Menu

Cotton Candy Grapes!!!

displace

If you have never had cotton candy grapes, you MUST try them! 

Look for them in your stores.

Ask for them to be stocked in your markets.

Eat them every day they are in season. 

Unless you're allergic to grapes or hate the taste of cotton candy.  In which case(s), I'm sorry for you.

I have anxiously awaited, asked, and demanded these grapes since this time last year.

:drool5: I'm going to eat as much as I can now and thank goodness they are here again.

(for those of you who are interested, they do actually taste like cotton candy.  There are usually a few in a bunch that don't have that flavor, but not many IME.  They were created by naturally cross pollinating natural grape species to enhance the flavor.  Apparently, most market grapes have been bred to only a few flavors in the store because of other characteristics.  There are lots of natural flavors of grapes that are not commonly sold.)

My son works in a grocery store.   He brought these home to me a couple of days ago.   I'm still not sure what I think about them.  I don't typically like frozen grapes but I'm going to try freezing them.   

What?!  :svengo:

I mean... thanks for the different perspective.  :)

May you find your alternative to cotton candy grapes one day.  :)  Perhaps those pear apple fruits?  What are they called?  Those are pretty good too!

Gasp! Did you just suggest eating a grape without paying for it? Next you'll be restarting the big cart controversy and people will be studying over to the bakery for cupcakes.

I'll look for them when I'm out this weekend, thigh. I love sponsoring variety in the grocery.

If you have never had cotton candy grapes, you MUST try them!

Look for them in your stores.

Ask for them to be stocked in your markets.

Eat them every day they are in season.

Unless you're allergic to grapes or hate the taste of cotton candy. In which case(s), I'm sorry for you.

I have anxiously awaited, asked, and demanded these grapes since this time last year.

:drool5: I'm going to eat as much as I can now and thank goodness they are here again.

(for those of you who are interested, they do actually taste like cotton candy. There are usually a few in a bunch that don't have that flavor, but not many IME. They were created by naturally cross pollinating natural grape species to enhance the flavor. Apparently, most market grapes have been bred to only a few flavors in the store because of other characteristics. There are lots of natural flavors of grapes that are not commonly sold.)

I've seen them at Wegmans but never bought them.

I'll give them a try. Thanks for the encouragement!

Gasp! Did you just suggest eating a grape without paying for it? Next you'll be restarting the big cart controversy and people will be studying over to the bakery for cupcakes.

I'll look for them when I'm out this weekend, thigh. I love sponsoring variety in the grocery.

Ha! I almost put a disclaimer that I do not condone stealing one grape. But my mom says it's okay to do, so I left it out. :)

Unless you're allergic to grapes or hate the taste of cotton candy.  In which case(s), I'm sorry for you.

(for those of you who are interested, they do actually taste like cotton candy.  

I never heard of these but just saw them in my grocery store last week. I did try one because I wasn't sure if cotton candy referred to taste or texture. Sadly, it's taste. I fall into a category that makes you feel sorry for me. :)

My son works in a grocery store. He brought these home to me a couple of days ago. I'm still not sure what I think about them. I don't typically like frozen grapes but I'm going to try freezing them.

I must grudgingly admit after about two cups of them a few were a little tart for my taste. Gasp!

• 2 weeks later...

I always try one grape before I buy the bunch.  Occassionally they are too tart and I won't buy them.

I've never heard of cotton candy grapes!

I finally bought these. My grape eater LOVED them.

Unfortunately, it seems to be the end of the season, according to a produce worker. ??? When we went back for some more, our regular store didnt have them any more.

We did get some more at a different location.

I'm glad it was good for your grape eater.  I ate so many I think I OD'd.  :) 

Wegmans was handing out samples and I tried one. It might be easier to just eat a spoonful of straight sugar. I haven't brought them home because my kids (and I) don't need that much sugar. The guy who was handing them was making it clear that they were a treat, meant to be eaten in small quantities.

I don't even buy grapes often because of the sugar content, but those are like supergrapes.

Wegmans was handing out samples and I tried one. It might be easier to just eat a spoonful of straight sugar. I haven't brought them home because my kids (and I) don't need that much sugar. The guy who was handing them was making it clear that they were a treat, meant to be eaten in small quantities.

I don't even buy grapes often because of the sugar content, but those are like supergrapes.

I read something that said there is 18 grams per sugar/100 grams of grapes, which is only 12 percent more sugar than regular grapes.

I have never ever heard of cotton candy grapes. Could it be a regional thing??

AFAIK...with my very brief research...there is a very limited crop grown by one grower.

Wegmans has them.

http://abc30.com/food/witch-fingers-and-cotton-candy-grapes-a-big-hit/281183/

This article says they are at local (to them) Whole Foods.

It also mentions the grower is developing other flavors like raspberry lemonade and gummy bears. :lol: