Menu

What are you using for Earth Science?

I'm really struggling with this one. I wanted to do Earth Science & Chemistry next year with my kids. 

Previously we've used literature to gain our information, worksheets or notebooking pages to record, & then hands on experiments.

I'm struggling with Earth Science because what I'm finding seems watery & weak or YE related.

I'm believe in creation, but I do not agree with a YE pov.

I don't mind if the texts have evolutionary content in them, I often find these easier to deal with then YE. 

I don't mind my kids understanding that people believe in different things.

I want something solid, engaging, fun.

I don't want dry.

I don't want YE.

I'm considering piecing my own together, but science is not my strongest subject & it worries me I'll "mess up", kwim?

Book I'm considering using, based on the ages I'll be working with are:

The Earth Science Book by Dinah Zike 

Janice VanCleave's Earth Science 

Painless Earth Science

The Kids Book Of Weather Forecasting

Awesome Ocean

Leap Into Space

Geology Rocks

We own plenty of Science Encyclopaedias.

If I go through with making my own am I missing anything? Do I have too many spines? Opinions?

FWIW, I've all ready nixed:

Elemental {they only use 3 books, 2 of which are encyclopaedias}

Christian Kids Explore looks too simplistic & I can't see anything besides the first lesson which isn't enough for me to warrant the import.

WP has one, but it only focuses on Geology as Space & Ocean are covered in one of their larger themes.

God's Design For..

Noeo {doesn't seem to have an earth science specific}

For what age kids are you looking?

1) We are also planning to do Real Science Odyssey: Earth and Space this year.

Disclaimer: we have not done it yet.

Review: The biology seemed light.  The advantage is that you don't need a secondary text.  Reading for kids is in 1-page segments.  Activities are age-appropriate. 

2) I've heard good things about The Happy Scientist.  He has a unit on rocks and a unit on minerals.

Disclaimer; we have not used it yet.  It is on our short list for the future.

3) If I was to write my own Earth Science Curriculum, I'd rely heavily on Usborne Books.  Whenever we use a curriculum with Usborne, I feel as though the material is very meaty. 

Usborne Geography Encyclopedia
The Story of Planet Earth
See Inside Planet Earth
Earth and Space

Read a couple of pages, then check out the Usborne Quicklinks for enrichment.  Supplement with experiments found online by googling "earth science experiments."  Feel free to add non-usborne books, too.

Review of Usborne: Currently we're using a 10-week Usborne course on the Human Body.  It's much meatier than Odyssey's Bio 1 was.  Last year, we did a course on the Oceans.  Dd learned a ton and did several recommended experiments from the quicklinks.

I am using Mr. Q for my 4th grader. I am using selected pages, corresponding to the Mr. Q chapters, from Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia, for my 7th grader. For my small boys, I will use coordinating picture books. Everyone will do the labs from Mr. Q, and I have a couple of earth science project books geared toward the younger kids that I will use too. I also have some other supplemental books, videos, etc. that I want to use, but I'm still putting those together.

We are using CPO Middle School Earth Science this year. The text combined with the "observations" (labs) on their website looks plenty meaty for my science-y 11yo. Of course I always tweak and supplement, but so far I think it looks like a thorough program.

We will be studying earth science in the spring.  Planned resources include:

-       Shaping the Earth (Dorothy Hinshaw Patent)

-       Geology of the Great Plains and Mountain West: Investigate How the Earth Was Formed (Cynthia Light Brown) OR

-       Geology Rocks! 50 Hands-on Activities to Explore the Earth (Cindy Blobaum)

-       Ohio Rocks!  http://www.cetconnect.org/ohiorocks/lessons/index.php

-       Selected Basher and Max Axiom titles and assorted other works (lots of picture books)

I am piecing my own together. Don't worry that you will mess up. Look for good resources (it looks like you have) and it will be fine. I don't see any gaps in the resources you listed. If you think those are good resources for your kids, then I'm sure they are. I don't know the age you are teaching, but for 3-6th range also check out Seymour Simon. He has several books that cover Earth Science topics. His books are a big hit around here, and my library carries them all as far as I can tell.

I didn't worry so much about "holes" at younger ages. Exploration and observation re: a few areas is better preparation that force fed info of a broader nature. IMHO

I thought the video parts of CK 12 Earth science (upper level) were very polemic. I am not YE. I am a Christian and it sounds like the OP and I may think alike on this. I liked the idea of using a "free" text along with the video presentations to add a little pizzazz. And I think upper level students should be taught the entire evolutionary theory and taught it well. However, I found many of the videos to be slanted more toward telling you how horrible and stupid people who believe in any kind of creation than toward giving you the facts. I wanted scientists who presented the facts, as they see them. I did not want scientists whose main concern is saying how stupid people are for not accepting their view point.

I remain a believer that God created everything. I am not sure how He did it. I don't think believing in YE is necessary for believing in the bible. But it made me very uncomfortable that the scientists on these particular videos were so much in attack mode. If you really are unbiased and sure of your facts, why not just present the facts and expect them to win out? To me, whether they were right or wrong about the facts, they had an agenda. And agendas do not belong in science - whether your agenda is to defend your view of the bible or your view of agnosticism.

I didn't worry so much about "holes" at younger ages. Exploration and observation re: a few areas is better preparation that force fed info of a broader nature. IMHO

I thought the video parts of CK 12 Earth science (upper level) were very polemic. I am not YE. I am a Christian and it sounds like the OP and I may think alike on this. I liked the idea of using a "free" text along with the video presentations to add a little pizzazz. And I think upper level students should be taught the entire evolutionary theory and taught it well. However, I found many of the videos to be slanted more toward telling you how horrible and stupid people who believe in any kind of creation than toward giving you the facts. I wanted scientists who presented the facts, as they see them. I did not want scientists whose main concern is saying how stupid people are for not accepting their view point.

I remain a believer that God created everything. I am not sure how He did it. I don't think believing in YE is necessary for believing in the bible. But it made me very uncomfortable that the scientists on these particular videos were so much in attack mode. If you really are unbiased and sure of your facts, why not just present the facts and expect them to win out? To me, whether they were right or wrong about the facts, they had an agenda. And agendas do not belong in science - whether your agenda is to defend your view of the bible or your view of agnosticism.

You've pegged me to the wall. I'm with you, I believe God created everything, but I don't want someone's personal opinion of their religion in our science lessons. Present the facts & leave it at that. I'm also RIGHT there with you on teaching evolution & teaching it well, not because I believe in it, but because I don't agree with condemning anyone else's preferences or walking around pretending you know what it's all about when you don't. 

We'll be using It Couldn't Just Happen to go along with our science next year. I don't know that it will cover evolution well, and it's been YEARS since hubs or I read it, but it's a start. :)

Just dropping in to say thanks for starting this thread. I'm starting earth science with a 3rd and 6th grader in 3 weeks or so and still completely at a loss for what to use. I'm also trying to decide if I should just make my own. Mr Q looks too easy. RSO looks great if there was a level 2 ready. ES just seems too......."read an encyclopedia and narrate".

I'm thinking of buying ES just for the schedule, vocab and sketches and then building from it with other spines/ library books.

I'm piecing together an Earth Science year for DD11 - I didn't want to go the textbook route but I wanted something that would make an impression.  So I'm doing a number of GEMS guides , combined with the corresponding sections of Adapted Curriculum (from learning.com), and lyrical earth science.  I have both the Holt and CPO textbooks for backup/clarification as needed.  I'm planning to add in various videos from Netflix and lots of free reading (both fiction and non-) relating to earth science (the GEMS guides offer several suggestions per guide).

I'm kinda nervous putting it all together, but that's probably because I've never tried piecing my own curriculum together.  The more I look at it all together, the more I think this could be a really fantastic year.  I hope. :leaving:

I am using Mr. Q for my 4th grader. I am using selected pages, corresponding to the Mr. Q chapters, from Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia, for my 7th grader. For my small boys, I will use coordinating picture books. Everyone will do the labs from Mr. Q, and I have a couple of earth science project books geared toward the younger kids that I will use too. I also have some other supplemental books, videos, etc. that I want to use, but I'm still putting those together.

We really like Mr. Q too. I have a book basket where I add on topic books to choose from. I put several choices so if one book is boring, he can toss it and choose another. I also look topics up on YouTube and find tons apof great videos to compliment the lesson. Last week, I actually checked out DVDs from the library and he enjoyed that. The lessons are simple and easy to get through, but they still pack a lot of info into them. They have a 50% off sale in January. That doesn't help you right now, but I thought I would share it.