Menu

What to have in the car for emergencies while driving...

OneStepAtATime

back and forth about 4 hours each way once a week with kids and a dog in the very old van...

I can think of a few but wondered if I was missing something.

Bottles of water

Sunscreen

Back up battery for phone

spare leash

paper towels

snacks

cleaning wipes

umbrella

flashlight (although I doubt we will be driving at night)

bandaids

barf bag

spare trash bag

road flares

blankets (although I doubt it will get terribly cold)

Hmmm, anything else?  I know I must be missing thing....

Dog food in case you're delayed?  I always keep a bit of cash in my car- some quarters for vending machines or for air pumps that aren't free, and some cash in case we need an order of fries or a drink.  (If someone in our family has an upset stomach, soda is usually calming). 

Great ideas, everyone.  Thanks!  Trying to wrap my head around various realistic scenarios just in case....

I have not had to consistently road trip over and over with my kids and the dog and not my husband in a really long time.  Some stretches won't have towns nearby, or possibly many passing cars depending on time of day, day of week, and my van has seen better days so DH is a bit nervous.  The dog is an introvert that gets terrified in storms so I don't know that she would be much use if someone decided to mess with us, but maybe just seeing her would be discouraging...:)

Our list is kind of short: jumper cables, air compressor/emergency light thingee, water bottles, flashlight, first aid kit. We also happen always to have in the car with us kleenex, scissors, hand wipes, toothpicks, nail clipper, straws, napkins/paper towels, tums. Yes, tums. :D

Phone book or at least numbers of tow companies along the way.  My auto insurance covers towing quite nicely, but I have to pay for it myself up front, and they reimburse me; I have to call a company myself.  I don't have internet on my phone, and 411 gets expensive.  If I knew I would be traveling a lot along the same route, I'd have a list of emergency numbers with me.

Checkbook and/or spare cash and/or a spare credit card, just in case your primary form of payment doesn't work for some reason.

Basic tools, spare alternator (oh, wait, that's just me? I've had four alternators go up suddenly in three vehicles over the past 16 years; I am seriously considering keeping a spare on hand), tire pressure gauge, jumper cables.

Pocketknife.  You never know when it might come in handy.  My DH recently did a temporary emergency fix on a vehicle using his trusty pocketknife; it held well enough to make it to the next town, where there was an auto parts store.

Hats for sun, hat/gloves/scarves for cold weather.  As it gets cooler, not just blankets but extra sweatshirt and snow pants, in addition to the usual coat, just in case you're either stuck on the road somewhere or needing to walk.

Something to spray the air/car with in case someone gets sick.

Small plastic bags, like ziplocks or grocery bags, and/or empty plastic bottles to pee in.  Depending on age of the children, you could get one of those inflatable potties that uses a small grocery bag.

An emergency bucket------take an ice cream pail and double line it with walmart bags.  Then put some paper towel or napkins in the bottom and have some TP in there.  Then in a worse case scenario, you have a porta pottay or puke bucket.  If it needs to be used, just snap the lid back on and at the next trash place you could remove the double bags and "contents" and go on again.

An emergency bucket------take an ice cream pail and double line it with walmart bags.  Then put some paper towel or napkins in the bottom and have some TP in there.  Then in a worse case scenario, you have a porta pottay or puke bucket.  If it needs to be used, just snap the lid back on and at the next trash place you could remove the double bags and "contents" and go on again.

This is brilliant. Wish I had known about this idea when my kids were little and we traveled a lot!

I also keep brake fluid, oil, funnel, transmission fluid, tire repair kit, fuses, antifreeze/coolant, duct and electrical tape and dry gas (it removes water from your gas). And yes that's what we have in a tote that lives in the trunk of my car, along with some previously mentioned items. My car is the one that goes just about everywhere (and the mileage can tell you that :) )

If you know you have known pukers in the family, add some spot shot, paper towels and febreeze or lavender essential oil to the mix.  Icecream buckets or small trash cans are the right size for puking in, but if you are short on space, gallon sized ziplock bags are stiff enough to also do the trick. We store spare outfits in gallon sized ziplocks stuff into the back pockets of the van seats. The plastic insures that the outfit stays clean in case some splash occurs. (sorry for the tmi!)

If you know you have known pukers in the family, add some spot shot, paper towels and febreeze or lavender essential oil to the mix.  Icecream buckets or small trash cans are the right size for puking in, but if you are short on space, gallon sized ziplock bags are stiff enough to also do the trick. We store spare outfits in gallon sized ziplocks stuff into the back pockets of the van seats. The plastic insures that the outfit stays clean in case some splash occurs. (sorry for the tmi!)

:lol:   Its all good!