Menu

First day back flubs

First day back to "kitchen table school" ~"Pull out Practice Voyage & let's look at sentence 1 together."

Except that Practice Voyage is NOT in their baskets, or in my books. Whoops. And I thought I finally had it all together!

School book ordering Fail!!

"Oops, looks like I forgot to order that one, no worries, let's do 'imagery' in F.S." Mama's got backup plans. Haha!

We don't start for another week and I've already derailed. Rather than starting school on Monday, I think we're going to Hershey Park.  I bought cheap tickets last spring and we haven't used them yet.  Season ends very soon and so......school starts Tuesday instead.  Oops.

We don't start for another week and I've already derailed. Rather than starting school on Monday, I think we're going to Hershey Park.  I bought cheap tickets last spring and we haven't used them yet.  Season ends very soon and so......school starts Tuesday instead.  Oops.

I think Hershey Park is a perfect Not-Back-To-School Day!

Our first day went well.  Except that our grand finale bike riding is a fail due to rain.  Oh well.  Other than that - success here.  :)

Now if our poetry books arrive on time ... We still have books arriving this week.  Crossing fingers they're all here before we need to break them open.

Now if our poetry books arrive on time ... We still have books arriving this week.  Crossing fingers they're all here before we need to break them open.

I *thought* I had everything ordered!  Whoops!  Oh well, sentence parsing can wait a week ;).

Oh, & I had hoped to introduce Latin this year but the TM is delayed ~ with no ETA.  Grrr.  I have 2 expensive student packs here & no TM.  I don't dare even break into the student packs in case I can't get a TM & need to send them back.  

Strange how I managed to remember to order things like composer study but forgot a key LA component.  I'm calling it summer brain ;).

I planned our school year with where DD was at the end of last year in mind. Except she's a reluctant writer and I didn't encourage enough over summer break to maintain our momentum. Oops - made the first week much more stressful than it needed to be. I've realized now I need to ramp the writing back up slowly... Much better morning so far!

Dd started dual enrollment classes and couldn't find her student ID. She says I picked it up and put it somewhere, but we couldn't find it anywhere. I do remember picking it up on her bed and saying she should put it away, but I don't remember if I did or she did. It was stressful, we ended up frustrated with each other, and it wasn't a good start to our new year. 

Things are better now, but still no ID. It has to be in her room somewhere!

Oh, & I had hoped to introduce Latin this year but the TM is delayed ~ with no ETA. 

Which program?  :bigear:

Went ok here, but we're only doing half-days this week. I'd loaned out my Latin stuff to an acquaintance ... and she got it back to me yesterday.  :hurray:  So, except for kids complaining that the Latin lesson went long, it went ok. We played some Simon Says :hat:  -- and they are RUSTY!

I'm curious what arrived from Rainbow Resource for the poster (another thread? status update?) who said she thought she had everything already in hand when she got a shipping notice from RR.  :crying:

We officially started 2 weeks ago but today is the first "no fuss full week" and my 11 year old completely had a melt down while READING the first lesson in Grammar. We didn't even write anything yet. I sent him to his room and he's sound asleep. Maybe rough night? No clue. He completed spelling, reading and science before he fizzled out.

We officially started 2 weeks ago but today is the first "no fuss full week" and my 11 year old completely had a melt down while READING the first lesson in Grammar. We didn't even write anything yet. I sent him to his room and he's sound asleep. Maybe rough night? No clue. He completed spelling, reading and science before he fizzled out.

Ooooh, poor guy.  At least he made it through quite a bit.  He sounds tired.  Tomorrow will be a better day.

(Unless he's getting sick?  I hope not!)

We did manage to have our bike ride here after all.  

And then... And then... For the grand finale:

DS had his first (three) bee stings!  

Oh joy!  So now he's Benadryled and iced, and ibuprofened, and watching TV with his hand elevated.  Poor kiddo.  And it's his writing hand, so I'm sure he'll milk it for all it's worth this week.  :)  ...I've had the epipens poised, but so far it looks like he's not allergic.  Yay for that!

First day flub #2:

We all sat down to read (The Invisible Man-kids, Gathering Blue-me) at 2:20 knowing we only had 20 minutes before we had to leave for piano. At 3:04 oldest asked, "what time is it?" I replied, "3:04" & returned to my book. Then HORROR struck.  Yes, that kind of panic.  Piano started FOUR MINUTES AGO. It just felt so good to sit down & read that we all lost ourselves in our books :(.  The flight of the bumblebees commenced & we arrived at piano, late.  (Super) short lesson & back home.  

RootAnn - I ordered Cambridge Latin from RR, student books here, but no TM. 

First day back to "kitchen table school" ~"Pull out Practice Voyage & let's look at sentence 1 together."

Except that Practice Voyage is NOT in their baskets, or in my books. Whoops. And I thought I finally had it all together!

School book ordering Fail!!

"Oops, looks like I forgot to order that one, no worries, let's do 'imagery' in F.S." Mama's got backup plans. Haha!

I did that last year! I forgot to order the RS C workbook. :( fortunately I could just write out the questions from the teacher's manual. I hope your LOE comes in soon.

Well I have been having the kids do some lessons through the summer but nothing that I felt was official. So I tried to make yesterday our "first day" and told them that from now on we are doing school everyday because school is back in session. They both went to PS last year and know what that is like but they are giving me such a hard time about doing anything! whining, pouting, acting like total off the wall nut balls! I have a feeling they are not taking me as serious as they did their teachers last year and am not sure how to remedy this and I find myself just getting frustrated and loosing my temper! Hoping this will pass with time :/

I bought both of my kids' science kits through the same provider. When I looked through my daughter's kit, it had every little thing she needed for all labs. I was in love!

When I pulled out my son's kit, I realized that since he is in upper science classes his kit only came with the more difficult to find items. No balloons for the first experiment for the first day. Ugh.

Well I have been having the kids do some lessons through the summer but nothing that I felt was official. So I tried to make yesterday our "first day" and told them that from now on we are doing school everyday because school is back in session. They both went to PS last year and know what that is like but they are giving me such a hard time about doing anything! whining, pouting, acting like total off the wall nut balls! I have a feeling they are not taking me as serious as they did their teachers last year and am not sure how to remedy this and I find myself just getting frustrated and loosing my temper! Hoping this will pass with time :/

My son was never in public school (he did go to preschool), but it still was a transition once we started homeschooling since it was establishing a whole new routine and finding out what worked (and didn't!) for us. It got much easier as we went along, and the next time we began a new school year the transition was much smoother.

I hope the rough patch passes quickly!  :grouphug:

ETA: I forgot to answer the OP!

We started 2 weeks ago. I had planned to start with science and do a full schedule, but the science curriculum hadn't arrived. My younger son and I both had a bad cold. So we just did a few things and stopped for the day. So much for those plans! 

Thankfully, science arrived last week and now we are in more of a routine.  I'm glad to have a bit of momentum before fall activities begin.