Menu

Soccer!!!!!!!!

Spryte

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guessed it!   Six of us watched ~ while my oldest son reluctantly headed back to work after lunch.  (Game time was 1:00 PM here.)  

WARNING!!!   SPOILER ALERT!!!  

I was among the .01% of the world (aside from Croatians!) who didn't think Brazil would win this game.  I actually predicted a tie.  Okay, I was wrong, but I stand by the essence of my prediction.  If you just look at the final score, it appears Brazil easily dominated.  Not the case.  They were flat, didn't offer a great deal, and while they should easily win this group, no way will the win the Cup with that kind of play.  For that matter, whether they even should have won this game is questionable.  The ref gave them an incredible gift with that penalty kick, and later, before Oscar's goal, the foul at midfield was completely overlooked.  I'm disappointed that the first match of the tournament was influenced by poor calls (or lack thereof) like that, but such is soccer.

Tomorrow we head into back to back to back games.  Woo hoo!!!

My husband's comment: "The Brazilians won with the help of the refs!" 

I know, right?!  Ah, well.  I suppose we should be thankful.  Who knows what would happen in already-tempestuous Brazil if they lost the game based on nothing more than their first own goal in World Cup history.  Marcelo can thank his lucky stars!

DH always screams out like a maniac when someone gets a goal that he is routing for.  He is a very quiet person otherwise, but whoa he screams and it scares the crap out of me.  If he isn't in favor of a particular team he always routs for the underdog.  So he told me about Croatia getting a goal.  He was at work when he was watching that half.  They are allowed to watch tablets and stuff at work.  So I asked if he screamed out.  He said no and it was very difficult.  I said you must have been gnawing on your desk.  LOL

Haha!  I'm a very….emotional, shall we say?…sports enthusiast.  Most people would justifiably prefer not to share space with me when I'm invested in a game/match.  

Soccer is the only sport I can muster up any sort of enthusiasm for.  I pretty much hate every other sport.  The thing I like about soccer is that it's 90 minutes and that's it. Okay, there *might* be an overtime every now and then, but those aren't long either.  They run the clock and that's that.  Oh, and also, those soccer players?  Holy crapballs they're hot.  It seem like a lot of professional athletes are fat, but soccer players....wooooo!  They are FIT.

I'm really sad we're not in Europe for the WC, because it is crazy over there.  Some places shut down if their country is in the semi or finals.  They make noises and honk their horns as they drive.  It's crazy.  When Germany was in the finals in 2010, I thought the whole country went mad. I swear the air was charged with excitement.  I can't imagine what would have happened if they'd won.  We had soccer get togethers with our friends and drank wine, and ate food and had a great time.  When we'd watch a game, we'd have food, beer and wine from the countries that were playing.  It was so much fun.

BTW, I agree that today's winners were helped by the refs.

Youngest ds could have watched the Mexico game at school today, but choose to play soccer instead. :)  There is plenty of green on the streets today.

And at his end-of-year party, one of the dads dragged along a big-screen TV so we could watch the Spain game.  There was some disappointment amongst the parents.

Next up?  Mexico vs. Brazil on Tuesday.  I think things will be a little exciting here that day.

It's so much better watching the World Cup in country that cares about it.

I guess really I'm the soccer widow.  LOL

Although every game DH watches he asks me prior if that's ok.  Not that I expect him to at all!  For some reason he does though.  And I always say yes.

It does get better at the end of the game when the men take their shirts off and exchange jerseys. :)

What a great day!  And it's still going... woo hoo!  Lots of sound effects here, too.

DH was in Munich in '06, too.  He said it was amazing.  We still use our World Cup '06 beach towels, and I almost cried when DS outgrew his little shirt.  

We really wanted to go to Brazil this year...  Maybe next time.

I guess really I'm the soccer widow.  LOL

Although every game DH watches he asks me prior if that's ok.  Not that I expect him to at all!  For some reason he does though.  And I always say yes. 

Of course you say yes.  You're awesome that way.   :D

I could call you up and put you on speaker phone.  Then you could hear my husband's "sound affects".  Which are pretty comical.  LOL

That would be awesome!  

What a great day!  And it's still going... woo hoo!  Lots of sound effects here, too.

DH was in Munich in '06, too.  He said it was amazing.  We still use our World Cup '06 beach towels, and I almost cried when DS outgrew his little shirt.  

Indy still has all of his stuff from 2010 in his room.  He wanted to hang the German flag outside, since he was born there, but I told him no.  He's got it and his Deutschland banner/scarf hanging on the outside of his bedroom door.  He said he needs one of his friends in Germany to send him more stuff.

That would be awesome!  

Indy still has all of his stuff from 2010 in his room.  He wanted to hang the German flag outside, since he was born there, but I told him no.  He's got it and his Deutschland banner/scarf hanging on the outside of his bedroom door.  He said he needs one of his friends in Germany to send him more stuff.

We have friends who have the England and American flags hanging on their house. It's tons of fun!

Finally have a moment to post.  Watching all these games is consuming!  I haven't even showered since my early morning run.  How on earth can I take time to shower in the midst of the World Cup?  (Wait a sec.  Deja vu!  I think I wrote nearly that very same thing four years ago…and four years before that…and…I sense a pattern here.)

I'm pretty glum about Uruguay's loss.  Last time around, I adopted Uruguay as my new best friend and while the team isn't what it was ~ especially with Suarez on the side ~ I still had high hopes.  On the other hand, it's always fun when a unheralded team (Costa Rica in this case) gets some attention on the world stage.  Loved watching Italy beat England. Pirlo is so in a league of his own, cool as a cucumber in every respect.  As for the ahem, "fitness" of soccer players, let's just say…I can dream, right? ;-)

I'm really sad we're not in Europe for the WC, because it is crazy over there.  Some places shut down if their country is in the semi or finals.  They make noises and honk their horns as they drive.  It's crazy.  When Germany was in the finals in 2010, I thought the whole country went mad. I swear the air was charged with excitement.  I can't imagine what would have happened if they'd won.  We had soccer get togethers with our friends and drank wine, and ate food and had a great time.  When we'd watch a game, we'd have food, beer and wine from the countries that were playing.  It was so much fun.

Yep, totally different watching soccer in other parts of the world.  Two years ago we were in Switzerland & Spain during the Euro.  So awesome ~ especially since it's not remotely on the U.S. radar.  But at least in larger cities and/or areas where there are clusters of immigrants, there are viewing parties to be found.  And I do have to admit that this region ~ Western Washington ~ has a much more intense fan base than many parts of the country.  Still, nothing remotely like World Cup fever 'round the world.

Way to go Netherlands! Poor Iker Casillas. He had a rough game. (It might be a while before the Iker jersey comes out again.)

Sadness & shock!  I so do. not. like the Orange and what on earth was up with Spain?!  They completely disintegrated in the second half.  

Better take a quick shower before Japan & Ivory Coast kick off.  Not real invested in that game, but I need to feed my addiction.

It could be worse though. He could be into ....baseball. :eek:

Jürgen Klinsmann is coaching the US team. I watched him playing for Germany as a kid. Those days classmates were watching World Cup because of Diego Maradona, Michel Platini and David Beckham. Lots of good looking footballers, especially the captains.

I have been sitting at my son's US League game this afternoon in the 100 degree heat. I am the te manager, which means I get to sit on the players' side and keep score, track subs with player cards, keep track of yellows and reds. I looking forward to relaxing in front of the television watching a match in the air conditioning.

Boo, hiss.  I strongly dislike the U.S. national team and am really bummed that the better team didn't win the game.  Now we're subjected to bandwagon fans and media gushing about a Historic Win Over a Small African Nation.  Meh.

I totally disagree. When it comes to soccer, we are a small nation. Our professional league is lame compared to the Europeans and even the Latin Americans. Most people don't even notice the World Cup is being played. The only channel that carries all the games is Univision, so lots of American soccer fans have to make due with commentary in a language they don't speak.

It's a HUGE DEAL that the US beat Ghana after being eliminated by them in 2010 and losing to them in 2006. I think it shows we are slowly getting better and that Klinsmann has improved the team. If it encourages people to watch the games and buy a t-shirt to help fund US Soccer, so much the better!

I totally disagree. When it comes to soccer, we are a small nation. Our professional league is lame compared to the Europeans and even the Latin Americans. Most people don't even notice the World Cup is being played. The only channel that carries all the games is Univision, so lots of American soccer fans have to make due with commentary in a language they don't speak.

It's a HUGE DEAL that the US beat Ghana after being eliminated by them in 2010 and losing to them in 2006. I think it shows we are slowly getting better and that Klinsmann has improved the team. If it encourages people to watch the games and buy a t-shirt to help fund US Soccer, so much the better!

I agree with you. Soccer is not part of the US culture. I was talking to dh about this the other day. He is not a sports fan at all, but I asked him to name 5 pro baseball teams - he could. I asked him to name 5 pro football teams - he could. Pro soccer? I came up with the LA Galaxy, only because it gained some notoriety with Beckham. Other than that.... nothing. It's kind of like, as big and dominant as we are in so many things, we're kind of outsiders with soccer.

And yes, I've had to watch the World Cup on Univision. Not complaining, though.

We half heartedly keep up with who wins via the morning internet news.  DH is Australian and he doesn't get excited about soccer either.  

We are having a garage built though, and the work crew are all from Mexico, and they are certainly keeping up!

I do sometimes like to watch the women's soccer though.  I guess it's one of those sports, like basketball, that women actually play in the national/international league.

It is interesting that so many people in our area have their kids playing soccer, and on travel teams etc... yet it's not a big national sport.

Boo, hiss.  I strongly dislike the U.S. national team and am really bummed that the better team didn't win the game.  Now we're subjected to bandwagon fans and media gushing about a Historic Win Over a Small African Nation.  Meh.

Well, the US plays Germany on the 26th, and I honestly can't see Germany losing.  It would be shocking if they did, but I don't think it will happen.  I like that they are advancing, but I don't see them making it to the quarters.  It would be nice to have soccer become more popular in the US outside of kids' games.  The Seattle Sounders play just north of us, and they seem to have a huge following, much like the other big cities that have teams, but it would be nice if the rest of the country was into it too.

I have no problem rooting for the US in the World Cup, but honestly, I have a really hard time rooting for them in the Olympics.  I know that sounds bad, but so much money is thrown at the US team, and the athletes are so well trained, that it makes me want to root for the smaller countries, whose athletes don't have the luxury of doing nothing but training.

What a performance by the Socceroos today!  I so wanted them to take down the Netherlands; what a story that would have been.  Really unfortunate that they turned in such a fantastic performance and didn't even earn a point.  Biggest mystery is why Cahill was subbed out.  What was up with that?

Wow! Mexico managed to tie Brasil thanks to Guillermo Ochoa. What a game!

Totally!  Ochoa was definitely the man of the match in that one.

Nah, you don't totally disagree with me. : )  I concur that the MLS is sub-par in comparison to Premier League, Champions League, etc.  I concur that most people in the USA don't follow the World Cup ~ at least not broadly.  (That is, they may follow the U.S. team.)   Re television coverage, the games are on ESPN (the majority), ESPN2, and ABC, so viewing in English is now fairly standard.  It's nice for U.S. soccer to beat a team that we lost to in two previous Cups, but the reality is that the average citizen of Ghana doesn't have nearly the advantages of the average U.S. citizen ~ even with regard to owning a pair of soccer cleats.

It is interesting that so many people in our area have their kids playing soccer, and on travel teams etc... yet it's not a big national sport.

Yep.  Youth soccer is pretty strong in this country now, but participation tends to trail off around middle school and beyond.  Still, it's much more present than it was years ago.  When I was younger, most local high schools didn't even have soccer teams.  Here, that's changed entirely.

Well, the US plays Germany on the 26th, and I honestly can't see Germany losing.  It would be shocking if they did, but I don't think it will happen.  I like that they are advancing, but I don't see them making it to the quarters.

If Germany maintains their usual discipline, they're unbeatable.  I think the U.S. will be the second team in that group to advance, though.  Certainly, they stand as good a chance as Ghana or Portugal.

The Seattle Sounders play just north of us, and they seem to have a huge following, much like the other big cities that have teams, but it would be nice if the rest of the country was into it too.

I didn't know you were in my neck of the woods!  The Sounders fan support is exceptional in the MLS.  Average attendance of 40,000+ is unheard of in the United States, but this region has the necessary level of interest and money.  Great stadium doesn't hurt, either. : )

I have no problem rooting for the US in the World Cup, but honestly, I have a really hard time rooting for them in the Olympics.  I know that sounds bad, but so much money is thrown at the US team, and the athletes are so well trained, that it makes me want to root for the smaller countries, whose athletes don't have the luxury of doing nothing but training.

Same is true with regard to the World Cup; all countries are not created equal wrt to funding, be it private or public.  In the Olympics, much depends on the sport in question.  

Indy is pulling for Germany all the way.  He's a die hard Deutschland supporter.  He says he was born there, spent most of his life there, thus far, so they are HIS team.  ;)

We're going to be in Disney World when the US and German play, and he wanted to know if we could go back to the hotel to watch the game that day.  Um...I don't know.  It's an awful lot of money to spend to stay in the hotel and watch soccer.  Maybe we'll go to Germany in EPCOT and see if they have the game on in one of the pubs.   :D

I've never been a sports fan AT ALL but this week I got the strangest desire to watch soccer. I didn't even know the World Cup was on. Now I'm hooked. I absolutely love it! The males here in my house hate soccer with a passion so I'm on my own.

I've never been a sports fan AT ALL but this week I got the strangest desire to watch soccer. I didn't even know the World Cup was on. Now I'm hooked. I absolutely love it! The males here in my house hate soccer with a passion so I'm on my own.

Yeah, it's kinda fun, huh? I always thought I hated soccer. Thought it was boring. But I'd never watched a real game. It's great. I startd watching a couple years ago, picking up games when I could on the Spanish language channels. Those guys are good! I'd rather watch soccer than football any day, now!