Menu

What is up with the price of razor blades???

Seasider

I hoped this would be something temporary and that prices would come back down, but the cost of razor blades is just ridiculous. Is metal in short supply? Have they been over-engineered? I just don't get it. But I do know that I like neither the option of paying the price nor the consequences of not buying them at all!

I keep seeing "Dollar Shave Club" come up in my fb feed. Have any of you tried it as a source for inexpensive (but not terribly made) razors? Where else are you buying razors?

I think it is because that is what the market allows. It makes no sense to me and dread I when my boys start shaving. DH has worn a beard since college, so he just needs an occasional trimming. He swears he does it in part from laziness and in part due to cheapness, lol.

In my local supermarkets the razors all have those anti-theft devices on them. It is the only thing like that in the whole store! Pretty soon they will be behind the counter.

I think it is because that is what the market allows. It makes no sense to me and dread I when my boys start shaving. DH has worn a beard since college, so he just needs an occasional trimming. He swears he does it in part from laziness and in part due to cheapness, lol.

In my local supermarkets the razors all have those anti-theft devices on them. It is the only thing like that in the whole store! Pretty soon they will be behind the counter.

I agree and am also put out by the anti theft devices. I bet the stupid amount of packaging is what drives up the cost, for the most part. I would not mind purchasing them from a pharmacy counter if it meant that they were wrapped in simple cardboard and the prices adjusted back down to reasonable.

When you have 5 folks in the house using razors on a regular basis, that's a chunk of change! A couple have resorted to electric razors but those don't work well for everyone/every need.

My husband got fed up with expensive razors and started using old fashioned safety razors. After the initial expense of buying the razor and brush, he is sooo happy because the blades are super-duper cheap. I have even started using it on my legs. I love it because for the fist time ever, I have a close shave AND no razor burn.

We get replaceable cartridges from amazon for Gilette ProGlide for my one son. He can use one cartridge for a while.

My DH uses an electric, and we buy replacements heads from amazon, too. DH can get a 5 o clock shadow by noon. He is the hairiest fair haired man I've ever known. :lol: we'd go broke buying other razors.

My husband got fed up with expensive razors and started using old fashioned safety razors. After the initial expense of buying the razor and brush, he is sooo happy because the blades are super-duper cheap. I have even started using it on my legs. I love it because for the fist time ever, I have a close shave AND no razor burn.

This!  Safety razor blades are incredibly inexpensive and give an excellent shave.  Even the "expensive" blades are less than $1 each.  The upfront cost was about $75 but DH has had the same razor handle for 8 years and it won't need to be replaced for a long while.  

I will have to look into safety razors but my initial reaction is fear that if accidentally nursery myself!

More research needed...

There are lots of different types of blades, some easier to get cut with than others. My husband started out with one type that a few friends told him was great. He has very thick, coarse hair. The kind that most people say will slice will before you know what has happened (Feathers, in case you are wondering) are the ones that work best for him.

Ugh........... two of mine use blades. Dh refuses to try the safety blade contraption. His current blades average $4/blade when they used to be about $2.50/blade. He changes the blade weekly. He does shave every day. He says what he currently uses works, and he doesn't care how much it costs. And then he points out how much less his overall toiletries are compared to mine..... It's the only regular toiletry item that has really gone up much so I guess it could be worse.

They stopped making dh's favorite razor so I was looking at those shave clubs but I found out that Dollar Shave club sells these razors

http://www.dorcousa.com/

So I just ordered some directly from the company. Dh likes them.

Yup. Another vote for Dorco. They even have coupon codes online if you Google it. Cheap and amazing blades.

I agree and am also put out by the anti theft devices. I bet the stupid amount of packaging is what drives up the cost, for the most part. I would not mind purchasing them from a pharmacy counter if it meant that they were wrapped in simple cardboard and the prices adjusted back down to reasonable.

When you have 5 folks in the house using razors on a regular basis, that's a chunk of change! A couple have resorted to electric razors but those don't work well for everyone/every need.

When I found them behind the counter at the local Safeway is when I decided to go old school. I bought a 1950s vintage safety razor. Double edge platinum blades are about $5 for 10.