Menu

Family reunion question

Ellie

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should I invited the adopted, second-marriage children to the family reunion and add them to the reunion FB page?

• Yes
    • No
    • Ask my cousin what he thinks I should do.

So, I'm on the committee (by which I mean I'm one of two people) which is planning a family reunion for next July.

I just got the addresses for a cousin's children. My cousin is 10 years older than I (his mother and my grandmother were sisters); he had three children with his first wife, then divorced. I think I only met those children once, because my cousin was in the Coast Guard and he was stationed far away. His second wife had two children from her first marriage, whom he adopted. They had no children together; they've been married since around 1972. I don't know if his adopted children lived with them, if they have a good relationship, nothin'.

So here's the question: should I send the adopted, second-marriage children invitations to the reunion, and add them to the family FB page?

So, I'm on the committee (by which I mean I'm one of two people) which is planning a family reunion for next July.

I just got the addresses for a cousin's children. My cousin is 10 years older than I (his mother and my grandmother were sisters); he had three children with his first wife, then divorced. I think I only met those children once, because my cousin was in the Coast Guard and he was stationed far away. His second wife had two children from her first marriage, whom he adopted. They had no children together; they've been married since around 1972. I don't know if his adopted children lived with them, if they have a good relationship, nothin'.

So here's the question: should I send the adopted, second-marriage children invitations to the reunion, and add them to the family FB page?

They're his children and part of the family so of course you should invite them. Someone's supplied you with the addresses in order to invite them so that should probably answer the question for you right there.

If he adopted the children, then why wouldn't they have lived with him and their mother? The biological father would have had to terminate his rights, unless he's deceased, for the second husband to adopt them.

If they were his biological children, would you be asking?  Are you leaving out any other children?  If all relatives children are invited, it would be odd to leave these out.

Adoption means they are his children.  (Stepparent adoption is no different from adoption by a couple that is unrelated to a child, it is as legal, and has the same ramifications - a new family is created.)

Good luck with the reunion planning, and I hope it's a success!

I think you should invite them, but since it sounds like they don't have any previous sense of connection with this part of their family and are all grown up, I think I'd ask your cousin, just in a, "We'd love to include them but wanted to make sure they want to be included," sort of way.