Menu

WWYT- FB content

DragonFaerie

He was teasing his son that the son wanted to go for the hot women? Wouldn't phase me at all. It's like joking about going to Amsterdam for the pot or whatever. I wouldn't think he was serious.

If he said it to another married guy, then it might annoy me. But, to an unmarried young person? It is just teasing.

I would be surprised because that is not the sort of thing my dh would say, but I wouldn't think much of it. I would cringe because I think it is tasteless, but that is about as far as it would go.

I did think it was tasteless, but we have some fairly heavy baggage that we're sorting through, so I read a lot more into than just that.  To me, it was disrespectful to me, as though he is still out there looking at other women (and really happy about it given all those exclamation points).  But it sounds like I probably overreacted.

But it's the kid wanting visit Brazil and your SO right?  So he was saying the kid was visiting for that reason?  What makes it look like SO is looking? 

It's just the way I interpreted it.  Maybe it was all those exclamation points.  A question mark would have given the remark a whole different feel, IYKWIM.  DSS's reply was classy.  He said something along the lines of, "Definitely a plus, but I really just want to travel and Brazil is one place I want to visit the most."

I want to know what the Hive thinks about this.  DSS(19) posted something on FB about wanting to visit Brazil.  SO replied "For all the hot women!!!!!"  If your husband or SO said this, would you be offended or would you think nothing of it? 

This is why I keep my FB circle small (seriously, like 20).  If they aren't really my friend, we aren't friend on FB, either.  Too much crossing of boundaries and information.

My sister was offended when I declined her son's FB friend request.  Hey, I like the kid (he's 15), but he's not my friend, nor my peer, and he doesn't get a window into my life with my friends and peers (his window into my life is that I'm his aunty), and I don't want a window into his life with his peers, either.

One of the downsides of things like FB is that there is way too much permeability of normal boundaries between sets of people.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I'd be annoyed (and a little disturbed). If it's your step-son, it's his son, right? Regardless, for an older male authority figure to publicly talk about women that way is disrespectful to women, imo. Sad that is seems from the boy's response that he was the one to be mature and try to avoid the awkwardness while the grown man is making vaguely dirty inferences on his page. If I were just a random FB friend seeing that post, I'd think it was awkward and lose some respect for the elder man. Sure, it was just a joke, but it was an inappropriate one for a public atmosphere, especially given the father (or father figure) type relationship. I get REALLY annoyed at the blatant, public objectification of women under the guise of "male bonding".

I seem to be in the minority here, but I'd be annoyed (and a little disturbed). If it's your step-son, it's his son, right? Regardless, for an older male authority figure to publicly talk about women that way is disrespectful to women, imo. Sad that is seems from the boy's response that he was the one to be mature and try to avoid the awkwardness while the grown man is making vaguely dirty inferences on his page. If I were just a random FB friend seeing that post, I'd think it was awkward and lose some respect for the elder man. Sure, it was just a joke, but it was an inappropriate one for a public atmosphere, especially given the father (or father figure) type relationship. I get REALLY annoyed at the blatant, public objectification of women under the guise of "male bonding".

Yes, my SO is DSS's father.  SO is actually my XDH, but we're back together and working on rebuilding our relationship, which is part of that baggage that makes me probably more than a little touchy about things.  He thinks the comment was no big deal and I need to get over it already.

I wouldn't think anything of it.

Even if dh enjoys seeing a "hot" woman, it wouldn't bother me. I believe it is natural to look and appreciate qualities that you find pleasing to the eye. Now if he is leering at or drooling over these women, I'd take issue with it.

In this case, it sound like a joke or tease. It may have been in bad taste, but I have never truly understood the father son teasing that goes on.

I think you would do better to file away his comment in your mind and consider it when you are considering whether you really want to be with this man. 

I can see where we might think he was just teasing step son, you are in a better position to determine his real views on the topic. Your follow up makes it seem like doesn't think it is a big deal to think the way he does, talk about women in this context, etc.  The appropriate response isn't to try to change the grown man, but to decide if you want to be with a grown man who holds those views. KWIM?