Menu

What kind of job for a

Prairie~Phlox

Boy that is very gifted with creativity, building elaborate Lego working guns, has a lot of common sense, learns quickly, but hates math & writing, had a 4-H judge ask him if he was going to be an engineer because of the Lego gun that he designed himself & built, but has no interest in a 4 year degree, does not mind painting & doing construction with his dad, but I selfishly would like him to do more than that. Any suggestions? He's going to be 15 for what it's worth.

I also think construction but all sorts: plumbing, electrical, etc.

Any science summer camps nearby? Around here there are Lego robotics courses for elem kids that may need teacher helpers, etc? Perhaps some creative Lego job? Any legoland nearby? Or lego retail stores? Or 3d printing jobs? Are there any?

Lego.com has a job listing with almost 300 jobs there. :)

How about engineering technician after a 2 year degree at a community college?

I do not know anything about ivytech, but it looks like a large community college system in your state.  Also, this might help your son decide whether or not he'd like to continue on to a 4 year engineering degree.  I know in our state, the 4 year universities work with CC students to transfer units on to a 4 year degree, particularly in engineering.

http://www.ivytech.edu/engineering-technology/

Around that age, my son took a Project lead the Way engineering class.  Part of the class was a job shadow and career research.  DS used this site for comparisons of technicians versus engineers (w/4 year accredited degree).  This class helped my son solidify his future plans (not engineering, but physics instead).

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/home.htm

Also, we spent some time talking about different college degrees and what is involved in various programs.  My kids didn't know much about gen ed requirements, BS vs. AA vs. PhD, college costs, etc.  It has been a long, ongoing conversation around here as oldest will be a high school senior next year.  Plus, we had a frank talk about money and income, including discussing our family income, how it has changed over time.

I would encourage him to pursue the highest education possible in his area of interest. A 2 - 3 year technical college degree may be a great idea. Have him do some research on programs and potential jobs. If he can do some volunteer work or coop work in that field, it will give him a really good idea if those personal strengths match the actual day-to-day job.

This is a little out in left field interest-wise, but my BIL makes prosthetics. It requires some schooling, but I am not sure if it requires a degree (he bounced around in school before settling on this). The skills your son has are likely to transfer to this kind of profession, and he'd likely be fairly innovative--not all prosthetists are innovative, but they probably all SHOULD be.