Menu

Why are things so bleak at night?

Miss Peregrine

oh my gosh, I was just talking to my dr. about this. Same exact cycle. Only it's gone on so long that I began t wake up and just overslept because I dreaded the drepession that day held. I recently posted here about starting 5 htp which raises seratonin levels naturally. I took some last night and this morning and I'm tearing up with happy tears typing this because I'm experiencing wonderful results from only two doses. I smiled today many times and meant it. No forcing or faking. I was happier, more relaxeded and not irritable or upset. I feel premature sharing, but I couldn't post reading what you're going through. hugs to you.

oh my gosh, I was just talking to my dr. about this. Same exact cycle. Only it's gone on so long that I began t wake up and just overslept because I dreaded the drepession that day held. I recently posted here about starting 5 htp which raises seratonin levels naturally. I took some last night and this morning and I'm tearing up with happy tears typing this because I'm experiencing wonderful results from only two doses. I smiled today many times and meant it. No forcing or faking. I was happier, more relaxeded and not irritable or upset. I feel premature sharing, but I couldn't post reading what you're going through. hugs to you.

Funny. . .i saw the 5-htp at Costco today on sale and I thought of your post. My DH used to take them. We called them his "happy pills." Lol

I hope they keep working for you. :grouphug: Maybe I will try them.

Omega 3 (fish oil) supplements can also be helpful with mild depression. If it gets worse please seek professional advice. Depression has physical causes that sometimes need to be addressed through medication. Vitamin D status may also play a role, have yours checked or just start a supplement and make sure you're getting plenty of time in the sun. Exercise too. (((hugs)))

Growing up, my mom told us tears didn't count after 10 pm. If we cried that late, she put us to bed. If we still wanted to cry in the morning, then we could work things out.

I think you're tired and just can't handle things reasonably. I can't do crossword puzzles well when tired, so why should I be able to think through complex situations?

I have been feeling depressed the last couple of weeks. Been trying to fight it, but evening rolls around and it all seems too much. Everything is darker, more hopeless.

When I wake up in the morning, things are a little more bright but then the cycle starts again.

Why?

I'm sorry, Amy. :grouphug:

I wish I could skip from about 230 am until 500 am. It is a simply horrible time of day for me.

I used to get that when my dd 11 was a newborn, so mine was hormonally linked.

Me too with my oldest! He was born in November so the night was long. Like clockwork, when the sun went down, so did my mood. I got depressed and weepy. I had a history of depression, so was worried about developing post-partum. I asked my dad (a psychiatrist) about it and he said to wait until six weeks and see if it was lifting before I got worried about PPD because it was probably hormonal. He was right.

I don't know why. For me, it's not always fatigue; I can wake up at 2 am and everything is bleak, I hate myself, and every fear I can think up is right in front of me. :ack2: I have learned to just shut off the brain, tell myself it's 3 am paranoia, turn off the thoughts, get a good book, and relax.

Sunshine and exercise help a lot.

Funny. . .i saw the 5-htp at Costco today on sale and I thought of your post. My DH used to take them. We called them his "happy pills." Lol

Lol.  That is too funny. I gave dh a dose of "happy pills" last night. :)

About trying 5-htp, sometimes the other simpler helps seem out of reach because of the depression.  It can be such a terrible cycle. Regular exercise, figuring out and remembering to take supplements, diet changes, getting outside, reducing stress, all the great things mentioned in this thread.  Thankfully, it sounds like it's only been a couple weeks for you though? If you're finding that making changes seems overwhelming or feels like too much when simple, everyday living take great effort (a depression symptom) then it wouldn't hurt and could really help trying 5-htp (or something similar), especially since you're familiar with it.  If you're having sleep troubles 5-htp usually helps people sleep better, too.  Just my humble, non-professional, but so btdt advice.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Lol. That is too funny. I gave dh a dose of "happy pills" last night. :)

About trying 5-htp, sometimes the other simpler helps seem out of reach because of the depression. It can be such a terrible cycle. Regular exercise, figuring out and remembering to take supplements, diet changes, getting outside, reducing stress, all the great things mentioned in this thread. Thankfully, it sounds like it's only been a couple weeks for you though? If you're finding that making changes seems overwhelming or feels like too much when simple, everyday living take great effort (a depression symptom) then it wouldn't hurt and could really help trying 5-htp (or something similar), especially since you're familiar with it. If you're having sleep troubles 5-htp usually helps people sleep better, too. Just my humble, non-professional, but so btdt advice. :grouphug: :grouphug:

I have struggled with depression for many years. This cycle started a few weeks ago.

Last night was really bad and I was woken up by DH when he left for work at 4 am :\ so I skipped my yoga class this morning. Bad idea, I know. I am going to walk the lake when the sun is little higher. I AM going to get out of bed today.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Omega 3 (fish oil) supplements can also be helpful with mild depression. If it gets worse please seek professional advice. Depression has physical causes that sometimes need to be addressed through medication. Vitamin D status may also play a role, have yours checked or just start a supplement and make sure you're getting plenty of time in the sun. Exercise too. (((hugs)))

This is just what I thought of when I read your post. :grouphug:

Fish oil, vitamin D, exercise and morning sun. It's my "happy pill."

Hope you feel better soon!

I have struggled with depression for many years. This cycle started a few weeks ago.

Last night was really bad and I was woken up by DH when he left for work at 4 am :\ so I skipped my yoga class this morning. Bad idea, I know. I am going to walk the lake when the sun is little higher. I AM going to get out of bed today.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Oh, loosing sleep makes everything worse, especially when you're hanging on so  delicately.  :(     :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

They're called my happy pills, too.