Menu

Ideas for a vacation update

Only me

My husband decided that he didn't really want to go to California so now I'm looking for other ideas for vacation. I'm thinking we could fly somewhere and then perhaps rent a car and stay at a few different places. We would probably stay about a week. I really have no ideas except that I want to go somewhere we haven't been before. We've been to disney world, Florida beaches, all over Tennessee, Virginia, Pennsylvania and myrtle beach.

There are 5 of us including 3 "kids" who are 16, 19 and almost 22. Everyone seems to want to do something else so it makes it difficult. I'm exhausted both mentally and physically and would really like to relax on a beach. I also have chronic pain so I can't do a ton of hiking etc. My daughters would like the beach but also want more to do and see. My son really wants to see a Major League Baseball game. My husband doesn't seem to care too much what we do but he doesn't want to do a lot of driving especially in congested areas. We get that enough at home. So I guess I'm looking for a nice beach that would be within an easy drive to tourist attractions or something else neat to do as well as somewhat near a city with a baseball team. We don't mind staying in one place for a few days and then driving somewhere else. Pretty scenery rather than city traffic would be a plus. I know those are quite broad requirements. I'm having such a hard time figuring this out and need to soon since dh has to do a lot of traveling soon. Btw we would be traveling either mid July or early to mid August. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Update:

My very unpredictable dh just suggested a cruise. I'm a bit surprised since he normally says that cruises are too expensive. It will also be a late high school graduation trip for my dd as well as an early 25th anniversary trip. So I'm going to start planning and hope he doesn't change his mind. So now I need help with choosing a cruise.

Most likely we would go to Alaska or to the southern Caribbean. We would probably go the first week in August. Any suggestions for a good cruise line. We can t do luxury but don't want a dump either. With all the problems with cruises lately it makes me a little nervous finding a good one but I'm also very excited since I've never been on one. (I guess we will be skipping the baseball game though but I think my ds can handle it)

I'm actually hoping to stay away from an amusement park if possible since we just went to disney in April. It's also really hard on me due to all the walking and standing in line. We also live fairly close to a six flags so I don't want to do that on vacation.

I was originally thinking California would be perfect since we could spend a few days at a beach, go to a game and do a few touristy things in San Francisco and LA area. My dh doesn't seem to think we will be able to find a nice beach in California and that the water would be warm enough. I want a Sandy beach not a rocky beach.

I guess when I think touristy things I'm thinking of either some kind of landmark or historical place we've never seen before or even exploring a different part of the US since we are in the Midwest. I want mountains, beaches, or some kind of environment that is really different from home (like I wanted to see the redwoods in CA)

What about flying into New Orleans, seeing a Zephyrs game (not major league, but I have heard you have just as much fun!) sightseeing for a day or two and then going on a cruise?

Several cruise companies leave from New Orleans.

I also noticed that there is a stadium/team in San Juan, Puerto Rico- what about going there?

Hawaii is nice for beach lounging and touristy stuff but no baseball here. Southern Ca has warm enough beaches but once you get up to central it's pretty chilly. Lounging beaches are going to be in the areas you already listed, FL, SC, etc. Savannah, GA is nice, with touristy stuff, not sure on baseball there though, Atlanta probably has a team. Good luck though, we've been going through this vacation discussion for a month or so since Thailand is having civil issues so we can't go there.

How about Charleston, SC? You could stay on the beach, your daughters can do lots of historical stuff around town (plus stuff like boat tours, ghost walks, etc...). No major league baseball team, but there is a minor league one -- the Charleston Riverdogs. Their games are fun & family friendly. Plus, Bill Murray is part-owner & I've heard he sometimes will make an appearance there....

ETA: If ds & your dh really wanted a major league baseball team, they could head to Atlanta for an overnight trip (about 5-6 hour drive each way). You & the girls could just stay in Charleston. That way, you'd get your rest, the girls would have plenty to explore, & your dh/ds could get in a major league game.

How about Boston?  Take in a Sox game.  There's the city, of course, but beaches close by as well.  Lots of tourist attractions.  If you stay somewhere near the T you won't have to drive in the city, though you might want one for day trips/beach.

I was thinking Boston, too, especially since I'd want to stay further north at the really hot time of the summer.

Toronto has a Major League baseball team, and there are beaches on Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. It's pretty close to Niagara Falls, and some beautiful hiking on the Niagara Escarpment. Niagara-on-the-Lake is gorgeous with beautiful shops, wineries and fruit orchards. If you have passports I'd say come on up to Canada!

Toronto also has the CN tower (right beside where the Blue Jays play). There's a big amusement park (Canada's Wonderland) there as well.

One of our most relaxing and fun vacations was the Canadian side of Niagara Falls- but there was no beach... And I don't know about baseball.

Are you referring to Niagara-on-the Lake? We visited there very briefly in the winter. That whole area was lovely. 

How about Charleston, SC? 

I've heard wonderful things about Charleston and we often think about visiting there. 

Niagara-on-the-Lake is gorgeous with beautiful shops, wineries and fruit orchards. If you have passports I'd say come on up to Canada!

This - absolutely lovely! :D

I hope you find somewhere nice for all. It seems to get harder and harder to pick vacation spots as our children get older. 

For pretty scenery, beaches (fresh water) & baseball - do you have passports?  I'd recommend starting at Niagara Falls (could fly into Buffalo if it's not close enough for a road trip), heading around Lake Ontario to Toronto (will get traffic here, but...) catch a baseball game (so watch timing), continue ALONG the WATER around Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence River.  Beach parks will be plentiful.  Enjoy the small towns and nice views.  Traffic is not bad at all once outside of the city.  Take a boat cruise once you hit the Thousand Islands region.  Continue on... enjoy more small towns and make sure you try some fish & chips somewhere - perhaps more than once.  End up in Montreal - catch another baseball game if the timing works out.  The botanical gardens and some museums are nice here too...  Then fly (or drive) home.  Pending where home is you can cut back into NY and have some really rural driving (but not as much waterfront beauty).  Adirondack State Park (largest state park in the 48 states) is also right there as is Lake Placid if you care to check out any Olympic training venues.

There's more along the way if you end up interested...

Well, I don't know if this fits what you're looking for because it's definitely not on a beach!  But, we did this trip when our kids were similar ages and we live in the Midwest as well.  We took a train through Chicago to St. Louis, MO.  We stayed there about 5 days, and had a wonderful time!  We stayed at a Marriott airport hotel which was really handy, because we could take their light rail to the airport and then transfer to another one which took us downtown.

We toured the famous St. Louis arch, went to a wonderful museum in the same area, took a brewery tour (there are several), toured Grant's Farm which even our older kids enjoyed, toured the amazingly beautiful Basilica, went to the old train station which has been turned into a mall, and rented a car and drove to the Cahokia Indian Mounds.  And, you could always see a Cardinals baseball game while there!

A nice thing about the hotel is that it had a beautiful outdoor pool, so if it's a hot day you can always take a dip and just hang out by the pool.

Outer Banks is a favorite of ours, particularly in Sept.  The same house is about 1/2 to a 1/3 of what the price is in peak season.  I'm not sure if budget is a concern or if you are definitely locked into July or Aug specifically.  That doesn't solve the desire for MLB though.

I know you've been to Myrtle Beach but I think they have a minor league team?  I may be wrong.  I know that's not quite the same as an MLB game.

A NJ beach like Cape May with a day in Philly for a MLB game or museums?  Traffic can be a bit dreadful, and the drive from Cape May to Philly is like 2+ hrs I think?