Menu

Docs say I am in full-blown menopause & need to be taking a multi vitamin & calcium. What would you add to that list?

DB in NJ

I am fortunate to not suffer many symptoms, so I am not necessarily looking for relief, per se. I have gained 15 pounds (UGH!!!) and have noticed some hot flashes/sweating (but it is August in Jersey afterall...).

My cholesterol & triglycerides have also gone up :( I need to get some eating and exercise habits back under control, but what else can I do to take better care of myself?

If you have been there, what do you do? Which supplements help & which ones are a waste of money?

Wine.  Lots of wine.

I really believe low carb helped me.  I am through menopause and did not have many hot flashes, plus it seems easier to maintain a reasonable weight.  

I don't take any supplements for menopause, per se, but do take SAMe (for the benefits to joints), B-complex, D3, and magnesium.

1. Strength training.  Serious strength training with heavy (for you) weights.  If you don't know how, it's worth a few sessions with a trainer to get you started.  It will help protect your bones, give you better strength and balance to prevent falls, and make everyday things easier.

2. Bone broths (that is, home made stock made from bones).  These are some of the healthiest things you can eat.  They will give you gelatin and glucosamine, which are great for your skin and joints, about a zillion trace minerals (including calcium and magnesium), as well as easy to digest protein.  Oh, and they are DELICIOUS. You will never touch a box of store-bought stock again.  And they are essentially free to make (and super easy).  Just Google making home made bone broth and you will get lots of techniques.  Just pick one that makes sense for your lifestyle and make sure to have it in some form a few times a week.

I take Citracal, a multi.

On the advice of my eye-doc, I also take fish-oil.   (Btw, Omega-Brite fish-oil is the only one that doesn't give me any fishy, after-taste, berps etc.)

Oh, and I gave up caffeine a couple of years ago...some days I really miss it.

1. Strength training.  Serious strength training with heavy (for you) weights.  If you don't know how, it's worth a few sessions with a trainer to get you started.  It will help protect your bones, give you better strength and balance to prevent falls, and make everyday things easier.

2. Bone broths (that is, home made stock made from bones).  These are some of the healthiest things you can eat.  They will give you gelatin and glucosamine, which are great for your skin and joints, about a zillion trace minerals (including calcium and magnesium), as well as easy to digest protein.  Oh, and they are DELICIOUS. You will never touch a box of store-bought stock again.  And they are essentially free to make (and super easy).  Just Google making home made bone broth and you will get lots of techniques.  Just pick one that makes sense for your lifestyle and make sure to have it in some form a few times a week.

I do workout with weights, but not consistently enough. I am trying (again) to get into a routine with my cardio/weight workouts. Thank you for the reminder!

I will look into the broth info!

I take Citracal, a multi.

On the advice of my eye-doc, I also take fish-oil.   (Btw, Omega-Brite fish-oil is the only one that doesn't give me any fishy, after-taste, berps etc.)

Oh, and I gave up caffeine a couple of years ago...some days I really miss it.

Mark bought me fish oil so I am taking that now. No yucky burpy stuff either, so he did good!

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the last sentence you wrote. Must be in some foreign language that I cannot translate into English....looks like you said "I gave up caffeine...." Nope. Not computing! ;)

Double check your thyroid.  Getting that right can help with the other blood chemistry also.

Back off on iron if you have been taking it.  It's easy to go into an OD position in menopause.

It's funny, the reason I had the bloodwork done in the first place was to have my thyroid checked. After he printed the order and we continued to talk, he asked for it back, threw it in the trash, and added the hormone studies.

I don't take iron (unless it's in my multi). What is OD??

Be careful with fish oil.  I used to take fish oil and my hair started falling out.  I have a lot of hair so on the one hand it is hard to notice if I've lost a significant amount, but on the other hand it's easy to see large gobs of hair in the drain!

I stopped taking it and that problem went away.  So no it was not just getting old-----> lose hair.

My hair was falling out, too! That's one of the reasons I wanted my thyroid checked (I have a long history of thyroid weirdness).

I'm hoping the fish oil helps with my cholesterol though.

How about we all invent the ONE PERFECT PILL that fixes all of these things?! :D

Hiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!

I was just looking at my multi yesterday; it doesn't have the level of B vitamins I'm hearing I should take. Maybe I should get a bottle of Vitamin B complex?

Once we near 50, many people are B12 deficient. You could take B12 or a complex. You may not need it but it couldn't hurt to see if it helps your energy, if that's even an issue for you. 

I would add magnesium so the calcium is not just sitting there but can be processed. Don't get the inexpensive version off some grocery shelf. I like Jigsaw magnesium or there are drops called ReMag which are supposed to be good.

If you'd like relief from hot flashes, you could try Maca. I take about 900mg and seems to be a good dose but you may have to experiment.

On the cholesterol subject, I would have the doctor order the VAP (Vertical Auto Profile) test in addition to a differentiation between LDL and HDL. This will tell you if your particles are small and sticky (a bit more alarming) or large and buyant (no worries). Also if your HDL is high, it will balance out some of the LDL's not so good effects.

Try to eat more deep sea fish, i.e., salmon and sardines, avocados,  butter and dairy (if you eat it at all) from grass-fed cows.

Just saying, the weight will be difficult if next to impossible to get off even with exercise and a good diet. My doc does not advocate multivitamins. She would rather her patients eat a good, well-rounded diet, go outside for vit-D, and get some daily exercise.

A good source of vit-B12 is nutritional yeast. My DDs like nut yeast on popcorn. 

Cholesterol & triglycerides, along with blood pressure will all go with menopause. Heart disease is the #1 killer of women and men.

The only vitamin I was prescribed was Vitamin D after a blood test showed I was low.  But I live in the Northeast and it was the middle of winter at the time so I don't think needing supplementation around here is uncommon.

The weight thing is what I find most discouraging.  No matter what I do, it stays the same.  It's not going up by much no matter how "bad" I am, but it's not going down either.

It's funny, the reason I had the bloodwork done in the first place was to have my thyroid checked. After he printed the order and we continued to talk, he asked for it back, threw it in the trash, and added the hormone studies.

I don't take iron (unless it's in my multi). What is OD??

OD is overdose.  Once you go through menopause your iron consumption can drop a lot, in which case it can build up in the body to dangerous levels, contributing to heart problems.

Just saying, the weight will be difficult if next to impossible to get off even with exercise and a good diet. My doc does not advocate multivitamins. She would rather her patients eat a good, well-rounded diet, go outside for vit-D, and get some daily exercise.

A good source of vit-B12 is nutritional yeast. My DDs like nut yeast on popcorn. 

Cholesterol & triglycerides, along with blood pressure will all go with menopause. Heart disease is the #1 killer of women and men.

I have been in surgical menopause for seven years and my triglycerides and blood pressure are low. I think diet and exercise are more important than ever at this time in life. What I got away with in my twenties, I cannot get away with now.

I second Vitamin D.  Did the dr. check it?  Low Vitamin D is common these days as people avoid sun exposure.  It has been linked to osteoporosis and recently dementia and Alzheimers.  Mine is low.  I find that I'm fatigued on the days I forget to take my supplement.

My doc also recommended more exercise to help my cholesterol.  I never had a problem with either of these before, but this menopause thing is totally messing with me.

you want the most bioavailable forms of vitamins.  if it doesn't say what the form is - pass it up as a waste of money.  it is almost guaranteed to be something very cheap that your body will use little of.  your liver will have to convert it to a form you can use - while throwing out more waste byproduct your body now has to get rid of.  it's cheaper, and healthier to just by the bioavailable form.  

e.g. vitamin b6.  the most bioavailable form is pyroxidal 5 phosphate/p5p.  even the rx b6 is NOT p5p.

I use emerald laboratories mutli-vitamin. they were developed by a naturopath.  all the forms are the most bioavailable on the market.  there are a few other brands that are also quality.  keep in mind, just because it's expensive does NOT mean it is using quality ingredients.  iow; read labels for forms.

I also use their b-healthy b-complex.  I used a brand name b-complex for years and I did feel better with it than without it.  then I started reading labels.  I was disappointed with the quality of their vitamin forms and switched.  despite taking a b-complex for years, I noticed a difference within 7-10 days.  it was like someone had switched on a light.

d3 tends to be a common deficiency, even in people who are outside in the sun quite a bit.  docs have raised the suggested blood level from 30 to above 50.   one oncologist said she never had a patient with a level above 30.  d3 - cholecalciferol is easy to get.  just make sure it is d3, and not d2 (which doesn't raise levels long-term.)  my dd doesn't abosorb it well, and uses drops.  most people will be fine with the gel-tabs.  I take 4000IUs daily, and I still haven't been able to get my levels above 50.

because some of us do not use vitamins effectively.  we have a disorder that affects how vitamins are used and it simply is not possible to get enough to effectively nurture the body.  that is based upon blood testing done in a reputable lab.

This always confuses me.  If you eat appropriately, exercise, sleep, etc why do you need supplements if you feel well?

Wine.  Lots of wine.

I really believe low carb helped me.  I am through menopause and did not have many hot flashes, plus it seems easier to maintain a reasonable weight.  

I don't take any supplements for menopause, per se, but do take SAMe (for the benefits to joints), B-complex, D3, and magnesium.

Low carb! 

I do still have hot flashes now and then, but I just throw off the blanket or robe or sweater or get up and walk around. It's never been a big deal.