Menu

Frugal support group?

mommymilkies

Would anyone be interested in joining up and talking about what frugal changes they're making to save money? Groceries, clothes, homeschooling, whatever?  Things are super tight here and the HOLIDAY SEASON IS UPON US. So I'm freaking out a little about how to pinch some pennies and make birthdays and gifting seasons work.  We can share & talk budgets, crafts, menu plans, handmade gifts or whatever? Anyone? :D

I'll join in!

We just don't do gifts much, though, so I'm not sure I can be of much help there. For birthdays, the child gets a dinner date with one parent and they get to choose the restaurant (they almost always choose a buffet place). For Christmas, we try to buy one or two nice family gifts for everyone to enjoy, and otherwise just provide a few stocking stuffers. Keeps things simple, and my kids are used to it so they don't expect more. Extended family mostly don't exchange gifts, my siblings and I draw names so I have one outside person to buy for, but the gift is not supposed to be more than about $20.

I'm all for frugal support.  I can always use ideas for ways to save money.

This past Christmas, we just decided not to do gifts at all. It was too much hassle and expense.  So we decided that our Christmas present to ourselves was going to be sitting around the house and actually having the time to use all the schtuff that we ALREADY have.  I also bought some cinnamon buns, cocoa, etc., as a treat for the week (we never have stuff like that at home).

I'm all for frugal support.  I can always use ideas for ways to save money.

This past Christmas, we just decided not to do gifts at all. It was too much hassle and expense.  So we decided that our Christmas present to ourselves was going to be sitting around the house and actually having the time to use all the schtuff that we ALREADY have.  I also bought some cinnamon buns, cocoa, etc., as a treat for the week (we never have stuff like that at home).

OOOOOHHHHH!  That sounds wonderful!  I've been lobbying for that for years but no one else in my family (immediate or extended) is interested.

Me too! We seriously need to downsize Christmas. We combined two households this year and my father is moving into a retirement community. We're drowning in stuff, low on cash, and needing to recreate our celebrations and traditions.

I'm in too. I'll be of little help on the holiday part though.

I need to figure out a way to get rock bottom prices on essentials before the babies come.

What essentials do you need?  I can keep an eye out for you.  I have friends that are pg and always posting sales. 

Can we revive the frugal living social group? This way it's all in one, easy to find spot?

Sure!  I didn't realize there is one.  Heck, I'm probably already a member.  Let's get it going again!

Sounds good to me!

We make gifts for each other for Xmas. The kids usually get one new thing from us. We always get lots from grandparents, so I don't feel they need a ton for us.

I also always make my kids give away toys they no longer want as gifts for their friends that they may want to give something too, that way I don't have to give gift to other kids.

For our adult friends I always make something...usually a baked good of some kind.

I'm already starting to get anxious about Christmas. Going handmade isn't the answer either. I don't know what is.

I'd be interested in frugal Christmas ideas...

Personally, I'd be good with buying nothing and receiving nothing, but I already know that's not going to work in my family.

That's how it was when I grew up, but dh's family are HUGE on gift giving, so I always feel compelled to give presents to keep up with them.  This year there's no way, though.  NO WAY.  So I'm thinking handmade so I'm actually "giving" them something.  Only two of my kids like handmade stuff, so they'll have to deal. :p  I will buy a few things.  I got a signed copy of one of dd's favorite books for a fundraiser for under $15 (!!!), so I'm dying with excitement for her to get it.

I want to go the consumable route too. My mom loves jam but I've been twitchy about food gifts for my dad, since he's a diabetic and he's struggles with his weight all his life, but I'm thinking quarter pint jars (the size of a baby food jar) with the absolute minimum amount of sugar Pomona's pectin says I can get away with.

Pickled garlic is also a huge, schmancy hit and it's not that bad if you use elephant garlic and very small jars.

I think I'm over the backlash from all those years of not being able to afford anything for my parents. I'd better be, because they're going to have to toss it when they sell their houses anyway!

If you don't can, mason jars filled with layers of beans and grains are pretty, especially if you put a bow around them and print out pretty labels that say "soup mix".

I should take my own advice, shouldn't I?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sounds like my dh's family. As for handmade... I don't really make anything, though in the past I have bought a few ceramic things and painted them. I just don't want to feel like I'm giving away something useless or unappreciated. Not saying others are, but I just wonder if I'm just sending them clutter. Even though it's holiday-related (Christmas jar, Christmas ornament, etc.), after the years I'm sure people get enough of that stuff. For a while I told myself I'd be fine if I never saw another holiday mug again. I used to cross-stitch and I've made a couple things like that, but I don't know that anyone wants something like that. My go-to for handmade/homemade now is food. I figure worst case they don't like it and they pass it on or it gets thrown away. But it's a consumable so they don't have any commitment to hang onto it. The tricky part is knowing if people will appreciate ___ baked good. One year we gave away some baskets with a trail mix we put together + some other baked items. Due to the distance involved, baked goods are out this year. But baked goods might work for office exchanges (at dh's work they always exchange gifts).

Same here with distance and feeling like I'm giving away unappreciated things.  My Mom likes handmade things, and a couple of my kids, but too bad. I just don't have money for big things this year.  So I'm only doing time intensive things for the ones who care. :)  I'm hunting Pinterest for good ideas. 

I had an idea after last Christmas but didn't follow thru.  I was going to start buying gift cards every week or 2.    Like buy a $20 Walmart gift card or a $10 fast food gift card & put them up.  Then closer to Christmas I could use the gift cards to buy presents. (or groceries if I didn't need a gift from there).  The fast food cards could be gifts to nieces & nephews etc. 

I had an idea after last Christmas but didn't follow thru.  I was going to start buying gift cards every week or 2.    Like buy a $20 Walmart gift card or a $10 fast food gift card & put them up.  Then closer to Christmas I could use the gift cards to buy presents. (or groceries if I didn't need a gift from there).  The fast food cards could be gifts to nieces & nephews etc. 

What a great idea! Like those Christmas Club accounts we had as kids, saving a little bit each week so we could have spending money at Christmas. Too bad $25 doesn't go nearly as far these days . . .

Two traditions I want to continue (and offer as ideas for others) but could do with fresh ideas for are:

Something hilariously age appropriate for my adult kid's stocking that HAS to be useful, but also double as a gag gift. I've already done deodorant, razors, condoms, airplane sized bottles of alcoholic beverages, and spark plugs for his car.

Something inappropriate packaged in a velvet jewellery box; I've done a single guitar pick and a single magnetic poetry word.

Everything for him really needs to be consumable, since he's going to be bouncing around from dorm to barracks to squeezing back into a bedroom that was pretty full of stuff I was storing for his sister.

Any ideas for de-greedifying a spoiled rotten six year old would also be helpful. :laugh: :laugh:

What kind of items do you make? Are they crafts or clothing?

I knit and sew, mostly.  Here's my Pinterest board, and I have some ideas on Ravelry, too.  

LOVE that idea!

I suggested to DH that we eat through the food we have in the pantry before buying new things like Cereal, etc.....He didn't like that idea......ARGH! He is part of the reason we can't keep the grocery bill low.

I need to hit a few thrift stores this week.  My middle son needs some clothing and some swim shoes for camp next week.

I suggested to DH that we eat through the food we have in the pantry before buying new things like Cereal, etc.....He didn't like that idea......ARGH! He is part of the reason we can't keep the grocery bill low.

I need to hit a few thrift stores this week.  My middle son needs some clothing and some swim shoes for camp next week.

I hear you there.  Dh is the same.  I just had the kids go through and inventory EVERY food item in the house on the computer.  Well, we need to do the chest freezer in the icky basement.  Maybe now I can plan some meals?  I'm just feeling very unmotivated to cook lately.  Why do these people always want to eat?  :lol:

Next week my husband and my two oldest boys will be away for camp.

I am seriously thinking of spending the week doing make ahead crockpot meals and freezing them so I only have to pop then in the crockpot at the beginning of the day.

We have SO much stuff to do to get our house ready to sell that I really don't have time to be worrying about food/dinner.

Oh, and my youngest and I will be cleaning out his room and painting it while they are gone.  We may even get to paining the kitchen.

Dawn

I hear you there.  Dh is the same.  I just had the kids go through and inventory EVERY food item in the house on the computer.  Well, we need to do the chest freezer in the icky basement.  Maybe now I can plan some meals?  I'm just feeling very unmotivated to cook lately.  Why do these people always want to eat?  :lol: