Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW26

Robin M

oh my!  So, how long did it take you to write?

As I recall there was a lot of lead up to actually writing it, kind of like those Olympic long-jumpers who spend a chunk of time sizing up the jump  :smilielol5:  I found it a couple of decades later while I was cleaning up for a move. It was underwhelming, as befits a 20 year old's perspective on such lofty themes ;)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished #35 - To Rise Again at a Decent Hour, by Joshua Ferris.  It got very rambly at times and has terrible reviews, but I kind of liked it. 

I'm glad to hear this because I have it out from the library and hate to return a book without even trying.  :)

I finished The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry and liked it.  Reading Mr. Mercedes by S. King right now.

Next up, on my nightstand: 

The True Memoirs of Little K

Dept. of Speculation

The Martian

A collection of short stories by Daphne du Maurier

The Technologists by Matthew Pearl

I really enjoyed David McCullough's The Greater Journey.  It focuses on Americans in Paris from 1830-1900--so this is not the book to pick up if you want to read about Franklin and Jefferson in Paris or Fitzgerald and Hemingway.  I was fascinated by the daring of writers and artists who would spend a month at sea, then cross overland by carriage to a city where they may not understand the language--yet were compelled to do so in order to be a part of an intellectual and artistic focal point.

I refuse to leave Paris of bygone times.  My latest audio book is The Moon and Sixpence, Somerset Maugham's novel that is loosely based on the biography of Paul Gauguin.  Tahiti bound before it's over, but at the moment I am enjoying Paris!

I really enjoyed David McCullough's The Greater Journey.  It focuses on Americans in Paris from 1830-1900--so this is not the book to pick up if you want to read about Franklin and Jefferson in Paris or Fitzgerald and Hemingway.  I was fascinated by the daring of writers and artists who would spend a month at sea, then cross overland by carriage to a city where they may not understand the language--yet were compelled to do so in order to be a part of an intellectual and artistic focal point.

I refuse to leave Paris of bygone times.  My latest audio book is The Moon and Sixpence, Somerset Maugham's novel that is loosely based on the biography of Paul Gauguin.  Tahiti bound before it's over, but at the moment I am enjoying Paris!

Jane, have you read Mario Vargas Llosa's The Way to Paradise?  Also loosely based on Gaugin's life... I read it a couple of years ago and liked it very much.  (Not heavy on the magical realism, FWIW)

Kareni, ds is 1/2 way through, 'David and the Phoenix' and really enjoying it. Thanks again for the link :D

You're quite welcome.  I'm glad he's enjoying it; my daughter did some years ago.  (And the free price is certainly hard to beat!)

Regards,

Kareni

Jane, have you read Mario Vargas Llosa's The Way to Paradise?  Also loosely based on Gaugin's life... I read it a couple of years ago and liked it very much.  (Not heavy on the magical realism, FWIW)

No.  Charles Strickland (main character of The Moon and Sixpence based on Gauguin) is rather a (fill in not nice word here) so I am not sure if I would be compelled to read The Way to Paradise as an immediate follow up. Although it appears that Llosa's book covers different turf.

Today, while traveling hither and yon on the bus, I read

Goodnight Tweetheart by Teresa Medeiros.

"Abigail Donovan has a lot of stuff she should be doing. Namely writing her next novel. A bestselling author who is still recovering from a near Pulitzer Prize win and the heady success that follows Oprah’s stamp of approval, she is stuck at Chapter Five and losing confidence daily. But when her publicist signs her up for a Twitter account, she’s intrigued. What’s all the fuss?

Taken under the wing of one of her Twitter followers, “MarkBaynard"—a quick witted, quick-typing professor on sabbatical—Abby finds it easy to put words out into the world 140 characters at a time. And once she gets a handle on tweets, retweets, direct messages, hashtags, and trends, she starts to feel unblocked in writing and in life. After all, why should she be spending hours in her apartment staring at her TweetDeck and fretting about her stalled career when Mark is out there traveling the world and living?

Or is he?

Told almost entirely in tweets and DMs, Goodnight Tweetheart is a truly modern take on a classic tale of love and loss—a Griffin and Sabine for the Twitter generation."

I've never tweeted (and I hope I only twitter occasionally); however, I did enjoy the book which proved to be a quick read.  I know I missed some (many) of the popular culture references, but c'est la vie.

Regards,

Kareni

Sooo... don't hold back.  Curious minds want to know.  What are the, say, top 10 things we can do?

Basically if it's good for your heart then it's good for your brain. Let's see....top 10. I'll list the ones that I feel are important and doable.

1. Drink a glass of red wine a day. A glass = 5 oz. but not more. Also it must be red wine. (One could replace this with concord grape juice....the really dark grape juice but alcohol actually has an added brain benefit)

2. Drink around 2 cups of coffee or tea (green or black....herbal doesn't count) a day....decaf or regular. You get more benefits from regular coffee due to the caffeine (as it has brain benefits for people who are able to consume caffeine safely...not everyone can). However, decaf coffee is still loaded with antioxidants.

3. Eat or drink dark chocolate. At least 70-80% cocoa. No "Dutch" cocoa. A cup or 2 of cocoa (hot or cold) a day is recommended. She actually mentions a specific brand called Cocoavia, but any dark non-dutch cocoa is good. Or eat dark chocolate bars but be wary of sugar content as sugar is bad bad bad for the brain.

4. Eat an apple or pear a day. Or drink apple/pear juice.

5. Eat berries every day. Pretty much any berry but blueberry and raspberry are at the top. Aim for 1/4 c to 1 c a day. Fresh or frozen.

6. Eat eggs and other choline foods

7. Eat at least 1/2 to 1 tsp of cinnamon a day

8. Eat curry specifically tumeric

9. Eat nuts daily. A handful is enough. Walnuts and almonds are at the top but all nuts are good.

10. Eat extra virgin olive oil and avoid corn and soy oil

Okay, I can't leave it at 10....

11. Eat spinach and other dark leafy greens

12. Eat vinegar daily....any kind. Lemon and lime juice also count.

Now that I'm done with the all important FOOD related tips...

13. Exercise. You need a combo of aerobic and strength training. Yes, walking counts as long as you walk a brisk pace. Just 30 min a day and it doesn't have to be 30 min at one time.

14. Be social and join a book club. Yes, it actually recommends this. :D The more social life one has the better.

13. Always learn new things and do novel activities. The brain thrives with anything new and different. 

14. Get 8 hours sleep

15. Reduce sugar consumption

Oh, forgot another food one...

16. Eat fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sardines, etc)

Obviously, lots more but those are the tips I can totally do. :thumbup:

re: Gaugin and The Way to Paradise:

No.  Charles Strickland (main character of The Moon and Sixpence based on Gauguin) is rather a (fill in not nice word here) so I am not sure if I would be compelled to read The Way to Paradise as an immediate follow up. Although it appears that Llosa's book covers different turf.

Yes, well, I'm afraid he actually was a bit of a (fill in not nice word here), so there is a bit of that in Paradise.  But -- not to do spoilers -- keep the faith, he gets what's due him, LOL.

Basically if it's good for your heart then it's good for your brain. Let's see....top 10. I'll list the ones that I feel are important and doable.

1. Drink a glass of red wine a day. A glass = 5 oz. but not more. Also it must be red wine. (One could replace this with concord grape juice....the really dark grape juice but alcohol actually has an added brain benefit)

2. Drink around 2 cups of coffee or tea (green or black....herbal doesn't count) a day....decaf or regular. You get more benefits from regular coffee due to the caffeine (as it has brain benefits for people who are able to consume caffeine safely...not everyone can). However, decaf coffee is still loaded with antioxidants.

3. Eat or drink dark chocolate. At least 70-80% cocoa. No "Dutch" cocoa. A cup or 2 of cocoa (hot or cold) a day is recommended. She actually mentions a specific brand called Cocoavia, but any dark non-dutch cocoa is good. Or eat dark chocolate bars but be wary of sugar content as sugar is bad bad bad for the brain.

5. Eat berries every day. Pretty much any berry but blueberry and raspberry are at the top. Aim for 1/4 c to 1 c a day. Fresh or frozen.

9. Eat nuts daily. A handful is enough. Walnuts and almonds are at the top but all nuts are good.

13. Exercise. You need a combo of aerobic and strength training. Yes, walking counts as long as you walk a brisk pace. Just 30 min a day and it doesn't have to be 30 min at one time.

14. Be social and join a book club. Yes, it actually recommends this. :D The more social life one has the better.

13. Always learn new things and do novel activities. The brain thrives with anything new and different. 

14. Get 8 hours sleep

Well, that is a fairly heartening list -- as you say, totally do-able.  I may have to step up my apple juice and tumeric a bit.  You don't suppose I could do them together??   :scared:

I refuse to leave Paris of bygone times. My latest audio book is The Moon and Sixpence, Somerset Maugham's novel that is loosely based on the biography of Paul Gauguin. Tahiti bound before it's over, but at the moment I am enjoying Paris!

Loved this when I read it years ago. I recall going through a Maugham phase at one point and reading several of his books.

And I'm realizing that while the majority of what I read was written by women I read far more male authors 'back then'. I think out of my 31 books read this year only three of them have been by men, and all by the same author who writes in such a way that I (and my friends who've read him) feel like we're reading a book written by a woman so in a way he barely counts.

14. Get 8 hours sleep

I like this list! Did they say anything about brain-training like Luminosity? I started doing that about a year ago and my brain usually hurts by the time I'm finished.

An aside:  I got  Oh She Glows,  A Vegan Cookbook  from the library yesterday.  I am not a vegan nor a vegetarian but I am loving this book! I think I am going to buy it.  We made pita chips  and kale chips this morning (so yummy!) and had planned to make overnight oatmeal for tomorrow's  breakfast but the power is off (for the gazillionth time this year--one of the downsides of living in no-man's land) so it will have to wait until Sat.   Anyway, most of these recipes are doable, even for those who live in a rural area, like myself.

I think I am giving up on Rules of Civility  by Amor Towles.  It just isn't my cup of tea.   I am reading Bloom by Kelle Hampton right now.  It is a memoir of a mother whose second child has Down's  Syndrome.  I am liking this.   And with all the past talk about Iain Pears' books, I am going to be starting  The Raphael Affair.

I like this list! Did they say anything about brain-training like Luminosity? I started doing that about a year ago and my brain usually hurts by the time I'm finished.

I just checked out Luminosity as I'd never heard of it before. Interesting concept. Ds was fascinated and I found it engaging so perhaps a family membership is in order. Thanks for sharing your experience.

An aside:  I got  Oh She Glows,  A Vegan Cookbook  from the library yesterday.  I am not a vegan nor a vegetarian but I am loving this book! I think I am going to buy it.  We made pita chips  and kale chips this morning (so yummy!) and had planned to make overnight oatmeal for tomorrow's  breakfast but the power is off (for the gazillionth time this year--one of the downsides of living in no-man's land) so it will have to wait until Sat.   Anyway, most of these recipes are doable, even for those who live in a rural area, like myself.

I made kale chips just the other day and baked oatmeal was on the list for this week, too, but I made a berry galette instead. That was eaten by ds for breakfast circumventing the need for baked oatmeal :tongue_smilie:

I have two different library accounts.  In an abundance of good things, I received an email that I have fifteen books to pick up at my local library.  These are all books that I suggested that the library buy; I suspect they were all purchased and processed en masse. (This may be the first time I've ever written the term en masse -- what fun!)  I have six items to collect from my other library.  I'm going to be awash in books.  And let's not even discuss the 150 plus books I've managed to acquire on my new Kindle (only four of which I paid for) ....

Regards,

Kareni

I have two different library accounts.  In an abundance of good things, I received an email that I have fifteen books to pick up at my local library.  These are all books that I suggested that the library buy; I suspect they were all purchased and processed en masse. (This may be the first time I've ever written the term en masse -- what fun!)  I have six items to collect from my other library.  I'm going to be awash in books.  And let's not even discuss the 150 plus books I've managed to acquire on my new Kindle (only four of which I paid for) ....

Regards,

Kareni

:lol:  I know exactly how you feel.  Thursday is drop off day for both libraries inter library loan system.  It appears I have several books stuck in the system.  I was actually relieved when I checked and nothing arrived at either library.  Everyone in this house is a book hoarder.  They seem to like what I have been ordering so very little leaves.  :lol:  My renewals grow.

I have to say most of my favorites are on your board.  I didn't see Vicar of Dibly which I think you would enjoy.  Dawn French set loose on on wacky little village. 

Vicar of Dibley is one of our all-time favourites! We have the entire DVD set. Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to find any pins at all on that show. Need to look again. Thanks for the reminder :). Coincidence: last night, while making dinner, dh and I were watching an old Graham Norton show with her on it. She's so much fun. Love French & Saunders. All that British comedy is fabulous. 

Finished 100 Simple Things You Can Do To Prevent Alzheimer's. It was an informative book. Quick, easy read.

Read this a while back. Lots of good tips. I was just telling myself the other day that I need to make a list of all her tips. 

I must admit that this might pull me a little bit closer (still kicking & screaming) into the world of 21st century e-books....

Neil Gaiman's The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains

There is a Kindle edition w/ audio & video. (My bolding below...)

A revolutionary multimedia collaboration among storyteller, illustrator, and musicians, this digital edition of Neil Gaiman’s story is narrated by the author, accompanied with an original score by FourPlay String Quartet, and brought to vivid life through illustrations by renowned artist Eddie Campbell.

You ask me if I can forgive myself?

I can forgive myself . . .

And so begins The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains, a haunting story of family, the otherworld, and a search for hidden treasure. This gorgeous full-color illustrated book version was born of a unique collaboration between New York Times bestselling author Neil Gaiman and renowned artist Eddie Campbell, who brought to vivid life the characters and landscape of Gaiman’s award-winning story. In this volume, the talents and vision of two great creative geniuses come together in a glorious explosion of color and shadow, memory and regret, vengeance and, ultimately, love.

. . . for many things. For where I left him.
For what I did.

And, for fun: 10 Essential Neil Gaiman Works, Ranked

'Stardust' is on my list for the fairytale aspect of my 5/5/5. I've not read him before but I do like his wife's vivacity and offerings. Tablet posting precludes hyper-linking... http://amandapalmer.net/

I've read two Neil Gaiman books (& both were on the list): The Graveyard Book & Good Omens. Loved both. The Graveyard Book is both charming & a bit spooky. Not a combo description you often see, I think. :lol: You can watch/listen to Neil Gaiman reading The Graveyard Book here.  :coolgleamA:  Love it. Personally, I like having a hard copy of the book in hand while watching/listening because there are some illustrations too.

Good Omens is one of my favorite books. Completely irreverent fun about the impending Apocalypse. He wrote it with Terry Pratchett (a fave author of our family).

Last night I read the contemporary romance Once in a Lifetime (Lucky Harbor) by Jill Shalvis.  I enjoyed it.  The heroine of the book stumbles in to an AA meeting and is taken with the idea of apologizing to those she has wronged in the past. 

"After a wrenching loss, Ben McDaniel tried to escape his grief by working in dangerous, war-torn places like Africa and the Middle East. Now he's back in his hometown and face-to-face with Aubrey Wellington, the hot-as-hell woman who is trouble with a capital T. Family and friends insist she's not the one to ease his pain, but Aubrey sparks an intense desire that gives Ben hope for the future.

Determined to right the wrongs of her past, Aubrey is working hard to make amends. But by far, the toughest challenge to her plan is sexy, brooding Ben - even though he has absolutely no idea what she's done . . .

Can this unlikely couple defy the odds and win over the little town of Lucky Harbor?"

I've read a number of other books in the Lucky Harbor series.  I've enjoyed them all.

Regards,

Kareni

I see that a book that I read and enjoyed last October is now free on Kindle.

The Chocolate Rose by Laura Florand

"Now, in the third book in the bestselling Amour et Chocolat series, a book USA Today calls "so romantic and sexy", Florand takes us from Paris to summer in Provence, for the steamy encounter between top chef Gabriel Delange and the daughter of his worst enemy, Jolie Manon. Hot-tempered Gabriel isn't above blackmail to get what he wants, but what he wants might very well be Jolie herself. Because in the heat and sun of Provence, where jasmine and roses climb up old colored walls and fountains play in ancient stone villages, even a beast can prove he is a prince at heart . . ."

Regards,

Kareni

Okay, BaWers, I'm in a serious reading slump. It's been two weeks since I started The Firebrand and I'm not yet 1/2 way through. It's an engaging story and very accessible but I'm not feeling the reading groove. At all. And I don't think it's related to the book though I could be wrong. What do y'all do when this happens? Pick up another book? Plough ahead? Pause? I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner but this will mark the second week I won't have finished a book. And to top it all off while at the library today for ds to pick up his summer reading prizes I picked up two more books, albeit they do fall within my 5/5 categories. One is Penelope's Daughter and the other is Ragnarok.

Okay, BaWers, I'm in a serious reading slump. It's been two weeks since I started The Firebrand and I'm not yet 1/2 way through. It's an engaging story and very accessible but I'm not feeling the reading groove. At all. And I don't think it's related to the book though I could be wrong. What do y'all do when this happens? Pick up another book? Plough ahead? Pause? I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner but this will mark the second week I won't have finished a book. And to top it all off while at the library today for ds to pick up his summer reading prizes I picked up two more books, albeit they do fall within my 5/5 categories. One is Penelope's Daughter and the other is Ragnarok.

I am in a crafting slump so this week I decided that it did not matter what I did--I just had to do something with my hands to reconnect.

So I say give yourself the grace not to worry about numbers. In the scheme of the universe, does it matter if you read no books or five books this week?  Maybe this is the week to have more high quality time with your son.  Or to dream.

Or to eat ice cream.

I think I'm in an all round general slump, actually. But thank you for the reminder of grace's meandering and bucolic river. I think I shall launch the small skiff of my body into its currents and tributaries with a thermos of tea and some day dreams to punt along at my own pace. Or perhaps I'll roll up my pants and wade in barefoot reveling in that most elemental of alchemies, earth and water...

I'll usually take a break, possibly more than one with a huge book, interspersing with something entirely different, but short (200 - 300 pages) so that by the time I'm doing reading it, I'm ready to go back to the huge one and dive back in for another extended period.

I must admit that this might pull me a little bit closer (still kicking & screaming) into the world of 21st century e-books....

Neil Gaiman's The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains

There is a Kindle edition w/ audio & video. (My bolding below...)

And, for fun: 10 Essential Neil Gaiman Works, Ranked

I enjoyed The Graveyard Book. Haven't read any of the others, but have read Anasi Boys which was quite interesting.

Shukriyya--I tend to agree that you don't have to read quickly but I will answer the what I normally do part.  I generally revert to something pretty fluffy (a historical romance normally).  When I am done I am normally able to move forward with something more meaty.  I have to admit I find crafting slumps harder to solve.   I put pressure on myself because I give away most of my knitting.  Frequently things need to be done by certain dates and that pressure makes me dread knitting.  I have knitted very little recently,  probably because I have a need to produce baby gifts.  I have finished off a couple of old uncompleted baby sweaters to use.  So not me.  

Just as a general car update, we have been able to get it back.  Basically good condition.  They totally went through the content s and took some odd things.  Gum, our spare tire,  owner's manual..... The most upsetting was my beloved sunglasses.  I have hauled them all over the world for many years,  mild perscription so useless to others.  Grrrr.....bought a new pair today.  Dh made me get a much nicer pair so I ended up technically better off.  ;) The car smelt of cheap cologne and needed a good professional cleaning.  Seems to smell fine now.

I did finish I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.  According to my googling some consider it to be the best book of 2014 -- think popular best sellers like Grisham and Coben.  I picked this blurb http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-4391-7772-3 because it is just the basics.  No real spoilers. It was long and rather boring in parts.  A couple of reviews agree with me. ;)  I did really enjoy rooting for the main character a super spy from literally the first page.  I enjoyed his parts greatly but found myself reading through some other bits really quickly.  Around page 200 seriously considered quitting but there was one odd personal issue of the main character that I wanted to see resolved so continued. I ended up reading a huge chunk of the end in one sitting so it was totally engaging at the end.

Shukriyya, when I'm in a slump like that, I just stop reading that particular book. If it's something I feel that I'm likely to enjoy at another time, I add it back on my to-read list & perhaps I'll end up picking it up again in the future (could be weeks or years). If not, I part ways with it & don't worry about it anymore. If I forget about it, I figure serendipity will lead me back to it down the road if it's something I really need....

Mumto2, glad your car is back mostly safe & sound. Ugh about the cheap cologne smell. :ack2:  Sorry your glasses went missing too. People do/steal the weirdest things. My parents have a beach house they've had for many years (since I was college-age). Soon after they bought it (it was a second/vacation home so they weren't around a lot of the time), people broke in. Popular theory seems to be that it was probably some teens, who then hung out & used it off & on until we showed up & discovered the break-in. There wasn't much there yet to steal but they took a few things like some tools & binoculars. There was a pair of sneakers there, turned upside down, as if to keep the sand off the carpet -- very neat & tidy. My mom thought they were my dad's sneakers. A day later, when my dad showed up, he realized they weren't his. His were missing, but these were in their place, obviously left by a neatnik. Also, the neatnik(s) must have used the shower, used the towels, then neatly folded up the towels -- while they were still very wet -- and put them back in the linen closet. Needless to say, there was a mold problem w/ the towels. One of the weirder things was that the master bedroom (king bed w/ king size pillows only) had an extra, regular size pillow left on it; the weird part is that the pillowcase on the smaller pillow was the exact same pattern as the sheet set my mom had on the king size bed. :blink:  Anyway, there were plenty of other weird instances in that break-in. Overall, nothing horrible, just more inconvenience & odd stuff like you've had with your car.

Mumto2, I'm glad you got your car back but that's bizarre that they took your sunglasses and random things.

I need to read more Neil Gaiman. I truly enjoyed American Gods and am loving watching my husband read it because he'll just randomly gasp or yelp when he makes connections. *laughs*

Finally finished The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks today. It was a good read. I also read Amanda Blake Soule's Handmade Home bringing me to 48 books finished so far this year. I feel like I'm lagging but c'est la vie! I'm going to focus on Written In My Own Heart's Blood instead of opening another book. I seem to do better when I focus on just one at a time which feels odd to me because I'm used to having stacks of books that I'm reading all at once.

I finished The Little Book, and ended up enjoying it very much. Sticking with it in the beginning paid off when all the details began to mesh later. It was very historical, real and imagined. The Freudian angle was fun. IMO, the writing wasn't seasoned, but the story itself was enough to make up for that.

I'm currently reading Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen, which is more fluffy than the last book. This is my first SAA.

Neil Gaiman is a boundary pusher for me. He tends to plunge into the depths of darkness in ways that surprise me. I've read The Graveyard Book, Anansi's Boys, Neverwhere, Stardust, and Odd and the Frost Giants (lol) . I Started American Gods, but dropped it pretty quickly.  I couldn't handle the weirdness. Even the Graveyard Book had me shocked in the first chapter. There was no cushion of wonderful detail to lesson the impact of what happened as there was in Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone.

Thanks, ladies, for the suggestions and kind words. This morning I hit the 50% :hurray: mark so only 300+ pages to go :tongue_smilie:

There seem to be a lot of kindle daily deals today...The Golem and the Jinni is $1.99 which I snagged for a 5/5. I also picked up 'My Notorious Life' by Kate Manning, a work of historical fiction set in NY of the 1800s about a midwife who rose to infamy and power which will work with one of my 5/5s. Stacia, for some reason I thought of you with this one. Pam, in scrolling around on the same page as the above listed novel, I came across The Mapmaker's Daughter by Laurel Corona. It's gone onto a distant tbr stack but you came to mind as I read the synopsis and reviews. Jane, there's a Miss Marple for $1.99 which I saw on Masterpiece Theater, 'A Murder is Announced'. I'm thinking you might like this if you've not already read it. Amy, Angel and mumto2 there is at least one Georgette Heyer going for $2.99. Monica, perhaps The Woodcutter for you as I know you're on a bit of a fairy tale focus right now. For those inclined towards American history, Zinn's, A People's History of the US, is available for $2.49. And finally for the Gaiman fans among us, American Gods, is also $1.99. And in the interests of inclusivity...for all the rest of you regular and wonderful BaWers, just because there wasn't a suggestion for you doesn't mean I wasn't thinking of you, it just means I didn't see anything that jumped out at me with your name on it ;)

I've finished my coffee and chocolate. The sun is streaming in, the day and its duties await. Wishing everyone a fruitful Saturday :seeya:

I enjoyed The Woodcutter. It was free on the Kindle last year. I did not have high expectations for it, so it surprised me. Reads fast. 

I finished a few things this week. 

Gosh I love Eudora Welty. I had a love affair with Delta Wedding in college and based a lot of my Senior paper on it. It's hard not to love stuff like this: 

"Then a house appeared on its ridge, like an old man 's silver watch pulled once more from his pocket. A dog leaped up from where he'd lain like a stone and began barking for today as if he meant never to stop.

Then a baby bolted naked out of the house. She monkey-climbed down the steps and ran open-armed into the yard, knocking at the walls of flowers still colorless as faces, tagging in turn the four big trees that marked off the corners of the yard, tagging the goal-post, the well-piece, the birdhouse, the bell post, the log seat, a rope swing, and then, rounding the house, she used all her strength to push over the crate that let a stream of white Plymouth Rocks out on the world. The chickens rushed ahead of the baby, running frantic, and behind the baby came a girl in a petticoat. A wide circle of curl-papers, paler than the streak of dawn, bounced around her head, but she ran on confident tiptoe as though she believed no eye could see her."

I struggled with this one. The first half was the kind of farce I usually find in Faulkner. The situation (waiting for the golden child who's been in prison) built ridiculously...sort of like an episode of I Love Lucy (which I could never watch as a child). I persevered through and found the second half much better as Welty returned the characters to the reunion and wallowed in gossip, teasing, cruelty, celebration, family history, and future speculation. The best section of tragi-comedy was the passing of the old maid schoolteacher who'd taught everyone in the area for 40 years. She had all the virtues of a progressive angel of mercy and the hate of almost everyone in the county. She read in the afternoon! She made everyone come to school! She paid to have a library for the children! She did all this (mostly) without pay. Then to hear what happened to her as a helpless old woman was difficult, but almost symbolic of her hold over the county all those years. It was a beautifully nuanced piece which examined backwoods ignorance vs. progressive education and exposed the faults of each. It was hard to go back to the original storyline at the end and get some closure there. I didn't care. 

Interesting. Not my favorite Welty, but definitely the kind of complex and compassionate conversation I expect from her. This one felt like a Faulknerian farce extended into a Welty gab fest. I prefer the gab fest. I love that Welty is all about people. I wonder if that's why she isn't held as highly as Faulkner. Faulkner is so impersonal, you know? He's all about immovable forces inside and outside of people. Welty is all about the human crazy quilt. 

The Empress

This seemed like an interesting subject. The only woman to wear the title Emperor in Chinese history. 7th century Chinese politics and culture. Seemed like a good choice. 

I will say that Shan created a believable historical picture. She wasn't afraid to allow intelligent people of the past to believe things that we of the present would not believe. Or to be cruel for their own seemingly good reasons. She walked a fine line between what we know about the woman (mostly negatives added by later generations) and making her the hero of her own story. The novel took Heavenlight through her entire life from birth to death. It is racy. By racy I mean there is a lot of sex in this novel. All kinds. I kind of blew past the beginning stuff believing that it would even as she aged. Not really. (I wonder how much was historical and how much was influenced by writing for a French audience?)

I did enjoy that it made her a devoted, hard-working politician for her people. Part of me wonders how accurate some of the information is (did she institute civil service exams and the urn of justice? ). 

Thanks, ladies, for the suggestions and kind words. This morning I hit the 50% :hurray: mark so only 300+ pages to go :tongue_smilie:

There seem to be a lot of kindle daily deals today...The Golem and the Jinni is $1.99 which I snagged for a 5/5. I also picked up 'My Notorious Life' by Kate Manning, a work of historical fiction set in NY of the 1800s about a midwife who rose to infamy and power which will work with one of my 5/5s. Stacia, for some reason I thought of you with this one. Pam, in scrolling around on the same page as the above listed novel, I came across The Mapmaker's Daughter by Laurel Corona. It's gone onto a distant tbr stack but you came to mind as I read the synopsis and reviews. Jane, there's a Miss Marple for $1.99 which I saw on Masterpiece Theater, 'A Murder is Announced'. I'm thinking you might like this if you've not already read it. Amy, Angel and mumto2 there is at least one Georgette Heyer going for $2.99. Monica, perhaps The Woodcutter for you as I know you're on a bit of a fairy tale focus right now. For those inclined towards American history, Zinn's, A People's History of the US, is available for $2.49. And finally for the Gaiman fans among us, American Gods, is also $1.99. And in the interests of inclusivity...for all the rest of you regular and wonderful BaWers, just because there wasn't a suggestion for you doesn't mean I wasn't thinking of you, it just means I didn't see anything that jumped out at me with your name on it ;)

I've finished my coffee and chocolate. The sun is streaming in, the day and its duties await. Wishing everyone a fruitful Saturday :seeya:

Thanks doll, you are wonderful!  Downloaded American Gods.

I believe I have Jane and Staci to thank for all the glowing recommendations of Helen Oyeyemi's writing and Mr. Fox in particular.  I started this yesterday and was immediately hooked.  It's so very strange and whimsical with some lovely turns of phrase.  I wish I had some longer chunks of time to just read it!  Which other books of hers do you recommend?

I stayed up late the other night to finish the Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett, but it isn't necessarily because I was enthralled with the book. It was a solid ok, but perhaps I didn't love it because I felt let down after the lovely prose in its promising beginning.   The first few paragraphs had me thinking I'd found an erudite, literary mystery when it fact it was simply good fluff.   Picky, picky, picky!!   But still a good read.  I know Mumto2 said she has it on reserve at her library, and I would still recommend it.    

Wide Sargasso Sea is going to have to wait til I find a copy with a bigger font than that in my library copy.  E-books aren't killing the publishing industry, rather it is the tiny font in cheap paperbacks!!  I'm thinking this will be a perfect Kindle title.  

Speaking of Daily Deals, I bought The Golem and the Jinni as a daily deal several months ago and haven't started it yet, and I must have 3 different mysteries, including a Lord Peter title that I had somehow missed.  It's time to declare a reading holiday and start tackling this pile of books!!   Forget parades on the 4th -- it's going to be a day of reading!

How could I have overlooked the World cup -   A Novel for Every Remaining World Cup Team

Can't overlook today's literary birthday - Jean Jacques Rousseau

Beach reads discounted for  Nook this weekend only.

I couldn't decide what to dive into next so read the first chapter of  The Translator by John Crowley and the first chapter of O'Brians Master and Commander.  Guess which one won.

How could I have overlooked the World cup -   A Novel for Every Remaining World Cup Team

I couldn't decide what to dive into next so read the first chapter of  The Translator by John Crowley and the first chapter of O'Brians Master and Commander.  Guess which one won.

I'm horrible at guessing ... Master and Commander?   :coolgleamA:

Love the World Cup list (even though Chile just got knocked out -- did anyone watch??? Truly went to the last penalty kick to decide the winner; talk about a match on the edge of your seat!). :thumbup1:

I'll guess that you've started The Translator.

I'm still between books myself....

This seemed like an interesting subject. The only woman to wear the title Emperor in Chinese history. 7th century Chinese politics and culture. Seemed like a good choice.

I will say that Shan created a believable historical picture. She wasn't afraid to allow intelligent people of the past to believe things that we of the present would not believe. Or to be cruel for their own seemingly good reasons. She walked a fine line between what we know about the woman (mostly negatives added by later generations) and making her the hero of her own story. The novel took Heavenlight through her entire life from birth to death. It is racy. By racy I mean there is a lot of sex in this novel. All kinds. I kind of blew past the beginning stuff believing that it would even as she aged. Not really. (I wonder how much was historical and how much was influenced by writing for a French audience?)

I did enjoy that it made her a devoted, hard-working politician for her people. Part of me wonders how accurate some of the information is (did she institute civil service exams and the urn of justice? ).

Really enjoyed seeing your list of books & comments. Have you read Empress Orchid?

I believe I have Jane and Staci to thank for all the glowing recommendations of Helen Oyeyemi's writing and Mr. Fox in particular. I started this yesterday and was immediately hooked. It's so very strange and whimsical with some lovely turns of phrase. I wish I had some longer chunks of time to just read it! Which other books of hers do you recommend?

:hurray: So glad you loved it, Jenn! The only other book of Oyeyemi's I've read is Boy, Snow, Bird. I loved it too, but loved Mr. Fox more. Mr. Fox is just charming, strange, a bit creepy, & wonderful.

All right Robin, you got me with the Beach Reads Sale for Nook. I purchased Dorothy Sayers' Unnatural Death and  The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles. Contemplating The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street but decided to try the sample before I fork over another $1.99.  Anyone read any of these yet?

Oh, and I haven't even looked at the Amazon Kindle Sale yet. :drool5: