Menu

I know we're in summer, but I need recommendations for winter wear.

luckymom

If the temperature is below 80F outside, I feel cold.  If the air conditioning is on, I feel cold.  I wear long sleeves and drink hot beverages to feel comfortable all day long.  I sit in the sun to warm up.  My dc call me The Reptile. :)

We are usually in warm weather places, so it's been manageable, but we are spending the coming winter in a cold, snowy place.  It can get down to -30F and most days will be in the teens. 

I need to purchase a winter wardrobe that will keep me warm, dry and comfortable.  I know that layering is important.  But layering what?

Please share specifics - fabrics, layers, brands, tops, bottoms, socks, coats, hats, scarves, gloves, boots, etc., that will weather-proof me.

I will need to be going outdoors on a regular basis so it has to be an outfit that keeps me warm inside (there will be a heater but my family will not want it at 80F :)), and that I can add to it every time I have to go outside (obvious, I know, I just mean that the layers have to work with a lot of going in and going out). 

While we're at it, if you have any advice in general for me about living in the cold and snow - how to care for house, car, garden, pets, people, stay sane ... please share that too.   I am very excited about the upcoming experience, and want to thrive rather than shiver through the winter.

Thank you.

I don't know if they sell them year round or if you'll have to wait until fall, but check out Lands End. Their winter wear is rated by temperature and generally is high quality. I have a couple of their fleeces that I sometimes wear alone as shirts, sometimes as a layer over a shirt and under a coat, and sometimes as a light pullover "jacket" all on their own.

Don't forget scarves--I have some pashmina shawls that are light, but warm, and can be worn in a variety of ways--over the head, around the shoulders, bunched around my neck, whatever the situation requires.

Ugg boots are my favorite for cold feet! I have a pair for outdoors and another I use indoors.

I am a fleece lover and wear an older version of a lightweight Lands End fleece shirt for everyday.

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-polartec-100-henley/id_257401

For outdoor cold my daughter and I like Cuddleduds for an underlayer--they work well, plus go on clearance around here at the end of the season. They have a thinner version and a fleece version.

I am reading that thermal underwear is a critical part of the layering process but wearing wool underwear will make me itch like crazy.  What are some good silk and/or synthetic options to keep warm and fit under pants?  Please name brands. 

My normal winter attire (indoors):

Padded bra (yes, I do think it makes a difference), camisole, cotton turtle neck, fleece, down vest, Smartwool socks, slippers, long underwear, lined jeans.

To go outside, I put on a Lands End Squall or down stadium coat (depending on expected level of activity) with hiking or snow boots.  Good luck!

L

Polypropylene long underwear -  get at least a couple that are as thick as you can find and a couple that are lighter weight.

Get a balaclava, gator face protector, rabbit fur bomber with leather on the outside, an arctic parka of some sort, heavy mittens are better than gloves for warmth, I have also seen glove liners that are polypropylene.  I had a fleece lined wool hooded sweatshirt that was wonderful down to about 0 degrees as long as it wasn't windy.  We lived in an area that got really cold but was not windy or damp in the winter.  Get some spikys that slip on over shoes or boots for walking on ice.  

Does the area allow studded tires, (they are great along with 4 wheel drive vehicles)?  A remote start for the vehicle is great, a block heater will be a necessity and talk to the people up where you are going as to if other things are needed.

Remember that warm gear is not cheap and cheap gear is not warm.  We spent a fair amount of our leisure time cross country skiing, there were people that put studs on bike tires and went bike riding, we even saw a car now and then with kayaks on top while there was a foot of snow on the ground.  

Start at L L Bean with wool hiking socks.

Shirts: Silk as an under-layer. Then a turtleneck, then a heavy fleece or wool sweater.

Long underwear (silk or man-made) under pants, perhaps flannel-lined.

Designate a pair of indoor shoes and plan to wear them all day.

Wear a hat indoors.

For the home, rugs and draft-stoppers help. Set out pans of warm water to help maintain humidity. Expext to need a good lotion like this.

For long underwear, I like synthetics. Terramar is an excellent brand. I have the lightweight line, Body Sensors, but they make heavier ones too. These are warm and light, extremely comfortable and fit under other clothes without being bulky.

Overall, avoid cotton (except for underpants). Cotton absorbs moisture and that will make you feel frozen.

This is what I wear for Boy Scout Klondike, when I will be standing outside all day in below freezing temps.

Long underwear, like Terramar

Lightweight synthetic t shirt

Lightweight long sleeve synthetic t shirt

Good quality fleece top, like LL Bean

Fleece vest, if it is really cold

Lightweight, close fitting, extra fleece jacket, but I have never needed this layer

Parka with inner fleece jacket and outer shell

I have ordinary Lands End and LL Bean synthetic parkas, older. Dd, who gets very cold, has a Mountain Hardware down parka. Down is the way to go to keep extremely warm. Mountain Hardware is a great company, into functionality, not just fashion. I see their logo when I watch videos about Everest expeditions.

You might also want to get a down vest to wear in the house. With a vest, your arms are freer than in a jacket. And/or a fleece vest, not quite as warm, but easier maintenance.

I wear lightweight synthetic pants over long underwear, then fleece pants. Many people add insulated ski pants.

Socks -- I get good quality thermal socks, like Thorloe, and put lightweight synthetic sock liners beneath. For outdoors, I have sometimes added an extra pair of thermal socks, if they fit.

Insulated gloves and glove liners. Layering is key!

One suggestion I would make is to shop in a store that helps you select. I am a BIG fan of Campmor. Their staff is super knowledgable and they carry stuff with a wide range of price points, plus everything is discounted. I shop in person, but I understand that their phone help is excellent.

If you are not currently in the "colder climate" location now, I'd wait to purchase clothing in-person until you're there. Check out the local "work warehouse" type of store, and the local hiking/outdoors store. They'll have socks, underwear, jackets, wind/snow pants, boots, etc. You can spend hundreds of dollars, but you can also get more affordable gear. I wouldn't necessarily go crazy buying a lot of stuff unless you find you actually need it. Houses in the north tend to have very good insulation and you may feel much warmer than you were expecting (This could also be the reason you are feeling colder now. Houses take longer to warm up in the summer, and you can adjust your a/c to be warmer so it just removes the humidity from the air).

A lot of layering clothing and type/amount of clothing has to do with your personal preference and activity level. I wear a very light winter jacket, but I'm active outside and don't seem to need a big puffy jacket which would just cause me to over-heat, sweat and then get more cold. Also, the humidity of the winter weather you'll be living can make a big difference in how cold you feel. There isn't always one-outfit-fits-all occasions and people.

Get a hot water bottle.  Sleep with it!  If I am really cold during the day, I will put it on my lap.

Get a really cute hat that you don't mind wearing indoors.

I am currently wearing inside my house (all wool is merino and thus soft!):

wool singlet

wool long-sleeve shirt

wool turtleneck

synthetic snug cartigan

wool zipup sweater

wool scarf (that matches the sweater, I look very swish. :001_smile: )

synthetic longjohns

jeans

2 pairs of socks

slippers (ok, not swish)

When I went outside earlier, I added

wool hat

waterproof/windproof jacket

waterproof/windproof trousers

mittens

Here, we have the trouble that it is not cold enough for snow.  But with 60-120kph winds all winter long, it is COLD if it is raining.

Ruth in NZ, in the windiest city in the world. :001_smile:

Begin with a lacy silk cami from WinterSilks. Silk long underwear keeps you really warm, washes well, and is nice to put on. My first year in Boston I bought pants, too, but the cami seems to keep me comfortable without being too hot. Of course h you still need outdoor layers.

Fleece! I have flee e cuddle duds that I wear under my clothes and sometimes I put the regular ones under the fleece and loose yoga pants on top. L.L. Bean sells fleece socks I wear with silk liners and wicked good slippers. I wear home crocheted wrist warmers or fingerless gloves inside. I also have an electric throw. Can you tell I'm like you and cold a lot.

I love silk because it's paper thin and I can actually FEEL the warmth as soon as I put it on. I buy mine from LL Bean.   It makes wearing three layers super easy. So a silk long sleeve undershirt, a long sleeve shirt, and a sweatshirt or hoodie that I can take off inside if I get warm. 

I also wear nice slippers from LL Bean- but I'm sure any kind will help. Mine are the Wicked Good style that are lined with shearling. 

We have lots of large windows which helps me during those long cold winters. I don't enjoy being outside in extreme weather but the windows allow me to be near natural light.  My sewing machine is by a large window- keeps me from going nuts during those weeks where our sun sets at 4:30. 

This is going to sound silly, but I often feel colder when we visit the south in the summer than up here in New England in the winter. All that air conditioning when people are dressed for outdoor activities is miserable. I have no idea how they handle it.

Silk camis are key.

Mittens are warmer than gloves.

Keep your head and feet covered and it really won't matter what else you have on. Use two layers on each if you really need to warm up.

The best way to keep toes warm is to combine smartwool, sock liners, and Uggs.