Menu

Snap circuits - is there a point to more than one set?

craftymama

Last year oldest got the Snap Circuits 300 set.  This year Santa is being asked for more circuits.  Is there any benefit to getting another set?  If so, which one?  Or is there some kind of other set to go along with what he has?  With our shipping issues I really need to get everything ordered now.  Please help.

We have the basic set and then we got the Lights set last year which the kids really like.  I'm not sure they really combine the kits too much but they are both often out and my 9 year old is getting creative with them and making his own stuff so I do think he uses pieces from both sets.  He's asked for the motion set or the green set this year, not sure we're going to get it but it's on his list.

One of the most-used toys (both sets) around our house.

For single child play, you can buy an upgrade kit  - SC300 to SC400, 500, or 750.  For multiple children, I’d get a larger base set rather than upgrading.  The upgrade kits do not include base plates.  For simultaneous play, each child needs his own base plate.

There are a number of specialty kits that include pieces not in the base sets.  These include light, sound, remote control rover, green energy, and others.

My children have four or five sets and another has been requested for this Christmas.  They really like the light set they got last year.  This year they want the sound set.

We bought the 750 set and the car.  The car isn't really worth the new price (I found it used), but it was a fun extension of the set. 

Can you tell me more about the car/rover?  My son saw it(the version that also shoots discs) and would love it, it's the only thing he's asked for from Santa.  We can afford it...how is the replay value?

Can you tell me more about the car/rover? My son saw it(the version that also shoots discs) and would love it, it's the only thing he's asked for from Santa. We can afford it...how is the replay value?

Check Amazon daily deals, I think the car is coming up. The one I wanted sold out before I saw the ads.

We had the rover years ago and it didn't get much play after it was assembled the first time.  I like the more open ended set like our 750 one, because it is more versatile and has lasting play value IME.  Totally depends on the kid I'm sure, however.

That's what I was thinking would be the case based on reading the descriptions, but I'm so torn. It's the only thing he really, really wants and it's not going to hurt us to get that.  I hate to use Christmas to give him only things I think he should get....but still....$70 for a 5 year old on one toy. 

All well, it's only once a year.

Does the 750 set have enough bases for 3 boys to play together?

No. It still has just one base, and only one of most of the pieces, although it has many connecting bars.

If I were buying for three boys to play together, I'd get the 750 with the instructional guides for teaching the principles behind the SC later on, and I'd get two of the Junior sets so we'd have duplicates of the boards and most basic elements. Then they could build many things and trade the fancier elements back and forth. I'd also get three battery replacer thingies because the sets do tend to suck up batteries, especially once you get to the things that require two sets of batteries (four batteries), although you don't need two battery replaces per set, just one; in the spot where the second battery set would go, you just put a three-bar.

No. It still has just one base, and only one of most of the pieces, although it has many connecting bars.

If I were buying for three boys to play together, I'd get the 750 with the instructional guides for teaching the principles behind the SC later on, and I'd get two of the Junior sets so we'd have duplicates of the boards and most basic elements. Then they could build many things and trade the fancier elements back and forth. I'd also get three battery replacer thingies because the sets do tend to suck up batteries, especially once you get to the things that require two sets of batteries (four batteries), although you don't need two battery replaces per set, just one; in the spot where the second battery set would go, you just put a three-bar.

Thank you! This helps so much!