Menu

Need easy, yummy, but inexpensive cold side dish to bring to potluck.

HappyGrace

It has to be a cold dish because we are going to church first and then a two-hour drive and eating as soon as we get there, so I can't keep a hot dish warm that long, and won't have time to heat it up when we get there.

Also needs to be easy and inexpensive, and able to be made the day before.

I thought of pasta salad, but by the time you add cheese and pepperoni and roasted red peppers and all that, it gets $$.

It doesn't have to go with any particular meat or whatever-not sure what they're serving.

Pasta Salad: Pasta, Italian dressing, frozen thawed corn, and a can of drained diced tomatoes.

Couscous Salad: cooked couscous, cucumber, tomatoes, feta cheese, balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, and olive oil. Or use a vinaigrette dressing you like.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Potato Salad: However you like best

Dessert : cookies, brownies, cake

Jello/Fruit salad

Bean Dip with crackers or hearty bread

My go to potluck dish is yellow rice with black beans and salsa. While I do have a homemade recipe for the yellow rice, I usually just buy the Mahatma yellow rice, which is really cheap and use canned beans, rinsed of course. I make the salsa - more like a pico de gallo I guess with tomatoes, red onion, red pepper, garlic, cilantro, a bit of oil and lime, some cumin, red pepper and salt. You put it in a dish with the rice all on the sides sort of hallowed out, then the beans, also hollowed out to make a sort of second layer, and the fresh salsa in the center. If you keep bottled lime and cilantro and the spices on hand, I think it's pretty cheap as a dish. It's always a hit. It's good when the rice is hot, but usually I serve it cold. It works as a side or a main because of the black beans. I do usually top it with tiny slices of avocado fanning out from the center, but buying two avocados adds a lot to the cost...

black bean salad (cowboy caviar)

2-3 cans of black beans, drained

1-2 cans of corn, drained

1 avocado, diced

1 red onion chopped (or Red pepper)

1 bunch of cilantro

1 8 oz bottle of italian dressing or make a simple dressing of lime juice, cayanne pepper and olive oil.

Mix, chill and serve. You can serve as a salad or bring chips to serve as a dip.

My go to potluck dish is yellow rice with black beans and salsa. While I do have a homemade recipe for the yellow rice, I usually just buy the Mahatma yellow rice, which is really cheap and use canned beans, rinsed of course. I make the salsa - more like a pico de gallo I guess with tomatoes, red onion, red pepper, garlic, cilantro, a bit of oil and lime, some cumin, red pepper and salt. You put it in a dish with the rice all on the sides sort of hallowed out, then the beans, also hollowed out to make a sort of second layer, and the fresh salsa in the center. If you keep bottled lime and cilantro and the spices on hand, I think it's pretty cheap as a dish. It's always a hit. It's good when the rice is hot, but usually I serve it cold. It works as a side or a main because of the black beans. I do usually top it with tiny slices of avocado fanning out from the center, but buying two avocados adds a lot to the cost...

This sounds sooo good....potluck at my house?  ;)  I'll provide the hungry people.

Cucumber salad? Just mix finely sliced cukes (maybe, say, 4) with about a quarter cup of mayo and a quarter cup of sour cream, and add a very thinly sliced onion.

If that's too cheap, I'd go with potato salad. I make mine with vinegar and oil and a bit of onion, and black pepper.

How about cabbage salad?

A head of cabbage, shredded.

A bunch of green onions, chopped.

A few carrots, shredded.

A package of chicken ramen noodles, uncooked and crushed.

(Sprinkle the packet of seasoning atop the final mixture.)

Toast 1/2-3/4 cups of almonds, slivered.  Or buy toasted.

Maybe also toast 1/4-1/2 cup of sesame seeds w/ the almonds. Or buy toasted.

Mix it all together and there you go.

You can top it with a standard vinaigrette.

But the one most common for this recipe mixes oil, vinegar, sugar and pepper.

I'd hold off on the dressing until arriving at the potluck.

I can't link for some reason or I'd help you out there.

If you google any of these, you'll find a version:

Chinese cabbage salad, fumi salad, Asian coleslaw

It's always a hit.

But people always say that, don't they? :D

When I'm pressed for time I use all pre-packaged ingredients -

(including pre-shredded cabbage and green onions).

And still it costs me under $10 for a sizeable bowl.

Asian slaw

Ramen Oriental noodles 2 packs

Broccoli slaw 2 bags ( in the produce section )

Sliced almonds about 2-4 oz?

Sunflower seeds about 6oz?

Break up ramen noodles in package, set aside flavor packet for dressing, cook as directed, drain, let cool,

Empty broccoli slaw bags into serving bowl, add cooled Ramen noodles,

Add almonds and sunflower seeds

Right before serving add dressing, it will need to be mixed very well.

1/2 C olive oil

1/2 C canola/vegetable oil

1/2 C sugar

1/2 C Balsamic vinegar

Oriental flavor packets for each package of noodles used.

Every time I serve this at a carry in I get requests for the recipe. It is very, very forgiving. I usually double the noodles and broccoli slaw but only use 3/4 C of oils and vinegar. I keep sugar at 1/2 C or less.

We do tuna pasta salad.

Pasta shells or rotini

1-2 cans of tuna

onion or green onions

celery (optional)

mayo

frozen green peas

salt and pepper

start by making the tuna salad…with the onions, celery, and mayo

Then add in the pasta and frozen peas (which will thaw themselves)

add in some more mayo and salt and pepper to taste

You can also add in shredded carrots for color.

What about deviled eggs? Just buy two dozen eggs, add in some mayo, yellow mustard, salt and pepper, refill the eggs.

I like "Apple Slaw"

1 pkg shredded cabbage (or "self-shredded" small head of cabbage)

2 apples (I like to use reddish apples cause it looks pretty :) )

2/3 C mayo

2/3 C brown sugar

Cut apples into small pieces (I leave the peel on) and mix everything together. You can also add shredded carrots, raisins, and/or chopped celery, or whatever else you might have on hand.

ETA: this can get a little watery after a while but is easy enough to drain off some of the excess liquid.

A more finger food

Taco Roll ups

Mix:

1 package cream cheese (regular or 1/3 less fat)

1 packet taco seasoning mix

1 can refried beans

Spread that on warmed up flour tortillas.  Sprinkle with finely shredded cheese and roll up.  Chill and then slice into 1 inch rounds for bite size snacks or cut into 1/3 for a larger serving size.  Can serve with salsa but they usually disappear without it as well.  Kids/teens seem to really love these.

These ALL sound great, thanks! I will have to try some of the other ones personally soon :)  But I decided to go with coleslaw.

None of these people like mayo, so I'll make my other version-where you boil veg oil, white vinegar and sugar, cool it just slightly, and pour that over the cabbage. Then let it sit overnight in the fridge. Yum! And prbly even cheaper than the mayo kind!