Menu

Voice Lessons question

heartosunshine

Cue the violins: :nopity:

When I was in early middle school, I was told after a chorus concert (where I had a solo!) that I couldn't sing well. It most likely was an offhand comment, perhaps not meant the way it sounded. I don't know but I was a moody middle schooler and that was the last year I took chorus. Since then, I've been very self-conscious about my voice but I love to sing. I sing all the time when I'm alone but rarely around others and not even in church.

I had this crazy idea recently to try voice lessons. I don't want to sing professionally, just not be embarrassed by my ability to sing, or lack thereof. Can people be taught to sing reasonably well or is it something they're born with?

I'm wondering who told you that. I don't think lessons would help if a person is tone deaf and can't tell whether they're hitting the right notes or not. I doubt that's the case for you. If your teacher didn't think you could sing, you wouldn't have been chosen to sing a solo. I say put middle school out of mind and go for it.

My son has been taking voice for a year and a half.  I've been to some voice recitals.  It's kind of like going to a piano recital.  Some people are beginners never bound for broadway.  Some people have been working at it for years and are amazing.  Anyone who pigeon holes a kid in junior high is a jerk.  I remember hearing some awful hurtful words during those years.

So I have been attending my son's voice lessons for a year and a half as a note taker.  I have learned a TON.  My singing voice is so much better too!  So totally go for it.  It's funny - my ear has changed too.  Singers I would have thought amazing a couple years ago are sounding untrained to me.  It's pretty interesting.

My son's teacher also said a lot of students don't practice, don't know music theory or read music at all, and think they're going to be on American Idol or something.   He actually only takes classical and/or musical theater singers now.  My son has taken piano for 8 years, so the teacher absolutely loves him. 

Thanks for the encouragement!

The person who made the comment was not a teacher or anyone who had any voice instruction themselves.

If you were selected for a solo, I'm sure you had a good voice for your chorus!  Even girls voices can be in flux in junior high as well with big growth.  My son was a treble when he started voice and now he's a baritone and possibly still shifting.  He was actually lower a few months ago.  It's been a crazy ride for him.  I'm sure he wouldn't be singing at all right now and getting cast in musical theater without his voice teacher helping him out.