Menu

Let's discuss this letter from the BOE :)

*lifeoftheparty*

I don't know what state you are in, but in my state the homeschoolers would be all over the letter about an optional meeting.  Very few school administrators seem to even know or understand the homeschool laws, so what information could they possibly be giving new homeschoolers?  We are seeing plenty of overreaching in my state this year, and I'd be worried about school officials, in their so helpful meetings, telling homeschoolers all kinds of things they are "required" to do that are not really part of the law.  I also have to wonder why, if they are so backlogged with notifications, they have the time to put on a meeting. 

It doesn't bother me at all and I did homeschool in Maryland.  They are clearly swamped with new homeschoolers so telling people to officially withdraw their kids is a good thing (since clearly the district is behind in getting this done).  The orientation meeting is odd, but I can see how it could be useful for new homeschoolers.  If they are going through the district, they are going to have to produce a portfolio every so often to prove they are teaching all the required subjects.  I've know people who totally freaked out the first time they were asked to go to a portfolio review and I was like, "Did you read the law?  It's in there."  Without fail, they had not.  Since the meeting is optional I see no problem with it.  Saying people should be teaching the seven subjects is not a problem at all because that's the law.  Saying they should have purchased curriculum is fine, too, IMO.  Sure some people don't purchase curriculum, but most do and it's a short bullet point.  They can't address every variation in a sentence.

Our district is overwhelmed with parents pulling kids out in a temper tantrum over common core and standardized testing. People assume if they pull kids out no testing is required but in actuality, there is a requirement for testing. The homeschool community is trying to help educate the new members but I can see a school district attempting to shed some light on requirements as well.

I feel like they haven't broken any rules or anything, but the optional meeting is so misleading for newbies. You know that people are going to go and ask questions about education and they're going to give their views as if they are law, which is very misleading. Ditto the review process. They'll tell them things that are not in COMAR as if they are required.

But the crazy flip side is that I've now met a number of Maryland parents who seem to WANT this attitude. People who have homeschooled for multiple years who think of their review as the way they get their feedback on whether or not they're doing a good job. They really, really want a pat on the head from the government. So... When people take that tact, I don't know that you can change their minds anyway.

Yes. This is what seems to be going on. I only recently, in the past few months, joined the Facebook page for "MD Homeschoolers" and so many of them seem to be confused on what the law states, verses what some reviewer has told them, or required of them. And yes, there are all these people who seem to view the public schools as still "in charge" of them and their kids- it's weird. One lady was asking if she should contact them because she was starting to homeschool for pre-k, but her kid wasn't 5 yet. And I was like, "No. Your child belongs to YOU, you don't have to inform the public schools about what you are doing with YOUR child. It's just weird. And I am starting to wonder if having all these new homeschoolers who are desperately seeking their approval is maybe making them think they have more control than they actually do.... and then I start to worry if I'm going down Conspiracy Theory Lane....

I don't think it's objectionable because this is a state that requires you to go to a meeting and produce your portfolio twice a year for their approval. Knowing what they want to see and in what format would be helpful to new parents. It would avoid them reaming on a parent because their samples aren't dated. OTOH, I find MD's requirements obnoxious and I would promptly enroll in an umbrella to avoid them. The review process sounds more intimidating than NY or PA's laws.

I think it's just because the law itself is so vague... it sounds like PA has a lot of hoops to jump through, but the law and expectations are clearly spelled out. I think- my sil homeschools in PA and it just seems that way, to me. Here, the law just states...

Maryland COMAR Requirements             Home schooling shall:

1. provide regular, thorough instruction in the studies usually taught in the public schools to children of the same age.
  2. include instruction in English (Language Arts/Reading), Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Art, Music, PE  and Health.
  3. occur on a regular basis during the school year and be of sufficient duration to implement the instructional program.

It doesn't mention needing dated samples, right? But then in this word document that they started sending out with the email to schedule reviews, the county says this:

To be judged in compliance, the portfolio must reflect the provision of regular, thorough instruction in the required subjects, throughout the school year by including dated, relevant materials such as instructional materials;

4. reading materials; and examples of the studentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s writings, worksheets, workbooks, creative materials, and assessments in each subject area.

(I don't know why that 4 is there)

So my reviewers have never asked why my samples weren't dated... but then I hear the lady next to me being asked, "Why aren't these samples dated?" So this person goes and tells all her friends and newbies that samples MUST be dated... the law doesn't specifically state that, but the county does- so what's right?

I don't see any issue with it at all. They are getting through the paperwork as best they can, they are hosting an option meeting that no one is required to attend. I see no issue at all. It don't see anything being 'pulled' of either the fast or slow variety.

I guess you can nitpick about the purchasing of curriculum, but that's not going to bother me. I just went to my local homeschool meeting and saw plenty of people asking each other if they had their materials purchased yet. No one seemed to get a case of the vapors, even when the other parent answered that they didn't need to buy anything this year. Whatevs

And as for all 7 subjects, is that a fact? Are there 7 subjects that homeschoolers are expected to cover in their plan? If so, again I don't see a big deal. If they have added a subject or if they are not all required then it should be pointed out to them that they have overstepped.

There are subjects I am required to cover and I can't just leave them off my yearly plan. I have to explain how I am addressing them. I have had the same exact report for the 'health and safety' requirement for 8 years and no one has taken exception to it.

Really, I have seen so, so much worse from school districts in the area. This seems plain old informational.

Yes, our sheet that they fill out for the review has all 7 listed, actually 8, there is also a line that says "World Langauge". Then there are spaces for the reviewer to write what we use for that, and spaces to "check" off "Reading Materials", "Worksheets", "Workbooks", "Assesments" and "Writing Samples" and then down at the end is a box that says "Evidence of regular, thorough instruction" and they can check "Yes" or "No".

At the very very bottom there is a line that says, "Overall Program" and they can check "Compliant" or "Deficient- Compliance must be demonstrated by __/__/__

One of my friends, went for her first ever review (Kindergarten) and her reviewer gave her a hard time becuase she wasn'y doing a "World Langauge".

Our CC director was given a hard time because her reviewer didn't want to count Writing with Ease and First Language Lessons as sufficient for English!! My friend questioned her decision, and went to the head guy (who sends out the letters) and he fixed it/counted it- but still. The nerve!

(Both of them have joined the same umbrella I have this summer)

Very very few people have a hard time with reviews. I know all of mine have been swift, and we always get "Compliant", but it just seems like luck of the draw type thing.

I don't know what state you are in, but in my state the homeschoolers would be all over the letter about an optional meeting.  Very few school administrators seem to even know or understand the homeschool laws, so what information could they possibly be giving new homeschoolers?  We are seeing plenty of overreaching in my state this year, and I'd be worried about school officials, in their so helpful meetings, telling homeschoolers all kinds of things they are "required" to do that are not really part of the law.  I also have to wonder why, if they are so backlogged with notifications, they have the time to put on a meeting. 

Yes. This! I think that's why the people who are upset over it are feeling that way- and why I kinda see what they are saying. I just didn't have any strong feelings about it because hey, I'm in an umbrella now, I don't care about what they do. But then I was like, well, wait a minute, I should care, because they are still the ones who have been charged with my oversight.... which is when I decided to take the matter to you guys ;)

So, I went and dug up a Word Document that they sent out in January. This was the first year that they sent it out. Usually, we get an email from them listing the dates and times available at several libraries for reviews, and you email them back with your preferred date/location. This year, they included this Word document. And I think it just confuses people, because they see these reccommendations and suggestions as requirements, then start treating it as law of the land... which just makes the boe expect it, you know? Then when a bad apple reviewer sees something different, she makes a stink- because she doesn't really know the law, just what she's used to seeing and expecting.

HOME SCHOOL REVIEWS with the {County} HOME SCHOOL OFFICE

Guidelines in the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR 13A.10.01)

Purpose:     To provide procedures for determining if a child who is participating in a home school program is receiving regular, thorough instruction during the school year in the curriculum subjects usually taught in the public schools to children 5 years old and under the age of 16 years old.

Maryland COMAR Requirements             Home schooling shall:

1. provide regular, thorough instruction in the studies usually taught in the public schools to children of the same age.
  2. include instruction in English (Language Arts/Reading), Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Art, Music, PE  and Health.
  3. occur on a regular basis during the school year and be of sufficient duration to implement the instructional program.

Portfolio / Program Reviews    

To be judged in compliance, the portfolio must reflect the provision of regular, thorough instruction in the required subjects,    

throughout the school year by including dated, relevant materials such as instructional materials; reading materials; and examples of the studentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s writings, worksheets, workbooks, creative materials, and assessments in each subject area.

General Recommendations or Suggestions  Documenting regular, thorough instruction of sufficient duration

• Give evidence of a regular schedule or planning book / log that records your instruction plan for the year.
  • Document weekly examples of instructional materials (curriculum, assessments, workbooks, student work, drills, computer printouts, physical educaton logs, music practice books, activities, etc.)
  • When the curriculum does not follow a prepared text or course, provide an outline of topics or content that was covered
  • Describe how instruction in each area is structured  (textbook, correspondence school, art lessons, participation in structured sports program each session, supplemental classes or tutorials, tutors, etc.)

Student Program Documentation Recommendations

• Adequate examples (1 sample per week) for each subject, throughout the period of instruction
  • Arrange materials by subject area using the review form as an guide (attached)
  • Each piece of student work/documentation should be identified and dated
  • Textbooks are not necessary if documentation of curriculum content is provided.
  • For Workbook series:  Alpha Omega Lifepaks (provide table of content, first and last workbook completed in each subject)
  • For Online Computer Curriculum:   Computers will not be used as part of the review process due to lack of WIFI

Print out course/subject table of contents and 2 or 3 lessons for each subject area, during the review time period

Additional student work could include assessments, student notes (notebook) and practice worksheets.

• For Correspondence School / Distance High School Courses:   

Provide documentation for the required 7 (seven) courses/ subjects, which may include not purchased through the Correspondence School or Distance Learning School.  Provide student work for each subject / course as prescribed above.

Documentation from the instructional resource being used.   (transcript / grade documentation)

REVIEW PROCESS:  A review takes approximately 20 minutes per child

• An appointment is scheduled, with the Home School Office, for a date, time and location from the schedule provided. 
  • A reviewer, from the Home School Office, will meet with you to conduct the review evaluation (consider it a parent conference) .  The purpose is to verify  that the home school information being provided for your child is meeting the requirements of receiving regular, thorough instruction during the school year, in the curriculum subjects usually taught in the public schools.
  • An Home School Program Review Form will be completed, documenting the curriculum being used;  plans;  schedule;  instructional materials; student work; computer support; activities and any part of the instructional program presented by parents during the review process.

PORTFOLIO GUIDELINES:   Process for reviews that do not meet the requirements according to MSDE COMAR Regulations.                 

Each subject area will be reviewed for clear evidence of instruction, as will the home school program accordingly.

• ACCEPTABLE / CLEAR EVIDENCE      Indicates that there is sufficient evidence of planning, as well as physical evidence of student work to show that regular, thorough instruction has taken place on a regular basis during the school year and is of sufficient duration to implement the home school program.
  • NEEDS BETTER EVIDENCE                 Indicates that there is sufficient evidence of instruction.  It is expected that weaknesses will be addressed during the next portfolio review.
  • UNACCEPTABLE REVIEW                   Indicates that there is no or very little evidence of instruction.   The subject area or portfolio does not comply with COMAR 13A.10.01D.  A portfolio receiving this rating must be revised and reviewed again within 30 days.

Home School Program Reviews

Review documentation:  information shared at home school reviews is to demonstrate regular, 

thorough  student instruction in the required subject areas.  Documentation presented to the reviewers will indicate a sampling of the home school curriculum materials used in instruction. 

Sampling of materials used to validate home school portfolios/program reviews have included:  journals, student workbooks, print outs of a few lessons from online/computer programs, subject binders, samplings of artwork, pictures of students participating in elective activities, assessments/tests, reading lists, physical education log and samplings of student work.

Language Arts:                  Reading Lists, Literature, Grammar, Writing samples, Book Reports, Journals,                             Spelling, Poetry, Vocabulary, Comprehension activities, Research

Mathematics:                    Computation exercises, Speed tests, Hands on manipulatives and activities,                                             Workbook drill and practice, geometry, pre-algebra exercises, calculator                                               activities, games

Science:                              Life science, physical science, earth & space science, chemistry, physics,                                                experiments or labs, research activities, hands on activities

Social Studies:                   United States history, world history, geography, map skills, research, bible                                             study

Physical Ed:                        (CREATE LOG)  recreational sports, swimming, dancing, gymnastics, karate,                                             physical workouts, general physical activities, horseback riding, skating, etc.

Music:                                 instrumental lessons (practice book), choir, choral lessons, singing                                                          lessons, general music instruction, music history, music appreciation &                                                  research,  drums, violins, guitar, piano, keyboarding, composers.

Art:                                         artwork samples, drawings, arts & crafts activities, art class, computer art,         

photography, models, art history, sketches, art history.

• Health:   Study unit:  nutrition, human body systems, health & safety, diseases/medical, family life education

Elective subjects (3):                          (Middle and high school)

Art, Music, PE, World Languages, Home Economics, Consumer Science,

Technology(Keyboarding, web design, language), Bible study/religion, Health, Graphic Design, Electronics, etc

RECOMMENDED SUPPORT MATERIALS:

• schedule (monthly, weekly, daily) or plan book used to document events
  • computer usage (tool for supportive technology)
  • library or media (internet media, research, literature, program materials)

Note:   The above information is provided to give parents a sampling of the different means of documenting the home school program for the Home School Office Home School Program Reviews  (conducted twice yearly.)

So, it seems that they do clearly state that these are "reccomendations" and "Suggestions" but people (who have the "public schools are in charge of me" mindset) are treating them like requirements, and others (who have the "mind your own business" mindset) are only giving them the bare minimum that the law actually requires- and they are the ones usually given a hard time.

Our district is overwhelmed with parents pulling kids out in a temper tantrum over common core and standardized testing. People assume if they pull kids out no testing is required but in actuality, there is a requirement for testing. The homeschool community is trying to help educate the new members but I can see a school district attempting to shed some light on requirements as well.

In my state, no standardized testing is *ever* required, so parents can take their children out and not have to test.  I would never want the district to educate new homeschoolers because, in my experience, they give bad information.  We even redirect new homeschoolers away from the state educational website because it has wrong information.

This is the problem here too, I think. It seems that about, I dunno, two years ago (???) everyone was all for common core. Teachers that I know, personally, were excited about common core, saying that it was going to bring more "rigor" to education, etc. I just kept my mouth shut because I don't really care, as long as they don't try and tell me what to do, lol. I heard parents at soccer talking about it, nobody was worried.

But now, those same teachers are speaking very bitterly about common core- one of the ladies (a teacher) in my small group who was a champion for cc now says that she hates it and wouldn't advise any young people to become a teacher- I was pretty shocked when I heard her say that (she's not a fan of homeschooling). And then a lady at church was asking me about homeschooling... she has since pulled her kids out of Catholic school because they have aligned to common core and she hates "the changes that have been made". I just saw her today and she said they will start with their new co-op tomorrow.

As a matter of fact, yesterday, I went to the teacher orientation at the Baltimore Aquarium (you have to attend in order to register your group for a free field trip) and the lady giving the presentation was talking about teacher guides available and went to the next slide, and said, "And the State Department would like us to mention... something something... common core." I can't remember the exact words she used, but basically they want teachers to make an effort to align the trip with common core objectives, or something. And she said that the teacher guides would be available very soon, they had to totally redo them to align with comon core- and every teacher in that room collectively groaned and rolled their eyes, lol. Me and my homeschooling friend just looked at each other, because we didn't expect that- it was kinda weird.

So, I'm not really sure what the heck is going on- but it sounds like something is happening to cause a surge in homeschoolers, and yeah, it doesn't sound like they have spent a lot of time researching and trying to understand the laws.... and the rest of us are just hoping it doesn't cause the system to try and have more control than they are allowed.

So, it seems that they do clearly state that these are "reccomendations" and "Suggestions" but people (who have the "public schools are in charge of me" mindset) are treating them like requirements, and others (who have the "mind your own business" mindset) are only giving them the bare minimum that the law actually requires- and they are the ones usually given a hard time.

I'm afraid I would have been one of the ones who would provide the bare minimum of the law. Good thing my Xena Warrior Princess armor was in good shape when I was homeschooling. ::bg::

Don't apologize! This is interesting! :)

It is! LOL!! I went from having no strong feelings about it... to kinda sorta having some ;)

At any rate... I think I have a better understanding of both sides... and will use that when advising newbies from here on out :) I am only one of two homeschooling moms at church, well now 3, and I swear anytime anyone complains about the school system- someone sends them to me to discuss homeschooling.

I'm hearing complaints about common core from parents and teachers tied to the public schools as well. My overall impression is that it is not so much the standards themselves that are problematic as it is the implementation -- schools and teachers are having to discard instructional materials and lesson plans that were working just fine for them before, and try to implement the new standards often without adequate training, support, or even textbooks. It is a mess, and neither parents nor teachers are happy.

I don't like that it recommends Alpha Omega Lifepaks. To me, that makes it sound like, "this is what you use." They should never be recommending specific materials unless they're recommending at least five from different companies or publishers, IMHO.

Life of the party, your topic has gotten a lot of attention. I homeschooled in Pennsylvania as well and it was a bigger hassle than Maryland (remember: I used an umbrella in Maryland).

I homeschooled in VA and MD and VA was *way* harder than MD and all we had to do there was send in an annual notice of intent and give the CAT-E Survey to prove progress annually.  The whole reason MD was easier was because I lived in Charles County, one of the easiest counties to homeschool in.  The COMAR says you can be reviewed "up to" a certain number of times (3 or 4) per year.  Charles County seriously applied that up to!  The guy that does the reviews is super supportive of homeschooling.  Usually he just flipped through the portfolios in about 3 seconds and called it good.  Once he spent a long time examining a lapbook because he had never seen one before and thought it was the coolest thing ever.  In the fall, they'd send a postcard asking if you were teaching all the subjects and maintaining a portfolio.  You just checked yes and returned it.  In the spring he did in person reviews, but after two he put most people on telephone reviews.  At that one (usually done with his assistant) you'd affirm that you were teaching the required subjects and that you had a portfolio you could bring in if asked and whether you were going to continue to homeschool the following year or if you needed to add any additional kids to the list of kids you were homeschooling for the following year.  And that was it.  On the other hand, I had friends in St. Mary's County and they were a LOT more strict in how they interpreted the law (and both counties had valid interpretations).

Why would they hold a meeting if they are backlogged?

Because it is a lot faster to hold a Q & A session with a group of people then to hold them individually with everyone calling the office.

Why would they offer helpful meetings?

Because answering the same question 50 times on the phone gets old.  If I understand the information posted for the rules in this state they also need to be prepared for 3 meetings.  If people don't understand this requirement those meetings are going to take a lot more staff time then required.  Leading to everyone being stressed.

I homeschooled in VA and MD and VA was *way* harder than MD and all we had to do there was send in an annual notice of intent and give the CAT-E Survey to prove progress annually.  The whole reason MD was easier was because I lived in Charles County, one of the easiest counties to homeschool in.  The COMAR says you can be reviewed "up to" a certain number of times (3 or 4) per year.  Charles County seriously applied that up to!  The guy that does the reviews is super supportive of homeschooling.  Usually he just flipped through the portfolios in about 3 seconds and called it good.  Once he spent a long time examining a lapbook because he had never seen one before and thought it was the coolest thing ever.  In the fall, they'd send a postcard asking if you were teaching all the subjects and maintaining a portfolio.  You just checked yes and returned it.  In the spring he did in person reviews, but after two he put most people on telephone reviews.  At that one (usually done with his assistant) you'd affirm that you were teaching the required subjects and that you had a portfolio you could bring in if asked and whether you were going to continue to homeschool the following year or if you needed to add any additional kids to the list of kids you were homeschooling for the following year.  And that was it.  On the other hand, I had friends in St. Mary's County and they were a LOT more strict in how they interpreted the law (and both counties had valid interpretations).

I think this is what is frustrating and adds to the confusion. ALL the counties interpret the (vague) law differently and make their own "requirements". Most people, especially the new homeschoolers, don't realize that. So they tell people in other counties "this is what you have to do in Maryland" and then those people are like "But I thought I had to do it this way..."

It just creates a lot of confusion... a few of my friends in Prince Georges county said that after a certain time of homeschooling, you can do the reviews by mail- however that works.

In one county, once you have been homeschooling x amount of years, you only have to do one review a year.

So all these counties have this lax system going on- and over here they have random reviewers giving people a hard time about dated samples (what's the point with dated stuff? It's not notarized- it's not like the parent couldn't just go through the night before putting random dates on everything), and Writing With Ease, or whatever else.

It's just.... stupid.

Because answering the same question 50 times on the phone gets old.  If I understand the information posted for the rules in this state they also need to be prepared for 3 meetings.  If people don't understand this requirement those meetings are going to take a lot more staff time then required.  Leading to everyone being stressed.

But there is more than one option in MD; parents who choose one of the other two options don't have to meet with the school district.

It isn't clear to me whether this letter was sent to *all* homeschoolers or only to the ones that are doing the option that requires meetings. If it was sent only to those folks, then it makes sense; if it was sent to *all* homeschoolers, then no, it does not.

Why would they hold a meeting if they are backlogged?

Because it is a lot faster to hold a Q & A session with a group of people then to hold them individually with everyone calling the office.

My point is that the school district really shouldn't be answering those questions anyway.  As a homeschooler, your job is to know the law and follow it to the letter.  The school district's job is only to make sure you are following the law. In my experience, the school district is not your friend.  They will ask you to do anything that makes their job easier and lets them keep control.  In my state this year we have been seeing a bunch of school districts sending out letters asking for things that are not required by law. When they answer the questions of new homeschoolers, they tell them to do things that are not required.  "Everyone" who is calling the office and asking "the same question 50 times" should be reading the law for themselves and not calling the school district which is NOT in charge of his or her child's education. 

I don't like that it recommends Alpha Omega Lifepaks. To me, that makes it sound like, "this is what you use." They should never be recommending specific materials unless they're recommending at least five from different companies or publishers, IMHO.

Life of the party, your topic has gotten a lot of attention. I homeschooled in Pennsylvania as well and it was a bigger hassle than Maryland (remember: I used an umbrella in Maryland).

I didn't notice that before. That is really odd, especially as they're the school district and it's a religious curriculum. I don't think the intention is to recommend it - I think it's to show the style, the way that the MLA handbook isn't recommending a novel if it lists it after saying this is how you cite a novel - it's the example. It's still misleading and a weird choice.

Homeschooling in Maryland, which, I thank goodness I've never had to do, is really proof to me that homeschool review laws, no matter how well-intentioned (and I'm not saying Maryland's is or not, just that it could be seen that way) just can't work very well without being mostly random, useless, or capriciously enforced. For most people, it's not a terrible trial to do the reviews just an annoyance, but conversely it doesn't really accomplish showing that all these kids are getting continuous instruction very well either. And meanwhile, a large number of people are hassled greatly and told things that aren't in the law by reviewers who don't know what the heck they're even talking about. Plus it must cost the counties a decent amount to set all these people off their regular jobs one or two or three times a year depending on the county (further proof of the randomness of the enforcement of the law), but without any real payoff.

My point is that the school district really shouldn't be answering those questions anyway.  As a homeschooler, your job is to know the law and follow it to the letter.  The school district's job is only to make sure you are following the law. In my experience, the school district is not your friend.  They will ask you to do anything that makes their job easier and lets them keep control.  In my state this year we have been seeing a bunch of school districts sending out letters asking for things that are not required by law. When they answer the questions of new homeschoolers, they tell them to do things that are not required.  "Everyone" who is calling the office and asking "the same question 50 times" should be reading the law for themselves and not calling the school district which is NOT in charge of his or her child's education. 

:iagree:

I wanted to attend the meeting just because I am curious about what they would say. All the stuff they have sent out, that you shared, is interesting to see. On one hand I imagine they're just trying to make the task easier by being explicit but also how it then crosses over into asking for more than is necessary. I am sure I would leave the meeting frustrated with the organizers and the attendees.

I have had multiple conversations with new homeschoolers about doing county reviews and repeating multiple times how the review is to show you met the requirements and shouldn't be seeking approval or assessment of how you're doing. Unfortunately that mostly falls on deaf ears, though I can understand why.

I live in a different county, btw.

But there is more than one option in MD; parents who choose one of the other two options don't have to meet with the school district.

It isn't clear to me whether this letter was sent to *all* homeschoolers or only to the ones that are doing the option that requires meetings. If it was sent only to those folks, then it makes sense; if it was sent to *all* homeschoolers, then no, it does not.

The original letter was just to those dealing with the county.

Wow!  I've never heard of anyone saying VA was a hard state in which  to homeschool. I barely have any contact with our district, and I don't have a religious exemption either.  What Happened? 

Wow!  I've never heard of anyone saying VA was a hard state in which  to homeschool. I barely have any contact with our district, and I don't have a religious exemption either.  What Happened? 

Virginia wasn't hard.  It was very easy.  It was harder than Maryland, however.  Just comparing my experience in those two states.  In VA I had to order the test from Seton, administer it, send the results in, and do the annual NOI.  In MD, I threw a few pages into a notebook once a year for Mr. Weirich to look at (total time in his office: 10 minutes and most of that was him playing with my little guys) and after two years I could do it all on the phone in a 3 minute phone call.  Charles County is just super extra easy.

I could say both MD and VA are hard in comparison to what I have to do now in TX.  That would not be to say either state was a hard state in which to homeschool, it would just be compared to no reporting in TX.

I think this is what is frustrating and adds to the confusion. ALL the counties interpret the (vague) law differently and make their own "requirements". Most people, especially the new homeschoolers, don't realize that. So they tell people in other counties "this is what you have to do in Maryland" and then those people are like "But I thought I had to do it this way..."

It just creates a lot of confusion... a few of my friends in Prince Georges county said that after a certain time of homeschooling, you can do the reviews by mail- however that works.

In one county, once you have been homeschooling x amount of years, you only have to do one review a year.

So all these counties have this lax system going on- and over here they have random reviewers giving people a hard time about dated samples (what's the point with dated stuff? It's not notarized- it's not like the parent couldn't just go through the night before putting random dates on everything), and Writing With Ease, or whatever else.

It's just.... stupid.

What county are you in?  I am in Frederick.  We have one review in person a year; the second is by phone.  I had my yearly review this morning.  I told her I couldn't bring a portfolio because it's Sept 8 and there's nothing to show and she said it was no problem.  Of course, I've been dealing with the county for 15 years and my kids have excelled -- they might be harder on parents who are new or struggling.

What county are you in? I am in Frederick. We have one review in person a year; the second is by phone. I had my yearly review this morning. I told her I couldn't bring a portfolio because it's Sept 8 and there's nothing to show and she said it was no problem. Of course, I've been dealing with the county for 15 years and my kids have excelled -- they might be harder on parents who are new or struggling.

I'm not in Frederick :) But that's the point- that's all you have to do. But we have to go twice, and our reviews would never be in Sept. they are Jan/Feb for 1st semester and May/June for 2nd. If we showed up without a portfolio, we would be judged non-compliant, and you have 30 days to get "compliant"- if you don't, your kid has to be enrolled in school.

Vastly different experiences, but we are all subject to the exact same state law.

I'm not in Frederick :) But that's the point- that's all you have to do. But we have to go twice, and our reviews would never be in Sept. they are Jan/Feb for 1st semester and May/June for 2nd. If we showed up without a portfolio, we would be judged non-compliant, and you have 30 days to get "compliant"- if you don't, your kid has to be enrolled in school.

Vastly different experiences, but we are all subject to the exact same state law.

I get it -- it's crazy.  I just wanted to give my case as an example of the other extreme.  If I was in your county, I'd seriously consider joining an umbrella group.

I get it -- it's crazy.  I just wanted to give my case as an example of the other extreme.  If I was in your county, I'd seriously consider joining an umbrella group.

I did- just this summer :) And so did a lot of other people... the guy at the umbrella said that their numbers have exploded this summer- never had so many applications at once.