Menu

Help me solve this decorating dilemma

Aspasia

Yesterday I had the following exchange with my 4-year-old ds (who was talking in his usual, matter-of-fact tone):

Ds: What are you making, Mom?

Me: I'm making a sign to hang above the pantry door.

Ds: What is it going to say?

Me: It's going to say, "Pantry."

Ds: But Mom--everyone already knows there's a pantry right there.

Me: True.

Ds: So why do we need a sign?

Me (feeling a little foolish): I don't know, buddy. I guess I thought it would be cute.

It was mostly cute and funny, an anecdote to share with dh. But now it's bugging me. I used to be perplexed by these really obvious signs in people's houses. What's the point? And now I'm doing it??? I really like word art, but I like for the words to have some meaning beyond labeling the parts of my house. I want a sign up there (and I already have the board distressed and stained and I love it), but I don't know what word to put on it. What's a good word for a kitchen? I don't like the obvious, like "pantry" or "eat". Ideas?

Yesterday I had the following exchange with my 4-year-old ds (who was talking in his usual, matter-of-fact tone):

Ds: What are you making, Mom?

Me: I'm making a sign to hang above the pantry door.

Ds: What is it going to say?

Me: It's going to say, "Pantry."

Ds: But Mom--everyone already knows there's a pantry right there.

Me: True.

Ds: So why do we need a sign?

Me (feeling a little foolish): I don't know, buddy. I guess I thought it would be cute.

It was mostly cute and funny, an anecdote to share with dh. But now it's bugging me. I used to be perplexed by these really obvious signs in people's houses. What's the point? And now I'm doing it??? I really like word art, but I like for the words to have some meaning beyond labeling the parts of my house. I want a sign up there (and I already have the board distressed and stained and I love it), but I don't know what word to put on it. What's a good word for a kitchen? I don't like the obvious, like "pantry" or "eat". Ideas?

How about "food closet"? : D

I actually need those obvious signs, and have only one, and that one is out in the chicken house to inform the children that the chickens have one door and the humans use another.

The obvious to me is not so obvious to all the male beasts in my house....

"Abandon Hope, all ye who enter here?"

(Mine is a bit messy and disorganized...)

I need that on the door to the basement.

I put this on an index card on my fridge, modified from Homer. "And when they had put away their desire for eating and drinking, they put their dishes in the dishwasher."