Menu

Gifts for older teens

Trilliums

What kinds of gifts are you all getting for your older teens?

My oldest son is a high school senior, heading off to college next year.  We don't know WHERE yet though.

There isn't anything he wants and I can't even think of anything he needs, other than a new phone case, which he argued against because his current one is holding up quite well with the duck tape.  He just is a pretty minimalist guy.  SO, hoping to get some ideas flowing based on gifts other people are getting.  I am currently at ear buds and fuzzy lounge pants.  Whoopie!

My minimalist guy is getting cash and some Starbucks coffee drinks from the grocery. This year I seem to be giving him things as I buy them, but they are mostly needed items, like new clothes. 

He did get inspired by Star Wars lego last night and may buy some of those after the holiday. I got a bit nostalgic as it's been years since he wanted Lego for Christmas. 

I like the cash because, while he is grateful for any gifts, he generally has a list of items he'd like to buy and the priority of the items changes. The cash gives him some control over what he buy and he likes getting cash. 

Teen dd is getting more books this year than anything.

Teen ds wants a better keyboard (an expensive 'gaming' keyboard) for his computer, so that's his big item.

Both are getting some fun t-shirts & food stuff, along with some gift cards for their preferred online gaming.

Would your ds want stuff like tickets to an event or movie passes? Magazine subscription?

Computer stuff - new mouse, new keyboard... My son is getting clothes; he will not love the idea but he has an interview weekend in Februray. I figure the gift is at least he doesn't have to shop for them - if they do not fit, I will return them and buy something else. I will get him movie tickets so he can go with friends. and food.

They're tough to buy for sometimes, aren't they?

My 17 yo is getting Mario Kart for Wii, which he actually requested. Since we don't have the steering wheels, he's also getting two of those. His girlfriend got him an Xbox game he's been eyeing. 

Other gifts (including stocking stuffers) - a new wallet, some hand gel from Bath & Body Works, his favorite style ear buds, guitar picks (thanks to another thread here), a flash drive (he's starting dual enrollment in January and will need this), and a Steam gift card. 

We got ds a chess set based on one of his favorite video games, a gaming keyboard, new monitor and mouse (he's a gamer, can you tell?), a heavy bathrobe with a hood, a really cool leather journal and a betta tank with a gift card to our local pet store to pick out a betta. We also got him Alhambra and a special edition Risk to encourage non-computer games. Family members usually give him cash or various gift cards (Starbucks, GameStop, Target, Subway, Steam, etc). My mil got him a really nice quilted flannel shirt jacket. 

Youngest DS is a major minimalist.  He has almost no wants.  So for Christmas he's getting an electric razor (a definite need) and money.  He does like to see his bank account grow, so that's a win/win.

Oldest DS also wants money because he loves to shop for and buy nice clothes (they really are polar opposites).  So he's getting mostly money.  Also a Tervis water bottle with his college logo on it, a pair of gloves and some video game (DH bought that; I'm not sure what it is).

And we get both of them some scratch off lottery tickets.  It's the only time we ever buy lottery stuff, but it's become somewhat of a tradition.

So there won't be much under the tree, but they'll both be happy with their money.  And that's all the matters.