Menu

zucchini---what are your favorite recipes?

Ottakee

Slice it, dip it in egg, dredge in a mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Drizzle it with butter and bake until done. I like it crisp, some like it soft. 

I can eat a lot of zucchini cooked this way. 

Also, I saute zucchini, mushrooms, and a diced chicken breast. Then add a handful of cooked ravioli- we always use the fresh ravioli but frozen is fine. Then add a big scoop of pesto and some fresh parm.    I make it with mostly zucchini when it's in season, and often don't use mushrooms because everyone picks them out but me. 

Zucchini fritters: Shredded, mixed with some egg, bread crumbs, and whatever herbs you like. Cook in olive oil in frying pan until brown on each side. Really good with tzatziki sauce. 

Also "zucchini coins" which is our name for sliced zucchini dipped in egg and lightly breaded with bread crumbs. Then cooked in frying pan with olive oil until brown on outside and slightly soft in middle. Good dipped in tomato sauce. 

Zucchini hummus:

1 15oz. Can chickpeas, drained

1C coarsely chopped zucchini

1 garlic clove

1/4 C chopped fresh parsley

1/4 C fresh basil

1/2 tsp salt. (I usually end up adding more, but taste it first)

1/4 C olive oil

1 tsp lemon juice

Combine everything in a food processor and pulse to desired consistency.

Dh has been slicing it up into rounds and grilling it. I'm not a big fan of zucchini or some other squash, but I will usually tolerate it with a little butter.

Trisha Yearwood talked about doing this on an episode I watched:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/grilled-zucchini-with-herb-salt-and-feta.html

This looks good, but then, I'd eat a rubber tire if it had feta on it.