Menu

I need lunch box suggestions please

redsquirrel

I am laughing because my kids have never really had to pack lunches.

So ds1 is off to ballet intensive this summer and he will need to bring a lunch. And, there is the little matter of him attending high school in the fall and I guess he will need it then as well. But I don't want to think about that....

Anyway, I need a lunch box type thing. I am thinking one of those stainless steel jobbies like Planetbox, only maybe not as expensive,  :scared:  lol.  I will buy it if it is really the only thing like it, but I would like to know what others have used.

I prefer dedicated items. I don't want to be running around trying to find bowls or a tupperware container with a lid etc. I know my family and that is not going to work. We will all do better if he has something official that is only for his lunch.  I am the sort of person who will eventually get two of whatever so one can be in the machine and one can be in use.

If you prefer stainless steel, the LunchBots are smaller but might work if he doesn't eat that much. Whole Foods sells them.  I don't see students bringing lunch boxes for high school around here though.

http://www.lunchbots.com/products/food-containers/

ETA:

They have a new adult size one which I haven't seen.

To-Go Ware 3-tier stainless steel Tiffin box is also available at Whole Foods if anyone just want to check them out. 

Thanks! Around here I see lots of bento boxes and tiffin boxes.

We bought my 4 oldest kids bento boxes several years ago. They still generally work for the youngers. However, my eldest ds (almost 13) is still starving after finishing the food in his bento. And not eye-roll-starving, either. The boy can eat like no one's business -- out of house and home is an apt description.

I finally bought him the largest lunch box I could find at Lands End a couple of years ago. I then bought some Tupperware which fit in his lunchbox and is dedicated to slaking the hunger of a hungry boy. ;)

Are you looking for a lunch box that will keep the food cool?  Or are you looking for containers to go into the cooler and hold the food?  

I have found that because we tend to eat on the healthier side, with more fruits and veg, and because we are less likely to do sandwiches, my kids need larger-than-standard lunchboxes.  Since your ds is an athlete, he may need more food than usual too.  Be sure you can fit a drink, a container of leftovers (pasta, soup, whatever), some fruit/veg in whatever you buy, and perhaps a block of blue ice.  

The stainless containers are cool but they generally do not insulate the food.  Make sure whatever you get has a watertight seal, as sauces and other "wet food" can leak.

For high school, ask his peers for info.  It may have to fit into his locker, and he will need to carry it or stuff it into his backpack, so that needs to be considered.

For ds I have two dedicated lunch bags from LLB. Depending on what lunch might be that day into them goes a dedicated thermos for hot foods, a lunch bot for sandwich days (these are great at keeping sandwiches intact), various small stainless steel containers for veggie sticks/nuts/fruit etc and a water bottle for water. I use flat cold pack to keep things chilled. I keep a box of these on hand for things like popcorn, jerky etc if all the small containers are being used. It's very efficient and I have the same kind of set-up for myself on those days when we'll be out all day at various events or classes.

I have been thinking about this, too. My oldest is starting high school in fall. I would prefer if he brought a lunch at least three times a week, for both health and financial reasons. I've found that there's this whole lunch box community online with lots of blogs devoted to lunchbox life-lol. Everything from SUPER cute and fancy diorama-style lunches I would never want to eat because they're amazing, to how to create manly-man lunches using Easy Lunch Boxes. I bought two sets of ELBs (I hope they last) and I am collecting lunch ideas now. Sounds kind of nuts, I know, my mom would've just slapped a sandwich together and thrown a banana or an apple in a bag and called it a day. It was fine for me because I didn't eat a lot as a teen, but my boy is 14 and tall and gets really hungry. I'm looking for things that combine a good amount of protein, carbs, and nutrients. Not being able to warm things up at school kind of limits options, though.

If you want to see some of the cute stuff, just for fun, check out Lunchbox Dad.

I learned a lot from food prep videos by

on youtube. She makes all the week's lunches for herself and her husband in 2 hours on Sundays. 

Are you near a Costco? Last year I got soft, flexible rectangular lunch boxes for all 3 kids. They were simple colors, black or gray with various colors of trim. Easily could be used by kids or adults. They don't look large, but easily expand (like a suitcase would), and large enough for me to fit 5 bottled waters and an ice pack for the pool. One zippered area for silverware/napkins and a strap to carry on the shoulder, if desired, otherwise a soft handle on the top. They also came with plastic containers with lids. They are still holding up very well with moderate use. 

ETA: I found it on Amazon just to show you what it looks like. I did NOT pay more than $15 for these, so not sure why they are so high priced here. Perhaps this one is bigger? I don't think mine expand quite that large. Brand name is Arctic Zone Ultra.

http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Ultra-Performance-Expandable-Cooler/dp/B00DY7KPJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403290300&sr=8-1&keywords=arctic+zone+ultra+lunch+box

I have a To-Go Ware 3-tier stainless steel Tiffin box that I LOVE. 

When DS was in school he had a Laptop Lunches bento box.  He loved it and had it for at least 5 yrs.  It held up really, really well and was still in perfect condition when I gave it away last week.  At 15 and very busy with athletics, this no longer held enough food to be useful for him.

For drinks we use Life Factory Glass Bottles with a Silicone Sleeve.  They are VERY sturdy and thick.  DH and DS take theirs to baseball games and I haven't had one break yet. 

For snacks and other things that work well in a bag we use washable zipper or velcro closure bags like THESE.

What does your ds want?

Is he going to decide the lunch option you chose for him is nerdy or too cumbersome?

I would get something very basic for the ballet intensive. If he likes use it for school. Ask towards the end off Sept if the lunch bag is working or if he's seen something better.

For drinks we use Life Factory Glass Bottles with a Silicone Sleeve.  They are VERY sturdy and thick.  DH and DS take theirs to baseball games and I haven't had one break yet. 

I'm kind of hooked on those bottles. I've got lots of stainless steel water bottles which are a lot lighter but I like drinking out of glass. I've got one in purple, a 16 oz one, that is just the right size but I want another one in raspberry just 'cause it's so pretty :D

Me too!!!!!

I have a 22 oz. and a 9 oz. for each of us and I LOVE them.  I want to order flip caps for the 22 oz. ones because I think that would be easier for DH and DS at DS's sports games.

I had tons of stainless steel bottles for the longest time but hated them.  The water always tasted metallic to me.  After using the Life Factory glass bottles, I don't think I'll ever use another stainless bottle again.

I'm kind of hooked on those bottles. I've got lots of stainless steel water bottles which are a lot lighter but I like drinking out of glass. I've got one in purple, a 16 oz one, that is just the right size but I want another one in raspberry just 'cause it's so pretty :D

lifefactory_22oz_raspflip_lg_matte_870_1

I have a 22 oz. and a 9 oz. for each of us and I LOVE them.  I want to order flip caps for the 22 oz. ones because I think that would be easier for DH and DS at DS's sports games.

I've got one but I have to say I prefer the screw top as it doesn't leak if the bottle falls over which it invariably does in my basket. Plus with the flip-top you're drinking from the rubberized top which I don't like as much as the glass though likely your sports-loving guys probably wouldn't even notice ;)

We got great lunch bags from Trader Joe's for $3.99 each.  They are mostly black, and then have an accent color…ours are yellow, orange, green, and blue.  

I'd definitely ask for his input, and being a dancer, I'd be worried about finding one big enough to fit enough food.  At cub scout camp, I saw some kids with mini Igloo coolers as lunch boxes.

I've wondered about those bento things. They are so small! It seems like enough food for a tiny bird.

They really are small. OK for my younger kids (9, 7, 4, 20 mos), but not for my eldest 2 kids (almost 13 & 11). This thread reminded me that I need to get my 11yo a new lunch box.

Are you near a Costco? Last year I got soft, flexible rectangular lunch boxes for all 3 kids. They were simple colors, black or gray with various colors of trim. Easily could be used by kids or adults. They don't look large, but easily expand (like a suitcase would), and large enough for me to fit 5 bottled waters and an ice pack for the pool. One zippered area for silverware/napkins and a strap to carry on the shoulder, if desired, otherwise a soft handle on the top. They also came with plastic containers with lids. They are still holding up very well with moderate use. 

ETA: I found it on Amazon just to show you what it looks like. I did NOT pay more than $15 for these, so not sure why they are so high priced here. Perhaps this one is bigger? I don't think mine expand quite that large. Brand name is Arctic Zone Ultra.

http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Ultra-Performance-Expandable-Cooler/dp/B00DY7KPJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403290300&sr=8-1&keywords=arctic+zone+ultra+lunch+box

Costco has the lunchboxes again this year.  I think there is an ad for a couple of dollars savings in the current flyer. 

I have one & take it to work and on outings when I want to take my lunch along.  I can fit plenty of food in it and it stays cold.  When I bought it, it included a plastic bento type box and an ice pack. 

No Costco and no trader Joe's or whole foods, but lots of other places. He literally has no opinion on the matter so it is up to me. I might just go to Target and get something simple for ballet, as was suggested, and just see how that works. Then we can get an idea about size and ease of cleaning.

Some of the kids at ballet bring big lunch boxes. They are there for hours so they get very hungry.

Our local store carries the Laptop boxes, but I think it is too small for a 14 year old dancer. He's not a crazy big eater but he does eat like an athlete. I think it is just a bit too small.

And buying lunch is not going to happen. My son is happily vegetarian and I think the school serves a lot of hamburgers and hot dogs.

Thank you all for the suggestions and good questions. I have a few days to get him set for ballet intensive. And I am going to check out that lunch blog. I've never really had to plan lunches before.

what you are going to need for ballet will be different from school. dd takes more food with her when she is all day at the studio than when she is at school.

Yes, I agree. I'd probably get him a small cooler to take to the ballet intensive. This will allow you to pack enough food, snacks, drinks to last the day.

Ds#2 uses a 1 liter Sistema box for his lunch box. Some days I use silicone cupcake liners to separate items as in a bento box. If I fill the box full, there is enough food to fill him up. On busy days he takes a 0.5 liter box as well for before / after sports.

Ds#1 takes leftovers most days in his Sistema box.

ok, so we don't have a costco or whole foods, but we do have a local store entirely dedicated to 'green living'. Because of course we do. I love my town, lol.

Anyway, I walked over and of course they have absolutely everything you can imagine and it was all right there to look at. They even have these super cute bags made of washable fabric with velcro that can be used instead of ziplock for sandwiches etc. I will go back and get some of those for sure.

I figured that you all were right that what he needs for ballet isn't the same as what he will need for school, so I need to be flexible. I did go with a set of boxes from the laptop lunch people, but I got the bigger ones (called 2.0) and I got this bag:

http://www.reuseit.com/lunch-bags-and-lunch-boxes/laptop-lunches-laptop-lunches-dual-compartment-insulated-bento-tote-black.htm?origin=product-search&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=comparsionshopping&aff=5151&gclid=CJCygIOslb8CFTJp7AodBjgAvw

I don't have to use their bento boxes in the bottom, there are lots of things that will fit. And the top has plenty of room for a thermos or a water bottle and cliff bars and bags of dried fruit etc. Even a small book would fit in there.

So if anyone is looking for a good bag to carry containers plus extra space you should check this one out.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. You thought of things I hadn't and make me think it through.

Now we will live with it for a while and then adjust in the autumn as needed.

We use a small Igloo cooler with a reusable ice pack for snacks for the boys during our evening activities. We are usually gone from 5-830ish, which is Babyman's prime eating time. Seriously, I have never seen a toddler eat so much so consistently. He eats more than the 10yo most days. :huh:

Just a little tip, Altoid tins make excellent additions to your lunch box. I avoid plastic as much as possible, and metal containers are often expensive. An Altoid tin will hold a bit of chocolate for dessert, nuts or trail mix, baby carrots etc. I love their size and the fact that they are so light weight with the lid hinged right on.

So can teenage girls. Many of those inky dinky ballerinas eat more than my son. The boys at the school certainly don't stand out as bigger eaters in any way. All the dancers seem to eat a whole lot.

Yup, athletes of any gender burn the fuel. I'm thinking wheelbarrows...

thanks! I love that idea and I have some. I hate to throw them out because they always seem like they will be useful. I also have some of the teensy altoid tins and they could be useful as well.

hmmm.....

I love Altoid tins. I have one in my purse with a the little odds and ends that I tend to use occasionally when I'm out and about. Fennel tea bag (for digestive upset), cough drops, elderberry drops (for the first sign of or exposure to illness), band aids, neti-stick (for migraines or stuffy nose), & chapstick. Those little tins can hold a lot.

I ran into a website years ago with dozens of ideas for using them - mini sewing kit, camping kit (flint, string etc), homemade chapstick tin etc.