Menu

COMPLETE Curriculum from Kindle Unlimited only??

Hunter

The biggest problem I can see is that it may or may not stay available. That's the case with the Amazon instant video, anyway. I'm putting together playlists for a music education lab class I'm teaching next semester using Amazon Music, and I've seen a couple of things show up as free on Prime Music, but then, a few days later, prompt me to purchase using one-click, so that seems to be the same thing.

• Like 4

:)  Okay.  You could probably craft something, I am sure, it just would take many hours. 

There is more than I thought, there. The trick is to find it. I'm playing with different search features. There must be some certain search phrases or methods that could be used to find whatever is there at the time.  

Also, the link you had up there was just kindle books, not Kindle unlimited. It doesn't seem there is a good way to search genres with just the unlimited books, not that I can find as I was just looking today. It has still been well worth the $10 a month as inevitably there at least a few books a month I find that we read.

• Like 1

Also, the link you had up there was just kindle books, not Kindle unlimited. It doesn't seem there is a good way to search genres with just the unlimited books, not that I can find as I was just looking today. It has still been well worth the $10 a month as inevitably there at least a few books a month I find that we read.

I just rechecked all the links. On my computer, the links are all lists of unlimited books, or a book with the regular price and a link to subscribe to unlimited so it will be free.

Once you do a search to narrow things down a bit, there is usually a box you can check on the left, pretty far down, that will filter to only unlimited books. It's not always there, but almost always is, especially if I clicked my way down from Kindle ebooks, instead of starting with a keyword search.

• Like 1

:001_tt2:

Oooh, that's a good question! You mean the nonpubic domain ones, right?

I don't know. I like all things free. Especially those that don't take up space. I have over 100 free books on my kindle. I also send articles to it so I can read things I discover through the hive or hubby's FB at my leisure instead of at the computer.

• Like 1

I don't know. I like all things free. Especially those that don't take up space. I have over 100 free books on my kindle. I also send articles to it so I can read things I discover through the hive or hubby's FB at my leisure instead of at the computer.

Okay, yes, there are a lot of free free books that don't require a subscription. I have a lot of those. If you "buy" those free books, you can often buy a professionally narrrated audio book at a steeply discounted price that matches it.

Not too long ago many of the KIndle apps have been undated to immersion reading and you can read and listen just like on a KIndle Fire.

• Like 1

I just rechecked all the links. On my computer, the links are all lists of unlimited books, or a book with the regular price and a link to subscribe to unlimited so it will be free.

Once you do a search to narrow things down a bit, there is usually a box you can check on the left, pretty far down, that will filter to only unlimited books. It's not always there, but almost always is, especially if I clicked my way down from Kindle ebooks, instead of starting with a keyword search.

Hmm, when I looked it wasn't showing up that they were unlimited but now on the new link they do, Amazon can be wonky sometimes.

• Like 1

Cool!!! :)

Hmm, when I looked it wasn't showing up that they were unlimited but now on the new link they do, Amazon can be wonky sometimes.

Why yes it can...   :lol:

• Like 1

Homeschooling has never been easier or cheaper with the advent of all this stuff online! I only just discovered KindleUnlimited yesterday (before reading this thread). There are many titles available that are on popular curriculum booklists. :)

Hunter, I have read many of your posts with interest. Thank you for so many good ideas!

• Like 1

I'm using Mastering Essential Math Skills for my fourth grade daughter through Kindle Unlimited. It's great!

Thank you! I did not know that series was in Kindle! I have 2 of the books in pdf and really like them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A133140011%2Cp_27%3ARichard+Fisher&sort=relevancerank&ie=UTF8&qid=1417528350

For some people whether it's through unlimited or purchasing the Kindle books, this is a much better option that pdfs.

Homeschooling has never been easier or cheaper with the advent of all this stuff online! I only just discovered KindleUnlimited yesterday (before reading this thread). There are many titles available that are on popular curriculum booklists. :)

Hunter, I have read many of your posts with interest. Thank you for so many good ideas!

Collen, You ladies are the ones with the great ideas. I just ask spazzy questions and then you all come up with the solutions. :grouphug: And somehow I get the credit.   :D

• 1 year later...

With Google books and possibly Overdrive, yes.

Edit: Kindle freebies, of course.

"For those of you that participated in the Desert Island, Underground Bunker, Footlocker, and 3 Books a Year challenges, do you think this one is harder or easier?"

This is easier than the other challenges and I actually *did* the footlocker irl.

PS We now live in a bunker, but it's above ground.

Edited by Desert Strawberry
  • Like 1

There is a whole series for history and geography for  younger kids (I have only looked at some):

If you were me ____________ : https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node%3D9578129011&field-keywords=if+you+were

The Brian Cleary grammar books are included in kindle unlimited.

As are the "If you were a ___" by M. Dahl.

Here is one: https://smile.amazon.com/If-You-Were-Noun-Word-ebook/dp/B00ESEEE74/ref=sr_1_16?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1468810580&sr=1-16&keywords=if+you+were

I'll be using those this year.

Here are some picture books, which work well on a fire (I know a lot of people may have gotten one on prime day for $33): 

https://smile.amazon.com/Ralph-Tells-Story-Abby-Hanlon-ebook/dp/B007TX6HO4/ref=pd_sim_351_14?ie=UTF8&dpID=516khvKX0yL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_UX300_PJku-sticker-v3%2CTopRight%2C0%2C-44_OU01_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=YFBS1GX8R4GSTVRQPDRS#navbar

Many of the Demi books are included (Columbus, etc.).

For USA geography for younger kids, there is a series called Discover America state by state (like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00ARB8NWY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=958EVL6U5OJ5&coliid=I1CHM6XGBMGUDZ#navbar).They are alphabet books for each state.

There is this series for grade 1-4 of math and science topics: 

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=Math+Explorer+Junior

Several of these are on my to try list this year.

• Like 2

There is this series for grade 1-4 of math and science topics: 

https://smile.amazon...Explorer Junior

That looks super neat!   I've also added to the list the Children's biographies mentioned above.  

I have one series to add, although I can't say how good it is.   But, it looks really good.  The series is "If you were me and lived ..."    For example the first one, "If You Were Me and Lived in...Ancient China: The Han Dynasty"   

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=%22If+you+were+me%22&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3A%22If+you+were+me%22

Those look like they might go really well with Sonlight Core A.  

There are also three books available in a series called, "In Depth Science".  On mountains, diamonds, and Plate Techtonics.  

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=%22In+Depth+Science%22&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3A%22In+Depth+Science%22

I am making a list of books available.    So far I've half-read a kid's book about Vikings.  I stopped when it said something like, "Vikings didn't like to use zippers.  Instead they used thongs and broaches"   The underline is mine.    That was where I stopped.  I've completely read a book on the 12 best Chicken breeds for backyard flocks.  That was great.   I haven't started yet because I have to finish some books I've checked out from a distant library, but I am all tingly about the Stephen King series on Kindle.   A guy at work, John Ginegaw, wrote two books available on Kindle Unlimited, so I'll read those.   

The Amazon search is soooo annoying.   Why can't I search for "Science" then filter by something like "Nonfiction" and in English?  But nooooo,

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Like 1

Ooooh, look at this

https://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393193&linkCode=shr&tag=tictin-20&linkId=7D7Q4J72TAUSZ5M4&rl=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=statebasics&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3Astatebasics

or search for "statebasics" in the kindle category.   A 24-page book on each state.  Haven't read them yet.   

When I was a kid I had a book on each of the two states we lived in.   About the size of a magazine and in the Usbourne format.   As a kid, I thought they were really neat.   I had an idea of doing a year focusing on a state a week, reading one of those books (if I could find the series), maybe making some food famous in that state.  That is a lot of books, though, and even at say $5/piece the price would add up.  So, I'm looking for Kindle Unlimited versions.  

I got the paperwhite because I like e-ink and think it is easy on the eyes.   Starting to think I should have gotten a Fire, though for color.  

• Like 1

Ooooh, look at this

https://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393193&linkCode=shr&tag=tictin-20&linkId=7D7Q4J72TAUSZ5M4&rl=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=statebasics&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3Astatebasics

or search for "statebasics" in the kindle category.   A 24-page book on each state.  Haven't read them yet.   

When I was a kid I had a book on each of the two states we lived in.   About the size of a magazine and in the Usbourne format.   As a kid, I thought they were really neat.   I had an idea of doing a year focusing on a state a week, reading one of those books (if I could find the series), maybe making some food famous in that state.  That is a lot of books, though, and even at say $5/piece the price would add up.  So, I'm looking for Kindle Unlimited versions.  

I got the paperwhite because I like e-ink and think it is easy on the eyes.   Starting to think I should have gotten a Fire, though for color.  

I'm doing US geography this year and using picture books. It does add up fast, but there are several kindle unlimited series (I linked in my other post). We are doing 2 states a week and some states it is hard to find any books set there. California was easy, Delaware not so much.

I have Alabama to Indiana list of books done, but still working on the other states. There is a series of chapter books called "wright on time" that is about homeschooled kids traveling to different states (not free though) that I plan to try .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking advantage of a free month, this month. I need something better to read than the romance novel about the blue ice barbarian with horns. Which is hysterically funny by the way. :lol:

There are some great new links, here. Thanks!

• Like 1

I've been super busy moving, and talking some online classes on novel writing, and attending concerts and workshops and just all sorts of stuff.

I should be busy today, but I don't know. I'm leaving everything that needs to be done not done, and wasting the day being bored and hanging out in a very disorganized way with no agenda other than paying attention to what is shiniest.

It is not like me to be bored when I have a ton of stuff to do.

I'm probably just tired, but don't remember how to slow down.

Great links, though. Thanks!

ooooh, and it isn't just Kindle Unlimited. 

Look at this.  A free prealgebra book.  

https://www.free-ebooks.net/ebook/Fundamentals-of-Mathematics

A Calculus based Physics book.
https://www.free-ebooks.net/ebook/Calculus-Based-Physics

Free books!    I really am all tingly.  I'm downloading these because I have a feeling when my 6-year-old is ready for them, they won't be free anymore.  That website has other textbooks.   Free!   Did I mention Free!  

I don't remember seeing all these free e-books when I had a Nook a couple of years ago and broke the screen with my elbow.  

Other comment on that site.  Gotta love a site that has "Bathroom reading" as a category.  

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried this?  

https://www.amazon.com/Reinventing-Liberal-Arts-College-Year-ebook/dp/B00OHZYWL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1477934130&sr=1-1&keywords=Tuck+Newport&refinements=p_n_feature_nineteen_browse-bin%3A9045887011

The title is "Reinventing the Liberal Arts: College in One Year for $5"

Seems like it might be handy for high school for those wanting the broad and deep education that high school should provide but doesn't seem to.