Menu

Books that you can't put down

Amira

I found The Martian: A Novel by Andy Weir to be very engaging even though I don't normally read science fiction.  And just recently my husband and I both listened to it as an audiobook.  It's a compelling story.

"Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars.

Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he’s alive—and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills—and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit—he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?"

Regards,

Kareni

Most recently, The Martian, The Golem and the Jinni, Bird Box, The Rosie Project, All the Light We Cannot See, Me Before You.

Life After Life was so great. 

I love the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger and will reread that at some point. 

Wool/Shift/Dust really sucked me in as well. 

Enclave/Outpost/Horde by Ann Aguirre were all good. 

I really get taken in by the characters in Liane Moriarty's books (What Alice Forgot, The Husband's Secret, The Hypnotist's Love Story). 

An older one:  Room by Emma Donoghue. 

A good one from years ago is Child 44.

Classic?  My Cousin Rachel by Du Maurier

If you like Urban Fantasy than the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning are my favourites. I always had to make sure I had the next book in the series before I finished one because I knew I would need to continue reading right away. I am not so patiently waiting for the next one to come out. 

I want to thank everyone for sharing their book recommendations. I've read many of the books in this thread only because someone here had previously recommended them. Some I enjoyed, but weren't necessarily "page turners".  And, I've just added a couple more to my Amazon cart.

Some page turners for me have been:

I would recommend pretty much anything by Stephen King (love his writing - his earlier works are the best - and they are definitely the kind of books that suck me right in and make me want to shut out the rest of my life to finish reading

S King's son's (Joe Hill) books are also very good - Heart Shaped Box, NOS4A2, Horns

The Silo Trilogy (Wool, Shift, Dust) (I wish these would be made into movies)

Newsflesh Trilogy (Feed, Deadline, Blackout)

The Martian

Hundred Foot Journey

Orphan Train

Gone Girl

Life After Life

Code Name Verity

I also enjoy Lisa See's books

I love the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger and will reread that at some point. 

Just an FYI in case you didn't already know, this summer she released a short story ebook about Alexia's father: 

The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't, the Mummy That Was, and the Cat in the Jar.

Her YA series is a lot of fun too.

This thread has made me realize its been a while since I have read for pleasure - I need to rectify this :P

Kite Runner

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Wolf Gift by Anne Rice (there didnt seem to be a good place to stop reading so I read most of it in one sitting but I'm an obsessive fan of Anne Rice)

Autumn by David Moody (it's a zombie series so not everyone's taste obviously)

Wolf Gift by Anne Rice (there didnt seem to be a good place to stop reading so I read most of it in one sitting but I'm an obsessive fan of Anne Rice)

Is this horror? The description sounds interesting but long ago Anne Rice put me off reading horror because I was having nightmares while reading her stuff. I haven't read a single horror book since. This one looks so intriguing though that I'd like to give it a go but not if my pants are going to be scared off.  :lol:

Is this horror? The description sounds interesting but long ago Anne Rice put me off reading horror because I was having nightmares while reading her stuff. I haven't read a single horror book since. This one looks so intriguing though that I'd like to give it a go but not if my pants are going to be scared off. :lol:

Definitely not scary but I am probably a skewed judge of that as I read a lot of horror/dark stuff. Wolf Gift was one of the first of Rices novels after her brief strange departure from the horror genre. And it is back to her beautifully written type of darker fiction.

I've read every one of her books, even the ones she wrote in her foray into religious fiction, and have never found her stuff scary though, so again - take my words with some salt lol

The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Dark Places (same author as above)

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Peony in Love (same author as above)

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Older but I always love the Amelia Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters as a comfort read.

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

The Unknown Errors of Our Lives by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

Sister of My Heart (same author as above)

The Birth House by Ami Mckay

The Saffron Kitchen by Yasmin Crowther

Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

A Thousand Splendid Suns (same author as above)
I also find many of the books by Amy Tan (The Kitchen God's Wife, The Bonesetter's Daughter, Savign Fish from Drowning) and by Pearl Buck (The Three Daughters of Madame Liang, Imperial Woman, Pavilion of Women) to be addicting reads.