Menu

The Navy Recruiter and My Son

stephanier.1765

My son just recently started working at Panera. Yesterday as he's taking plates to tables, a navy recruiter starts, well, recruiting. She asks him where he went to school and when he replies that he was homeschooled she says, "You have really good social skills for being homeschooled."  :001_rolleyes: 

Seriously? Seriously! Just when you think we've come so far.

He should have replied, "I would have thought Navy recruiters would have better social skills." ;)

And was she seriously trying to recruit him at Panera? Boundary issues, anyone? :glare:

Sounds like somebody takes her job a little too seriously.

I would have a few very choice words for anyone who tried to recruit my ds for anything when he was at Panera -- and they would not be, "Thank you."

He should have replied, "I would have thought Navy recruiters would have better social skills." ;)

And was she seriously trying to recruit him at Panera? Boundary issues, anyone? :glare:

I would have a few very choice words for anyone who tried to recruit my ds for anything when he was at Panera -- and they would not be, "Thank you."

Ditto everything you just said. When he was telling me this story, I had an extreme urge to punch the recruiter and I'm not a violent person. So many lines were crossed. Besides, I thought we were downsizing our military.

Really? My son got a good job from a customer at his coffee shop job. The guy really liked his manner and asked him to call him if he was interested in a career change. One thing led to another. I think is is pretty normal for people looking for good employees to approach people who appear to be doing a good job. But if you don't see military service as a 'job' you might not see it that way. To me, it is primarily a job.

On a website that matches you up with colleges, my foster daughter accidentally clicked on the "interested" button re: the National Guard. She just thought "oops" and went on but the site has her contact info.

So a couple of days ago, a National Guard recruiter calls. DFD wasn't at home and my husband answered. After the recruiter id's himself, he asks that DFD call back. Husband forgets to tell her. Recruiter calls again. Husband apologizes and says he'll tell her and have her return call this time, but adds, "I don't think she is interested, though."

Oh, my! Talk about upset!

Recruiter (beligerently): Well, I'll have you know, sir, that she IS interested because she said so! And let me inform you that as long as she is at least 17 years old, she can join without your permission."

Husband: No one is trying to prevent her from it although she has another year of school. I just meant that I'm pretty sure she accidentally clicked on the National Guard. Her plans, for right now, are to finish high school and then go to college."

Recruiter: We have many wonderful opportunities and you don't have a right to tell her whether she can join or not."

Husband: I repeat, when she is 18, she can do what she wants, but I don't believe she is interested. I will have her call you, either way.

Recruiter: She really should be allowed to make up her own mind.

Husband: When she is 18 and has graduated, she can make up her own mind. I'll have her call you. Thank you for considering her.

I wouldn't have been as polite as my husband.

My 12-turning-13 year old has been at school for the past 5 weeks, for the first time in his life. I met with his LA teacher yesterday, and though it was a very positive conference, she did manage to get in that, "I notice his social skills were not up to the level of the other students, but it's been shown in studies (LOL!) that this is a problem for home schooled students."

I passed the bean dip. What "studies" did she mean I wonder?

Good grief! You'd think that someone was trying to recruit the op's son for some kind of weird cult or something. If the person in question was the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, would you all be so offended by the recruiting? Is it so shameful to serve one's country in the armed forces??The Navy recruiter's remark was, admittedly, ignorant, but you have to admit, there are some homeschooled kids who are just plain weird (of course, some public-schooled kids are weirdos, as well). Hopefully, the op's son just smiled and said, "Thank you!" 

On a website that matches you up with colleges, my foster daughter accidentally clicked on the "interested" button re: the National Guard. She just thought "oops" and went on but the site has her contact info.

So a couple of days ago, a National Guard recruiter calls. DFD wasn't at home and my husband answered. After the recruiter id's himself, he asks that DFD call back. Husband forgets to tell her. Recruiter calls again. Husband apologizes and says he'll tell her and have her return call this time, but adds, "I don't think she is interested, though."

Oh, my! Talk about upset!

Recruiter (beligerently): Well, I'll have you know, sir, that she IS interested because she said so! And let me inform you that as long as she is at least 17 years old, she can join without your permission."

Husband: No one is trying to prevent her from it although she has another year of school. I just meant that I'm pretty sure she accidentally clicked on the National Guard. Her plans, for right now, are to finish high school and then go to college."

Recruiter: We have many wonderful opportunities and you don't have a right to tell her whether she can join or not."

Husband: I repeat, when she is 18, she can do what she wants, but I don't believe she is interested. I will have her call you, either way.

Recruiter: She really should be allowed to make up her own mind.

Husband: When she is 18 and has graduated, she can make up her own mind. I'll have her call you. Thank you for considering her.

I wouldn't have been as polite as my husband.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What an IDIOT!!!!!!! :angry:

Good grief! You'd think that someone was trying to recruit the op's son for some kind of weird cult or something. If the person in question was the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, would you all be so offended by the recruiting? Is it so shameful to serve one's country in the armed forces??The Navy recruiter's remark was, admittedly, ignorant, but you have to admit, there are some homeschooled kids who are just plain weird (of course, there are also some public-schooled kids are weirdos, as well). Hopefully, the op's son just smiled and said, "Thank you!"

Oh please. :glare:

No one said anything about it being "shameful" to serve one's country in the armed forces.

No one said anything even remotely similar to that!

I'm sorry if you don't like it, but I would be livid if some recruiter showed up at Panera and tried to recruit my teenaged son into the military -- or any other organization. LIVID.

I'm sorry if you don't like it, but I would be livid if some recruiter showed up at Panera and tried to recruit my teenaged son into the military -- or any other organization. LIVID.

I just don't think it's worth getting that worked up over...

I just don't think it's worth getting that worked up over...

Not for anything, but you're the one who accused people of thinking it was shameful to serve in the armed forces, when all we were saying was that it was incredibly inappropriate for this particular recruiter to have tried to recruit the OP's son at Panera.

I think you might have been more worked up than we were. ;)

Oh well. No big deal. I'm sorry we misunderstood each other.

Not for anything, but you're the one who accused people of thinking it was shameful to serve in the armed forces, when all we were saying was that it was incredibly inappropriate for this particular recruiter to have tried to recruit the OP's son at Panera.

I think you might have been more worked up than we were. ;)

Oh well. No big deal. I'm sorry we misunderstood each other.

Not worked up. Just throwing out a thought.  :)

Both my dh and father are retired military, so I definitely don't think there's anything shameful about serving. I do think there is a time and place to recruit and while someone is being paid to do a job is not one of them. What got me seeing red was the homeschool comment. It implied so many things some of which she probably didn't even mean but it still get my mama bear coming out.

No you don't, but the 17 year old signing is provisional at that point.  Basically you sign, and when you turn 18 you can change your mind.  They don't send you off to basic until 18.

I am strictly going by my situation at that age though.  Don't know if there have been changes since.

Ah okay.

You are in, but not fully in.

Good grief! You'd think that someone was trying to recruit the op's son for some kind of weird cult or something. If the person in question was the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, would you all be so offended by the recruiting? Is it so shameful to serve one's country in the armed forces??The Navy recruiter's remark was, admittedly, ignorant, but you have to admit, there are some homeschooled kids who are just plain weird (of course, some public-schooled kids are weirdos, as well). Hopefully, the op's son just smiled and said, "Thank you!" 

Yes, it's the homeschool comment.  I also think it's inappropriate for a paid recruiter to start hitting up employees at a business.  It's no different than someone stopping my daughter if she worked at a restaurant and trying to get her to buy Avon.  A CEO would have a much less vested interest in recruiting a teenager working at a restaurant. 

I'm certainly not anti-military, but your post made me rethink the entire situation, and I think it's inappropriate of the recruiter. 

My 12-turning-13 year old has been at school for the past 5 weeks, for the first time in his life. I met with his LA teacher yesterday, and though it was a very positive conference, she did manage to get in that, "I notice his social skills were not up to the level of the other students, but it's been shown in studies (LOL!) that this is a problem for home schooled students."

What a stupid thing to say!  

As if there are all these "social skills" that school kids all excel at!

Yeah, what studies?  How come I haven't heard of them?

"Hmm, I'm not aware of any such studies, Ms. X.  If you can send copies home with DC, I'd be very interested in reading them."