Winter Rose precede Solstice Wood?  It's been awhile since I read that one.  I thought it was a fairytale one.  And I thought it was the one I didn't like as well.  I could be wrong, though.  I'm glad you liked Solstice Wood.  Which did you like better, SW or SKoFT?  And why?

Nan

I'm in the kitchen but no fireplace there. Am about to make ds's dinner. I do like the other conversation that is going on though, the unspoken one. That's always interesting and I enjoy that experience with a lot of my BaW friends.

Re the elements. I don't think I can explain that. And I don't have enough of a sense of you to intuit what might predominate. Interestingly Eliana's comment sparked a good conversation here at home about how amazing it is that one's words, the choice of them, the phrasing and articulation could embody the elements such that she was able to correctly name the two elements that predominate in me and I in her though dh would refine it further and say for me, fire-ether rather fire-air. And we've never met. And Eliana's so very much water-earth. I don't know how either of us know this but it has come up before in conversation. She's kind of like another country for me but we intersect somewhere that is not really nameable but lovely. It's probably her wonderful heart.  And then there are a lot of Sufi teachings and Buddhist teachings and Chinese teachings on such things. If I felt in to each you wonderful BaW ladies I imagine it would be an interesting elemental experience. Okay, doffing the woowoo hat now :lol:

It sounds like DotRSB is the one to stick with. It will be interesting to revisit this a few lifetimes later.

'Winter Rose' does indeed precede 'Solstice Wood'. I think I preferred SKoFT because the characters were a little more complex and there was more a sense comfortable ambiguity throughout the story as a whole though I did very much enjoy SW.

If you are air-fire, and Eliana is water-earth, what am I?  How do you know which you are?  

I can pull a Tarot card for you, if you like. :p

(I'm going to guess earth/air)

The love languages guy totally forgot food. What kind of person could forget that? :svengo:

I can pull a Tarot card for you, if you like. :p

(I'm going to guess earth/air)

The love languages guy totally forgot food. What kind of person could forget that? :svengo:

Earth-air is what I thought, too, but along with the air is a fair amount of water so it could go either way. For you, Rosie, earth-fire :D

Ok, well now I'm insanely curious if I'm earth-air-water-fire-stuff-more stuff-or just dazed & confused...? :D

;)

(Actually, I am really curious. Anyone want to take a guess? And, if you do, you have to explain what it means. For example, what does it mean to be earth-air? or air-fire? or whatever?)

(Actually, I am really curious. Anyone want to take a guess? And, if you do, you have to explain what it means. For example, what does it mean to be earth-air? or air-fire? or whatever?)

Dunno. If anyone is thinking I'm at all fire, they're using these words differently to the way I use them!

If I recall correctly, you've got a bit of fire hiding in your soul. :)

Ok, well now I'm insanely curious if I'm earth-air-water-fire-stuff-more stuff-or just dazed & confused...? :D

;)

:lol:

You must have been tuning into the convo ds and I are having right this moment as we go through each of you elementally. The predominate element is sometimes easier to intuit than its complementary one. Ds says you're earth-air. He's likely right but I'd have to meditate on it a bit more 'cause the water keeps wanting to bubble up somewhere :D

I don't know what paradigm Shukriyya is working off. I'm working off Tarot suits because I like them.

So for me-

Fire= Passion/ energy

Air= Intellect

Water= Emotion/ intuition

Earth= Practicality and Home

Roughly speaking.

(And we were only discussing your warrior spirit the other week, Stacia. :) )

So, what does it mean to be "earth"? Or "air"? Or whatever?

And, Rosie, why do you think your definition of fire is different?

The best way I can think of to explain it is to have you imagine the movement of the element itself...so water flows, bends, meets obstacles with no resistance...earth is solid, comforting, nourishing with not a lot of movement, patient...fire's movement is rising, quick, cutting, flaring or else simmering, glowing, it's hot, it burns, it cooks, it's here and there...air is also upwards moving but in a more expansive way than fire, it's quick, insubstantial, mutable, subtle, cooling. Kind of like that.

Okay, Rosie, I see you're using the Tarot paradigm though I don't know which deck you're working with and that's a factor because each deck interprets the elements somewhat differently. I'm coming from a Sufi perspective so earth and fire feel intuitively right for you though a bit presumptuous on my part. Of course we all have all of these elements within and in the interests of balance the ideal is to work to bring the ones that feel more difficult to embody to the fore. Earth is difficult for me to embody and water is a close second. Marriage and motherhood have allowed me to embody more of the earth element and to a certain extent water though living in any situation where there is more than one of you necessitates water.

Okay, Stacia, clear as mud? :lol:

Adding Zen to my reading list! I'm gearing up for a return to school for an MFA in creative writing. I need some motivation!

I'm halfway through All the Light We Cannot See. It's really great! It's a larger book, but I think I'll finish by this weekend.

I find this thread inpossible to keep up with. If my posts seem out of sync, that is why. :)

Have you decided on a school yet or going to do a low residency course. I'm still trying to decide whether to go on for masters or not. What are you doing to gear up....lots of reading, writing and analyzing? The thread should calm down I a few weeks, they usually are quite busy at the beginning of the year.

How are you getting your photos in?  I tried taking one on my ipad and getting on the board on my ipad and attaching it, but it was too big and I have no idea how to get the picture smaller on an ipad.  The other way is laborious - take it on my camera, download it, then email it to myself selecting a smaller size, then save and attach it.  I am sure there is a better way to do it involving the ipad.

By Rosie's definitions, I'm guessing I might be water?  I can't figure it out based on Shukriyya's definitions.  I'm not particularly known for going with the flow lol, if that is what water means?  But I am so water-oriented in real life that I have trouble leaving that out.  My family would laugh themselves sick at the idea of me being practical.  I only can exist as I am because somebody else is dealing with all the practicalities.  I have trouble imagining myself as earth, but then again, I'm the one that gets left taking care of the children when anything traumatic happens in my clan, and I was a really happy stay-at-home mother, much happier in that role than most people I know.  I'm not really domestic, though.  If you are living with me, you had better get used to dust, chaos, mice, spiders, too many pets, and an endless diet of peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches.  And I am most definitely not intellectual, not the way so many of you are.  So I don't know where that leaves me?  I don't understand the movement part of your explanation at all, Shukriyya.  Maybe I just can't see myself?  How about Jane Austen characters.  Which would they be?

Nan

Hot flashes. Earth mother, fire storms, watery souls, silent thinking.....interesting rabbit trails you gals have wondered down. How zen! I love how you all spark off of one another. I'm off to take a long walk with my hubby. Behave yourselves.

Nan, it's not complicated, that must be my lack of earth clouding things up in the delivery--air, air, air with no tent pegs :lol: So next time you're out in nature observe how each of the elements is moving, its nature, its qualities and then during the day watch to see if any of that is mirrored in your own experience of yourself in the world and to what degree. C'est tout!

Re the photos, the easiest way is to use an online photo account like flickr or photobucket or something like that. Upload the photos to your account and then click on the photo you want to use. You'll be given an html code to insert in your post and then voila, the picture will appear.

Inna, those tangles are lovely. Are they yours? I had seen black tiles on Amazon but didn't realize how pretty the results would be. That would open up a whole new experience. Ds and I have had fun again tonight working on our own tangles with some lovely Celtic music playing while the dogs snored and grunted softly in their sleep.

Nan, you can use Photobucket app. Also, did you get my PM about Pratchett books?

Shukriyya, yes they are mine. :) I've used a small Moleskine book for that. Another fun thing is to use different color GellyRoll pens, metallic etc for tangles. They really pop and make some cool effects.

I'm about to initiate my final trial of the Great Likes Count, so expect a flurry.

Also, re: Ulysses.  Having just finished the 6th episode, I had a revelation that made me :lol:  .  This guy must have had non-stop chattering voices in his head just.like.me.  (Don't get me wrong, his voices are substantially more LITERATE than mine.  And his observations of the world about him substantially more KEEN.  But their incessant bubbling random-walk nature?  This, I recognize.)

Earth (practical and domestic) with a life long longing to be water or air. In other words, conflicted. :lol:  Very little fire in me, even though one of my favorite things to do is tend the fire.

I have developed a philosophy of the mmmm sound. In my mind it is a recognition of the feminine. Mom, mam, mama, omma, mammal, mammary. It is the sound of an appreciative infant at the breast, who is surely enjoying life in the present. (The pause that refreshes. :lol: )

I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Once again I am grateful to be living in this time and place, in spite of any percieved deficiencies.

OK, then:

Hypothesis:  That our "likes" ration has been reduced from its prior rumored allocation of 50, to something less.  Say, 30.

Procedure:

1.  Abstain from using the Like button for a full 48 hours 

2.  Race as fast as possible to like as profligately as possible until maximum is reached

3.  Count and record results

Results:   Trial 1:  95 likes 

Trial 2: 101 likes

Trial 3: 99 likes

Conclusions:  Well, with reluctance, I grudgingly accept the evidence that our full allocation is 100 (and I'm making minor counting mistakes...).  That so many of us so frequently run out suggests that we WISH to affirm / confirm / laugh with / respond to / otherwise validate one another's posts suggests... well, a warm supportive dynamic that I at least can only see as positive.

Perhaps it's time for a grass roots movement: Share the love!  Increase the likes ration!

Area for follow-up research:  I am mildly curious about the replenishment algorithm (the mechanism and pace by which our likes are restored).  However, as no good experiment design to check this has yet sprung to mind, this will have to wait for another day...

Nan, it's not complicated, that must be my lack of earth clouding things up in the delivery--air, air, air with no tent pegs :lol: So next time you're out in nature observe how each of the elements is moving, its nature, its qualities and then during the day watch to see if any of that is mirrored in your own experience of yourself in the world and to what degree. C'est tout!

Re the photos, the easiest way is to use an online photo account like flickr or photobucket or something like that. Upload the photos to your account and then click on the photo you want to use. You'll be given an html code to insert in your post and then voila, the picture will appear.

Inna, those tangles are lovely. Are they yours? I had seen black tiles on Amazon but didn't realize how pretty the results would be. That would open up a whole new experience. Ds and I have had fun again tonight working on our own tangles with some lovely Celtic music playing while the dogs snored and grunted softly in their sleep.

Hmmm... So by that def, I guess I identify with water, real water, not just the idea of water. Real water, in my experience, tends to stay within borders which it moves around to be comfortable and alters to make its path or bed easier. It tends to alter things slowly unless there is a storm. It supports life. It is constantly moving on the surface but is stiller underneath. At times it is frozen and immovable, or pushes things around. At times it vanishes.

No online photo account. Maybe I can find an app that lowers photo quality. I think the stuff at the bottom of twtm posting window works, just not with with high res photos.

Inna, I haven,t played with gel pens since the children were small. What a good idea! Some of those look like they would make nice henna designs.

Nan

I have several books going right now but I did finish Festive in Death last night by JD Robb.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20821249-festive-in-death. I thought it was quite good. I think I have read all the books in the series and these really have stayed strong. This one had an interesting crime and a good mix of favorite characters.

I think someone here said the next one is out soon so I am now officially ready for it!

So how do you actually put in the photo? I have shrunk my sort-of-tangle and I tried attaching it and it attached as a thumbnail, which isn't what I want. I know how to paste on my laptop, but not my Mimi, at least not a photo. I can get it to copy, I think, but the only choices it seem to have when I hold down in the post are select and select all.

Nan

So, regarding the "likes" study...

Have you considered posting on the "Site News" part of the board & posing the question there to the techies/powers that be?

They may at least answer with how it is supposed to work, the allotment of likes, what the algorithm is, etc.... It could make your study move forward a little more quickly.

(Shukriyya & Rosie, are those questions from the earth side of me? Lol!)

Oh and I finished Sense and Sensibility for the umpteenth time. I have been listening to it when I go to sleep. I am grateful to Karen Savage, who read it for free for libravox.

Nan

This one is my favorite Austen. 

I never knew zentangles had a name. That is the art/drawing/doodling I did all the time as a kid. When I doodle now it's still always zentangle. I never knew that "style" had a name. 

I was cool and didn't even it!

Haven't read anything in the last few days! Well, except my class notes and curricula for my kids. I was so happy to find out that Mr. Q is having his 50% off sale this week which just so happened to coincide with me looking for A&P curriculum for my kids. I figure if I'm taking human A&P this semester then they will do it along with me. It'll just be that much more "study" time for me while going through their work with them. Win-win! And triple win with the sale! Serendipity!

Oh and I finished Sense and Sensibility for the umpteenth time. I have been listening to it when I go to sleep. I am grateful to Karen Savage, who read it for free for libravox.

Nan

My brother and I have total fan boy/girl crushes on Karen Savage.

I've just finished my dreadful chick lit, which was as dreadful as promised and the perfect companion to insomnia bought on by an evil little mozzie whining in my ear. I only wish I had another lined up to read. But I must gripe about ending the book with "I've found my soul mate" when for half the book, the heroine has been agonising over which bloke to choose.

My brother and I have total fan boy/girl crushes on Karen Savage.

I've just finished my dreadful chick lit, which was as dreadful as promised and the perfect companion to insomnia bought on by an evil little mozzie whining in my ear. I only wish I had another lined up to read. But I must gripe about ending the book with "I've found my soul mate" when for half the book, the heroine has been agonising over which bloke to choose.

Send your squito this way and I will ice him with my magic powers.

Just want to say you all are lovely!  so glad I signed on for this...

Interesting that with Rosie's def's, I feel earth-water-air with no strong pull to any except definitely not fire whereas with Shukriyya's I feel  air + fire.   Probably the word choices- no to passion and yes to flaring and simmering  (and quick, insubstantial, mutable for air).   But I am historically very poor at analyzing myself.   Regarding 'pull' of some element - I was fascinated with both water and fire for years.  Now not either so much and nothing has really jumped in to replace them either.

I have read many (many!) zentangle books - and managed to produce maybe (maybe!) two - I am only sure of one because I just did it a couple of weeks ago.  So I am in awe of those jumping right in.   Of course drawing is the same - I own many drawing/painting/journaling books - but the output just doesn't happen (except those times I have taken a formal class).     All dreams and no production (which would be all air and no earth in my own personal symbolism).

My book group last night did indeed have a great discussion on IrĂƒÂ¨ne NĂƒÂ©mirovsky's Suite FranĂƒÂ§aise.

Yesterday, I read Amy Harmon's Running Barefoot.  This book has more religious (Christian) content than her other books; it was an enjoyable read.

"When Josie Jensen, an awkward thirteen-year-old musical prodigy crashes headlong into new-comer Samuel Yazzie, an eighteen-year-old Navajo boy full of anger and confusion, an unlikely friendship blooms. Josie teaches Samuel about words, music and friendship, and along the way finds a kindred spirit. Upon graduation, Samuel abandons the sleepy, small town in search of a future and a life, leaving his young mentor behind. Many years go by and Samuel returns, finding his old friend in need of the very things she offered him years before. Their roles reversed, Samuel teaches Josie about life, love, and letting go. Deeply romantic and poignant, Running Barefoot is the story of a small town girl and a Native American boy, the ties that bind them to their homes and families, and the love that gives them wings."

And here's a review for you, Angel, that addresses content.

Regards,

Kareni