Menu

Need help making black beans and corn tortillas---Central American style

Ottakee

We are hosting boys from Central America again and I want to try to make some black beans and corn tortillas here at home.

I need simple tips and ideas.

Can I do the black beans in the crock pot?  EASY is best for me :-)  Can I make the corn tortillas without a tortilla press?

You can make corn tortillas without a press by slapping them between your hands, but it takes some practice (and some time, until you get really good at it).  You might want to make sopes instead. You just pat the masa into a thick round in your hand and cook them. If you can find fresh masa at a Latino grocery that would be best, but masa harina works too.  Tortilla presses often aren't terribly expensive so you might look into that too.

Yes, you can do black beans in the crockpot.  Try this recipe and either leave them whole or mash them.

We have a Victoria tortilla press that we LOVE!   It's on Amazon and the model # is VICTORIA-85008, and the price is $29.72.  Def. a great investment here.  Chopped up cilantro and squeezed lime can make the humblest taco so yummy.  You can cook the black beans and freeze them until needed. I don't follow a recipe for the taco filling so am no help there.

THanks.  Do you add the lime and cilantro to the masa when making the tortillas or add that afterwards?  Remember 101 here :-)

I have black beans cooking in the crockpot right now for eating tomorrow.  I will have more time tomorrow so I will try the tortillas.  I saw a recipe for the sopes but that looks like you need to deep fry them, etc. which is more steps and more mess---is the taste worth it though?

I don't bother deep frying sopes. I just cook them on a griddle. They are tougher, obviously, since they're thicker. You can think of them as hearty. :) If you have any sort of Latino grocery, you can probably just buyacceptable corn tortillas.

I always squeeze some lime and add cilantro and minced white onion to my tacos.

THanks.  Tonight I had one that ate 2 manwich sandwiches and the other that ate rice and tortilla chips and salsa.  One is much more adventurous in life and in food while the other is much more reserved and unsure about things.  He though did ask for juice and I understood him :-)  progress

I would think someone coming from a different country would want to try out foods from the country they are visiting over having someone trying to imitate foods from the country they are from. I would be very unthrilled if I went all the way to, let's say, China, and got stuck eating pizza and burgers.

I would think someone coming from a different country would want to try out foods from the country they are visiting over having someone trying to imitate foods from the country they are from. I would be very unthrilled if I went all the way to, let's say, China, and got stuck eating pizza and burgers.

There's also something to be said for comfort foods, especially for young people.  I think preparing familiar foods is a very thoughtful and welcoming gesture on OP's part.  In addition, tortillas and beans are really a staple part of the diet for many if not most people in Central America, something that is eaten every single day, often multiple times. I don't really think there is an American equivalent.  

Ottakee, where I came from (Honduras) we ate red beans (sometimes grocery store have them packaged as red turtle beans).  They are hard to find in my part of the US.  If you have the boys for awhile, you might try red beans for them.  It would also be fun to ask them to teach you to cook their food, if they can.  :-)

Thank you for loving them!

My sons would be very unthrilled to go to any other country and never get to eat anything familiar. They like Mexican food and almost never get American food right now but that doesn't mean they don't miss it while they're living here. I know plenty of adults who miss familiar foods while they're living in other countries (or who have trouble getting used to the local food).

If the OP can make these children feel more welcome by a gesture as simple as making black beans and tortillas, then it's obviously a great idea.

I love doing things from scratch, at least once, but the times I tried to hand-pat tortillas proved to be deeply humbling experiences for me.

It gave me a whole different level of appreciation for the ladies who could make it seem so effortless. I'm afraid this is becoming a dying art.

Like Lavender Girl, I've got a Victoria press.

Bill

The black beans are done and I am going to attempt the corn tortillas for supper.

These are younger boys who are very scared and unsure of being here, not highschool exchange students.

You can just roll them into little balls and flatten them between two large ziplock bags with a rolling pin or a smack of a cast iron pan. I am sure the children will be thrilled with whatever you turn out. :)

That's sweet of you to do that!  I think a mix of what they are used to and something new is great!  My SIL is Central American, and he does indeed eat black beans nearly every day.  The corn tortillas are good too, or sometimes he'll toast some french bread to have with the beans.  Usually he'll have rice with it.  Fresh-squeezed lime juice, salsa, and avocado are all things he adds.  Sometimes a chopped tomato.  Often he'll make some scrambled eggs on the side too.

At least in the country he is from, he doesn't actually make a taco type dish out of it.  The beans and rice are the main meal (sometimes mixed with scrambled eggs), with the extras added on top, and then tortillas or French bread on the side.

This is making me hungry!  :)

We host exchange students from all over the world, and they are always delighted when we try to make different foods from their culture. :) It's a great way to bond, and we usually learn something new. There's also something to be said for having a familiar meal in the middle of all of the new flavors and experiences. We had a girl from China burst into happy tears when we made her Chinese food. :)

Cat

Super was a huge hit tonight. 

We need a tortilla press but the corn tortillas went over very well.  I think they each had 4 or 5.  I had made a huge crock pot of beans so they had those.  Then for my family I mix black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and a packet of taco seasoning mix.  One liked that and the other one chose just plain beans.  Then I had bowls of lettuce, onions, cheese, sour cream and salsa out  and then cilantro and limes to squeeze. 

Both of them had 3rds.

My family enjoyed it as well.

Super was a huge hit tonight. 

We need a tortilla press but the corn tortillas went over very well.  I think they each had 4 or 5.  I had made a huge crock pot of beans so they had those.  Then for my family I mix black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and a packet of taco seasoning mix.  One liked that and the other one chose just plain beans.  Then I had bowls of lettuce, onions, cheese, sour cream and salsa out  and then cilantro and limes to squeeze. 

Both of them had 3rds.

My family enjoyed it as well.

Good for you!  What a nice thing for you to do and the boys must feel so welcome. :)

I love doing things from scratch, at least once, but the times I tried to hand-pat tortillas proved to be deeply humbling experiences for me.

It gave me a whole different level of appreciation for the ladies who could make it seem so effortless. I'm afraid this is becoming a dying art.

Like Lavender Girl, I've got a Victoria press.

Bill

Even more difficult are those rice paper wraps. 

The tortilla press came today so we had more tortillas for supper tonight.  The press makes it MUCH easier.  MUCH MUCH easier :-)

I made a double batch and that still wasn't enough so I ended up making 8 more.  Our guest boys loved them.  They are doing a balance of American food and familiar Central American food.  They are picking up English quickly and learning several phrases and answers, colors, letters, etc.