Menu

Student ID needed for my dd's ear piercing and I don't have one

Annie Laurie

Any ideas for alternate forms of ID? I should go to the stupid DPS and wait forever and just get it over with and get each of my kids a state ID for situations like this, since they don't go to school and don't have a student ID. It looks like we might be moving out of state soon though so I don't want to until I know for sure.

She was promised that we'd take her to get her ears pierced for her 12th birthday, but every piercing salon or tattoo parlor with good ratings has told me she needs an ID too, along with her birth certificate. I totally understand why, I just hate to disappoint her, and her birthday is next week. Way to go mom, on waiting until the last minute to call around for info on this! Any other ideas for forms of ID they might accept?

Why not call the place and just ask? Alert them to the fact that students exist who don't fit the one-size-fits-all mold of having a standard school ID card. I'd be tempted to print one of my own. How would some other random relative have access to a birth certificate anyway? Ours is stored in a lockbox.

Erica in OR

Make one, print it, laminate it. Give your homeschool a name and make the ID official looking with a seal. I'd they ask, say you're registered homeschoolers with the state (if you are) and that this is your student ID. All true.

I printed one for my son and that was useful for awhile, but at about 13, he needed a passport for a summer camp.  THAT was a hassle, but I was also glad I had done it.  It came in really handy in a number of circumstances in the following years.  Of course, he was a little miffed that his 13yo self was on the passport he used to travel in Italy with this fellow seniors at high school.  Heh heh.  I TOLD him (at the time) he would regret that particular haircut.  

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the mom.  :0)  

I printed one for my son and that was useful for awhile, but at about 13, he needed a passport for a summer camp. THAT was a hassle, but I was also glad I had done it. It came in really handy in a number of circumstances in the following years. Of course, he was a little miffed that his 13yo self was on the passport he used to travel in Italy with this fellow seniors at high school. Heh heh. I TOLD him (at the time) he would regret that particular haircut.

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the mom. :0)

Why did he need a passport for summer camp? It seems like a weird ID to require, unless it was one of those fancy schmancy summer camps where there was world travel on the weekends. ;)

Why did he need a passport for summer camp? It seems like a weird ID to require, unless it was one of those fancy schmancy summer camps where there was world travel on the weekends. ;)

It was in Canada.  :0)

You can get an ID from DMV.  It looks just like a license, but is just an ID.  I don't think they are super expensive. 

We just got a state ID from the DMV here for my daughter to use to take the ACT. Check to make sure they don't have to mail the ID to you in your state. I had expected to just be handed the ID, but evidently now they mail both licenses and IDs, which can take up to 10 days. Luckily we went far enough in advance that it wasn't a time crunch. We also ran into issues with proof of residency for her. I had to take her birth certificate, original social security card, and provide another form of proof of residency, something official with her name and address on it like a school transcript/utility bill/etc. Unfortunately, at 13 she's not paying any of the utilities ;) and when I called the state office, they said I could sign an affadavit of her residency. They neglected to tell me there was an additional $2 charge. Luckily, I took extra cash (they don't take cards), because things always cost more than expected when the government is involved!

Not to mention EXPENSIVE

Yeah.  It was about $60 at the time.  But he had to have it, so we got it.  All I was saying is that once we had it, it was very useful in a number of situations.  It's getting more so these days, as more and more situations are coming up where people have to prove that they are parents of minors...the passport required both my dh and I to sign the application, notarized, with birth certificate.  So when my son needed his "proofs" for things, the passport served the purpose of proving parental "ownership" (sorry, can't think of the right word) and birth date.  

Thank heavens he's finally 18.  :0)

I can't remember why but one of my friends was insistent that her kids have passports as soon as possible...maybe it was for convenience.  But that probably influenced me.  I seem to recall that we got my son's first passport when he was age 7, when it looked like my dh was going to get to travel in Europe for business and HECK IF I AM STAYING HOME while he is in FRANCE!!!  :0)  He never did get that job, though.

Why not call the place and just ask? Alert them to the fact that students exist who don't fit the one-size-fits-all mold of having a standard school ID card. I'd be tempted to print one of my own. How would some other random relative have access to a birth certificate anyway? Ours is stored in a lockbox.

Erica in OR

I did call and ask, which is what prompted this thread. I told the lady I spoke to that my dd is homeschooled, and she said it's state law and she has to have a valid ID. I did think of printing one of my own, but I don't know if they'll accept it or not. When I asked her what else I could use if I don't have a school ID, she said an ID with her photo on it.

Is this a state thing?  I don't remember having to show anything for my dd's.

ETA.  Do elementary schools in your area even issue ID cards?  I've also never heard of that.

Yes, it is state law.

Make one, print it, laminate it. Give your homeschool a name and make the ID official looking with a seal. I'd they ask, say you're registered homeschoolers with the state (if you are) and that this is your student ID. All true.

Yes, we used to have homemade IDs and I guess I could just update them and see if it works.

I have never heard of such a thing!

Maybe you should just check and see if you can get her ears pierced at the doctor's office.

That's a good idea, I don't know I hadn't thought of that.

Wow.  I have never heard of that.  It definitely isn't required here.  Goodness.  What about an ID through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op?  Those can be created really quickly.

I think I will try that, thanks!

We just got a state ID from the DMV here for my daughter to use to take the ACT. Check to make sure they don't have to mail the ID to you in your state. I had expected to just be handed the ID, but evidently now they mail both licenses and IDs, which can take up to 10 days. Luckily we went far enough in advance that it wasn't a time crunch. We also ran into issues with proof of residency for her. I had to take her birth certificate, original social security card, and provide another form of proof of residency, something official with her name and address on it like a school transcript/utility bill/etc. Unfortunately, at 13 she's not paying any of the utilities ;) and when I called the state office, they said I could sign an affadavit of her residency. They neglected to tell me there was an additional $2 charge. Luckily, I took extra cash (they don't take cards), because things always cost more than expected when the government is involved!

Thanks for this info! I hate dealing with the DPS (DMV, it's just called DPS here), and this is a good reminder to check on all details before going there, if I do.

Wow, I'd say WHOA!  this doesn't seem right.  I agree with pp - why should they care.  And, in fact, parents have their babies' ears pierced and they won't have an ID!  Birth certificate?  Really?

We had our dd's ears pierced at a tattoo parlor b/c learned from nmoira that it was the best route to go.  That was 2 years ago and they did NOT ask for a birth certificate or student id.  I wouldn't have supplied one b/c I don't think it's any of their business - sorry! 

I just read where you said it's a state law.  Still.........

Many peds offer ear piercings.  Maybe that would work for you.

ETA. Do elementary schools in your area even issue ID cards? I've also never heard of that.

My school district issues a photo ID card every year stating the child's name, grade level, school year and name of school. The photo for the photo ID is use for the school yearbook.

The YMCA issues photo ID for children members too. My city also issues photo ID for the city's youth golf program.

Wow, I'd say WHOA!  this doesn't seem right.  I agree with pp - why should they care.  And, in fact, parents have their babies' ears pierced and they won't have an ID!  Birth certificate?  Really?

We had our dd's ears pierced at a tattoo parlor b/c learned from nmoira that it was the best route to go.  That was 2 years ago and they did NOT ask for a birth certificate or student id.  I wouldn't have supplied one b/c I don't think it's any of their business - sorry! 

I just read where you said it's a state law.  Still.........

Many peds offer ear piercings.  Maybe that would work for you.

I'm wondering how often the dr's office does it though, and if the same person always does it or what. I will call and find out, but I think I prefer the tattoo/piercing place because they have so much experience.

I'm not bothered by the requirement. I understand why- they don't want someone taking a kid and getting their ears pierced if they're not the parents, to protect themselves from law suits. I had thought my ID and the birth certificate would be enough, but I'll probably just try printing my own ID for dd now. Homeschools are considered private schools here, so my homeschool issued ID should be perfectly legal. We will see what they say at the piercing place though, that's the issue. I sometimes have to talk for awhile before getting a homeschool discount at certain stores too, most people don't understand homeschool laws and want something that is "official" in their eyes.

I would probably use our notarized affidavit of homeschooling for proof of residence. However, generally birth certificate plus proof of residence of parent are sufficient in combination. A child's domicile is that of the parents by default.