Menu

Help me not be anxious about being in a college classroom

elegantlion

Although this is my second year, it will be my first to take on campus classes. While I've sat through business meetings, led volunteer groups, attended professional seminars and conventions, it has been since 1985 since I sat in a classroom. 

I'll have 3 90 min classes, 10 minutes between the first two, and a lunch break before the third. 

I have my backpack, my comfortable but stylish shoes, and I'm working on outfits that don't scream SAHM. 

I plan on practicing the walk time between the first and second class to ensure I have enough time for a potty break. There are plenty of places to hang out at lunch, including a non-traditional student center. 

My first class is with my advisor, so I feel like I'm not walking in blind, but I'm already nervous. Classes are small between 20 and 35 people registered so far. 

What should I expect that first day? What if I really have to go to the bathroom in the middle of class? I plan on cutting back on coffee consumption. Where's the best place to sit? What else should I consider? I tend to get fidgety when I'm nervous and I don't want my first impression to be that of a rabid squirrel. 

Although this is my second year, it will be my first to take on campus classes. While I've sat through business meetings, led volunteer groups, attended professional seminars and conventions, it has been since 1985 since I sat in a classroom. 

I'll have 3 90 min classes, 10 minutes between the first two, and a lunch break before the third. 

I have my backpack, my comfortable but stylish shoes, and I'm working on outfits that don't scream SAHM. 

I plan on practicing the walk time between the first and second class to ensure I have enough time for a potty break. There are plenty of places to hang out at lunch, including a non-traditional student center. 

My first class is with my advisor, so I feel like I'm not walking in blind, but I'm already nervous. Classes are small between 20 and 35 people registered so far. 

What should I expect that first day? What if I really have to go to the bathroom in the middle of class? I plan on cutting back on coffee consumption. Where's the best place to sit? What else should I consider? I tend to get fidgety when I'm nervous and I don't want my first impression to be that of a rabid squirrel. 

First of all, RELAX! The other students are way too busy to care what you look like, what you wear, how you behave. They see that you are a non-traditional student simply because you are older; no use in trying to hide that fact. Almost all of my students wear jeans/shorts and T-shirts.

The best place to sit is in the front, in the center. That puts you close to the instructor and makes it much easier for you to focus and interact. The front is where the eager, motivated students sit. The slackers who don't want to be there sit in the back. There is actually a correlation between average grades and seating position (there have been studies). Front center, or if you are uncomfortable with front row, second row center.

You won't have to go to the bathroom. If you really have to, leave all your stuff and exit quietly. Leaving your stuff makes it clear to your instructor that you are not walking out and probably just have a bathroom emergency. This is not grade school; you don't need a hall pass and the teacher's permission, Just go.

Instructors KNOW that students are nervous on the first day. You have no idea how nervous the instructors are! I walk into my first class every semester being sick to my stomach... even after twelve years.

On the first day, you can expect the instructor to spend part of the class time going over the course outline and rules. You may receive a course handbook or syllabus. I strongly suggest that you check the school's website for any information that you can obtain beforehand. If the syllabus and rules are online, read them and take note of any questions you want to clarify. Listen to the instructor explain the rules and syllabus and see if that answers your questions - if not, please ask.

Make sure to check whether there are any assignments posted for the first day of class. Do them. Many students probably won't, but this creates a favorable first impression.

Make sure you have, and bring, your textbook to the first class. You may want to ask whether it is necessary to bring the book every time.

Basically, anything that signals the instructor that you are prepared and take this seriously will create a great first impression. You want your prof to know who you are.

let me know if you have more questions.

ETA: Recently, it has become more popular to jump right into the course material on the first day. You instructor may assign that you read the syllabus prior to the first day and take an online quiz about it. You will find this out if you log into the Learning Management System (like Blackboard) used by your school.

EL, I promise that you will be one of the smartest, most organized, and most serious students in the room, and that the professors will absolutely love you! :thumbup1:

If you're feeling really nervous, I'd sit towards the back of the room for the first couple of meetings, and gradually move forward (out of the slacker zone, lol) as the semester progresses and you feel more comfortable and want to be involved in more discussions. Your biggest problem will probably be disguising your frustration with the kids who spend their class time texting and checking FB!

ETA: I agree with Regentrude about sitting in the front once you're comfortable. But as a student with anxiety issues, I preferred to sit in the back of the room for the first week, where the odds of getting called on were lower, and then move to the front after I felt like I had a better idea of the prof's personality, the other students, the way class discussions were run, etc.

EL, I *know* you are going to do just fine.  And I am so excited for you!!!!!  I've been catching your posts here and there over the past year (I check the forums intermittently these days) about schooling, and it has been fun to follow your journey.

I bet that by the time you actually get yourself seated in a class, you're going to quickly become too busy scribbling notes to be fidgety anymore.

As you know, I finished high school in 1986, and I never went to college or university, either.  But we live near several universities here, so sometimes we go to the campuses for various events, such as Chemistry Day for high schoolers or whatever.  We also recently started using the big university library downtown.  I was nervous at first about going on the campuses, but I quickly realized that, well, most everyone is younger than I am, and they don't really pay attention to me at all - they either have their noses in books or they are running around to classes.  But if I stop someone to ask a question or to ask for directions, they're friendly and helpful.

You're going to do fine, and I look forward to reading more!!

I agree with sitting up front as you won't be distracted by what others are doing and really won't even feel like there's a whole class there as you just see those near you and the professor.   I think you'll be surprised by how many others similar in age and circumstances will likely be in your classes.  Avoid the oft mentioned denim jumper and you should blend in just fine!   Look for someone else who looks nervous about their first day (there should be plenty of them there) and start up a small conversation about the class, the text, the registration process, or whatever.  It doesn't matter what their age is, if they're sitting towards the front you've already got a lot in common.  You're both there to learn.  : )   For figitiness I remember Nan talking about kneading some clay or something.  Maybe you could get one of those kneadable erasers to keep one hand busy while the other's taking notes.  It's small enough that it shouldn't even be that noticeable.  You can also bring a water bottle and sip on that as needed during the class

Will your son be working in the library or the student center?  It's a great way for him to get an introduction to a college campus too.  Sounds like it's going to be a great semester!

One last thing.  Read your signature line.  Don't aim for blending in ... be bold and wear some bright, happy colors!  : )

During my adjunct professor days, I loved the "more mature" students.  They were engaged, and being there in my class cost them something.  They were awesome.  I had both of my degrees by my mid-twenties so I really admired the folks who returned to college mid-life with so many other responsibilities.

(Feel old yet? ;) )

Don't worry.  You will be the coolest chick there.  :D  Also, if you gotta go, you gotta go.  It's not a big deal to quietly walk out and then walk back in, even in a smallish class.  Students did it all the time in my classes, and I didn't skip a beat.

DH just went back to school this past year to finish his Bachelor's after a 30-year hiatus of being in a classroom while he had his career. :) He is an extreme introvert, and was anxious -- he sat front, but far to one side of the room, so he could see and be engaged, but as an introvert, had the safety of being next to a wall. :)

His tip: he says, early on, even in the first week or two, stay after and engage with the instructor to make connection and develop relationship, and several times in the first weeks visit during office hours, whether you need specific help or not, again, to develop relationship. Instructors are SO much more willing to be helpful if you run into an issue if you've established relationship! :)

He also found it very helpful to find a quiet, comfortable nook in the library or other building and used that as his regular reading/study spot. If you use that spot just for reading/studying, it automatically primes your brain to function well in that way as soon as you get there.

He says he did feel really old -- but then, he was about 35 years older than most of his fellow students. ;) But no one looked at him oddly, as there are always a fair number of non-traditional students.

He says that the hardest part was that he is a slower reader, and he had 3 heavy-reading Lit/Humanities classes last semester, so he emailed the instructors a few weeks before class and asked if they could let him know which 1-2 books were going to be read first (this was before the syllabus was available), so he could get a head start on reading. He was a book ahead in each class in Jan., and right on schedule by mid-semester and spring break. He read like crazy over Spring break and managed to get a bit ahead again, and by the last 2 weeks was scrambling to keep up, despite being very disciplined in his time. Good thing he worked ahead before school started!

Don't know what courses you have this semester, but esp. if Math, Science or Foreign Language, don't forget to make frequent use of the free tutors that your school probably offers! :)

DH is now about to start a low-residence MFA in August! You can do it, EL! And you'll be great! :)

Thanks, all. I'm going to read this over and over. I'll only be on campus Tuesday and Thursday for fall, ds will be home alone on those days. It will be a good test for his personal independence and working independently.  

If dual-enrollment were free, he'd probably be enrolled in a few classes himself. Alas, they are not. 

Good luck El!  You'll do just fine. I only have one piece of helpful advice ... wear your backpack on both shoulders.  Only high school kids sling it over one shoulder and you don't want to be mistaken for some high school kid.   :laugh:

I want to tell you that when I was 18, I was always intimidated by people like you in my classes. Mature, nontraditional students. They ALWAYS got the best grades. They were ALWAYS well prepared for class. They ALWAYS had the best things to add to class discussion. That was my perception way back when.

Maybe you are anxious. It's new, it's exciting. A little anxiety will keep you alert and thinking the first couple days. After that you'll be fine.

I want to tell you that when I was 18, I was always intimidated by people like you in my classes. Mature, nontraditional students. They ALWAYS got the best grades. They were ALWAYS well prepared for class. They ALWAYS had the best things to add to class discussion. That was my perception way back when.

Maybe you are anxious. It's new, it's exciting. A little anxiety will keep you alert and thinking the first couple days. After that you'll be fine.

I guess this is one of the things I'm want to be vigilant about. I will be prepared and I have years of life experience, and the grades hopefully will follow my work and study habits. I was like you in other settings, easily intimidated by the people who seem to have it all together and it kept me from speaking up on some occasions. I dealt with that in my online classes, trying not to be the first to reply to everything. 

I certainly don't want to detract anything from the experience of the 18 year old in the classroom. I don't have it all together, and I have enough leadership/communications training to not overwhelm a conversation. I just need to focus more on it when I'm anxious. 

Just be yourself.  Truly.  Of course it varies, but the "standard" college student is not the norm these days.  There is a lot more age and cultural diversity than there was when I went to school 30 years ago.

I love older students.  They are engaged and know how to interact with me.  My toughest students are frankly the homeschooled 16 y.o.'s who have never been in the classroom.

I, too, was nervous when I went back to campus last fall. I was afraid of being the 'old lady' too, but I was really surprised. When I was in college the first half of the 80's, we had two non-trad students in the whole school.  Now? They are a common sight. I found that about ten minutes into the first day the nerves went away. As noted above, everyone is focused on their own thing. You'll do great!

I sit up front too - it's easier to be engaged and I hate looking over other heads to see the board or powerpoint slides. As for discussions, this was one of the biggest things for me. So often the younger students won't speak up. Often, I'd comment and it seemed to get the ball rolling. I had an interesting discussion with the PhD student who assisted with one of my classes this past spring. It was a history course that med for lecture twice a week, and with her once a week for a discussion section. We were talking about hos difficult it was for her at times to get the class as a whole to get involved in discussion. There were always a few to jump in, but so many seemed hesitant to speak up. Those who will are greatly appreciated. You're right, too. Life experience gives you a great basis to contribute to discussions. It also makes you known to your professors and this is valuable. Developing a relationship with the professors will go a long way towards making you more comfortable in class too. 

I had to smile at your mention of avoiding mom clothes. When I was in college before, it was a preppy southern school and everyone 'dressed'. Now? In Montana,where most of the school year is snow season, everyone is in jeans, sweaters, and boots. Casual is the order of the day.

Enjoy the atmosphere and try not to worry, you'll be great!