Menu

My Son will be Entertaining at the LDS Church on Saturday

Spy Car

Some of you may be surprised to hear we've gone Mormon (not the least of whom would be me, since it ain't so :D), but we will be heading to the Oak Park Ward Saturday night where William will be a small part of the Christmas program, playing a few holiday classics on piano.

After all these years of being entertained at the holidays by sounds of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, I figure this is a good way to get even reciprocate :p

Hopefully his playing doesn't shake anyone's faith in a kind and merciful God.

Bill 

I would love to come hear!

Our high school choral group often sang during local church services, including LDS services and Catholic mass. As long as the music was appropriate to the occasion I don't think anyone was particularly concerned about the religion (or unreligion) of the participants.

I would love to come hear!

Our high school choral group often sang during local church services, including LDS services and Catholic mass. As long as the music was appropriate to the occasion I don't think anyone was particularly concerned about the religion (or unreligion) of the participants.

I have a feeling the only concerns will be whether he hits the right notes or not :D

Bill

My younger son is in a choir.  Most of their performances have been in churches singing very religious songs.  Somehow I've managed to enter the various religious establishments without bursting into flames.

I happen to love the traditional (religious) Christmas songs and hymns the most, in any case. 

Give me Come All Ye Faithful or Silent Night over Holly Jolly Christmas or Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree any day.

Bill

I admit to doing a double take after reading you converted.  I would have assumed you had a stroke. 

:laugh:

(not that strokes are funny)

I was going to say "stranger things have happened," but it wouldn't be true :D

Maybe if it works out we'll head over to the shul and torture entertain the Jews with a few rounds of Shalom Chaverim and the Dreidel song  :laugh:

What to do about Ramadan?

Bill

I happen to love the traditional (religious) Christmas songs and hymns the most, in any case.

Give me Come All Ye Faithful or Silent Night over Holly Jolly Christmas or Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree any day.

Bill

I'll even take Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree over Santa Baby. That song should be banned from the airwaves... (can you guess what was on the radio Christmas music station when I tuned in to it the other day???)

I'll even take Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree over Santa Baby. That song should be banned from the airwaves... (can you guess what was on the radio Christmas music station when I tuned in to it the other day???)

If there is a worse Christmas song than Santa Baby, I don't want to know about it :D

Bill

Bill

I don't know. As a pianist, accompanying Silent Night is one of the most boring things to play. I should burst into flames when I admit I feel almost the same way about I Am A Child of God (and I AM Mormon!).

I don't know. As a pianist, accompanying Silent Night is one of the most boring things to play. I should burst into flames when I admit I feel almost the same way about I Am A Child of God (and I AM Mormon!).

Against my controlling nature, I stay out of the song selections and the piano teacher's hair all year. Until Christmas. When playing Silent Night is not something that's up for negotiation :D

I still have memories of childhood Christmases with my two Grandmothers singing Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht in their best ancestral German. 

Bill (who's beginning to feel compelled to check out I Am A Child of God)

Against my controlling nature, I stay out of the song selections and the piano teacher's hair all year. Until Christmas. When playing Silent Night is not something that's up for negotiation :D

I still have memories of childhood Christmases with my two Grandmothers singing Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht in their best ancestral German. 

Bill (who's beginning to feel compelled to check out I Am A Child of God)

my dh would agree with you.  He served a mission in Austria (even though I'm the one with Austrian ancestry) - and Stille Nacht is scaro-sanct to him.  

Hope everything goes swimmingly for your son.  :)

Some of you may be surprised to hear we've gone Mormon (not the least of whom would be me, since it ain't so :D), but we will be heading to the Oak Park Ward Saturday night where William will be a small part of the Christmas program, playing a few holiday classics on piano.

After all these years of being entertained at the holidays by sounds of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, I figure this is a good way to get even reciprocate :p

Hopefully his playing doesn't shake anyone's faith in a kind and merciful God.

Bill

How did it go?

I am wondering too! I thought of Bill and his son today when I tuned in to the Christmas station, which fortunately was NOT playing Santa Baby this time!

Stille Nacht had a very special place in my heart as well, I taught our little co-op choir to sing it in German last year. Brings back memories of one particular Christmas Eve in Austria when I went with my siblings to play Christmas music at a local nursing home; we ended with Silent Night--and everyone joined in singing. It was one of the most tender moments of my life.

This morning I asked the boy if he was feeling at all nervous, I got back a confident "I got this Dad" sort of response. But as show time neared, the cracks in the armor started showing.

But if one was going to strategically pick an audience for ones premier performance, one couldn't do much better than an LDS audience. There's nice, and then there's Mormon nice.

He got even larger than deserved applause. And he felt beyond relieved. Me too :D

Bill

Some of you may be surprised to hear we've gone Mormon (not the least of whom would be me, since it ain't so :D),

Oh good heavens.  I'm pre-coffee, and I literally put my hand over my mouth, thinking WHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT?  And then I reread, just a little more closely.

I think I've had my jolt for the day, no caffeine required.

How exciting for your son; I am glad it was fun and lovely for all! I wouldn't have doubted that for a second.  :)