Menu

Apple ID's for kids ???

mlktwins

My boys recently received iPad mini's (yeah -- I get my iPad back :hurray:) and we need to set up Apple accounts for them to download apps.  They are minors (age 9) so they cannot set up their own ID.  For those than have BTDT, do you just put in your own (parent's) Apple ID, do you set them up new ones under your name, or something else?  They will not have the password whether they use my ID (if that is even possible) or their own ID.  They will have to come to me or DH to download anything.

Any suggestions?

You could let them use their ID or just set up another one that seems like it's for yourself but with their name. We let DD have one a while back because we trust her judgement and let her buy things without permission. If they won't be doing that then they don't really need one. I do believe there's something about devices on an ID though, and automatic downloads. If I download something on my phone it goes automatically to my iPad unless I shut it off. So you might want to turn that off if you go that route and don't want every app they download to automatically show up.

My son used mine, because he hadn't got an email and was a minor...and now I get his texts in certain circumstances, like kids who use email based text. I don't know why. It's terribly annoying to get 900 texts about mine craft.

But I have a feeling this may come in useful later....bwahahahaha.

My son used mine, because he hadn't got an email and was a minor...and now I get his texts in certain circumstances, like kids who use email based text. I don't know why. It's terribly annoying to get 900 texts about mine craft.

Do you mean iMessage? I believe that's what's connected to apple ID. I think there's a way to disconnect it on certain devices if you don't want it going to your phone.

Each of my kids has their own apple id (7 and 9 years old).  They use it to log in on their ipods so they can text family.  We also have a family apple id that I use to download all the games so that I can put them on all of our devices without having to pay for them multiple times (one device can be connected to more than one apple id, we just sign in and out to switch between the family one for downloading and their personal ones for texting).

My dc have their own Apple IDs. I don't want their music, lol. Their IDs are NOT connected to credit cards. They got IDs by buying a free app, then use gift cards to add money. When the gift card is spent, they are done until the next ones. No bother for me, lol.

If they did not have individual accounts, I would have to keep track of how much each person spent. Ugh!

We can all share apps and music as needed by temporarily signing into the others accounts. Not that I ever give them my password! They can get apps I have bought and they also share music between themselves with their user accounts on desktop & laptop, so they can download to Sansa MP3 players as well as to dd's iPad.

The new OS is supposed to automatically share apps, music, and pictures between family members even if they have separate accounts. I can't wait!! DH says it should come out in September or October.

No way!  That would be helpful.  DH has his own ID, and I have mine, and it would be nice if we could share apps without having to repurchase them.

I'd just use my ID for everything if the kids had an apple device.  I do love how easy it is to put stuff from my Kindle account onto any of our devices, so I'd want to do that with the apple too.

I like doing their own ids and passwords (and your keeping the passwords), so that they can just load gift cards and use those for purchases. Of course, that does require that you pay more than once for duplicate purchases.

The other option is setting up your id on each one, so purchases could only be made once, but still having them limited to whatever dollar amount you choose to load via iTunes gift cards.

My kids are grown, and I need to disable sharing because I have some really obnoxious music that comes up in my playlists.

my 9 year old has an apple id.  I had no problem setting it up for him.  My daughter 12 and other son 15 each have their own but the 12 and 9 year old use mine to buy apps so we can all share.  The 15 year old asks for gift cards to support his app buying. 

Buck and I are the only ones with Apple devices, but the laptop and desktop computers are both hooked in as well.  Consequently I have a single Apple ID for the family.  

I have it set to always ask for the password when trying to download/buy anything so nothing can get accidentally purchased!

I have 5 devices on my apple ID, but only my Ipad and iphone have my email for texts. The kids ipads/ipods are set up to receive messages on their own emails so I don't get their messages or vice versa.

I am really looking forward to being able to have separate but linked family IDs/acounts. Right now, we have one account that we all use. No kids have the password so that parents have to approve all purchases and downloads. I also have their ipods locked down tight with no safari or youtube or other internet access.

But at some point soon ds1 is going to need his own account. However, I don't  want him to lose all his music and audiobooks that he has purchased.

OP here.  Thanks so much for all the great suggestions.  I'm going to see if I can research that new OS  -- that sounds ideal.  Ideally I would like them to have their own ID's.  Most of the apps they want are free and I will pay to add Stack the States and Countries to each of theirs. 

OP here. Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. I'm going to see if I can research that new OS -- that sounds ideal. Ideally I would like them to have their own ID's. Most of the apps they want are free and I will pay to add Stack the States and Countries to each of theirs.

You only need to buy the app once. Just log in under the id that bought it and download it. Don't pay twice! Apps can be downloaded to multiple devices, 6 or 7, something like that.

Each of my kids has their own apple id (7 and 9 years old). They use it to log in on their ipods so they can text family. We also have a family apple id that I use to download all the games so that I can put them on all of our devices without having to pay for them multiple times (one device can be connected to more than one apple id, we just sign in and out to switch between the family one for downloading and their personal ones for texting).

This is what we do. They have their own ID's but we have one shared ID under my name that we use for apps & music. I use to be the only one who had the password to actually purchase anything but at 14 & 12 they now both know it. We never sign in and out of the different ID's. They are able to text their friends using TextNow and any apps or music downloaded on any of the four devices automatically shows up on the other three.