Menu

Hair Loss?

Just Kate

I used to have oh-so-thick hair, but recently it is falling out. I mean, really falling out! When showering, as I run my hands through my hair while washing it, handfuls of hair come right out! I use a wide tooth comb on my hair (just barely) and it is always full of hair. My bathroom floor is covered by hair from hair drying (which I don't even do often!). What do I do? Any supplements I should be taking? Any specific hair products? 

Thanks!

How old are you? I had two major 'sheddings' in my early to mid 40s. I am now 47 and it has calmed down almost entirely. Now I lose what I would consider a normal amount of hair when I shower.

My hair is now half as thick as it was but it is not getting worse.  Most of my friends in their 40s, and even late 30s, have had significant hair thinning, but I am the only one who had it all at once.

My kid wouldn't even sit on my lap because he would get covered with hair! It was quite traumatic. 

Our teen experienced this, which often follows after a stressful period of life (for her:  nursing class pressure).

Google Telogen Effluvium, to learn more about it.  Treat your hair gently, test for thyroid problems, and try to figure out if it's stress-related.

We went to the dermatologist--there's really no good "cure".

Could be low ferritin, which is the iron stored in your body. My daughter has that, but it didn't show up on a regular blood test because they checked only for haemoglobin. Finally another doctor ran a test specifically for ferritin levels, and hers were shockingly low. When I looked up the symptoms of low ferritin, hair loss was one of them. Also feeling cold and tired apparently.

My hair is falling out but I think it's probably just the result of enormous stress so I'm going to let it go and see if it gets better.

• 2 months later...

Excuse me for sounding so negative, but do keep in mind that many many women truly do go bald, and there's not much they can do about it.

The reason I say this is because I know how frustrating it is to spend literally years trying to take vitamins, change your diet, read about how to help thinning hair, change your shampoo, imagine it's temporary, etc, etc -- while watching your hair get thinner and thinner because none of it does any good.

Even doctors and hairdressers had nothing to offer me other than, "Try this expensive shampoo" or "sure, try a multi-vitamin, see if it helps."

Finally, I found a doctor who gave me a scalp biopsy and discover that I had female-pattern baldness.

This may very well not be your situation, but I wanted to throw that in because it seems like on these hair loss threads all anyone does is recommend [debatable]products to fix it. But some things can't be fixed.

Because at this point you don't know a cause, it would be prudent to have some blood work done. Many common causes have been mentioned above - stress, low iron, low vitamin D, poor thyroid function, generally shifting hormones, treating your hair harshly (ie tight ponytail daily) - you can throw a lot of stuff at that but if you can discover the underlying issue it would be helpful.

I lose hair with low D, low iron and stress. I up my D and iron, increase exercise to reduce stress, and supplement occasionally with biotin. It's well under control now and serves as my "barometer," when it occurs, signaling that other things are off kilter and need a check.

• 2 months later...

Everyone's given great advice. I've always had very thick hair, but now that I'm 47, it's starting to change a bit. I try to remember and give myself a good scalp massage daily. Washing once a week, sometimes twice a week helps. It's better than the every-other-day thing I used to do. Yes, diet is very important. Supplements can help, of course, but I would think that diet comes first. 

A deficiency of some of the B vitamins, of iron, copper and iodine may cause hair disorders like falling of hair and premature greying.

• Brown Rice

• Lentils

• Sunflower Seeds

• Oats

• Quinoa

These all contain B vitamins and Biotin needed for healthy hair growth

Up to 90 percent of women who experience hair loss also suffer from low iron levels. Iron builds red blood cells, carries oxygen, and aids in hair growth.

Eat at least 3 daily servings of iron-rich foods

Vitamin C can increase iron absorption by as much as 30%. So drinking orange juice, eating strawberries, tomatoes, green peppers, etc. along with your iron-rich foods is a good idea.

Many have had success with Biotin. I take it a few times a week. It plays a key role in forming keratin, a protein that comprises healthy hair. It helps in preventive treatment for baldness. It is interesting that biotin levels fall progressively throughout pregnancy (and that is when many women lose hair). Taking a 5-10 mg supplement can thicken hair shafts and encourage new growth. Not everyone needs to take that much unless if they're concerned about hair loss. Most B-complex supplements have sufficient biotin otherwise. There are no known cases of biotin toxicity, particularly since it is water-soluble. Biotin is rapidly metabolized and excreted, so it’s easy to be deficient.

Massage Scalp Daily if you can

Press the bristles of your brush on your scalp and make several strokes from your hairline to the base of your neck.

Then make small circles over your entire scalp.

Alternate these methods for 90 seconds.

You might find tips on You Tube. 

Once a week, before shampooing, if I have time, I massage my scalp with a mixture of 1 tbsp coconut oil and 15 drops of rosemary essential oil. This helps to improve circulation to the scalp and nutrient flow to the hair follicles.

After rinsing hair with cold water, rub scalp vigorously with fingers. The scalp should be rubbed vigorously till it starts to tingle with the heat. It will energize the circulation of blood in the scalp, making the hair grow healthy, and strengthening the hair follicles This should be done for 10-15 minutes until you start to feel hot there.

Treat your hair gently.

Try not to use chemical hair dyes, use only natural products and a soft brush.

Do not towel dry or heat dry your hair.

Lie Upside Down

Lie on a slant board OR have your head hanging off the edge of the bed for 15 to 20 minutes per day. This will cause blood to flow to the scalp. Blood flow and improved circulation are very important in preventing and treating hair loss. You an also massage your scalp while in this position. Anything to improve blood flow to your scalp should help! :)

Yoga

The regular practice of yoga and certain inverted poses may help in slowing down and preventing hair loss by boosting circulation. 

Using a satin pillowcase may help because your hair is less likely to catch and pull on it as it would on a cotton pillowcase. A side benefit is that it helps save your hairstyle for another day, so you aren't pulling out more hair in the styling process. You can get them on amazon.

Use the most natural hair products you can find. Many have reported problems with Pantene! Try to use sulfate-free shampoos. Look for ingredients such as biotin, silica, Aloe Vera gel, vitamins C and E, jojoba oils, chamomile, marigold, ginseng, or passionflower. Most health-food stores carry a variety of natural hair care products.

Hair is fragile when it is wet. Gently pat your hair dry and squeeze out remaining moisture with a towel.

Calm a hectic schedule. Stress signals the body to produce cortisol, which elevates levels of hair-loss-promoting hormones.

The best shampoos contain hyaluronic acid. This natural lubricating substance coats and penetrates hair follicles, fortifying existing strands and stimulating growth by drawing in water and nutrients.

Episilk Shampoo

John Masters Organics Evening Primrose Shampoo

There are several brands of sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfate shampoos are said to cause hair loss in many people.

Traite by Mastey

Pureology

Onesta

Alter your hairstyle and part in order to avoid constantly pulling your hair in the same spot or direction. Amish women, who wear their hair pulled back tightly the same way every day of their lives, experience baldness at their part. Hair loss is often from the eternal ponytail.

Try to Avoid:

• Hard brushing

• Tight braids

• Pulling hair back too tightly can make the hair thin in the front

• Pulling hair too hard when blow-drying

• Blow drying if and when you can

• Commercial shampoos or rinses with artificial colors, preservatives, and dyes

• Any shampoo with Sodium Laureth Sulfate. It's the ingredient that makes the shampoo foam up.

• Harsh chemical products and hair spray

• Pantene products causes hair loss for many

• Never use a curling iron on wet or damp hair. This can cause serious breakage and damage in that spot. It is best to blow your hair all the way dry and not leave any wetness, not even a little.

• Avoid backcombing or teasing hair. It is damaging, plain and simple. 

• Do not wash your hair with too hot water.

• Do not wash your hair more than twice a week.

• Do not comb the hair backwards. Use a good quality brush/comb. Avoid excessive brushing.

HTH. 

That's exactly what happened to me when I started having thyroid problems.  I'd have your thyroid checked.  I'm on synthroid now, and my hair is nice and thick again and doesn't fall out anymore. 

You can also try zinc.  My doctor told me that sometimes a lot of hair shedding is due to low zinc levels.

It could be purely coincidental, but I lost tons of hair when I was anemic due to a uterine fibroid.  After my hysterectomy the hair loss returned to what seems like a normal amount to me.  But I was also under tons of stress and anxiety during that same time period due to other things.  So who knows if it was solely due to the anemia, or if it was a combination of factors?

Excuse me for sounding so negative, but do keep in mind that many many women truly do go bald, and there's not much they can do about it.

The reason I say this is because I know how frustrating it is to spend literally years trying to take vitamins, change your diet, read about how to help thinning hair, change your shampoo, imagine it's temporary, etc, etc -- while watching your hair get thinner and thinner because none of it does any good.

Even doctors and hairdressers had nothing to offer me other than, "Try this expensive shampoo" or "sure, try a multi-vitamin, see if it helps."

Finally, I found a doctor who gave me a scalp biopsy and discover that I had female-pattern baldness.

This may very well not be your situation, but I wanted to throw that in because it seems like on these hair loss threads all anyone does is recommend [debatable]products to fix it. But some things can't be fixed.

Even with this diagnosis, isn't it mainly thinning on the front part of the top? From what I have heard about this, it's not truly balding completely but rather much thinner than it used to be for many people. And would the Minoxidil be helpful in this case?